• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Is there any significance to the monument near the shrine of amana final bonafire? There is a girl over there praying. When I try to pray by pressing x, nothing happens.

Just did Royal Rat Authority for the first time

Took me like 15-17 tries (mostly within the first 20 seconds as I was figuring out his move set) but I got him. Pretty obvious why the bonfire was right there tho, lol....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Before I waste time farming them - has anyone ever seen a Blacksteel Katana drop off the Allone Knights in the the Memory of the Old Iron King? Completely cleared out Iron Keep and Drangleic Castle without a single drop but would still like another so I can dual wield
Yep, got some drops, as well as their armour.

Also I got two Berserker blade drops on the NPC invaders Prowlers... but not on the right character. xD

v1perz53

I'm wondering. Has anyone ever had it where they drank and estus, but died after? Like health started coming back yet they still died.

Plenty of times. Most notably on dual pursuers in NG+, because they have so little downtime. I have even had on this fight a few times where I double chugged and was killed in between health starting to regen and finishing regenning, a few times even as late as over a full second after drinking it.

I'm wondering. Has anyone ever had it where they drank and estus, but died after? Like health started coming back yet they still died.

Estus healing is not instant like DS1 , it slowly restoring your heal unless you double drink.

Before I waste time farming them - has anyone ever seen a Blacksteel Katana drop off the Allone Knights in the the Memory of the Old Iron King? Completely cleared out Iron Keep and Drangleic Castle without a single drop but would still like another so I can dual wield

It can drop, yes, but dunno if the enemies despawn in that memory

Beat Alonne Knight last night. He was a pretty cool boss fight, but much easier than Fume Knight (for me at least).

Also, (DLC spoiler)
Vendrick's voice actor is awesome.
The Souls games always have such amazing voice acting.

Beat Alonne Knight last night. He was a pretty cool boss fight, but much easier than Fume Knight (for me at least).

Also, (DLC spoiler)

I praise their voice actors because they can voice multiple characters in the same game and you dont even notice is the same person.

v1perz53

Also, (DLC spoiler)

I love how they went the extra mile to have Solaire and Seigmeyer sound like they were talking through a tin can, since that is essentially what they were wearing on their heads.

I love how they went the extra mile to have Solaire and Seigmeyer sound like they were talking through a tin can, since that is essentially what they were wearing on their heads.

Yeah, that is pretty great! And it doesn't just sound like a cheap effect, either.

I think my favorite Dark Souls voice actor was the Crestfallen Merchant's (the guy at the top of Sen's Fortress).

"But go along if you wish. If only to deepen your despair."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yy2K00oiac

"One, two, through, four, fouuur-fouurrrr-fouuuuive..."

Great example of the hollowing process.

I don't mean you drank an estus and got hit and died. I mean you had something like a poison effect, you drank estus but died while your health regened.
E46F645A782486F54DEB66DB0C2C233D03B14ECB
that happened to me a while back, but I just remember it. I'm in my death animation(as you can see I'm slightly tilting over and my estus is greyed) yet I have health heh.

v1perz53

I don't mean you drank an estus and got hit and died. I mean you had something like a poison effect, you drank estus but died while your health regened. that happened to me a while back, but I just remember it. I'm in my death animation(as you can see I'm slightly tilting over and my estus is greyed) yet I have health heh.

Ahh I see, yea I've had that happen as well. Recently happened when getting to the repair tree but I got poisoned on the way there, used an Estus and died basically right as the animation finished, so as my body melted away I got some health back but still died. Also happened in the fire areas in Iron Keep when trying to get to some items there.

strafer

Also, (DLC spoiler)

Yep, the voice acting is amazing.

And a bit depressing. Especially that one guy in Majula who says I should give up :p

Also, (DLC spoiler)

I love the way they laugh more. DaS1 had such creepy laughs, I would listen to NPCs over and over again just to hear their laugh :p.

Ahh I see, yea I've had that happen as well. Recently happened when getting to the repair tree but I got poisoned on the way there, used an Estus and died basically right as the animation finished, so as my body melted away I got some health back but still died. Also happened in the fire areas in Iron Keep when trying to get to some items there.

I hate getting to those items. For the longest time I was like "there has to be a ring that lets us get that easy, From is not going to be assholes, right? Right?! Little did I know how wrong I was.

Good old Crestfallen bro.

"His spirit is already broken. Perhaps he is a foreshadowing of your own future?"

I like this crestfallen attitude more. The other was so condescending and an ass. This one.."may you find peace on your journey..." "I'll always be here, watching over you." What a bro. Same voice actor though which is neat.

I hate getting to those items. For the longest time I was like "there has to be a ring that lets us get that easy, From is not going to be assholes, right? Right?! Little did I know how wrong I was.

That's the problem, it was a design shift. In previous cases, you'd find a set that had, say, high poison resistance, or a lever that would remove the threat. The problem would be solved through proper exploration.

In DS2, they just went "lol minmax".

I love the way they laugh more. DaS1 had such creepy laughs, I would listen to NPCs over and over again just to hear their laugh :p.

Yeah, the laughs are perfect. Oswald has my all time favorite laugh.

"It is only human to commit a sin...keh heh heh heh!"

The contrast between his calm demeanor and then that demonic laughter is so good.

I like this crestfallen attitude more. The other was so condescending and an ass. This one.."may you find peace on your journey..." "I'll always be here, watching over you." What a bro. Same voice actor though which is neat.

Yeah, I agree.

I think the only voice actor I didn't like too much in DaS1 was Frampt/Kaathe's. He was a good voice actor, but it just didn't seem to quite fit the character for me. He did a good job voicing Straid in DaS2, though. (That was the same guy, right?) "Feeble cursed one!"

Yeah, the laughs are perfect. Oswald has my all time favorite laugh.

"It is only human to commit a sin...keh heh heh heh!"

The contrast between his calm demeanor and then that demonic laughter is so good.

Yeah, I agree.

I think the only voice actor I didn't like too much in DaS1 was Frampt/Kaathe's. He was a good voice actor, but it just didn't seem to quite fit the character for me. He did a good job voicing Straid in DaS2, though. (That was the same guy, right?) "Feeble cursed one!"

Yeah, Straid is voiced by the same voice actor as Frampt. I didn't notice it as first, but everyone that met Straid was like "FRAMPT IS THAT YOU?!".

That's the problem, it was a design shift. In previous cases, you'd find a set that had, say, high poison resistance, or a lever that would remove the threat. The problem would be solved through proper exploration.

In DS2, they just went "lol minmax".

Yeah true. That area you just need to roll in those Minotaur faced vases. You take very, very minimal fire damage when you soak yourself with the liquid inside. So that's one way. also using a Pharros Lockstone makes those contraptions pump out the same liquid.

Mistel

Banned
I think the only voice actor I didn't like too much in DaS1 was Frampt/Kaathe's. He was a good voice actor, but it just didn't seem to quite fit the character for me.
I think they suited the primordial serpents more so Kaathe though. Lautrec's voice actor really suited his character though perfectly if I can be so bold.

v1perz53

Yeah true. That area you just need to roll in those Minotaur faced vases. You take very, very minimal fire damage when you soak yourself with the liquid inside. So that's one way. also using a Pharros Lockstone makes those contraptions pump out the same liquid.

Eh, problem is though the vases weren't enough. Like, even when soaked in water if you didn't wear any other fire resist gear or rings or use flash sweat/orange bur, you would still die while opening a chest. I really wish that being soaked in water was enough to let you get the items by itself.

Eh, problem is though the vases weren't enough. Like, even when soaked in water if you didn't wear any other fire resist gear or rings or use flash sweat/orange bur, you would still die while opening a chest. I really wish that being soaked in water was enough to let you get the items by itself.

Really? That's super lame. What if you're VIT isn't very high because you relay on light armour, and you have 0 attunment slots? Seems like they made it so you HAVE to build a certain way. How about consuming the Small Orange Burr, does that help?

Guevara

Really? That's super lame. What if you're VIT isn't very high because you relay on light armour, and you have 0 attunment slots? Seems like they made it so you HAVE to build a certain way. How about consuming the Small Orange Burr, does that help?

Fire damage was handled rather poorly. If I recall correct, small orange burr/water/flash sweat don't even stack.

First time through I left all the items figuring I'd get a Charred Orange Ring or something.

v1perz53

Small orange burr has the exact same effect as flash sweat and they don't stack, so that is nice for people with no attunement at least. You can kind of get by with being wet and using an orange burr, but it is still frustrating, especially given the long exaggerated chest opening animation in DkS 2. Another option to offset is to take a tick of damage and back out, then use a lifegem and it will continue to heal you as you are taking damage.

I just thought it was a really lame way to gate items, even using full alonne items with pharos mask (makes you wet) and fire resist ring +3 from DLC with flash sweat, the lava still doesn't do absolutely no damage. Poorly designed area, should've been a lever to dump water on the rocks and make them not do damage anymore or something.

Zocano

Y'all are terrible.

Discussing voice actors and leaving out the one and only god:

Marvelous Motherfuckin' Chester.

He's also the one who voices Vendrick. Dude has got some range.

Small orange burr has the exact same effect as flash sweat and they don't stack, so that is nice for people with no attunement at least. You can kind of get by with being wet and using an orange burr, but it is still frustrating, especially given the long exaggerated chest opening animation in DkS 2. Another option to offset is to take a tick of damage and back out, then use a lifegem and it will continue to heal you as you are taking damage.

I just thought it was a really lame way to gate items, even using full alonne items with pharos mask (makes you wet) and fire resist ring +3 from DLC with flash sweat, the lava still doesn't do absolutely no damage. Poorly designed area, should've been a lever to dump water on the rocks and make them not do damage anymore or something.

Ideally, the Pharros Contraption at the top of the tower, the one that creates the small healing lake near those 3 archers, would allow you to take that spell without stacking fireresist.

Alas.

Also, what the heck was the point of the pharros contraption in the earthen peak that created the little poison lake?

Y'all are terrible.

I had no idea! That's awesome.

Marvelous Chester is indeed Marvelous. Number one reason to be hyped for Bloodborne? The fact that it's basically Marvelous Chester: The Game.

Fire damage was handled rather poorly. If I recall correct, small orange burr/water/flash sweat don't even stack.

First time through I left all the items figuring I'd get a Charred Orange Ring or something.

Yup I figured I'd get a ring too. I spent a long time searching every area of Iron Keep and Earthen(I called it Everest heh) Peak thinking I missed it. I eventually caved and googled it, wish I had done that sooner would have save a buttload of time.

Y'all are terrible.

Are they? I liked Marvelous Chester, but I didn't realize they were voiced by the same voice actor. Chester was pretty awesome though, would be nice to learn more of his backstory rather than just he got pulled back too.

Ideally, the Pharros Contraption at the top of the tower, the one that creates the small healing lake near those 3 archers, would allow you to take that spell without stacking fireresist.

Alas.

Also, what the heck was the point of the pharros contraption in the earthen peak that created the little poison lake?

If you burn the windmill before using it, it will instead create a pool of healing water that quickly heals you back up.

Top Bottom