• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

The Iron King was a sick bastard, that's the only reason D:

I mean, he was the guy who thought hunting down the undead and bringing them to a colosseum to torture them was a good idea.

Mistel

Banned
I mean, he was the guy who thought hunting down the undead and bringing them to a colosseum to torture them was a good idea.
That was the skeleton lords responsible for the capture of undead during the iron kings reign they were trapped in the copse in those lock aways..

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Even if you're still in NG if you use a bonfire ascetic they'll only respawn once. What parts are you missing? I have an extra helmet and leggings.

Havent gotten any pieces yet. I'm debating whether or not to beat gargoyles again to get that +2 serpent ring so I havent done any real farming outside of twinkling in Amana (which maybe I should have waited on too.

ElFly

Yes but Sen's fortress was specifically designed to be a death trap to all those who entered. That was it's entire purpose, to serve as a means to keep the unworthy out of Anor Londo, the city of the goods. Every trap is there to test people to prove their worth. Iron Keep was just a place where the Iron King lived that had a volcano erupt under it. There is no reason why when it was built it would have had traps and spike cages. It was a forge, so the lava traps and to a lesser extent the flame heads make sense, but the guillotines and spike cages? Not so much.

Eeeeh, excuses.

Sen Fortress is waaaay more videogamey that Iron Keep. In Iron Keep, you just happen to have to use the cage guillotine duct because the castle sunk into lava. Otherwise you'd just traverse through the ground level, instead of going through the old ceilings of the castle.

Sen Fortress is fun and all but when I see it I think of Castlevania and Edgar Allan Poe, and remember that I am in a videogame. It is def not a place "that existed that happens you play a videogame in" unless the purpose of SF was that videogame-like activities could happen there.

That was the skeleton lords responsible for the capture of undead during the iron kings reign they were trapped in the copse in those lock aways..

I think the lore is that they were specifically ordered to by the OIK, not that they coexisted with the King but were doing their own thing.

e:
The Old Iron King commanded the capture of all Undead, but those charged with the task were overcome by the curse.

Mistel

Banned
I think the lore is that they were specifically ordered to by the OIK, not that they coexisted with the King but were doing their own thing.
I know that I'm just saying they were the ones responsible for the capture of the undead at the behest of the iron king during his reign.

ElFly

I know that I'm just saying they were the ones responsible for the capture of the undead at the behest of the iron king during his reign.

Maybe OIK was a really reasonable guy but everyone misunderstood him.

Maybe Undead Purgatory was originally intended as a research facility but then the Skeleton Lords started having too much fun with the undead.

Mistel

Banned

Maybe Undead Purgatory was originally intended as a research facility but then the Skeleton Lords started having too much fun with the undead.
The excutioner chariot is pretty much created to torture the undead continuously as it goes round and around.

For some reason I imagined a Japanese sports tournament were the undead were having fun there.

ElFly

The excutioner chariot is pretty much created to torture the undead continuously as it goes round and around.

OIK was ecstatic about the reported advances on undead horseys races.

For some reason I imagined a Japanese sports tournament were the undead were having fun there.

From the outside you can see some structures and one looks like a ferris wheel... (I think you can see them from the BoB dueling grounds tho).

v1perz53

Eeeeh, excuses.

Sen Fortress is waaaay more videogamey that Iron Keep. In Iron Keep, you just happen to have to use the cage guillotine duct because the castle sunk into lava. Otherwise you'd just traverse through the ground level, instead of going through the old ceilings of the castle.

Sen Fortress is fun and all but when I see it I think of Castlevania and Edgar Allan Poe, and remember that I am in a videogame. It is def not a place "that existed that happens you play a videogame in" unless the purpose of SF is that it existed only so videogame-like activities could happen there.

e:

I mean, you're more or less missing my point. Sen's Fortress is much more video gamey than IK, but the reason for it being like that is written directly into the story and lore of the area. It was designed to more or less be a video game level for those that reached it, challenging them to get past traps and stuff to reach the city of the gods. More or less the only reason SF existed was, as you said, so that video game like activities could happen there.

I'm not saying an area being video gamey is bad, I am playing a video game so I want my levels to have traps and challenges and such. Both Sen's and IK have fun traps to overcome. But Sen's is more creative because the traps have a reason for existing. In IK they don't as much. You can call it an "excuse" but the whole idea is to have a good excuse as to why a place would feel like a video game, and that is what Sen's does.

And you keep calling it a guillotine duct, but there is a clear straight path to a perfectly normal staircase leading to a fully formed door/archway type thing that opens to what you call a duct. To me, that is a hallway. If they wanted to sell me on the fact that this was a duct that wasn't originally meant to have people walk through it, don't put a giant door there, put a broken wall so I feel like I am going somewhere not intended originally. Boom, instantly sold me on the layout.

I haven't touched Demons' Souls yet and I just thought about it, are there any levels that are really platformy? As in, having to jump between gaps to get through areas? The closest I can think of is upon entering Huntsman's Copse and that's just to get to the bottom of that area. Otherwise there's the Ash Forest but again, that's just a descent down with a pain in the ass climbing back up.

I wish there was more use of jumping in-game other than dodging attacks and looking like a bad-ass.

v1perz53

I haven't touched Demons' Souls yet and I just thought about it, are there any levels that are really platformy? As in, having to jump between gaps to get through areas? The closest I can think of is upon entering Huntsman's Copse and that's just to get to the bottom of that area. Otherwise there's the Ash Forest but again, that's just a descent down with a pain in the ass climbing back up.

I wish there was more use of jumping in-game other than dodging attacks and looking like a bad-ass.

You can't jump in Demon's Souls so there aren't really platformy segments heh. There is falling down, but no real jumping stuff.

ElFly

Dunno man.

To me that says that you think the lore says that SF was supposed to be videogamey, so it is ok because the lore says that Gwyn was a dick and made his non teleporting subjects to "prove their worth" before accessing Anor Londo. Which is kind of crazy.

v1perz53

Dunno man.

To me that says that you accept the lore that SF was supposed to be videogamey, so it is ok because the lore says that Gwyn was a dick and made his non teleporting subjects to "prove their worth" before accessing Anor Londo. Which is kind of crazy.

The lore of Sen's Fortress is pretty well established and accepted at this point. But anyway, talking about DkS 1 lore is a bit off topic from this thread, so I won't really go much further than to say there are obvious in game lore reasons why Sen's Fortress has traps (and they don't necessarily have anything to do with Gwyn), and that they could have done similar stuff with Iron Keep but they didn't and I would've preferred if they did.

Dunno man.

To me that says that you accept the lore that SF was supposed to be videogamey, so it is ok because the lore says that Gwyn was a dick and made his non teleporting subjects to "prove their worth" before accessing Anor Londo. Which is kind of crazy.

The Old Iron King and Lord Gwynn are very similar, that's why they fused together to become Ichorous Earth. Both of them hunted down the undead and were kinda crazy. I insist that traps in the Iron Keep are there just because the guy was a dick.

NEO0MJ

Havent gotten any pieces yet. I'm debating whether or not to beat gargoyles again to get that +2 serpent ring so I havent done any real farming outside of twinkling in Amana (which maybe I should have waited on too.

You really should get the ring before doing any farming, but you can't use a bonfire ascetic to fight them again so the only way to get the ring is in NG+, which means you can't farm ruin sentinels. Just use whatever luck boosting items and equipment you have and fight them.

Mistel

Banned
You really should get the ring before doing any farming, but you can't use a bonfire ascetic to fight them again so the only way to get the ring is in NG+, which means you can't farm ruin sentinels.
That's incorrect the upper ramparts bonfire resets the belfry gargoyles giving you the +2 ring.
OIK was ecstatic about the reported advances on undead horseys races.
So advanced the executioner isn't even needed.

v1perz53

You really should get the ring before doing any farming, but you can't use a bonfire ascetic to fight them again so the only way to get the ring is in NG+, which means you can't farm ruin sentinels. Just use whatever luck boosting items and equipment you have and fight them.

You definitely can use an aescetic in NG to get the Gold Serpent Ring +2 from the gargoyles. I did it this way on my first playthrough. I believe you use the bonfire right after the boss and it respawns them. This was months ago though.

Yes but Sen's fortress was specifically designed to be a death trap to all those who entered. That was it's entire purpose, to serve as a means to keep the unworthy out of Anor Londo, the city of the goods. Every trap is there to test people to prove their worth. Iron Keep was just a place where the Iron King lived that had a volcano erupt under it. There is no reason why when it was built it would have had traps and spike cages. It was a forge, so the lava traps and to a lesser extent the flame heads make sense, but the guillotines and spike cages? Not so much.

RIP pedestrians and people living in the castle so out of place.

You definitely can use an aescetic in NG to get the Gold Serpent Ring +2 from the gargoyles. I did it this way on my first playthrough. I believe you use the bonfire right after the boss and it respawns them. This was months ago though.

I can confirm that use an ascetic in the bonfire AFTER the gargoyles bosses not the bonfire before it.

Ruuppa

Motherfu-. Oh well, I guess it's a game of attrition then :/

Once you beat Heide, you can open another route that doesn't lead to Bastile. It's a somewhat easier route.

And you can bypass those 6 dudes if you wish. Just run straight down the stairs, and up a ladder you find there.

Man I just got invaded by such an awesome dude. So I was doing my Tower of Prayer with Delicate String on and being in Way of Blue covenant. So the guy invades me the first time, Invader Police kills him. Then the same guy invades, but no rescue is deployed. So I wait a while and then suddenly a Great Bow bolt gets launched into the room. I go look and the guy is on the bridge across. He starts shooting the arrows and I keep dodging em. Finally we start trading emotes, I keep doing Praise The Sun, and No Way after he launches the arrow. I then turn around and do prostration hoping he launches an arrow and he does. That mind sync. After awhile he starts spamming Dark Greatsword and stuff. I started staring at him through the binoculars and he did the same thing back. I was about to kill myself with ring of protection on so he can get his souls back for the Orb I made him waste, but my FPS dropped and I couldn't do it in time. Truly a sad day :(. He's one of the only invaders I could ever love.

Edit: If anyone is interested this has the full word list of everything that is filtered: http://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/

Just in case you want to make a character and not have them end up with **** all over the place. You know which words to avoid. I wish they would make it so if the word "ass" is filtered it only filters it if it's alone. So cases like where the persons name is "assassin don't end up "******in"

Ruuppa

Edit: If anyone is interested this has the full word list of everything that is filtered: http://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/

Just in case you want to make a character and not have them end up with **** all over the place. You know which words to avoid. I wish they would make it so if the word "ass" is filtered it only filters it if it's alone. So cases like where the persons name is "assassin don't end up "******in"

I use this myself: https://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls2CensorCheck/

Ruuppa

So I want to confirm something: Has spell-canceling to a roll or a backstep always been a thing, or is it something that the recent patches introduced? I don't remember seeing it happen in PVP until recently.

I really hope the guy that had the brilliant idea of durability loss should be based off FPS got fired. My weapon broke during a fight(It was full durability before the fight) and I didn't have a back up equipped, so I add to go through my inventory mid-fight and I died. Boss was at like 20% health.

onionfrog

I really hope the guy that had the brilliant idea of durability loss should be based off FPS got fired. My weapon broke during a fight(It was full durability before the fight) and I didn't have a back up equipped, so I add to go through my inventory mid-fight and I died. Boss was at like 20% health.
It is kinda shit. I've had the same thing happen a few times.

Now I just make sure to carry at least two weapons at all times.

Mistel

Banned
It's not just that based of frames lots of stuff is tied to it like ripostes and attack animations.

Ruuppa

Well I mean it in the sense that at 60 FPS the durability loss is 2x as much as 30 FPS when doing things that cause durability loss.

Even without that FPS bug your weapon loses durability for every single active frame while inside a ragdoll/disappearing enemy/friendly phantom, instead of just for one frame like it does when striking an alive enemy. IIRC the devs have said that this is "working as intended", but it's really grinding my gears.
-Snip Bloodborne stuff-

Does stun work like a riposte, or is it a separate system? How about backstabs?

TnK

I don't know where to write this, so might as well write it here since I know you guys are interested in this game.

Played Bloodborne today, and beat the demo. It was the same demo that in gamescom, and it was nice to get my hands on the game.

In a nutshell, the game is the most atmospheric from software game I have played. It even beats tower of latria in atmosphere. Also, whoever said the game is easy isn't telling the truth, lol. You die in two hits if not careful vs heavy hitters in classic souls fashion. The maximum blood vials I got was 11, which is a normal number in any souls game if you attune/collect estus flasks. Managed to beat the boss on my third try, and he destroyed me instantly in the first two. What didn't help was the choppy frame rate and the input lag in the TV, nevertheless, it was really good.
Weapons don't do much damage vs bosses, but if you attack certain parts properly, you get to have a very damaging attack when the boss is down.

Also, guns are mainly used to stun enemies, and then damage enemies with a strong counter the same way you do so vs a boss. This is a pure melee game, even if the guns are there, so no worries there.
Overall, the game is souls, but faster. Really enjoyed what I tried, and is really worth getting a PS4 for this game.

Even without that FPS bug your weapon loses durability for every single active frame while inside a ragdoll/disappearing enemy/friendly phantom, instead of just for one frame like it does when striking an alive enemy. IIRC the devs have said that this is "working as intended", but it's really grinding my gears.

That's incredibly stupid. The only positive thing I can see this used for is breaking the Santiers Spear. Other than that, annoyingly pointless other than trying to make you use multiple weapons.

Ruuppa

Another question, then. They say you can fight Vendrick again but that his soul won't respawn, is that true?

According to the wiki you can't get his soul by just Asceticcin' him, got to be a new round.
Makes sense, since he himself doesn't drop it.
Can't say that I've personally tried it though.

The soul of the king in amana is only available once per playthrough.

Guess that's why they do it, so you could only get his soul once. But it's not like his soul is super special or anything, the Kings Ultra Greatsword is neat and all but isn't the Giants Club better? Speaking of which if you BA the memory that gives Giants Club, do you get another?

v1perz53

This is the most absolutely frustrating thing about playing on PC. And what Stormtrooper meant regarding Ripostes and rolls and stuff is that by playing on PC at 60 FPS you have half the riposte window and half the roll invincibility time as someone on PS3 (e.g for a roll since it is calculated as frames, both of you get, say 12 iframes during a roll at 105 agi, PC has 0.2 sec invincibility and PS3 has 0.4). Of course, the snappier response of 60 FPS makes up for this a little bit but not completely.

Really frustrating overall. I have said before the worst part of this to me is the fact that on PC I can get the "XX weapon at risk" message and the "XX weapon broke" message on the same damn swing if I kill an enemy with that swing (and the weapon continues through their corpse).

Guess that's why they do it, so you could only get his soul once. But it's not like his soul is super special or anything, the Kings Ultra Greatsword is neat and all but isn't the Giants Club better? Speaking of which if you BA the memory that gives Giants Club, do you get another?

Vendrick stuff isn't that great at all. Throne Defender Shield is basically straight better than King's Shield, Ruler's Sword has an incredibly dumb mechanic capping at over a million souls, and the Ultra Greatsword is fine but nothing special.

Ruuppa

The FPS thing also affects backstab/riposte damage by screwing with the "ticks" of damage the weapons hit during them, meaning that they do more damage on the PC. Not sure if they fixed it in the latest patch, since they seem to do a lot less damage than before.

This is the most absolutely frustrating thing about playing on PC. And what Stormtrooper meant regarding Ripostes and rolls and stuff is that by playing on PC at 60 FPS you have half the riposte window and half the roll invincibility time as someone on PS3 (e.g for a roll since it is calculated as frames, both of you get, say 12 iframes during a roll at 105 agi, PC has 0.2 sec invincibility and PS3 has 0.4). Of course, the snappier response of 60 FPS makes up for this a little bit but not completely.

Really frustrating overall. I have said before the worst part of this to me is the fact that on PC I can get the "XX weapon at risk" message and the "XX weapon broke" message on the same damn swing if I kill an enemy with that swing (and the weapon continues through their corpse).

Vendrick stuff isn't that great at all. Throne Defender Shield is basically straight better than King's Shield, Ruler's Sword has an incredibly dumb mechanic capping at over a million souls, and the Ultra Greatsword is fine but nothing special.

O, ok that makes sense I misinterpreted what they meant. I've never had it been close to breaking and then break though, that would really bug me. Is it too much to ask for a durability loss that's between what we have now and what was in DS1? DS1 weapons were pretty much invincible, and while I did like that it made durability useless basically. Even crystal weapons that were supposed to be low durability lasted quite a long time.
Yeah when I first saw rulers sword I was like, I NEEEEEEEEEEEED IT! Then I wiki'd it to make sure, and posted here about it and suddenly I found myself question as to why anyone would ever use it. Yay for community help!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All the Souls games seem to have idiotic shit tied to fps

Mistel

Banned
At 50/50 Giants club has an AR of 667 kings ultra has 651 for AR so it's better by 16 AR. The bonfire for the memory of vammar is place unbeknownst and you can get another as it is on a corpse.
Being the only ultra that does strike along with being the strongest ultra does make it a teeny bit special. At 50/50 it's outperfoming the smelter hammer and barely outperformed by the giant club.

Ruuppa

At 50/50 Giants club has an AR of 667 kings ultra has 651 for AR so it's better by 16 AR. The bonfire for the memory of vammar is place unbeknownst and you can get another as it is on a corpse.

Being the only ultra that does strike along with being the strongest ultra does make it a teeny bit special. At 50/50 it's outperfoming the smelter hammer and barely outperformed by the giant club.

The Giant's Club is nice for short bouts, but it breaks pretty damn easily if you're on the PC. KUGS on the other hand has a whopping 100 durability, and can last you a long time. Plus KUGS has a 110 critical bonus, so on counters it deals more damage.

NEO0MJ

Its description mention doing damage to armors. Does it mean it hurt durability or just that it does strike damage, which many armors don't protect from well?

Mistel

Banned
The Giant's Club is nice for short bouts, but it breaks pretty damn easily if you're on the PC. KUGS on the other hand has a whopping 100 durability, and can last you a long time. Plus KUGS has a 110 critical bonus, so on counters it deals more damage.
Yeah that stuff too that arguably puts it above the rest of them.
Its description mention doing damage to armors. Does it mean it hurt durability or just that it does strike damage, which many armors don't protect from well?
It does both strike damage and damage to armor durability too.

TnK

Does stun work like a riposte, or is it a separate system? How about backstabs?
Yes, stun works like a riposte. Couldn't backstab an enemy as they would turn even if you walk slowly behind them or when they are standing. Performing a riposte on bosses is really nice though, I enjoyed that mechanic.

Ruuppa

Yes, stun works like a riposte. Couldn't backstab an enemy as they would turn even if you walk slowly behind them or when they are standing. Performing a riposte on bosses is really nice though, I enjoyed that mechanic.

Nice, can hardly wait for it. Too bad a PC port is nowhere on the cards, especially since Demons' is still exclusive.. Here's to hoping, though.

Top Bottom