• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Really great info, guys. Thanks so much. As far as PVP goes, is there a certain element that the community has rendered completely useless? If I infuse something with fire or magic, am I setting myself up to fail?

Basically, I've sent the better half of 3 play sessions with a normal weapon and now I think it's time I get my red or blue lightsaber game going.

Mmm I will take a wild guess I say fire damage for the pyros guys but in the end you will end melee them so is not that important.

Not really if they want to profound still you you can hard counter that with a sanctum priestess tiara. There's one build that prevents all elemental damage but that's really niche and not all that common.

Awesome. So, if I want to go flame weapon/infuse, I should give the warpick a shot? How's Black Knight Halberd? I see it scales with flame already.

If I want to go with crystal weapon/magic infuse, I should do moonlight sword?

Are there any less common weapons, like rapiers or scythes, worth my time? I've been eyeing the Bone Scythe and I think it's cool that scythes are uncommon.

Awesome. So, if I want to go flame weapon/infuse, I should give the warpick a shot? How's Black Knight Halberd? I see it scales with flame already.

Are there any less common weapons, like rapiers or scythes, worth my time? I've been eyeing the Bone Scythe and I think it's cool that scythes are uncommon.

The best use of a rapier is to stun and slowly kill unlike rapiers are for breaking defense.

Scythes are more for dextery and take the enemy off guard but very easy to be punished so it takes a little more effort and skill to dominate that weapon you can kill pretty fast but be killed fast too.

Mistel

Banned

Flame weapon is pretty weak now much less effective than other weapon buffs. Black knight halberd is alright but its not got the strike damage advantage in PvE. By all means give the warpick a shot if you get one.You could if you don't mind using it it's pure magic damage naturally so it's got no physical damage unless its made into an enchanted weapon.

The bone scythe is a pretty decent scythe for STR build but its got that whole sweet spot thing that really limits its usefulness that's why no one really cares for most reapers in general.

The best use of a rapier is to stun and slowly kill unlike rapiers are for breaking defense.

Scythes are more for dextery and take the enemy off guard but very easy to be punished so it takes a little more effort and skill to dominate that weapon you can kill pretty fast but be killed fast too.

Flame weapon is pretty weak now much less effective than other weapon buffs. Black knight halberd is alright but its not got the strike damage advantage in PvE. By all means give the warpick a shot if you get one.

You could if you don't mind using it it's pure magic damage naturally so it's got no physical damage unless its made into an enchanted weapon. The bone scythe is a pretty decent scythe for STR build but its got that whole sweet spot thing that really limits its usefulness that's why no one really cares for them.

Awesome, didn't know that about the sweet spot on scythes. Sounds tough to use. So a flame or magic infused warpick? How's the scaling when infused? And what's the correlation between a magic infused weapon and adding crystal magic weapon to it?

Last question would be, how do I maximizie my build to take advantage of a fire or magic infused weapon?

Mistel

Banned
Awesome, didn't know that about the sweet spot on scythes. Sounds tough to use. So a flame or magic infused warpick? How's the scaling when infused? And what's the correlation between a magic infused weapon and adding crystal magic weapon to it?

Last question would be, how do I maximizie my build to take advantage of a fire or magic infused weapon?
Drakekeepers warpick once infused will have 294/294 split with B/B scaling in which ever element you infuse it with. A magic infused weapon will gain extra damage from crystal magic weapon as it the weapons magical damage in the formula for the damage done. To maximise for both STR is a must for fire raising INT/FTH for bonus scaling magic requires only INT.

Drakekeepers warpick once infused will have 294/294 split with B/B scaling in which ever element you infuse it with. A magic infused weapon will gain extra damage from crystal magic weapon as it the weapons magical damage in the formula for the damage done. To maximise for both STR is a must for fire raising INT/FTH for bonus scaling magic requires only INT.

Awesome. I'm trying this out right now. Thanks for the help!

It depends on the infuse and stats to scale. magic, dark for int and faith for lightning and fire but in more cases the weapons will lose nearly half of its physical strength for the elemental new damage stat so its really takes your stats in mind.

Elemental rings can stack to the infuse too.

cystal magic weapon is the strongest magic weapon spell, the crystal part is part of the lore.

It depends on the infuse and stats to scale. magic, dark for int and faith for lightning and fire but in more cases the weapons will lose nearly half of its physical strength for the elemental new damage stat so its really takes your stats in mind.

Elemental rings can stack to the infuse too.

cystal magic weapon is the strongest magic weapon spell, the crystal part is part of the lore.

I've never used crystal before so I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm SL 237 so I can reallocate as need be. Thanks, man!

Trakan

Just finished the 2nd DLC and I dunno how I feel about it.
On the one hand bosses were very cool* but on the other I don't necessarily want more equipment, more weapons and whatnot. The game already has a shitload of clones.

This game is definitely quantity over quality. Instead of putting few things and polish them to the extreme, they kept rehashing ideas/enemies/bosses/items over and over again.
We reached the point where even when they put together some new cool ideas, they got lost under a pile of old stuff.
I want some unique ideas that aren't compromised, that's all.

I'm nevertheless looking forward to the 3rd DLC but it might be overkill at this point...

Fume Knight and especially Sir Alonne are probably my favorite bosses in the game period.

I'm not sure what you mean by your clones comment.
Blue Smelter is unforgivable, no question
, but this DLC brought so much unique content and fan service. The following items are all new to DS2.

- Majestic Greatsword with Artorias moveset
- First Straight Sword Boss Weapon with unique dark inherent element
- Unique Fire inherent Straight Sword
- Spontoon which is one of the few weapons with no physical damage and is unique as it casts spells.
- Fume UGS which has unique blocking frames during a few of its attacks.
- Rings that, while simple, make certain new weapons viable on SL1 runs.
- The Smelter Hammer, which is insane looking and fun to use.

There's probably more I can't think of off the top of my head. Unless you're mad they added more straight swords to the game in general or something weird like that, in which case I really don't understand.

5852AEA742BD43F09EF28DC4F72625470B7AA803

Somehow I survived lol. My health was so low I couldn't even see any red on my bar D:. Then I died :(

ElTopo

Banned
I just strike once with the twinblade and don't do the followup unless he does a move I know he won't quickly follow up with something random.

Ruuppa

He could try the poking attack, I think it's the 2hr1 (or r2..?), which gets a bonus from Old Leo Ring. Good damage from that.

Braag

Well there's voice chat, just I think both players have to have it enabled to hear each other. Like if you have it disabled but they have it enabled you won't hear them. On PC and Xbox you can view players you've recently interacted with, then go to their profile and send them a message., although on Steam you have to add them as a friend first

I completely forgot about voice chat...

poodpick

Went back and played demons souls for a little bit today. Why are the controls in das2 so unresponsive compared to demons which was 30fps? Did the developers ever explain this?

Tilian

Banned
An invader threw something on me which 1-shot me (I have 2300 health) and ruined all my gear in the process. Cost me 20k to fix everything.

I assume this is a hacker? If so, I thought servers were supposed to fix this shit.

image.php
?

Guess we are doomed
Eh, at least we'll have infinite knowledge about Dark Souls.
That twinblade could be a problem if you try doing more than one attack, the 2nd r1 attack combo is lengthy. Maybe try a weapon with a quicker strike to give more time for dodging.

Yeah I realized that during this fight. Now I just hit once and back away. I need to really work on my rolling, I'm too dependent on armour and health. I usually roll to early, or too late and end up suffering heavily.

ElTopo

Banned
Decided to finally get the King's Shield. Durability is a little lower then the Dragonrider (which I used because it was light and had 100% physical defense) but noticed that the King's Shield is probably the lightest Greatshield and also has 100% physical defense. With that done I think I got my equip load to the absolute lightest at 39% with Lost Sinner mask, Llewellyn armor, Raime legs, and Drangelic Gauntlets. All of which are maxed out.

Or, I could use the Lost Sinner mask, Looking Glass Gauntlets, and Alone Knight Captain Armor and leggings and remain just over 50% and the instant I remove the shield takes me to late 40% equip.

Not bad considering my equip load has been at around 68% for most of the game.

Also, I think the Alone Knight Captain Armor set is probably the strongest armor aside from Havel's.

v1perz53

Blech, I decided to try a new character since I moved my last NG character to NG+, and I wanted one still on NG to try the new DLC when it comes out. Shieldless caster sounded fun, so I went with a hex based caster with a curved sword offhand for parries to try something different. It has been really fun but...

I am finding it very frustrating to play the early game with low Adaptability and Agility. Honestly, after playing so long on 105+ agi characters, having almost half the iFrames on my roll is just frustrating and not fun. And I plan on eventually having high Attunement, since this is a caster, so I don't want to go too high into Adaptability, but I am not enjoying these rolls at all right now. I guess I will just co-op dragonrider a bunch of times to get some souls to quickly boost my Adp, basically required on a no shield character...

Also, I know that the stamina regen buff from the Blossom shield works when it is on your back, but does it work when it is equipped but not out at all? Like if in my left hand I had a scimitar and the shield equipped on the character screen, do I still get the stam regen buff when the scimitar is out or only when the shield is?

Decided to finally get the King's Shield. Durability is a little lower then the Dragonrider (which I used because it was light and had 100% physical defense) but noticed that the King's Shield is probably the lightest Greatshield and also has 100% physical defense. With that done I think I got my equip load to the absolute lightest at 39% with Lost Sinner mask, Llewellyn armor, Raime legs, and Drangelic Gauntlets. All of which are maxed out.

The wikis list King's Shield as a standard shield, not a great shield. Pretty sure it is just standard, as mine doesn't have a bash, but parries instead. Any reason you want to use a greatshield in particular? Plenty of light 100% phys def options in the standard shield area, and a few with high stability.

Edit: To me, the Defender's Shield was always straight better than King's Shield, unless you really need fire defense. Defender's has same weight, higher stability, higher magic and dark resist, equal lightning and physical resist and worse fire resist.

v1perz53

I assumed it was a Greatshield because of the 100% Physical Defense... I guess I'm wrong.

There are plenty of standard shields with 100% physical defense, just nowhere near as many as in Dark Souls 1. As I understand it, a standard shield can parry with L2, while a shield that does a bash attack with L2 is a greatshield. (there are also small shields, I think they all have better parrying frames)

Some notable (in my eyes) standard shields with 100% block, just info for anyone who may be curious:

Drangleic Shield - notable because it is the earliest 100% standard shield you can get
Royal Kite Shield - notable because it is the lightest 100% phys block shield I can think of at 4 weight, sold by McDuff
Defender's Shield - notable because it is the highest stability shield that can parry (besides old knight with low durability)
Drakekeeper's Shield - notable because it has 72% resistance to magic, lightning fire and dark when dark infused while still having 98% physical resistance and able to parry.

An invader threw something on me which 1-shot me (I have 2300 health) and ruined all my gear in the process. Cost me 20k to fix everything.

I assume this is a hacker? If so, I thought servers were supposed to fix this shit.

Definitely a hacker. You should try reporting them next time, on consoles it uses their Gamer Tag so you could e-mail From and tell them the persons gamertag and the console you play on. If you can record you could send in a video of it. They might do something, hopefully. On PC you can see recent players and go to their Steam page and report them to Steam as well, and Valve might dish out a VAC ban on them.

Omg I finally beat
Smeter 2.0
shit was hard. I hate that fight because
it is basically punishing melee character with that stupid damage/sec while you're near him.
Anyways, so I'm fighting him for like the fifth or sixth time. He is one hit away from death and he does his overhead super slow attack that gets you if you roll too early I know I pressed B but I didn't roll and I lost half my health. I get up try and attack he backsteps away and I'm like O FUCK NO PLS NO DARK SOULS Y U DO DIS!? and he goes for the stab attack, I roll under it but have no stamina, and again, question as to why Dark Souls hates me so. but finally I get a sliver of stamina, mash that RB, and he ded. Man wish I got that on recording, you know how during intense moments the time seems to be stretched indefinitely? Yeah the time it took to get my stamina back felt like minutes heh.

ElTopo

Banned
Omg I finally beat
Smeter 2.0
shit was hard. I hate that fight because
it is basically punishing melee character with that stupid damage/sec while you're near him.[/SPOILER.
Get Havel's Shield. Infuse with Magic. Level it up a bit. Now your physical defense is at 98% and 100% magic defense. Now you can block all of his shit.

Get Havel's Shield. Infuse with Magic. Level it up a bit. Now your physical defense is at 98% and 100% magic defense. Now you can block all of his shit.

Well I killed him already. But does that work with ever his overhead attack that knocks you down?

I'm not sure if this would get me in trouble in DS2, however...
In the first DLC since invaders can't interact with the puzzles the host can just sit up in Tower of Prayer with the platforms down which makes the invader unable to ever reach him heh. I hope it does't cause From to bring out a banhammer D:

ElTopo

Banned
Well I killed him already. But does that work with ever his overhead attack that knocks you down?

I'm not sure if this would get me in trouble in DS2, however...
In the first DLC since invaders can't interact with the puzzles the host can just sit up in Tower of Prayer with the platforms down which makes the invader unable to ever reach him heh. I hope it does't cause From to bring out a banhammer D:

Yes it does. The only thing it won't block is his jumping sword plunge.

Fume Knight is an amazing boss.

And challenging, too. I've died to him about 10 times so far, I think.

Yep. Fume Knight is awesome. I believe he strikes the balance quite well between innocuous, easily dealt with attacks and attacks that can undo you in a split second. I wish Sir Alonne had a few uber-attacks to complement his speed; Fumester has him well and truly covered.

I reckon it took me 10-15 tries the first time, but every time since then (NG+5 thus far) he's been fairly straightforward. Everything he does is incredibly dodge-able, but boy, does he make you panic.

I'm getting my shit handed to me by Sinh on NG++. I've beaten him twice while helping others but I can hardly find a non-NPC summon and when I do they die straight away leaving me to deal with the added difficulty.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm getting my shit handed to me by Sinh on NG++. I've beaten him twice while helping others but I can hardly find a non-NPC summon and when I do they die straight away leaving me to deal with the added difficulty.

Beat him on NG+ and NG++. Here's the pattern if you're getting desperate:

Start of the fight, he always jumps forward, you can hang out around the pillars, walk up to him from behind and get a free hit or two.

When he flies into the air and lands you want to stay away from him but not too far away. You want to stay at a certain distance when you can run in a little bit if need be. When you're away from him he does 1 of 4 things.

He flies away again.

He will do this very slow left-to-right flame attack in which you can whale on him without worrying about him doing something random.

A straight-ahead flame attack in which you can hit him once or twice but he might do something random towards the end so be ready.

He'll try to hit you with his head/neck and try to stomp you with a tracking stomp attack. You can roll through these and it's recommended to get behind him but beware, he can be random here.

You can cut off his tail but other than stunning him for a good 5-10 seconds it doesn't do anything.

zkylon

zkylewd

i find that summons just make the fight less predictable

i found most success by doing these few things (still took me tens of tries!):

while he's in the air just run towards him and try to stay relatively close and below him. this usually makes it so that his fireball thingie doesn't hit you and if he does the whole pass-through fire thing you can just walk to the side

whenever he's landed try to keep a bit of distance so that you bait his flame breath attacks. you can then run towards his head and hit him a couple times then run away. this is the only time i attack him

eat tons of lifegems to counter poison

that's it for me, he was tough but really enjoyable. one of my favorite fights in the whole game

Ruuppa

Just started a Sorcerer. I always roll a melee class so this is all new to me. What 4 stats should I be leveling?

Intelligence, Attunement, Endurance and Vigor, in that order. If you want to use a specific weapon, get the respective stats to the bare minimum.

Try to have enough Int to use your most powerful spell, which will probably be Soul Spear with 40 Int for a long time. It's a bosskiller though, so if you think you can handle everything with Great Heavy Soul Arrow (16 Int), you can neglect your Int a bit. Attunement is a triple whammy, since you get more casts, better cast speed and better rolls from it, so you will definitely want that to be high, aim for 40 or 50 initially.

Casting spells use Stamina, so yeah, Endurance is important. And Vigor is pretty self-explanatory.

Eccocid

Hmm i killed that floating knight and giant in forest of giants (i was expecting a forest but actually it was a fortress lol).

where do i go now? There is no direction. Did i miss anything? I can go to that tower area (tried and got raped by giant knights before entering to forest). Is it my next destination?
I can't remember if i had any key item in forest which will open a new area...

Ruuppa

Hmm i killed that floating knight and giant in forest of giants (i was expecting a forest but actually it was a fortress lol).

where do i go now? There is no direction. Did i miss anything? I can go to that tower area (tried and got raped by giant knights before entering to forest). Is it my next destination?
I can't remember if i had any key item in forest which will open a new area...

You can continue after the floating knight, there's a bird's nest that'll take you to another area after him. It can be somewhat tougher than the place with the giant knights, and I recommend tackling those big guys next. The main boss in the area of the knights is a joke after having beaten the Pursuer (floaty knight).

v1perz53

Huh. I just now realized after all this time that you earn less souls from bosses if you have a phantom summoned. I guess it makes sense for human phantoms, as they get a "portion" of your winnings, but it happens with NPC phantoms too. Fair tradeoff for making the fight easier I guess, though it kind of screwed me over as I summoned Glencour to kill Dragonrider faster, but I only got 9k souls so now I need to farm a bit to buy the cat ring. Would've just soloed that pathetically easy boss if I knew.

Top Bottom