• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

was just thinking cos anor londo giants remind me of automatons for some reason

They're illusions. They did exist at one point, since we've got paintings of them in Anor Londo, but the ones we get to fight are just illusions. Could have acted the same way as the real things, but still.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So is using ascetic on the dark chasm the only way to get a net positive on ascetics for other areas? I know there are a few like Giant Lord that allow you to constantly cycle through one area. Also what armors should I look to level for high magic defense if im gonna have to fight a high level darklurker?

Also why would From nerf bosses? That seems so anti dark souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
They're illusions. They did exist at one point, since we've got paintings of them in Anor Londo, but the ones we get to fight are just illusions. Could have acted the same way as the real things, but still.

oh didn't know this

very interesting

is it true also for the
silver knights
? where do you get this information from?

So is using ascetic on the dark chasm the only way to get a net positive on ascetics for other areas? I know there are a few like Giant Lord that allow you to constantly cycle through one area. Also what armors should I look to level for high magic defense if im gonna have to fight a high level darklurker?

who did they nerf?

So apparently I have been "soft banned" from the game, :(, I barely get to play this game and this is beyond disappointing.

More info:

Seems like FROM is banning people if they restore backups in the PC version, which happens to me from time to time because I play in 2 different computers in my house (livingroom and my bedroom), and because FROM didnt implement Cloud saves, I have to copy paste my save between computers, well, from time to time I forget to copy the save and I just continue playing whatever save I have in the computer that Im currently using.

I had no idea but it seems FROM is using your last reported Soul Memory to their servers and if you ever log into the game having less SM than the last time you logged in, you get banned.

Of course this is the same method assholes use to never run out of Red Eye Orbs among other things.

I understand why FROM needs to ban people that do shady stuff but I wished their detection was better than just basing it on the SM level, now I know why this game doesnt support cloud saves, everyone would get banned if their save ever went out of sync.

Im not sure if im going to continue playing, I only made it to Huntsman copse and I was wondering why I wasnt seeing any summon signs or online activity :(, completely gutted.

i wonder if golems exist in dks1

It was a technique stolen from Oolacile, it was used to tame creatures and infuse souls into innanimate objects like Rock Golems, protecting the garden and tame the Gardeners, it was used as a form of torture (maybe thats how they tamed the creatures?) to torture Manus to makes him show his Dark Soul.

After the events of Artorias of the abyss DLC, the technique was lost but was rediscovered by Seath and was possibly used as taming other creatures and the creation of the Iron Golem as well.

The technique was later revived again by Nashandra and the Iron King, who learned it from the creature from the dark chasm.

It only affects the bonfire area, not the entire level , the giant lord farm area have always an ascetic in his area so you use that ascetic to get another one while farming the boss.

not only bosses but areas too

So apparently I have been "soft banned" from the game, :(, I barely get to play this game and this is beyond disappointing.

More info:

Seems like FROM is banning people if they restore backups in the PC version, which happens to me from time to time because I play in 2 different computers in my house (livingroom and my bedroom), and because FROM didnt implement Cloud saves, I have to copy paste my save between computers, well, from time to time I forget to copy the save and I just continue playing whatever save I have in the computer that Im currently using.

I had no idea but it seems FROM is using your last reported Soul Memory to their servers and if you ever log into the game having less SM than the last time you logged in, you get banned.

Of course this is the same method assholes use to never run out of Red Eye Orbs among other things.

I understand why FROM needs to ban people that do shady stuff but I wished their detection was better than just basing it on the SM level, now I know why this game doesnt support cloud saves, everyone would get banned if their save ever went out of sync.

Im not sure if im going to continue playing, I only made it to Huntsman copse and I was wondering why I wasnt seeing any summon signs or online activity :(, completely gutted.

If this is true this is some bullshit. I use a back up because from doesn't have cloud saving.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yes it's true for them too. It happens after you "kill" Gywnevre it's Gywndolin's illusion.
oh, right

i never could bring myself to do that :p

It was a technique stolen from Oolacile, it was used to tame creatures and infuse souls into innanimate objects like Rock Golems, protecting the garden and tame the Gardeners, it was used as a form of torture (maybe thats how they tamed the creatures?) to torture Manus to makes him show his Dark Soul.

After the events of Artorias of the abyss DLC, the technique was lost but was rediscovered by Seath and was possibly used as taming other creatures and the creation of the Iron Golem as well.

The technique was later revived again by Nashandra and the Iron King, who learned it from the creature from the dark chasm.
very interesting

i wish someone succeeded vaatividya in doing lore videos as he seems to take forever with each one and i really enjoy ppl connecting the dots for me.

like briding the gap between dks1 and 2 is a lot of unexplored territory for lore videos

If this is true this is some bullshit. I use a back up because from doesn't have cloud saving.

The worse part is that Im not even sure if im banned, all I know is that I barely ever see summon signs and when I do, they never go through, everyone at Reddit says to go check out the: "Iron keep bridge" but alas I havent made it out that far into the game.

Im almost 100% sure im banned though because I have been backing up/restoring my save since the games release, so im guessing they would have detected me already :(, my syncs become out of the sync all the time because sometimes I open the game too fast before the new save has been synced (I use dropbox), thats enough reason for a ban according to FROM.

Ruuppa

For Darklurker you want Dark and Fire resistances. Enough of those, and you'll be taking peanuts from him. Dispelling Ring +1 and the Dark/Flame Quartz Ring +3 together will give you 270 defense against both, which already cuts his damage by about 25%. Great Magic Barrier, Magic Barrier or Flash Sweat (if you don't have Faith) will further cut his damage considerably. If you have Pharros' Mask, this setup will give you around 600 Fire resist, making his triple fireball into almost a non-issue.

Rebel's Greatshield can block just about everything he can throw at you with minimal damage, and is even better when Dark infused.

For armor, you're looking at caster armor. Chaos Set is quite excellent with high Dark and Fire resistances, but requires 16 Int/Fai. Hexer's Set is also quite good.
The worse part is that Im not even sure if im banned, all I know is that I barely ever see summon signs and when I do, they never go through, everyone at Reddit says to go check out the: "Iron keep bridge" but alas I havent made it out that far into the game.

Im almost 100% sure im banned though because I have been backing up/restoring my save since the games release, so im guessing they would have detected me already :(, my syncs become out of the sync all the time because sometimes I open the game too fast before the new save has been synced (I use dropbox), thats enough reason for a ban according to FROM.

According to rumours you can also get softbanned for trading items between players, so there's also that. Which is just awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I got soft banned as well, I just opened a second steam account and family shared to it when I want to play online.

Just checked the bridge and I seem to be okay for now. Really lazy and sloppy implementation by From though. People should not be punished for trying to save their characters.

I am more interested about the 5 undeads who relinked the fire backstory, The Arch Drakes secret propurse, who is living in the Heide's fire tower, the fire states of pyromancie, what happened to Alva, Elizabeth and Lucatiel

which cover

i bought it on steam <3

This guy

1394118904-dark-souls-2-unpublished-art.jpg

Mistel

Banned
I am more interested about the 5 undeads who relinked the fire backstory, The Arch Drakes secret propurse, who is living in the Heide's fire tower, the fire states of pyromancie, what happened to Alva, Elizabeth and Lucatiel
Alva got kinda by seduced Zullie who had a change of heart and decided to help him. Alva came a cropper of something and kicked the bucket. If that cut bonfire is anything to go by.

Ruuppa

Saint Elizabeth is the mushroomgal you find in DkS1 DLC. "It's thought her great virtue was matched only by her sublime beauty, but who can say now?" is a cute joke about her.
It is assumed that she is long dead.

Heide is so cool and I really want to see that place in its prime, especially since its Knights are all over the place as optional funtime fights.

Sorta golems are just stick any souls in the appropriate place and they work like the ones that open doors in drangleic castles same thing more or less.

Dont forget the turtle knights and the smelter demon, drangelic golems are so defective it needs more souls to propertly work again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I wish DS2 stop making DS1 connections and stands on its own. DS1 was like 1000 years ago in the timelapse

The only person who really needs to remain is Velka, because she is the best.

I wished the level design would actually feel like it was a real place that had people at some point or had function other than "deathtrap" (unless the point is to be a death trap like Sens). They mostly feel illogical and I hate to use the word but I cant find a better one, but they feel gamey. Like why is there a random guillotine in a hallway in Iron Keep? I think part of it is because areas in Dark Souls arent suppose to really be that open. Its very hard to get lost. They try hard not to go open world, even for individual areas. But to be fair this is the case with nearly all games. It just sticks out in Dark Souls because the games mostly take place "after the end" and its obvious the areas make no sense when you try to think back to how they were before things fell apart.

Mistel

Banned
Dont forget the turtle knights and the smelter demon, drangelic golems are so defective it needs more souls to propertly work again.
Ironclads were iron king creations with all that iron. The second gen ones Vendricks had are all rickety and decrepit those are the ones that are probably bit less effective. Hence the difference between the two types.

Zocano

I dunno. I get the complaints of "too many connections" but the only time I felt it was *too* strong was Old Dragonslayer and that was mostly in hindsight.

I like the whole cycle of regeneration stuff and thought the Lord Soul bosses were done well (as far as story integration).

Old Dragonslayer felt like he was just there to be there and make you go "oh shit".

v1perz53

I dunno. I get the complaints of "too many connections" but the only time I felt it was *too* strong was Old Dragonslayer and that was mostly in hindsight.

I like the whole cycle of regeneration stuff and thought the Lord Soul bosses were done well (as far as story integration).

Old Dragonslayer felt like he was just there to be there and make you go "oh shit".

Eh, my favorite parts of Dark Souls 2 were the connections to the first game. If they wanted to make a game with a completely separate plot, they had every ability to call it Dragon's Souls or Giant's Souls or something new, and nobody would have been confused given that the games went from Demon's to Dark. But by calling it Dark Souls 2, I expect connections between the two. They have Bloodborne to make a new plot without connections, but I want them and enjoy them in DkS 2.

I also like that they are mostly cryptic level connections, where you have to really dig in and have your own theories. The person that never got the lore from DkS 1 will not get any connections to DkS 2 besides Old Dragonslayer (which I agree was too much). But I loved stuff like the Saint Elizabeth being a beauty tidbit, it made me smile that I "got" it. Thought it was cool.

Zocano

I actually like Dark Souls 2's unique story lines a bit more. They feel like they have a bit more character to them.

I mean specifically Vendrick and Aldia. You can see the extent to which Vendrick went to shut out Nashandra, the kingdom he built (and conquered) and, although maybe not executed as best as it could have, I liked Aldia's house of horrors and the extent to which he went to try and "cure" the curse.

v1perz53

I actually like Dark Souls 2's unique story lines a bit more. They feel like they have a bit more character to them.

I mean specifically Vendrick and Aldia. You can see the extent to which Vendrick went to shut out Nashandra, the kingdom he built (and conquered) and, although maybe not executed as best as it could have, I liked Aldia's house of horrors and the extent to which he went to try and "cure" the curse.

I felt a little "hit over the head" with the Dark Souls 2 storyline, after the absolutely minimal story in the first game that was overtly told. But this is probably only a personal complaint, as I actively sought out lore videos from the first game to understand the story, so to someone who didn't do that they probably preferred it more like the second.

But I agree I liked Vendrick and Aldia stuff, I agree on the house of horrors part, that place felt so creepy in a cool way. And finding out possibly what happened to Aldia was very cool too. I just really liked when they tied new DkS 2 lore in with old lore, like it would be very interesting to me to associate the giants in 2 with the giants in 1, and have what Vendrick "stole" be a part of why they are different game to game.

I thought the prisoner tatters didn't stack with jester and serpent ring. That's another decision I didn't like. Hiding the item discovery stat.

You may be right. I don't know, there's no actual stat that shows item discovery so it's hard to tell. If you can, wear it anyways, just to be safe.

Quick question: once I'm in NG+++ how many million souls do I need to get past the boss door in Shaded Woods? I think I have about 5 million boss souls in my inventory now.

It's 1 million for each NG. so 1 Mill in NG, 2 Mill in NG+, etc. Also it has to be SM earned in THAT NG. So if you have 3 Mill SM in NG, then go too NG+ you need 2 Mill more SM so you have a total of 5 Mill SM.

Yeah, the sens fortress giants where all chained up and forced to throw fire bombs and boulders all day long.

The giant smith got to do what he loves though :3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have a question. If I wanna farm for the ruin armor, if I ascetic the kings gate bonfire will I still get 15 more summons of each or will they shift to ng+ mode where they only respawn once?

neoism

Didnt the Giant lord farm can reset two twinkling titanite outside the tree every time too? thats how I get them

yeah but the best place to get them is in the first dlc using an BA on the second bonfire and its in the chest right where the puzzling sword is you get 3 and also 3 dragon bones.. Do that like 10 times and you'll have alot lol

neoism

More info:

:/ man little worried lol I've made like 50+ backups pretty much everytime I play the game I make one but I cant remember if I copied and pasted it back in...?

Guys should I feel bad about this?
I'm camping in Tower of Prayer while in Way of Blue. wearing the Delicate String ring and using a Token of Spite D:.

Couple questions I wanna know.
1. Why are there 10 healing items? 11 if you include the DLC. Seems like an overkill.
2. Why can't you drop covenant items? Like Rat Tail, Sunlight Medals, etc.
3. Why can't you drop Titanite? I have so much Twinkling Titanite that I will likely not use. Seems weird not to be able to drop em.

NEO0MJ

I have a question. If I wanna farm for the ruin armor, if I ascetic the kings gate bonfire will I still get 15 more summons of each or will they shift to ng+ mode where they only respawn once?

Even if you're still in NG if you use a bonfire ascetic they'll only respawn once. What parts are you missing? I have an extra helmet and leggings.

Ruuppa

I'm camping in Tower of Prayer while in Way of Blue. wearing the Delicate String ring and using a Token of Spite D:.

1. Why are there 10 healing items? 11 if you include the DLC. Seems like an overkill.
3. Why can't you drop Titanite? I have so much Twinkling Titanite that I will likely not use. Seems weird not to be able to drop em.

Don't feel bad unless you also summon phantoms for your ganksquad. And even then, if you get a video/webm for us to giggle at, you shouldn't feel bad.

1. Got to be able to heal when out of Estus. Otherwise it would be too hard. Remember how DkS1 only had 3 healing items? How it was absolutely impossible? Yeah.
2&3. Helping out other phantoms finish their gear and covenants early and without farming, you crazy? That would break the delicate balance that Fromsoft has honed to perfection!

The healing items are overkill like you said, and the drop-restrictions are ambiguous and annoying.

v1perz53

There are too many healing items. Honestly, they would have been just fine with Estus and the three types of Lifegems. No idea about #2, but for #3 you can sell Titanite to Gavlan for souls. Might be able to sell covenant items too. Can't drop em for other players I guess, maybe to prevent early super twinkage if you dropped like 15 twinkling. You could drop a fully upgraded weapon but no guarantee they could use it.

I'm currently stuck at lost bastille and decided to go to Heide instead, really beautiful!

Also anyone notice the similarities between the majula theme and the gwyn theme from dark souls 1?
I think it's pretty fitting to the overall world somehow, I also really like the Emerald Herald, but why the hell didn't they let her speak while I level up like with the Maiden in Black? I loved hearing those lines over and over again!

ElFly

The only person who really needs to remain is Velka, because she is the best.

I wished the level design would actually feel like it was a real place that had people at some point or had function other than "deathtrap" (unless the point is to be a death trap like Sens). They mostly feel illogical and I hate to use the word but I cant find a better one, but they feel gamey. Like why is there a random guillotine in a hallway in Iron Keep? I think part of it is because areas in Dark Souls arent suppose to really be that open. Its very hard to get lost. They try hard not to go open world, even for individual areas. But to be fair this is the case with nearly all games. It just sticks out in Dark Souls because the games mostly take place "after the end" and its obvious the areas make no sense when you try to think back to how they were before things fell apart.

I don't think that guillotine is in a hallway. It's more of a "secret" passage, that has just been opened with the years. It even looks a little like a duct, and IIRC leads to the cage-with-spikes-and-fire room, so it kind of not that out of place that there's a guillotine there.

I believe that corridor was not used regularly, as it leads inside Eygil's idol, on top of a building's ceiling. Maybe to keep prisoners inside and throw them into the fires or something.

v1perz53

I don't think that guillotine is in a hallway. It's more of a "secret" passage, that has just been opened with the years. It even looks a little like a duct, and IIRC leads to the cage-with-spikes-and-fire room, so it kind of not that out of place that there's a guillotine there.

I believe that corridor was not used regularly, as it leads inside Eygil's idol, on top of a building's ceiling. Maybe to keep prisoners inside and throw them into the fires or something.

I guess, but you go down a pretty regular looking staircase to get there. And there is no clear other place that the staircase would lead to. Plus, the cage-with-fire room doesn't make the guillotine more reasonable, it is just another thing that seems out of place. All it would've taken was some rubble on those stairs preventing you from going towards an obvious "door" and a break in the wall leading to the guillotine hallway, then I would be totally on board with it being a side duct kind of thing. But the way it was designed, this is the only path that way, so why is it full of traps? But it is the small details like this that were absent from DkS 2 that existed in DkS 1 that made the world feel more real and alive. DkS 1 was a world that was designed that you happened to play a game in, DkS 2 was a world designed for you to play a game in. Subtle differences but noticeable when you look.

Dyno

Story Time:

I've been stuck in the Iron Passage longer than any other place in the game. I spent a while trying to help people beat the Blue Smelter but no one could do it. I was thinking that it was me. I could stay alive but I wasn't drawing the aggro enough to give the player a break, even if I was casting Warmth. How was I going to manage my own boss?

Finally there was a guy who summoned only me and together we beat Smelter Blue. I was alive again at least. At the start of the level there was a golden sign so I summoned this cool looking dude and no one else, hoping for a repeat. I pointed towards the side route and started to run. This sunbro wasn't getting the message. He wanted to fight. We got through the first part of the gauntlet and I gave him the No-No-No animation and pointed again. Second part of the gauntlet he half-fought/half-ran and got hurt. In the third and final section he stuck around and got wasted. What a scrub!

I'm at the boss door. I've got big arrows and lightning balls coming in the hallway at me. The giant is starting to make its way to me. I decide to feather it back to the bonfire, maybe I'll pick up the sunbro again. It won't work. Oh great! I'm about to be invaded in a narrow hallways with monsters shooting into it. Oh well, I decide to entire the gate and at least get some practice.

I'm a sorceror with physical stats no higher than 30 with a dark infused Llewellyn Shield and a Fire infused Melu Scimitar. I'm stacking pyromancies because they at least do a bit more damage than sorceries. Cut to the chase: I plink-plink-plink that Smelter until he was DEFEATED. It took a solid twenty minutes. I drank all my Estus and gobbled another twelve life gems. He died and I had a quarter health left. My hands felt like the Claws of Arthritis.

Souls games, am I right? Thanks for reading.

ElFly

I guess, but you go down a pretty regular looking staircase to get there. And there is no clear other place that the staircase would lead to. Plus, the cage-with-fire room doesn't make the guillotine more reasonable, it is just another thing that seems out of place. All it would've taken was some rubble on those stairs preventing you from going towards an obvious "door" and a break in the wall leading to the guillotine hallway, then I would be totally on board with it being a side duct kind of thing. But the way it was designed, this is the only path that way, so why is it full of traps? But it is the small details like this that were absent from DkS 2 that existed in DkS 1 that made the world feel more real and alive. DkS 1 was a world that was designed that you happened to play a game in, DkS 2 was a world designed for you to play a game in. Subtle differences but noticeable when you look.

Ahem Sen's Fortress *cough* *cough*

v1perz53

Ahem Sen's Fortress *cough* *cough*

Yes but Sen's fortress was specifically designed to be a death trap to all those who entered. That was it's entire purpose, to serve as a means to keep the unworthy out of Anor Londo, the city of the goods. Every trap is there to test people to prove their worth. Iron Keep was just a place where the Iron King lived that had a volcano erupt under it. There is no reason why when it was built it would have had traps and spike cages. It was a forge, so the lava traps and to a lesser extent the flame heads make sense, but the guillotines and spike cages? Not so much.

Top Bottom