• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Intelligence, Attunement, Endurance and Vigor, in that order. If you want to use a specific weapon, get the respective stats to the bare minimum.

Try to have enough Int to use your most powerful spell, which will probably be Soul Spear with 40 Int for a long time. It's a bosskiller though, so if you think you can handle everything with Great Heavy Soul Arrow (16 Int), you can neglect your Int a bit. Attunement is a triple whammy, since you get more casts, better cast speed and better rolls from it, so you will definitely want that to be high, aim for 40 or 50 initially.

Casting spells use Stamina, so yeah, Endurance is important. And Vigor is pretty self-explanatory.

Thanks for this :D

Dyno

Lots of people summoning in the Iron Passage but nearly nobody can beat Smelter Blue. I've had to stack nothing but pyromancies and a flame sword because that's the only thing my sorceror has that can affect him! I'm casting Warmth to keep people alive and have used all my Tokens of Fidelity but still they can't handle that boss.

Anybody got some effective strategy for the Blue Smelter Demon?

Ruuppa

Lots of people summoning in the Iron Passage but nearly nobody can beat Smelter Blue. I've had to stack nothing but pyromancies and a flame sword because that's the only thing my sorceror has that can affect him! I'm casting Warmth to keep people alive and have used all my Tokens of Fidelity but still they can't handle that boss.

You can mitigate the damage done to the Host by using Magic Barrier on them and wearing the Redeye Ring during the fight. If the Host keeps getting killed even after that, you can't help them.

zewone

Use the Spell Quartz Ring +3 and Dispelling Ring +1 to make this boss a joke.

Use a weapon that does little to no magic damage. If you have a Faith build, use Great Magic Barrier to laugh off all of the damage he does once he's doing pure magic damage halfway through the fight.

EDIT: I misread that you are doing this as a phantom. Use the Redeye Ring and the rings I mentioned above and you should be fine unless they are just terrible.

Haunted

dat gate

If there's one thing that has been stiff and off and never really worked well in Souls, it's the knockback animation, in particular in conjunction with the collision detection with walls and the environment. As precise as man-to-man hitboxes are, when it comes to environmental objects, invisible walls, or in this case gate debris, it never works as well as it could.

Just started a Sorcerer. I always roll a melee class so this is all new to me. What 4 stats should I be leveling?

Int (to infinity)
Attunement (to 50)
Adaptability (to 15)
Health
Faith (to troll or switch to hexes)

Poision mist and toxic mist can stack and bring some herbs

SoldnerKei

I have actually never once done Chariot the "intended" way. I always just fling a spell or a few arrows at him as he comes around the bend then hide in the doorway. Kind of fun to see that there is a different end to the fight depending on how you do it.

yeah Chariot reminds me pretty much Goht from Majora's Mask, since you can defeat him in almost the same fashion, the "intended" way or get him good with bow, magic arrows or even bombs

so kind of excited for the new DLC, since it looks like we will get the kung fu moves and I wonder what kind of final boss we will get, since they seem to appear on the small titles of the doors that we open to enter each DLC area, it dosen't show on this picture but from top to bottom, there is a dragon(guess that is
Sinh
) a humanoid form(probably
Fume Knight
) and the last thing seems really big, or even like a monster couple, I guess people has come up with some kind of theory for this, as for what the crowns do, we will finally know

yeah Chariot reminds me pretty much Goht from Majora's Mask, since you can defeat him in almost the same fashion, the "intended" way or get him good with bow, magic arrows or even bombs

so kind of excited for the new DLC, since it looks like we will get the kung fu moves and I wonder what kind of final boss we will get, since they seem to appear on the small titles of the doors that we open to enter each DLC area, it dosen't show on this picture but from top to bottom, there is a dragon(guess that is
Sinh
Fume Knight
) and the last thing seems really big, or even like a monster couple, I guess people has come up with some kind of theory for this, as for what the crowns do, we will finally know

Go to the winter shrine and look at the murals.

v1perz53

Sinh
Fume Knight

I'm excited as well. All I ask for with the last DLC is to have one of the bosses early/midway through. Tired of all the bosses being so back loaded.

SoldnerKei

Go to the winter shrine and look at the murals.

*heavy breathing*

I recall that I saw the weird altar and was like: "dude, I don't remember you here" and passed by... I wasn't aware that it was related to the dlc back then, make sense to have info like the previous altars, make sense, damn

*heavy breathing*

I recall that I saw the weird altar and was like: "dude, I don't remember you here" and passed by... I wasn't aware that it was related to the dlc back then, make sense to have info like the previous altars, make sense, damn

Yep,also the Dragon shrine mural was reussed for the sunken king mural and the irong king have some tseldora elements

Durante

I don't really know what's going on here over the past week, but it's interesting:
pvpg3jye.png

ElFly

That's a weird drop right there. Did something happen on 02.09?

Launch of Old Iron King Crown?

Maybe everyone was rushing through the new area. I remember tons of trouble summoning people during iron king, that could be my own internet, but I summoned just fine during sunken king. Maybe some of those DDOS attacks hit the servers?

Ruuppa

Launch of Old Iron King Crown?

Maybe everyone was rushing through the new area.

Nah, the DLC was released on the 26th of August, at the start of that rise that stops with the simultaneous drop.

Edit: Probably some error in the chart or something.

Durante

Nah, the DLC was released on the 26th of August, at the start of that rise that stops with the simultaneous drop.

Edit: Probably some error in the chart or something.
The chart is generated directly from farfire data. There is an inexplicable jump in the data on that day. What's interesting is that it's about the same size on PS3 and PC, but much smaller on Xbox360.

Ruuppa

It's not a player-trend, that's for sure. Maybe farfire changed how they count the PVP events? That would explain some of it, but not why 360's fall is only half of PS3/PC.

Server mishap on farfire's side, and the rollback was messy?

Sounds like weird lag.

It works now, but when I tried the link right after he posted it, it was broken. I dunno.

Dyno

Poision mist and toxic mist can stack and bring some herbs

Can Smelter be poisoned?!?!? I have done this cheese to a boss once before. I no longer have any pride to speak of. I'll give it a try!

Thanks to the others for ring and spell assistance. I'll look into those too.

v1perz53

Can Smelter be poisoned?!?!? I have done this cheese to a boss once before. I no longer have any pride to speak of. I'll give it a try!

Yea, both original and Smelter 2.0 can be poisoned. Though as always with poison the more HP a boss has the less impact you will see poison having (since poison always does 5 damage per 'tick" and ticks very fast, but will do a bigger percentage damage on low HP enemies). Still very effective.

If you want to see an example of an enemy that can be poisoned but you can almost not even tell because of the monstrous HP bar, try to poison the ancient dragon. Full duration of poison does like 5% of his total HP heh. I still killed him completely with a bow and poison arrows though! Felt easier than the melee gamble...

That's how i beat him. I let the npc's tank him and ran around shooting him with poison arrows.

Sullichin

Poison isn't cheesing unless you're doing some poison-Allant-by-the-fog-door stuff. You still gotta stay alive.
Spell Quartz +3 / Dispelling Ring / GMB really do make this fight a lot easier.

ultron87

So is the "shortcut" to blue Smelter really
running through two incredibly dangerous fireball hallways?
Am I missing something? That barely seem faster.

ElFly

It is.

I summoned the two NPCs, managed to run through both hallways, and then joined with the NPCs in the final room, where we killed the few enemies.

Then they tanked Smelter while I plinked at him with magic.

v1perz53

Yea if letting the NPCs tank the boss and using poison arrows is cheating, then so is letting the NPCs tank and using soul arrows from across the room. So you are basically saying the dishonor is in using NPCs, not poison!

It is WAY faster, and you only have to fight like two enemies if you go that way as opposed to like 10+ the normal way (you can go straight to the fog door from the last jump down without killing the big iron flame guy). The hallways look more dangerous than they are. Running down the sides, I was never hit by the fireballs at all except once, and it didn't do that much damage or knockback.

Sullichin

Pretty sure the idea is to summon someone and they use a shield to block the fireballs. But no one ever actually does this lol

v1perz53

Pretty sure the idea is to summon someone and they use a shield to block the fireballs. But no one ever actually does this lol

Someone should try to use the new better spellparry shields to deflect each fireball as they come at them. Record it and make a webm, would be epic.

Goddamn I hate my pridefulness. I can't defeat Fume on NG+ and I don't want to summon help because I feel like it would trivialize the accomplishment. Yet I have no problem helping others fight him heh. The most I ever got him to was 25% health then he killed me with his AoE attack ;_;.
Someone should try to use the new better spellparry shields to deflect each fireball as they come at them. Record it and make a webm, would be epic.

I wonder if Yorgh's Ring would do it as well. I'ma test this now.

Yep. Fume Knight is awesome. I believe he strikes the balance quite well between innocuous, easily dealt with attacks and attacks that can undo you in a split second. I wish Sir Alonne had a few uber-attacks to complement his speed; Fumester has him well and truly covered.

I reckon it took me 10-15 tries the first time, but every time since then (NG+5 thus far) he's been fairly straightforward. Everything he does is incredibly dodge-able, but boy, does he make you panic.

Yeah, all good points. I love the contrast between the slow, hard hitting attacks in his left hand, and the quick lighter attacks in his right. The attacks are quick enough to be hard to dodge, but give enough notice to be predictable (so it feels fair). And the moveset change halfway through seems better done that most of the bosses with a similar feature in the main game.

And it's a difficult DS2 boss that DOESN'T rely on additional enemies to increase the difficulty. Thank god.

Yeah, all good points. I love the contrast between the slow, hard hitting attacks in his left hand, and the quick lighter attacks in his right. The attacks are quick enough to be hard to dodge, but give enough notice to be predictable (so it feels fair). And the moveset change halfway through seems better done that most of the bosses with a similar feature in the main game.

And it's a difficult DS2 boss that DOESN'T rely on additional enemies to increase the difficulty. Thank god.

That's exactly why I love him as a boss. Every time I get hit or die due to him I feel entirely responsible, except for a couple times where he hit me when he did his forward poke while I was to his side, and one time where he stabbed me as I was rolling. However, those are two instances in over the 8 times I fought him, so it doesn't bother me too much, if at all. I hope they never nerf his damage or anything about him. Even though I have yet to beat him, he is an amazingly well done boss, he's the first boss that reminds me of the difficulty of Artorias on NG+.

That's exactly why I love him as a boss. Every time I get hit or die due to him I feel entirely responsible, except for a couple times where he hit me when he did his forward poke while I was to his side, and one time where he stabbed me as I was rolling. However, those are two instances in over the 8 times I fought him, so it doesn't bother me too much, if at all. I hope they never nerf his damage or anything about him. Even though I have yet to beat him, he is an amazingly well done boss, he's the first boss that reminds me of the difficulty of Artorias on NG+.

Yeah, despite his moveset being completely different, he's the only boss in DS2 that has really reminded me of Artorias.

I think I just got summoned to a Elana on NG+++++++ or something. Usually when she does her AoE attack I lose like 10% of my health. This time I lost around 50% if not 60%. Holy crap.

Goddamn I hate my pridefulness. I can't defeat Fume on NG+ and I don't want to summon help because I feel like it would trivialize the accomplishment. Yet I have no problem helping others fight him heh. The most I ever got him to was 25% health then he killed me with his AoE attack ;_;.

I wonder if Yorgh's Ring would do it as well. I'ma test this now.

I just used a bonfire ascetic to try Fume again as ng+3. I guess I was complacent doing so many coop fights because he was a lot harder solo not having people to take pressure off from time to time. In some way though, as a host the fight is harder with coop, most summons are scrubs that get wrecked and leave you with a boss with higher hp and defense. Took me about a dozen tries , but finally got him. I still think there are some BS hits that I roll through, but overall it is a tough but fair fight.

NEO0MJ

I kinda regret moving to NG+. Was there any major difference for the DLC bosses between NG and NG+? I don't want one of them to become a new Lost Sinner.

Yea if letting the NPCs tank the boss and using poison arrows is cheating, then so is letting the NPCs tank and using soul arrows from across the room. So you are basically saying the dishonor is in using NPCs, not poison!

I despise magic and refuse summoning NPCs.

Absolutely. I was fed up of running that gauntlet and I wanted to end him already.

I agree that the gauntlet for Smelter was a little too difficult. Still, this is what fans wanted, difficult to reach bosses with no close bonfires.

I kinda regret moving to NG+. Was there any major difference for the DLC bosses between NG and NG+? I don't want one of them to become a new Lost Sinner.

I agree that the gauntlet for Smelter was a little too difficult. Still, this is what fans wanted, difficult to reach bosses with no close bonfires.

I agree with the NPC part. I liked using magic, only thing that was really OP about sorcery was Soul Vortex and Geyser and they seemed to have nerfed them quiet heavily. I don't particularly like to summon NPCs until I beat that boss at least once. Then I feel fine summoning them after because I already proved to myself I can solo the boss. The ones in the second DLC are really hard, they do a significant amount of damage even when fully armoured and have lots of HP they can two-shot you. One of them is also relentless he attacks for days and gives really small windows to catch your breath and heal. Also they have lots of health and defense.

I just used a bonfire ascetic to try Fume again as ng+3. I guess I was complacent doing so many coop fights because he was a lot harder solo not having people to take pressure off from time to time. In some way though, as a host the fight is harder with coop, most summons are scrubs that get wrecked and leave you with a boss with higher hp and defense. Took me about a dozen tries , but finally got him. I still think there are some BS hits that I roll through, but overall it is a tough but fair fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fno4Gl56RZ4
That's my fight against him. It gets glitchy at times since my processor is pretty craptacular, and as you can see, I suck at rolling heh. Pretty sure I rolled at the proper time during one, buut that just may be me, you'll know which one when you see it.

I'm more into the PvP and exploring the world honestly. I mostly get frustrated with boss battles and cheese them whenever I can.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yup, but it's not necessarily that easy. Poison doesn't take off a whole lot, you need to poison him several times. I used several casts of Toxic and Poison Mists to bring him down (and still got a few melee hits in), and you gotta time them properly, because if he doesn't stay inside the mist long enough he won't get poisoned (sometimes you can get it if you recast on him a second time quickly enough but it's tricky). The best part is to cast right after he does his jumping attack, and while and charging his AOE, if you cast quickly after dodging the jumping attack the mist will proc, guaranteed. And when he's buffing, of course.

If you're using poison arrows it's different obviously, not sure how many are needed to poison.

It is faster, but it's not necessarily more practical. You need to perfectly dodge those fireballs otherwise you won't make it in time to cross the gate, and probably get slaughtered by the enemies from the cells. And you need to do that perfect run twice. Personally I find that too annoying and don't bother with it.

I thought my internet was being weird last night... This morning I saw myself on an archived twitch stream delivering a ridiculous teleporting lag stab to a streamer :p

Top Bottom