• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Answers:
  • You should raise ADP till you get 110 agility it will give you more I frames so you don't get hit during rolls. Or you could use a shield as long as you're careful about being guard broken.
  • Infusions in this game still have normal scaling but it is reduced compared to an un infusued weapon.
  • DEX is a waste if you're not going quality or pure DEX STR has better returns for investment.

110 Agility gives you the same amount of iframes as 105, so don't go there unless you're planning on going full hog for max Agility.
Thats fine. Made the level interesting. You had to think about how you wanted to go down.

Woulda been fine if there weren't those snipers machinegunning me off of those ledges all the time..

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm pretty sure what you enter are the mines... I mean the whole area is a dig site.

Then the spider-infested cave is probably the deepest point (where they found the long dead dragon).

I mean go into tunnels fills with crystals and shit. Like a more fabulous stonefang.

Ruuppa

Which has its benefits to do so, but anywhere between 95-110 is fine really.

Oh yeah, definitely. Depends slightly on your playstyle and whether you use a shield or not, but that range is good.

But you'd need 7 extra Adp, or 21 Atn, to get from 105 to 110 Agi for no iframe gain(although it probably speeds up item use, maybe?). Minmaxing, yay!

Oh yeah, definitely. Depends slightly on your playstyle and whether you use a shield or not, but that range is good.

But you'd need 7 extra Adp, or 21 Atn, to get from 105 to 110 Agi for no iframe gain(although it probably speeds up item use, maybe?). Minmaxing, yay!

Attunement bro, ninja wizards

Good lord I hate those guys, with their Havelminmax armors and huge rolls and buffs! I wish heavy armor carried a castspeed or iframe penalty or something.

It carries a heavy stamina penalty if you're above 50%, also you don't roll as far. I think you also get a little bit less i-frames.

v1perz53

Should I level up ADP? I feel like everyone keeps hitting right through my rolls, to the point where blocking is a million times more effective, which is sad, because it's such a different and more boring style of play :(

I'm also kind of confused how the infusions work, If I have a fire weapon does it still have normal scaling? Because it seems the overall attack rating doesn't really go up all that much. I hit the soft cap on END and VIT and VGR. Do I go for Strength and DEX next on a melee build?
Man I don't know how to feel about all this. Seems like Dark and Demons were much easier in that regard :/

I know people have already covered it, but I absolutely cannot play a character without adaptability anymore. Agi to 100-105 is my absolute first priority now, the difference it makes for your rolls is hard to play without.

Attunement gives some agility also, so if you are playing a caster you don't need to level Adaptability as much (17 Adp and 50 Atn gives the same agi as 32 straight Adp), but I personally always want at least 105 agi in the end.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, undead wharf is kinda crap too. Seeing that place was really weird, gave a super theme park feel to the game. Has a nice mechanic with the pharros lighthouse, but that's about it.
Couldn't disagree more. No Man's Wharf is one of my favourite Souls area ever. The atmosphere and level design are absolutely wonderful. I remember the first time I explored it, I really took my time, exploring every nook and cranny, and was always delighted to find some hidden loot behind a secret wall or something, or going "oohhh" when I rang the bell and saw the huge ship coming into view. The dark creatures scared me, so I'd kite them from the safety of the light with either arrows or, when I ran out (because it was so early in the game I didn't have a huge stock then), throwing daggers and firebombs. I had few lifegems, but the HP regen ring actually helped me tons there because I was exploring so slowly so I had time to regain any lost HP from the battles. I cleared the whole place, and the boss, in one single try on my first playthrough, and never felt more badass. :)

Except the inability to backtrack back up without warping.
Yeah, I really hate that about Tseldora. The Gutter also has this problem.

Don't forget Lost Bastille. I thought that was so wonderfully designed and intricate. I love when Souls games pop you out somewhere familiar when you're just finishing an area that you had no idea even connected to the place you were familiar with.
Yeah, Lost Bastille is one of my favourite levels too, along with No Man's Wharf. For my first playthrough I spent so much time there, just exploring everything and trying to connect all the shortcuts and stuff. I remember finding Sinner's Rise before the Sentinels (I used the one Pharros Lockstone I had found in Majula on the elevator shortcut), but the big fog past the watery tunnel gave me a big "NOPE" feel and I retreated back into the Bastille, haha.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Couldn't disagree more. No Man's Wharf is one of my favourite Souls area ever. The atmosphere and level design are absolutely wonderful. I remember the first time I explored it, I really took my time, exploring every nook and cranny, and was always delighted to find some hidden loot behind a secret wall or something, or going "oohhh" when I rang the bell and saw the huge ship coming into view. The dark creatures scared me, so I'd kite them from the safety of the light with either arrows or, when I ran out (because it was so early in the game I didn't have a huge stock then), throwing daggers and firebombs. I had few lifegems, but the HP regen ring actually helped me tons there because I was exploring so slowly so I had time to regain any lost HP from the battles. I cleared the whole place, and the boss, in one single try on my first playthrough, and never felt more badass. :)

Yeah, I really hate that about Tseldora. The Gutter also has this problem.

Yeah, Lost Bastille is one of my favourite levels too, along with No Man's Wharf. For my first playthrough I spent so much time there, just exploring everything and trying to connect all the shortcuts and stuff. I remember finding Sinner's Rise before the Sentinels (I used the one Pharros Lockstone I had found in Majula on the elevator shortcut), but the big fog past the watery tunnel gave me a big "NOPE" feel and I retreated back into the Bastille, haha.

I'm pretty sure you can easily get back to the upper bonfire in the gutter from anywhere in it.

And I agree that the wharf feels like a theme park. doesnt feel big enough to be a pirate's cove. It has like one dock.

Ruuppa

I'm pretty sure you can easily get back to the upper bonfire in the gutter from anywhere in it.

You *can*, but the only two spots where you could conceivable get back are very difficult running jumps. Like from the platform two ladders up from where you get the Dark Pyromancy Flame, and the platfrom where there is a torch Hollow after a Ratbeast and a ladder.

I know people have already covered it, but I absolutely cannot play a character without adaptability anymore. Agi to 100-105 is my absolute first priority now, the difference it makes for your rolls is hard to play without.
I always start with an Explorer for that reason. You can jig about with stats any way you like, even more so in DS2, but the stat I need from the get-go is agility, I learned that early on. The animation, movement and roll is still not DS1 level, but it needs all the help it can get and Explorer starts with the highest ADP so that's for me.

You *can*, but the only two spots where you could conceivable get back are very difficult running jumps. Like from the platform two ladders up from where you get the Dark Pyromancy Flame, and the platfrom where there is a torch Hollow after a Ratbeast and a ladder.
I'd like to give this a go on my next run, I didn't know you could get back from the second bonfire. That's a big criticism for me, that there are so many parts of DS2 where you need to bone/feather out - I *hate* that and regard it very, very poor level design.

v1perz53

Did they ever fix Lightning Spear getting massively nerfed in damage?

Anecdotal, but I think they did balance back up Lightning Spear damage slightly. My Faith build is currently NG+, and I am one shotting enemies with GLS that I remember having to use two on right after the nerf to amount of casts (as in, one GLS would leave the enemies at Iron Keep at like 5% HP remaining, and now it kills them outright). Don't know exactly how much of an increase, and it could be quite a small one. Not sure it really should be doing any more damage than it is currently, on NG+ my 4 sunlight spears did more than half of Nashandra's HP.

Ruuppa

I'd like to give this a go on my next run, I didn't know you could get back from the second bonfire. That's a big criticism for me, that there are so many parts of DS2 where you need to bone/feather out - I *hate* that and regard it very, very poor level design.

I'm pretty sure it's totally impossible to backtrack if you go all the way to the second bonfire. You can do the jump HK-47 talked about if you don't jump down from after the area after the last bridge, but after going down you're pretty much stuck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I only remember Tseldora being like that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm pretty sure it's totally impossible to backtrack if you go all the way to the second bonfire. You can do the jump HK-47 talked about if you don't jump down from after the area after the last bridge, but after going down you're pretty much stuck.

Yeah I was forgetting that the last area has that drop onto the are with the second bonfire. I just booted up and played through to comfirm.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I guess Ill make the King's Ultra Greatsword and get the defender's sheild for my general use shield.

There's a Blacksmith in Lost Bastile who can add and remove infusions. Aromatic Ooze works well on them, if you don't have any infusion stones.
The insane guy? He's not really talking to me...

Anyway thanks gaf, complaining always works :D they went down but now I have no clue what to do with this key.

v1perz53

Hm don't have the faith and fire infusion. Can I change it to lightning or remove it somewhere?

I don't think you need to go so far as to change or remove your infusion because getting a new fire infusion stone isn't super easy, but you can if you want to. Also infusions don't really work well if you don't have the stats to support them (for fire, you want as much int+faith as possible, for lightning you want as much faith as possible, and for dark you want int/faith as high as possible) so if your int+faith right now isn't at least like 40 your fire infusion is probably worse than no infusion.

But anyway, another useful fact about gargoyles is when each individual one gets low on HP he will almost exclusively stay at range and breathe fire at you, so you might find it easier to get two of the last three low and fight the third far from them as the other two try and fail to hit you with fire.

Edit: looks like you got em, congrats!

Lot of Ivory King Info and new screens on Polygon

A lot of crazy stuff.

Also a screen shot shows that kung fu hadouken move. Looks like that it's confirmed we are getting that moveset.

Also gamespot Preview

Polygon? Why would you do this? DON'T YOU LOVE US?! Anyways, I'm trying to avoid anything relating to the last DLC. While I am hyped as hell to see what it has to offer, I rather experience it and see it when I first start playing. I feel that it makes the experience so much better.

Zocano

I was like "hey, maybe I'll try to get summoned as a phantom for the Mirror Knight!"

and then instantly get WoG'd as I get in.

I remember why I don't bother with PVP in this series.

edit: Hopefully there won't be any spells at all in Bloodborne because spells have done nothing good for the series except for cheesing.

edit edit: That is a hyperbole but I spells really don't do much for me and are just annoying to deal with. The series excels at sword/board combat and nothing else.

edit edit edit: PVP has never been good in this series.

Top Bottom