• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sullichin

dark chaos blade

Do you have numbers? Interested to know if Resonant Weapon got a stealthy un-nerfing. But I feel like we would have heard about that by now. Last I tried it there was no reason to go resonant over Dark Weapon. It was definitely the way to go when the game was released though.

Do you have numbers? Interested to know if Resonant Weapon got a stealthy un-nerfing. But I feel like we would have heard about that by now. Last I tried it there was no reason to go resonant over Dark Weapon. It was definitely the way to go when the game was released though.

I just tried testing it in some grunt mobs with my Dark Black Cryptsword in the Forest and damage was almost identical. Only a few damage points different.

Dark weapon did 792 and Resonant did 788. Resonant was worse, totally not worth it.

Braag

How high should I take my soul level? Just as high as I want? Are there any downsides for taking it too high?
I'm on NG+ at the end of Drangleic Castle and I'm at SL 215.
I don't really know what else to use my souls on than to level up. I have plenty of consumables, I've bought pretty much every armor set or weapon you can buy from stores, so I just use my souls to level up or upgrade my some gear.

How high should I take my soul level? Just as high as I want? Are there any downsides for taking it too high?
I don't really know what else to use my souls on than to level up. I have plenty of consumables, I've bought pretty much every armor set or weapon you can buy from stores, so I just use my souls to level up or upgrade my some gear.

Take it as high as you want, Soul Memory ensures that other folks will always out level you if you arbitrarily stop. If that doesn't bother you, stop where you think your build is good enough.

There's no downside that I'm aware of, match making still occurs since it's based off SM not SL. You could up your equip load since you take significant stamina regen penalties when you reach 50% of your equip load. You take some stamina regen penalties for each 10% of your equip load above 0, but 50% and 60% are really high amounts. Also leveling up your health isn't a bad idea, unless you'e already gone beyond the 50. You could also invest in some attunement so you can use buffs on your weapons. If you're power-stanching you can put the catalyst or whatever item you're using to buff your weapon in your right hand, buff your left hand weapon, then use a consumable buff to buff your right hand weapon. You can also mix and match so one is fire one is dark, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
i stopped at 150 cos i felt like maxing everything isn't so much fun but stop whenever you want

i'm on ng+++ and i decided to go up to 160 to put some points into vit and be able to wear heavier armor.

so yea since this game uses soul memory for matchmaking just stop whenever you feel like it

Low level axes? the bandid axe in no man wharf.
yea just having fun with a new character, so looking for weapon types i haven't used yet.

bandit axe is the one i'm using right now, it's got a pretty decent moveset but seems like it has really crap scaling so i figured i'd ask more

i stopped at 150 cos i felt like maxing everything isn't so much fun but stop whenever you want

i'm on ng+++ and i decided to go up to 160 to put some points into vit and be able to wear heavier armor.

so yea since this game uses soul memory for matchmaking just stop whenever you feel like it

yea just having fun with a new character, so looking for weapon types i haven't used yet.

bandit axe is the one i'm using right now, it's got a pretty decent moveset but seems like it has really crap scaling so i figured i'd ask more

I use this on my 150 Strength build. +0 and always buffed with resin. It's become my favorite weapon. I do very well in PvP with this lovely axe.

You can go to the dragon shrine to get the drake keeper axe and dragon greataxe, the old knight axe in Heide, the lion warriors greataxe and I think the butcher knife is an axe

Mistel

Banned
thanks. that aldia hammer looks pretty sick

any more axe/hammer suggestions? those two are pretty high level
For early game the barbed club, craftsmans hammer, blacksmith hammer, battle axe, and dragonslayer axe. If you've got nothing against trying greataxes then the lion greataxe and bandit greataxes are two you can get early that are good.
You're better than the Dark Souls wiki. I really hate how they made binoculars a weapon. would have been nice if it remained where it was.
I can't think of why it changed to be the way it is.

Dyno

What is the best armor-to-weight-ratio? My VIT is all the way up to 49 and I was previously at the 64% Equip Load with the Alone Knight Captain set maxed out. Dark Armor seems okay but I want to get it in the 40's and curious if there's better sets than Dark Armor.

I recently spent some time comparing the more knightly armours. I was surprised to find the new Drakeblood Set (from 2nd DLC) has amazing physical defense to weight ratio. It's no good for much else but since so much of the game is just physical damage you can get a lot of use out of it.

Mistel

Banned
You can use it like a first person mode to aim spells. I don't think that could be done as an item slot. Don't know if this was intentional or an accidental bonus, but I think it is useful.
That is pretty useful, I wonder if they still have the variable zoom like the ones in dark souls do?

poodpick

Did anyone have problems unlocking achievements? The first time I got cale's helm nothing happened but I didn't care because I had to get to ng++ to get the last miracles and pyromancies. Just bought the spells from Wellager and only the miracle achievement unlocked :\

NEO0MJ

Did anyone have problems unlocking achievements? The first time I got cale's helm nothing happened but I didn't care because I had to get to ng++ to get the last miracles and pyromancies. Just bought the spells from Wellager and only the miracle achievement unlocked :\

Are you playing on steam? I noticed that a few games don't register your achievements if you're playing offline.

poodpick

Are you playing on steam? I noticed that a few games don't register your achievements if you're playing offline.

I was offline for the cale achievement, but online for the miracles and pyromancy ones. The weird thing is that I bought the pyromancy and miracles from the same vendor, but only the miracle achievement unlocked.

NVM! I forgot to trade to old witches souls with Straid. Got the dark soul achievement :)

Mistel

Banned
They do not. I don't think bows have it either now.
Oh well it was handy to have but it would probably make things very easy as a mage.
I was offline for the cale achievement, but online for the miracles and pyromancy ones. The weird thing is that I bought the pyromancy and miracles from the same vendor, but only the miracle achievement unlocked.
Then you're probably missing a pyromancy.

Guevara

Fume Sword:

Looks cool? Same moveset as the Sunlight Sword and already pre-loaded with Dark. I'm thinking of upgrading it and infusing it to Dark as a light backup weapon. Durability sucks though.

Kraftwerk

:eek:

Dark Souls 2 - Darth Maul Tattoo Mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/417/?

s8vkV69.gif

axxWg2.gif

Did anyone have problems unlocking achievements? The first time I got cale's helm nothing happened but I didn't care because I had to get to ng++ to get the last miracles and pyromancies. Just bought the spells from Wellager and only the miracle achievement unlocked :

Happened to me too, but with different ones. If you are certain you have all the spells, try discarding one and repurchasing from a vendor. Maybe that will trigger.

Question. Does FROM allow aesthetic mods like that Darth Maul one? Mods that in no way change anything except simply how it looks. I would love if they allowed it.

Hey, here to ask about the second DLC. Its released, isn't it? Honestly i didn't like the theme of the first DLC, too brownish it was. What about the second? What's the theme? Is it good? Is it at the levels of the Artorias?

Steam Workshop support of Dark Souls would be amazing.

Does anyone know where I can farm Twinkling Titanite?

You can farm 2 from a ledge near the Giant Lord bonfire area. Also the sorceresses and melee dudes with slumbering dragoncrest shield in Shrine of Amana have a chance to drop them.

Mistel

Banned
Steam Workshop support of Dark Souls would be amazing.

Does anyone know where I can farm Twinkling Titanite?
You can get 3 along with 3 petrifed dragon bones that you can keep collecting in the dragon sanctum via ascetic the tower of prayer bonfire. You can do the same at dragon shrine too except no dragon bones. Other than that just the Aerie and Amana really.
Hey, here to ask about the second DLC. Its released, isn't it? Honestly i didn't like the theme of the first DLC, too brownish it was. What about the second? What's the theme? Is it good? Is it at the levels of the Artorias?
This one is a lot more vibrant on the whole scenery front I think. It's themed around the old iron king it's alright I think.

VinFTW

2nd DLC is fantastic. Some amazing bosses. Easily top 3 best areas in DS2. Challenging as fuck too.

Only regret is switching my main to my sunbro instead of my havel/KUGS toon :/

Miss melee.

I used to rely so heavily on shields when I played DS1. Now I don't even know how to shield in DS2. It feels so weird and disjointed and wonky and it bothers me. I can't not dodge roll everything.

Also I need non-shield character ideas for my 500th run through the game. I was thinking cosplaying Hector with the Gyrm's Greataxe but I DUNNO maybe you guys have radder ideas.

Mistel

Banned
Also I need non-shield character ideas for my 500th run through the game. I was thinking cosplaying Hector with the Gyrm's Greataxe but I DUNNO maybe you guys have radder ideas.
It might be fun to cosplay Guthry she's an invader who uses dual avylen's with the royal soldier set. Or you could kill benhart and wonder around as him the bluemoon greatsword is a pretty good raw weapon.

I really hate how using a method to get back to the bonfire doesn't replenish ANYTHING yet mobs respawn. I guess it's useful when you wanna
break a Santiers Spear,
but aside from that I see no usefulness.

Question. Does FROM allow aesthetic mods like that Darth Maul one? Mods that in no way change anything except simply how it looks. I would love if they allowed it.

Its PC, is something common to do that without the publisher permission.

I really hate how using a method to get back to the bonfire doesn't replenish ANYTHING yet mobs respawn. I guess it's useful when you wanna
break a Santiers Spear,
but aside from that I see no usefulness.

You want to be a lazy mechanic to be lazier ? It shoulnd replenish items and spells from corpses and wood chests.

You mean the boneward and the aged feather? I think not even the miracle teleport do that just put you on the bonfire.

Yeah, I know. I'm saying how I dislike how you don't gain back used items when you use anything that takes you back to the bonfire. You have to go back to the bonfire, then rest, then you get your stuff back. DS1 had it where when you teleport back your stuff are replenished.

Its PC, is something common to do that without the publisher permission.

From and Namco are missing a huge opportunity here. The game could have so much more PC activity if they supported Steamworks and aesthetic mods for the game. So many games are doing well with skin mods that add a huge new community aspect to keep people around.

Also, where the hell are Cards. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are the biggest games I know that don't have Steam Cards. It may not be a ton of money in the grand scheme of things but it is something.

From and Namco are missing a huge opportunity here. The game could have so much more PC activity if they supported Steamworks and aesthetic mods for the game. So many games are doing well with skin mods that add a huge new community aspect to keep people around.

Also, where the hell are Cards. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are the biggest games I know that don't have Steam Cards. It may not be a ton of money in the grand scheme of things but it is something.

I don't think the company gets money from the cards. I think only Steam gets a cut with each card bough/sold. Which is weird since the company has to make the cards. I could be wrong, they might get a cut, but if they don't they would not benefit from making the cards. I would lvoe cards for both tbh, I'd buy the cards till lvl 5, and HOPEFULLY an Artorias background would be made.

Top Bottom