• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

NEO0MJ

Dragon bones are rarer than twinkling though.

I just mean that not one stone is responsible for so many things now so it's not as common to find. I guess the best way to compare is find out how many twinkling you find mid-game in DS1 and how many Twinkling+dragon you find by mid-game in DS2.

ElTopo

Banned
Quick question: once I'm in NG+++ how many million souls do I need to get past the boss door in Shaded Woods? I think I have about 5 million boss souls in my inventory now.

You could put on ironclad or jesters, although it sucks having to wear something that may go against your build, only way now since they really ruined the Gowers Ring. Increasing its weight and making it so it reduces damage that's just too much. I only disagree with BS fishing during arenas though. When it's an invasions(with the exception of RSS) I say anything to stay alive goes(exlcuding hacking & cheating, of course). So running away, healing, Seed of Gaints, BS fishing, etc I find are all acceptable. Lag isn't usually their fault, so hard to penalize someone for that.

I am generally not too bothered by healing, but people who only fish for backstabs (never even swing their weapon), don't have a shield and have the jester chest on are really hard to punish. And really my main concern with those builds is whether the other person is having any fun or not, because it seems like a really boring way to play the game and it's not fun for the opponent either.

ElTopo

Banned
It's about 5 million of the top of my head.

Cool. I think I'm going to make a try for the Ring of Exalted. I think the fastest way to get a Fragrant Branch of Yore is to go down the pit through the royal rat authority and go through the gulch, use the Sacred Feather to warp back to the Marjula bonfire and then go straight to shaded woods.

Mistel

Banned
Cool. I think I'm going to make a try for the Ring of Exalted. I think the fastest way to get a Fragrant Branch of Yore is to go down the pit through the royal rat authority and go through the gulch, use the Sacred Feather to warp back to the Marjula bonfire and then go straight to shaded woods.
That's right that's the fastest way.

Bruno MB

Is anybody else having online issues with the PS3 Pal version of Dark Souls II? I can't see summon signs nor invade or being invaded. Only after countless tries I managed to invade someones world. I've been experiencing these issues since yesterday and as far as I know I haven't been banned.

Mistel

Banned
Is anybody else having online issues with the PS3 Pal version of Dark Souls II? I can't see summon signs nor invade or being invaded. Only after countless tries I managed to invade someones world. I've been experiencing these issues since yesterday and as far as I know I haven't been banned.
If it started just yesterday it's most likely due to your soul memory being out of range.

Bruno MB

If it started just yesterday it's most likely due to your soul memory being out of range.

My soul memory range is the same as before (tier 43, 38 million). I've never had trouble finding people at Iron Keep and now it's a desert. Maybe all regular Dark Souls II players have migrated to Destiny :p

ElTopo

Banned
Could not sleep. So I was checking out my gear (that's what she said, har har) and I said "Fuck it" and bashed away with the Santier Spear. You know, the Durability bug on PC is not a big deal but for this specific case it really comes in handy. I want to say I wasted about 20 minutes before I got a really good spear to use. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Twinkling Titanite so I only got it up to +3 but still, good damage, really good moveset too, plus you never have to worry about durability. I think I'll keep it as my main for an Exalted Ring run.

Essay

Dragon bones are rarer than twinkling though.

But there is so much Twinkling to be poured into armor pieces for fashion souls.

Could not sleep. So I was checking out my gear (that's what she said, har har) and I said "Fuck it" and bashed away with the Santier Spear. You know, the Durability bug on PC is not a big deal but for this specific case it really comes in handy. I want to say I wasted about 20 minutes before I got a really good spear to use. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Twinkling Titanite so I only got it up to +3 but still, good damage, really good moveset too, plus you never have to worry about durability. I think I'll keep it as my main for an Exalted Ring run.

Its 2HR1's take less stamina than the other twinblades too (except the actual Twinblade), which lets you get a 5th R1 at a much lower stamina level.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You can farm Twinkling from the enemies in Shrine of Amana. Be sure to wear Jester Cap, Gold Serpent Ring +2 and Prisoners Tatters to help the drop. I kinda love and hate the no respawn. Makes it hard as shit to farm some items, but also makes it less of an annoyance to get to a boss. I hardly got upset dying to the boss, I just hated the run back. Not because the enemies were difficult, just because it was such a time waster. Guess it's jsut me though, I love bonfires in front of bosses heh.
I thought the prisoner tatters didn't stack with jester and serpent ring. That's another decision I didn't like. Hiding the item discovery stat.

v1perz53

I thought the prisoner tatters didn't stack with jester and serpent ring. That's another decision I didn't like. Hiding the item discovery stat.

Yea it is all anecdotal as far as what stacks and what doesn't. When I am farming I generally use prisoner's tatters and hood, a gold ring +2, and a Watchdragon Parma (because the description mentions being blessed by fortune) because why not, I don't know if they stack but might as well max my odds. If I am farming stuff I probably have down a very good method for killing them and don't need my armor anyway.

I dislike hiding this stat as well, and I really wish they would show crit modifiers on weapons as well. So many people confuse counter strength with crit modifier, would be much less confusing if both were shown.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've nearly exhausted the guys in amana. Any other place to get twinkling without ascetics? Also what bonfire resets the dark chasm?

Mistel

Banned
I've nearly exhausted the guys in amana. Any other place to get twinkling without ascetics? Also what bonfire resets the dark chasm?
Under the castle bonefire practically the only reason its there really is to reset darklurker. Statue clusters in the dlc drop twinkling if you want to farm them for it.

Ruuppa

There are surprisingly few places to farm Twinkling Titanite without Asceticcin' places. And you need a metric ton of it as well, if you want to test out different pieces of kit: 15 for weapons and 9 for armor to get them to max, sheesh. You really got to plan out what you want them for before using them.

v1perz53

Twinkling titanite is one of the things in this game that make me tempted to install a cheating device. I can understand making things like Titanite Slabs rare (even though they didn't), because the difference between a +9 and +10 weapon is small and it gives you that final push to make a weapon/armor best possible. But the difference between a +0 and a +5 Twinkling Weapon is massive. Why should I be penalized for wanting to try multiple weapons or armor? Twinkling is stupid in that if you are sure about the armor and weapon you want to use forever it is a non factor, but if you get bored or want to try something new it is a pain in the ass.

I am ok with the Chunk system, in that eventually you can buy infinite supplies from a vendor if you have the souls, I really wish they did this for Dragon Bones and Twinkling, even if they made them expensive. Sure you can aescetic for both of those, but I don't think you really should be forced to.

Has anyone ever come up with a good reason for Soul Memory outside of not getting SL1 Darkwraith'd? Because I need a reason to hate it less.

Right now it's frustrating because I get punished for two things: Using bow/arrow exclusively, and for upgrading a wide variety of items. It makes invasions so much more annoying when I know that instead of pumping in souls to their Arrows and 5 other sets of armors and weapons, they get to pump it into their soul Level and have way higher stats than I do.
I know I'm a weird outlier of a case, but it just sucks knowing that someone can still, effectively, SL1 Darkwraith me (Just me, not everyone) because I like dumping souls into shit that doesn't directly benefit my ability to kill things at any one given time.

EDIT: I do LOVE it during the early parts of the game, but using your souls inneffectively/dying and losing them as the course of the game moves on just allows a wider gap between "guy who plays for fun" and "Guy who min-max'd his soul memory".

Ruuppa

Has anyone ever come up with a good reason for Soul Memory outside of not getting SL1 Darkwraith'd? Because I need a reason to hate it less.

Right now it's frustrating because I get punished for two things: Using bow/arrow exclusively, and for upgrading a wide variety of items. It makes invasions so much more annoying when I know that instead of pumping in souls to their Arrows and 5 other sets of armors and weapons, they get to pump it into their soul Level and have way higher stats than I do.
I know I'm a weird outlier of a case, but it just sucks knowing that someone can still, effectively, SL1 Darkwraith me (Just me, not everyone) because I like dumping souls into shit that doesn't directly benefit my ability to kill things at any one given time.

EDIT: I do LOVE it during the early parts of the game, but using your souls inneffectively/dying and losing them as the course of the game moves on just allows a wider gap between "guy who plays for fun" and "Guy who min-max'd his soul memory".
It blocks low-SL twinking. That's it. Nothing else. And it's never going away.

And it does screw over Archers especially badly, since all of your bow attacks cost souls.
Didnt the Giant lord farm can reset two twinkling titanite outside the tree every time too? thats how I get them

With Ascetics there are a couple of good places to farm Twinkling, no problem there. But if you don't want to Ascetic places for whatever reason, there are almost no places to farm them.

v1perz53

But you only need 1, take the TT, take the ascetic in the memory and repeat

True, but you should not have to give yourself a bonfire level 50 Giant Lord to fight in NG+ just because you wanted some Twinkling Titanite in NG to upgrade stuff. Just silly design to not have it ever purchasable or have more places to farm it. Plus, I don't generally like using aescetics because I like my whole game to be of even difficulty if I can help it. Silly point, but it remains.

True, but you should not have to give yourself a bonfire level 50 Giant Lord to fight in NG+ just because you wanted some Twinkling Titanite in NG to upgrade stuff. Just silly design to not have it ever purchasable or have more places to farm it. Plus, I don't generally like using aescetics because I like my whole game to be of even difficulty if I can help it. Silly point, but it remains.

That wouldnt break the point of rare materials?

In DS1 was the titanite slabs and the specific titanite for infusions per run.

Still there are tons of TT armors right lol

Ruuppa

In DS1 you couldn't permanently* exterminate your farms, nor did farming automatically push you up in SL.

Rare materials are fine, but I just want a method of getting them without pushing difficulty up in areas or making online play more difficult. I'm absolutely fine with farming for hours to get just one Slab, no problem there for me.

v1perz53

But it isn't a rare material at all. Like you said, you can farm it infinitely at the Giant Lord. Why is that different from buying it from Chloanne at a high-ish price like Titanite Chunks? Anyway, like I said before, Slabs worked in DkS 1 as a rare thing because the difference between a +14 and +15 weapon was small, so if you didn't get it it wasn't THAT bad. But the difference between a +0 and +5 twinkling or dragon bone weapon is massive. They should've had like a Super Dragon Bone and a Twinkling Slab that took those from +4 to +5 and made those rare or something.

Also agree with everything Ruuppa said above.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
20 minutes? Ouch. By joining the rat covenant, you can wail away on the Mastodon near where you find the spear and it breaks in like 3-4 minutes. Might not be that practical for no-bonfire runs though...

v1perz53

20 minutes? Ouch. By joining the rat covenant, you can wail away on the Mastodon near where you find the spear and it breaks in like 3-4 minutes. Might not be that practical for no-bonfire runs though...

I used a Santier's for my no bonfire run as well, but I broke and upgraded it in NG and did the no bonfire run in NG+. Found it much easier that way, to prepare for the run in NG by buying a ton of Lifegems and upgrading gear and such. I also did my no death run in NG and followed it up with the no bonfire run in NG+, so I have one character with both invisible weapons! Though giving up two ring slots makes it a bit impractical, but it is fun to catch an invader by surprise by shooting invisible 1H Avelynn shots at them.

ok the anvil on a stick weapon might be pretty cliche by now but i'm lovign it

I just wish the Anvil had the "sit the f*** down!" 2H R2 that the Great and Large Clubs have, because I love keeping one of those type around for the odd "cheese an annoying NPC phantom" moment. But the Anvil is pretty awesome anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i keep the large club in my inventory for that same reason

but it's somehow not as cool as a fucking anvil chained to a stick lol

ElFly

Are we talking about these giants?

Or these?

Any relation?

My theory is that it is the same race, but whatever Vendrick stole from them caused them to go hole-faced, which is prolly their version of being hollowed. Chances are they don't have the hole normally, but they still cover their faces for a reason in DS1. Of course, there's no mention of the DS1 giants becoming trees at death, so whatevs.

Mistel

Banned
I just wish the Anvil had the "sit the f*** down!" 2H R2 that the Great and Large Clubs have, because I love keeping one of those type around for the odd "cheese an annoying NPC phantom" moment. But the Anvil is pretty awesome anyway.
You can still knock people down with that weapon with the spin attack.

My theory is that it is the same race, but whatever Vendrick stole from them caused them to go hole-faced, which is prolly their version of being hollowed. Chances are they don't have the hole normally, but they still cover their faces for a reason in DS1.

It would be another race of giants since there are more primitive and have different physiology compared to DS giants, it would be DS1 giants since there were no gods after DS1 events so they "evolved" to be more primal,shorter and less merficul.

But I always tought the giants in DS1 were some kinds of servants or slaves at the service of the gods like the serpent race

ElFly

It would be another race of giants since there are more primitive and have different physiology compared to DS giants, it would be DS1 giants since there were no gods after DS1 events so they "evolved" to be more primal,shorter and less merficul.

But I always tought the giants in DS1 were some kinds of servants or slaves at the service of the gods like the serpent race

I always saw Gough and the Giant Blacksmith as emissaries of good will from another land to Gwyn, so it'd make sense that there are just a couple of them and that they are subservient to the royal family.

Don't see either of them as more primitive. DS2 giants have the advanced technology of catapults and can use magic, while DS1 ones have learned blacksmithing and archery.

Ruuppa

DkS1 giants did seem to be more servitors than anything else. The ones in Sen's Funhouse were set to do menial tasks like opening gates or throwing things at visitors. Only the blacksmith and Gough were above that, and they both had exceptional skills for which they were recognized. And even then, Gough was seen as a "brutish giant" and his helm's eye sockets were packed with resin, making the poor guy think he had gone blind.

Ruuppa

If we go by the lore of DkS2, the answer is no. It's said that Vendrick created them after coming back from the land beyond the sea.
Sen's Fortress boss. Iron Golem
iron-golem-large.jpg

Edit: Well, crap. Also forgot about the Stone Knights, who're Golems created by Oolacile sorceries, and Crystal Golems made by Seath. Aaaaand the Titanite Demons, kind of.

I was completely thinking only about the golems we see at the end of DkS2, and the ones that operate the doors etc. in the Drangleic Castle.

Top Bottom