• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I find the Smelter Wedges thing to be a step backwards. They actually punish you for exploring...seriously? For Dragonrider
you got punished for rushing through, if you kill all the enemies you pull both levers, tada you can no longer fall off during the fight
. However,
now if you explore and get all the statues above you're left with two wedges and three statues before Fume Knight. Making the boss fight somewhat harder if you don't keep him kited away from the healingness of it. Luckily for me I didn't find the second set of Smelter Wedges before getting down there. So when I did go back and explore more in depth I found four more and was able to take those three down and one more above. I still have one to destroy, and I know where it is, just need to get a rod. But it still strikes me weird that From actually punishes you in a boss fight for exploring the whole area.

v1perz53

Hah it is funny to see how people do things differently. That first statue I saw where it gave me the option to use a Smelter Wedge, I said "f that, probably gonna need these later" and proceeded through the rest of the DLC without ever using one and just dealing with the consequences. Which was very annoying for the warmth casting areas and especially the area right outside Fume where I killed the big guys that popped up by dragging them back to the elevator room and taking forever to kill their ash covered forms. When I fought Fume the first time, I realized I should use them to break the statue things right outside his room. But I finished the DLC exploring everywhere having never used any wedges besides the ones directly required and for Fume. Still kind of an odd idea in general. Not saying this was a good idea, but just shows different mindsets, and how in an RPG if I can use and item but don't absolutely need to, I will almost always hold on to it just in case.

zkylon

zkylewd
The in that case you've got one wedge and one idol left. I've got the list of them if you'd like it?

i know there's
6 in the beginning, 4 in the chest oro linked and one after the alonne dude
. oro says there's one more which would be great, imma look for that one but i think i may be fucked

but by all means tell me, i'm basically done exploring so i don't mind spoilers too much.

Hah it is funny to see how people do things differently. That first statue I saw where it gave me the option to use a Smelter Wedge, I said "f that, probably gonna need these later" and proceeded through the rest of the DLC without ever using one and just dealing with the consequences. Which was very annoying for the warmth casting areas and especially the area right outside Fume where I killed the big guys that popped up by dragging them back to the elevator room and taking forever to kill their ash covered forms. When I fought Fume the first time, I realized I should use them to break the statue things right outside his room. But I finished the DLC exploring everywhere having never used any wedges besides the ones directly required and for Fume. Still kind of an odd idea in general. Not saying this was a good idea, but just shows different mindsets, and how in an RPG if I can use and item but don't absolutely need to, I will almost always hold on to it just in case.
i agree but the thing is they ask you to keep 4 of the things, which is a lot.

like one i can understand, you know they're limited and you can expect you may not have enough wedges for all the statues you need, etc. that's part of rpgs and it's fine.

it's just very uncool because it's at the last part and i had 3 in my inventory which i figured would be more than enough and the consequences for not keeping 4 are pretty bad.

i think the whole wedge thing was fun up until this point

Mistel

Banned
i know there's
. oro says there's one more which would be great, imma look for that one but i think i may be fucked

but by all means tell me, i'm basically done exploring so i don't mind spoilers too much.
That's all 11 of the wedges accounted for. There's no spare its 11 for the 11 ashen idols.

Sullichin

I find the Smelter Wedges thing to be a step backwards. They actually punish you for exploring...seriously? For Dragonrider
you got punished for rushing through, if you kill all the enemies you pull both levers, tada you can no longer fall off during the fight
. However,
now if you explore and get all the statues above you're left with two wedges and three statues before Fume Knight. Making the boss fight somewhat harder if you don't keep him kited away from the healingness of it. Luckily for me I didn't find the second set of Smelter Wedges before getting down there. So when I did go back and explore more in depth I found four more and was able to take those three down and one more above. I still have one to destroy, and I know where it is, just need to get a rod. But it still strikes me weird that From actually punishes you in a boss fight for exploring the whole area.

I thought of them differently. Since I knew I needed a consumable to kill the idols, I was afraid to use them in case I "needed" one but also assumed that it wouldn't be an actual gate to progress. At Fume I still only used two after realizing what they did even though I probably had enough to destroy them all. I didn't really like the wedges for that reason. I thought the switches in Sunken King were a better "gimmick" and I expect DLC #3 to have its own as well.

EDIT: yeah pretty much exactly what v1perz53 said.

EDIT2: But I *do* like any way to passively make boss fights harder in these games. Keeping the archers alive during Tower Knight, channeller alive during gaping dragon, firebomb giant alive during iron golem, mythra without draining the poison, etc.

i know there's

like one i can understand, you know they're limited and you can expect you may not have enough wedges for all the statues you need, etc. that's part of rpgs and it's fine.

it's just very uncool because it's at the last part and i had 3 in my inventory which i figured would be more than enough and the consequences for not keeping 4 are pretty bad.

Wait there's four down there? I swear I only saw three, and they're all gone. I guess I suck at counting heh.

Really? What did
for the Fire archers that kept respawning because of the Statue? plus the curse build up and darkness two of them cause is equally obnoxious.
I figured I wouldn't need em later, I didn't have that mindset because I don't think Dark Souls has ever done something like that before. I just got lucky :D.

. However,

I actually have all the four spares since I didnt do the cursed tower statue (because it is a troll designed area) and the cursed statue room next to the bonfire (another troll room), as you said the game punish you for exploring this time.

The "last" wedger design is just bad as you spend all your wegders in random statues while the last one is sealed after the last boss so you have to spend the remaining 10 wisely but since you dont have any idea of this you could end with less wedgers to deal with the important boss punish mechanics.

v1perz53

Really? What did
for the Fire archers that kept respawning because of the Statue? plus the curse build up and darkness two of them cause is equally obnoxious.
I figured I wouldn't need em later, I didn't have that mindset because I don't think Dark Souls has ever done something like that before. I just got lucky :D.

I just yoloed through the areas with the armor guys that respawned, and the stupid curse tower as well. Took me a ton of tries to kill the phantom before he ran down so that I would have a chance. Just wore the ring of binding and dealt with it. Totally not a good way to do that part, just my OCD that I would use an item incorrectly.

I just yoloed through the areas with the armor guys that respawned, and the stupid curse tower as well. Took me a ton of tries to kill the phantom before he ran down so that I would have a chance. Just wore the ring of binding and dealt with it. Totally not a good way to do that part, just my OCD that I would use an item incorrectly.

Yeah that guy pissed me off, I got him to a quarter health once, ran out of stamina and he dipped. I was like screw this noise, ran to the place where there's a chance for a seed of the giant, got it, ran back, took him down half, and of course he ran. So I used the seed next thing you know "invader banished" GG no RE.

I'm trying to get the Imperious Set by killing the dual shield enemies from Undead Crypt. I'm wearing the Jester's Hat, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1. Is there anything else I can do to get the set to drop? Or any other enemies?

Mistel

Banned
I'm trying to get the Imperious Set by killing the dual shield enemies from Undead Crypt. I'm wearing the Jester's Hat, and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1. Is there anything else I can do to get the set to drop? Or any other enemies?
Only they drop it you could use the prisoners tatters along with the watchdragon parma to boost item discover. Rusted coins might help you too.

VinFTW

So i take it back.

This DLC is ridiculous. This is the first area of the game that I can't beat.

Who's idiotic design idea was it to make this area not solo-able? I'm 14million SM... I can't find anybody to help

Fuck man I hate soul memory.

So i take it back.

Who's idiotic design idea was it to make this area not solo-able? I'm 14million SM... I can't find anybody to help

Which DLC, and what area? Depending on the boss I might be able to help. I have a guy with 12mill which is in range.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I made so much progress in the last week.

I got 3 Primal Bonefire lit. Got my Greatsword to +10, got the Smelter Demon Armor Set.

Maybe I'll buy that DLC at the end of the week.

ObbyDent

Banned
So i take it back.

Its perfectably solo-able. This is Dark Souls man. It sounds like you are too used to be amazing at the game.

Mistel

Banned
So i take it back.

It is perfectly solo able without summons what are you struggling with?

Foggy

I hate to be that kind of guy, but you have a
Warmth idol in only one corner of the Fume Knight boss room
, right? Honestly that's not an insurmountable issue. I only had two wedges left and luckily I used them for the two on the left side of the arena and that's before I even knew where to find more wedges. Maybe I've just had really, really different experiences with the boss but it wasn't hard at all to keep him in the part of the arena that doesn't have warmth. Warmth only became an issue for me when a summon forgot it was there and would lead the boss there. I would say just keep at it and don't be discouraged.

So i take it back.

Need more info to help you but its a pain to do it solo as a caster.

I made so much progress in the last week.

I got 3 Primal Bonefire lit. Got my Greatsword to +10, got the Smelter Demon Armor Set.

Maybe I'll buy that DLC at the end of the week.

You can wait for all the dlc to be released you still have plenty of gametime in the vanilla game.

v1perz53

Man
Sir Alonne
was a super fun fight solo. Very quick moveset, but totally able to dodge roll everything that he throws at you once you know what he can do, and it was actually a very satisfying fight to dodge and counter with one hit over and over. None of his attacks felt cheap. The path to get to him though, who thought that was a good idea? Ugh... I don't know what the time limit on the memory is, as I killed every enemy including the salamanders and still made it to the boss, but the fact that there is a time limit is dumb. And the whole area is dumb, throwing a bunch of
Alonne Knights
at you again? And obviously too many to just run through.

And I actually didn't think the gauntlet to
Smelter 2.0
was bad at all. I went the normal way at first and with taking my time I never got more than 1-2 enemies at a time. Relied heavily on my bow though, seems like it would be shit for pure melee builds (a theme with these DLCs it seems..). Died to the boss the first time cause I was greedy, went the shortcut way the second time, a pretty odd shortcut but it worked fine, got me back to the boss quickly and with almost no fuss. Beat him the second time with no fuss because
he has the same stupid moveset as Smelter 1.0
. Didn't seem to be all that resistant to elemental stuff either, maybe it is just heavy magic? My Sunlight Spears did fine and my lightning weapon did what felt like the same chunks of health as I did against
Smelter 1.0
. All in all I like both DLCs aside from specific lame places or enemy designs, bosses were generally pretty good, I didn't find a single boss I thought was too hard or too easy or not fair to solo
except lame trio from Sunken King, fuck those guys

zkylon

zkylewd
I hate to be that kind of guy, but you have a
Warmth idol in only one corner of the Fume Knight boss room
, right? Honestly that's not an insurmountable issue. I only had two wedges left and luckily I used them for the two on the left side of the arena and that's before I even knew where to find more wedges. Maybe I've just had really, really different experiences with the boss but it wasn't hard at all to keep him in the part of the arena that doesn't have warmth. Warmth only became an issue for me when a summon forgot it was there and would lead the boss there. I would say just keep at it and don't be discouraged.
nah like i said in an old post i find the dlcs to be a bit too hard for me cos i'm using a ng++ save and i haven't played in a while so i'm pretty rusty. it's just the combination of that and what i find to be an unfair mechanic that i find upsetting (plus not being able to find people to clear it with thanks to soul memory), like you said it's not necessarily insurmountable or anything but certainly frustrating

so yeah not necessarily trying to find excuses, i know if i sucked less i would probably beat him solo but i don't necessarily feel like doing so now specially since ng++ difficulty is pretty unfun

i was kind of worried about this when i heard about the season pass, multiple dlc releases means you get periods of inactivity in between dlcs so you get have to like learn how to ride a bike all over again

i'm really enjoying my low level run tho, already at the windmill place with only 2 regular deaths because i was silly and tried to parry bosses, 1 invasion death to a twinked dude and like tons of falling into pits but those don't count lol

v1perz53

nah like i said in an old post i find the dlcs to be a bit too hard for me cos i'm using a ng++ save and i haven't played in a while so i'm pretty rusty. it's just the combination of that and what i find to be an unfair mechanic that i find upsetting (plus not being able to find people to clear it with thanks to soul memory), like you said it's not necessarily insurmountable or anything but certainly frustrating

I feel like of all the bosses in this DLC,
Fume
is the one I would have the most trouble with on NG+ or NG++. The other two I feel like I could stay in the arena with them avoiding their attacks more or less indefinitely (at least until I make too many mistakes), but I feel like
Fume's
moveset has those off speed attacks that take me by surprise enough that I need to heal, and he also gives the least time to heal of the three bosses. Other two have long durations after attacks where I feel totally comfortable chugging two estus, but not so with him.

I feel like of all the bosses in this DLC,
Fume
is the one I would have the most trouble with on NG+ or NG++. The other two I feel like I could stay in the arena with them avoiding their attacks more or less indefinitely (at least until I make too many mistakes), but I feel like
Fume's
moveset has those off speed attacks that take me by surprise enough that I need to heal, and he also gives the least time to heal of the three bosses. Other two have long durations after attacks where I feel totally comfortable chugging two estus, but not so with him.

Did you saw how Fume's weird frames animations at the point of ignoring the turn animation and just instant face you if you are attacking him from behind? That move always kills the host I am helping.

VinFTW

I've solo-ed (and I really mean COMPLETELY solo-ed) everything from here... NG+++.... I can't beat the run-through to Smelter-reskin... let alone the boss...

This is ridiculous. How can someone with no problems solo from here out have so much trouble?!

SteamID: VinFTW22

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I find the Smelter Wedges thing to be a step backwards. They actually punish you for exploring...seriously?
Yup, it's BS. My friend managed to destroy all the idols around Fume because he missed one of the previous idols. I found them all by careful exploring, and assumed the game would give enough for the number of idols (especially once I found the extra 4), so I was stuck with 1 stupid Warmth idol for the boss. I managed to lure him away from it, but it's still obnoxious that they give the last wedge after defeating that boss, where you clearly don't need it anymore. That's just a dick move.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, where are all the smelter wedge locations? Also, what do you get if you have the full soul?

1)
6 in the beginning, 4 in a chest after you unlock the elevators with the flaming key, and 1 after you beat
the last optional boss
Sir Alonne
. One last piece of the soul is dropped by the final DLC boss,
Fume Knight
2) After getting the 12 pieces you get the full soul, you trade it to Ornifex (IIRC) for a really crappy chime.

yeah that fucking slow sweep is so fucking infuriating lol whoever came up with that one has a devilish mind

I used to think that too until I realized you could just roll through it and get in some easy jabs. It turns out it is the easiest move to counter and gives a big window. I hope he does it often now every time I fight. Too bad most hosts have yet to figure it out. That and the other circular projectile spell usually wrecks them.

TnK

1)
6 in the beginning, 4 in a chest after you unlock the elevators with the flaming key, and 1 after you beat
the last optional boss
Sir Alonne
. One last piece of the soul is dropped by the final DLC boss,
Fume Knight
2) After getting the 12 pieces you get the full soul, you trade it to Ornifex (IIRC) for a really crappy chime.

Oh, so there is no use getting it. Also, I was trying to use the wedge, but died during the insertion. Now, the prompt does not show up anymore, and my item is unused. Is my game forever glitched?

Man this is as best as I can do :(.

99CAB3766971E4757099895403A04777EC7EF742

Mind you, even though I have all that armour on I'm still sitting at around 40% equip load and I have Chloranthy +2 on.

ElTopo

Banned
Man this is as best as I can do :(.

99CAB3766971E4757099895403A04777EC7EF742

Mind you, even though I have all that armour on I'm still sitting at around 40% equip load and I have Chloranthy +2 on.

This is the strategy I used (that I mentioned 10 million times in this thread I think) Equip a greatshield with 100% Physical Defense, hold block and block the shortsword, when you see him wind up with the big sword you roll under. I've beaten him twice, once at 64% equip load and again at 49% equip load.

Also, use a weapon that attacks quickly. I don't think any kind of greatsword weapon works here.

This is the strategy I used (that I mentioned 10 million times in this thread I think) Equip a greatshield with 100% Physical Defense, hold block and block the shortsword, when you see him wind up with the big sword you roll under. I've beaten him twice, once at 64% equip load and again at 49% equip load.

Also, use a weapon that attacks quickly. I don't think any kind of greatsword weapon works here.

I get by the shortsword phase easily, I roll back and that helps. It when he does his orbs of fire that take half my health that shit goes downhill. Also Red Iron Twin Blade attacks pretty quickly.

v1perz53

I've solo-ed (and I really mean COMPLETELY solo-ed) everything from here... NG+++.... I can't beat the run-through to Smelter-reskin... let alone the boss...

This is ridiculous. How can someone with no problems solo from here out have so much trouble?!

SteamID: VinFTW22

Have you used the
weird shortcut by pulling the levers and sprinting towards the cannons
to get to the boss? If you use it, you only fight like 2-3 enemies the entire way to the boss. For smelter 2.0, unless he just never used anything else against me, he has the exact same moveset as the first smelter but with a larger weapon in his third phase. I found the same strategies against smelter 1 to work against smelter 2, with rolling being able to completely avoid all his attacks.

Played through all DLC at around ~50% equip load with light armor on my 10 vit Flynn's ring character, nothing in these DLC made me want to ever use heavier armor. Actually, the random trash enemies did, but the bosses never did.

Have you used the
weird shortcut by pulling the levers and sprinting towards the cannons
to get to the boss? If you use it, you only fight like 2-3 enemies the entire way to the boss. For smelter 2.0, unless he just never used anything else against me, he has the exact same moveset as the first smelter but with a larger weapon in his third phase. I found the same strategies against smelter 1 to work against smelter 2, with rolling being able to completely avoid all his attacks.

Played through all DLC at around ~50% equip load with light armor on my 10 vit Flynn's ring character, nothing in these DLC made me want to ever use heavier armor. Actually, the random trash enemies did, but the bosses never did.

I had a "HOW IN THE HELL?!" moment there because for a second I forgot vit was now equip load, not health. Then I continued rearing and realized my stupidity heh. I'm not sure if heavy armour helps or not, nonetheless my character is lvl 255 and can has a max load of 151.5 :D My agility is 108. The thing is I'll dodge the initial explosion but then the small orbs of death spew out and I go o shit heh.

ElTopo

Banned
I get by the shortsword phase easily, I roll back and that helps. It when he does his orbs of fire that take half my health that shit goes downhill. Also Red Iron Twin Blade attacks pretty quickly.

Red Iron is my main weapon too. When he does the AOE I back off and try to roll through the orbs, they can be a bitch though.

When he enters Phase 2 there's 2 attacks where he will not do a followup and give you a chance to heal.

The very slow right-to-left sword swing.

And I think the lunge when you're at a significant distance from him.

When he does that overhead swing he can do a 3 or 6 hit combo and the 6 hitter is perfectly delayed to fuck you up.

Not really comparable. It's a stronger version of chaos storm (or whatever that spell in called in DS2) with actual tracking.

Then there's no reason to use it. All the pillar-attack Pyromancies got nerfed hard in terms of number of hits. It's just not worth carrying IMHO. I run Forbidden Sun and Toxic along with Flame Weapon and it's served me well. Toxic is a good all around pyromancy (and even effects the knights at Dragon Aerie) and Forbidden Sun is perfect for PVP or fighting annoying phantoms.

v1perz53

I had a "HOW IN THE HELL?!" moment there because for a second I forgot vit was now equip load, not health. Then I continued rearing and realized my stupidity heh. I'm not sure if heavy armour helps or not, nonetheless my character is lvl 255 and can has a max load of 151.5 :D My agility is 108. The thing is I'll dodge the initial explosion but then the small orbs of death spew out and I go o shit heh.

Haha yea it messes me up all the time too cause of the change from DkS 1 to 2. But yea, can't really help with that specific issue as he never used this attack in my successful attempt. I ended up kind of just bum rushing him down, he died fairly quickly but it was only NG on this toon.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat DarkLurker again, took me about 25 attempts all together. Again, all because you have to kill all the phantoms in any given zone, Why not, after clearing out all the zones and lighting the fire, you're just taken right to the DarkLurker? You already have to spend an Effigy, why force the player to go through a fairly hard area over and over and over just to have another shot at the boss? And you can't just run right to the exit to fight him, no, you have to kill every single Phantom. Stupid. Fucking stupid.

Now that I got that off my chest.

Fought the Darklurker many times, not too hard until they split. And after so many attempts at trying to kill him/her with pure melee I decided to take out my Pyromancies. Keep in mind that I beat him/her with pure melee the first time but I guess that could be chalked up to luck.

Loaded up: 6 Flame Swaithes and 6 Great Fireballs.

Whaled on him/her then once they split and then used my pyromancies. Not so bad.

It sucks that you kinda' have to use ranged attacks here. I mean, it's possible to defeat the boss without using them but it's really, really hard to pay attention to both of them at the same time and dodge the massive AOE attacks both can do. I don't know where I'd place this boss in the grand scheme of things.

And for the hell of it, my top 5 bosses. Ranked in no particular order but chosen for difficulty, design and also lore.

The Duke's Dear Freja
Flexile Sentry
Alone Knight
Ruin Sentinels
Sinh the Slumbering Dragon

Top 3 worst bosses:

Royal Rat Vanguard
Royal Rat Authority
Blue Smelter

Kevtones

Once again I like the DLC. Through the 2nd bonfire and working towards the third. The linearity of the design with approaches is rad. Visuals are ace.

Woot. Woot. Woot.

This part with the cursing doe...

I ran into a cheater "hosting" a fight club in the Iron Keep just now. He would randomly kill people with an infinite superfast flurry of power-stanced ultra greatsword swings and then place warmth every now and then. Suddenly he came for me and I managed to parry his crazy swings and took him out with the Mail Breaker. No infinite health for this guy, weirdly enough.

TnK

Oh, so there is no use getting it. Also, I was trying to use the wedge, but died during the insertion. Now, the prompt does not show up anymore, and my item is unused. Is my game forever glitched?
So, again I ask, is my game forever glitched or what?

Top Bottom