• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

It is the longest of the straight swords, that's what makes it much more useful. It's one of the more practical straight swords. Sun sword ain't really all its cracked up to be really.

For a quality build with 40/40, Sun Sword +10 is amazing. The damage is just lovely.
All the bosses they've reused have been great so bring it on :)
My body is ready for Vendrick 2.0

Flexile Sentry with three heads instead of two. Six green Ruin Sentinels in one battle. Mytha with her head attached. A Lightning elemental Nashandra.

I should be a boss designer.

Zocano

Twin Dragonriders?

Oh I thought you meant in the DLCs.

Yah, of all the bosses in the game, the only one that really actually bothers me is Twin Dragonriders.

I would have expected them to just be regular enemies towards the end but wasting a boss slot for a duo battle is just pretty bad.

At least they didn't use them a third time |:

I'm looking at you Asylum Demon

ilium

postman just knocked on my door...

praiseitg1dgi.jpg

u jelly gaf? :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Puzzle bosses probably arent the best to reuse. They should make the dual sanctuary guardians a real boss, because that was the hardest fight in Dark Souls.

Zocano

Well, I'd say a Manus fragment will be a boss but we know that's not always the case.

Honestly, Vendrick 2.0 is what I think is most likely.

We really don't know anything about the Ivory Crown DLC.

We had a lengthy intro to Sunken Crown and could easily guess what Iron Crown contained. But we have 0 information on Ivory. People have tied the Mastodons to them, I believe? But even still, that tells us almost nothing. Could be anything, really.

Actually now that I think about it... Manus 2.0 is probably one.

Mistel

Banned
For a quality build with 40/40, Sun Sword +10 is amazing. The damage is just lovely.
Going by AR it's the joint third best of the straight swords at 40/40. The first is red rust with 359 second is vargarian with 355 and the other third drake keeper with 350.

Ruuppa

Going by AR it's the joint third best of the straight swords at 40/40. The first is red rust with 359 second is vargarian with 355 and the other third drake keeper with 350.

Doesn't Red Rust have kind of a weird moveset for a straight sword though? I remember it being odd somehow. Never tried Varangian, I guess I got to now. Does it share it's moveset with broadsword?

It's a shame that scaling matters so little, where an A/A scaling weapon can barely match a C/C with 70 extra base damage on a 40/40 Quality build.

Edit: Only after going 50/50 does the Sun Sword begin outpacing the others, and Red Rust still has a couple of AR over it. Hrm.

Mistel

Banned
Doesn't Red Rust have kind of a weird moveset for a straight sword though? I remember it being odd somehow. Never tried Varangian, I guess I got to now. Does it share it's moveset with broadsword?
Vargarian is the same moveset as the broad. Red rust is the axe moveset.

Puzzle bosses probably arent the best to reuse. They should make the dual sanctuary guardians a real boss, because that was the hardest fight in Dark Souls.

I'm sick of dual bosses or bosses with added mobs...generally seems like an easy way to make a boss harder without much effort on their moveset or AI.

v1perz53

I'm sick of dual bosses or bosses with added mobs...generally seems like an easy way to make a boss harder without much effort on their moveset or AI.

My opinion has always been in a Souls game, throw two enemies/bosses at me at once and it is harder but I can handle it. Throw three or more and it becomes a clusterfuck where I just run around like a headless chicken, because the game mechanics start to fall apart with more enemies. Unless you make bosses and arenas that actively work with the multiple enemy idea, like Skeleton Kings. I don't think anyone felt out of control during that fight.

Yup. The locking on system doesn't work well with mobs. Its so annoying they added so many levels where multiple enemies gank you in straight hallways and mob bosses. That's one of the worst gaming design I came across, not only in souls series but in whole gaming altogether.

To be fair, From's reason to reuse a boss is somewhat justifiable, lore wise. Check out This video by VaatiVidya, he talks about it.

I doubt we'd have Vendrick 2.0
since we're collection crowns of past kings. He wants us to succeed, maybe we'll fight him in his memory once we have all three ;o.

ElFly

My opinion has always been in a Souls game, throw two enemies/bosses at me at once and it is harder but I can handle it. Throw three or more and it becomes a clusterfuck where I just run around like a headless chicken, because the game mechanics start to fall apart with more enemies. Unless you make bosses and arenas that actively work with the multiple enemy idea, like Skeleton Kings. I don't think anyone felt out of control during that fight.

On the other hand, one of the most enjoyables fights was helping people with NG+ Lost Sinner, which becomes a super clusterfuck super easy. So many hilarious deaths. Loved it.

Yup. The locking on system doesn't work well with mobs. Its so annoying they added so many levels where multiple enemies gank you in straight hallways and mob bosses. That's one of the worst gaming design I came across, not only in souls series but in whole gaming altogether.

Eeeeeh git gud. I used a Large Mace my first playthrough and the only part that really seemed overwhelmingly unfair where the axe lions in the forest, because they have so much poise.

Eventually you just learn to run around, kill one enemy at a time and just trigger enough enemies as you can handle.

Then again, I went through DS1 with the agression mod (not my video but still https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EI0sX29AVs) and it makes the game fresh and enjoyable again, so DS2 gang fighting was welcome.

To be fair, From's reason to reuse a boss is somewhat justifiable, lore wise. Check out This video by VaatiVidya, he talks about it.

I doubt we'd have Vendrick 2.0
since we're collection crowns of past kings. He wants us to succeed, maybe we'll fight him in his memory once we have all three ;o.

Someone earlier suggested a second Manus fight.

In another forum someone suggested the worst possible reused fight apart from bed of chaos. Four Kings (or maybe Three Kings).

ilium

after 250h playtime i finally decided to try out katanas. went for the uchigatana, upgraded it and infused with magic. what can i say? simply beatiful.
always loved the greatsword moveset but this is even better. crystal magic weapon makes it look silly tho. strong magic weapon is good enough for me i guess.

i was also trying out hexes yesterday because i have plenty soul vesseln. but i dunno... sorcery just seems more versantile all around. having 80 dark orbs was kinda cool tho.
and i didn't like that i had to use the black witch staff in order to use all hexes. would rather use the sunset staff for the higher damage. it also casts sorcery which is cool.
but there don't seem to be many good dark scaling weapons as far as i could tell. fume sword was rather weak, crypt blacksword is an UGS so meh... i wonder why there is no equivalent to watcher's/defender's for hex.

can someone sell me on hex or should i just stick to sorcery?

Imagine a room with moving platforms that can drop you into a death hitbox. A health bar appears when you enter the fog gate and with each second, the gravity boss loses HP. Black phantom Alonne captains appear on NG+, and a blue version of the boss appears in the next DLC.

Someone earlier suggested a second Manus fight.

In another forum someone suggested the worst possible reused fight apart from bed of chaos. Four Kings (or maybe Three Kings).

I kinda liked Four Kings. They were somewhat honourble, if you were attacking one of the kings, the others left you alone. If you went for a few seconds without dealing damage to one of them, then they all attack you D:

ElFly

I kinda liked Four Kings. They were somewhat honourble, if you were attacking one of the kings, the others left you alone. If you went for a few seconds without dealing damage to one of them, then they all attack you D:

Kind of ambivalent about them.

It's the one fight where the preparation is 99% of the fight and the execution is to just walk to the boss and dish out attacks. If you are ill prepared, it is not going to work.

Good thing is that in my first playthrough I defeated Gwyn by using the same setup as with FK. Before, you know, I learned to parry with a minimum consistency.

Mistel

Banned
after 250h playtime i finally decided to try out katanas. went for the uchigatana, upgraded it and infused with magic. what can i say? simply beatiful.
always loved the greatsword moveset but this is even better. crystal magic weapon makes it look silly tho. strong magic weapon is good enough for me i guess.

i was also trying out hexes yesterday because i have plenty soul vesseln. but i dunno... sorcery just seems more versantile all around. having 80 dark orbs was kinda cool tho.
and i didn't like that i had to use the black witch staff in order to use all hexes. would rather use the sunset staff for the higher damage. it also casts sorcery which is cool.
but there don't seem to be many good dark scaling weapons as far as i could tell. fume sword was rather weak, crypt blacksword is an UGS so meh... i wonder why there is no equivalent to watcher's/defender's for hex.

You really need something like 60/60 split with a dark infused weapon to make the most out of it. You can just use the sunset staff if you don't mind using the resonant stuff it's not a big issue really. There's several good dark weapons like the sacred charm hammer, roaring halberd, silverblack sickle etc.

ilium

You really need something like 60/60 split with a dark infused weapon to make the most out of it. You can just use the sunset staff if you don't mind using the resonant stuff it's not a big issue really. There's several good dark weapons like the sacred charm hammer, roaring halberd, silverblack sickle etc.

I had 60/60. Wanted to get 200 dark BNS but you need 99/99 for that D:
Not a fan of halberds tbh and chime hammer is too heavy for my build. Never tried the sickle, will check it out later. I think i'm gonna stick to sorcery for now and wait for the last DLC. I'm sure it'll add some more dark scaling weapons along with the dark clutch ring.

Oddly enough, while I hate most multiple enemy boss fights (besides gems like O&S), I don't mind getting ganked by tons of mobs outside of boss fights. I think those can be kind of fun. I don't have a good reason why I like one and not the other, though.

Ruuppa

Hexes have their uses, like having a hundred Dark Orbs, but it's still on par with Sorcery when it comes to basic spells. It's not as overpowered as it was a few patches ago.
Since you can get to max Flame bonus from bumping your Int, you can sub in any of the Pyromancies you pick up on a pure Sorcerer.

http://support.bandainamcogames.com...edbanned-from-using-the-dark-souls-ii-servers

***UPDATE***

It has come to our attention that some players may be receiving items/weapons/equipment from players that are hacking/modding and that the items dropped could be modified/hacked versions of a weapon/item/equipment that could potentially cause the Dark Souls 2 server team to flag your account as violating the EULA (it turns out that the Dark Souls II server team is not placing restrictions/limitations due to such hacked/modded items, but will be monitoring any accounts found in possession of such items more closely for any other further violations of the EULA). Our recommendation would be to avoid picking up any items that other players drop for you unless you know/trust the person dropping them (or to remove any such items from your inventory, or simply deleting the character if you are unable to remove/discard them by normal means). Please note that as long as the weapon/item is not picked up and added to your inventory it will not be flagged by the Dark Souls 2 server team as a violation of the EULA (since you have not accepted the item into your character's inventory) and the item should disappear over time (or by reaching another playthrough).

PS: Don't take candy from strangers...

BANDAI NAMCO Games America Customer Support Team

This shit makes my blood boil, how can they get away with this, their solution is to tell people to not engage in a normal mechanic of the game (picking up items), instead of saying that they will fix this issue and avoid banning people that do it by accident.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've read reports of people getting soft-banned on PC for backing up save files.

It wasn't for backing up save files per se, it was for back it up, playing, then replacing the current file with your backed up file. For example, say you back u your save game. Then you use like 20 red eye orbs. You then replace the file on your hard drive with the backed-up version and you now have 20 red eye orbs again. I guess they have your SM saved server side, and when they notice you are playing with a character who's SM is significantly different from what they have, you get soft banned. That's what I think anyways. It seems stupid that they ban you for doing that, since it's their own damn fault for not having cloud saves.

This shit makes my blood boil, how can they get away with this, their solution is to tell people to not engage in a normal mechanic of the game (picking up items), instead of saying that they will fix this issue and avoid banning people that do it by accident.

That's some bullshit victim blaming. Delete your character? Are you for serious? So their goddamn solution to someone cheating/hacking items, trading said items to an unaware innocent person is to delete their character they poured hours into or risk being banned. Great job, you have a worse enforcement team than Microsoft.

chunk3rvd

Sorry for the crappy phone pic but how do I get to these 2 items? Also, how do I activate the lift in the room below?

All I have left are Elena and Sinh so worried that I've missed a path somewhere. I've not been to the Cave of the Dead yet so if it's something I'll find along that path then let me know but don't tell me where! Thanks

Sorry for the crappy phone pic but how do I get to these 2 items? Also, how do I activate the lift in the room below?

All I have left are Elena and Sinh so worried that I've missed a path somewhere. I've not been to the Cave of the Dead yet so if it's something I'll find along that path then let me know but don't tell me where! Thanks

The one directly in front of you is by an elevator which you likely missed. The on to the left, if I remember correctly, is after the Gank Squad. I think.

dsp

I'm so bored. I think I've tried out every single type of build and weapon I can, yet I can't find anything better than the regular Mastodon Halberd. I keep going back to it even though I'm bored of it. It's wrecking everything in NG+++ and PvP, meanwhile all the swords are so weak, especially against bosses, and the big hammers swing too slow and drain too much stamina. The mace might be the only other really good weapon I've used. Anyone have some other weapon suggestions?

I wonder what will happen after finishing the DLC,
it would unlock a cutscene when your character finally discover the essence of souls ? I would trigger the emerald herald to become a dark soul
or maybe a simple dialogue with vendrick.

I'm so bored. I think I've tried out every single type of build and weapon I can, yet I can't find anything better than the regular Mastodon Halberd. I keep going back to it even though I'm bored of it. It's wrecking everything in NG+++ and PvP, meanwhile all the swords are so weak, especially against bosses, and the big hammers swing too slow and drain too much stamina. The mace might be the only other really good weapon I've used. Anyone have some other weapon suggestions?

I find Red Iron Twin Blade to be a really nice high DPS weapon, while the Kings Ultra Greatsword has very high durability and does high strike damage. You could also get the Santiers Spear, break it once and have a weapon that does move sets of various weapons; like halberds, twinblade, spear, etc.

dsp

I find Red Iron Twin Blade to be a really nice high DPS weapon, while the Kings Ultra Greatsword has very high durability and does high strike damage. You could also get the Santiers Spear, break it once and have a weapon that does move sets of various weapons; like halberds, twinblade, spear, etc.

Thanks. I haven't tried out that twin blade or the King's Ultra. I'm gonna go mess about with them.

I hope there's a new NPC in the next DLC besides
Vendrick
. That's probably been my main disappointment with the DLC so far. The NPCs in Artorias of the Abyss were amazing.

Chester, Gough, Ciaran == best NPCs.

Vendrick's
dialogue is pretty great, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ok so I got all the drakekeeper drops except the ultra greatsword and the great hammer. The dragon guys dont like me however. Only got the warpick, shield and one dragon scale. Bleh. I did get all the priestess items except the hood though.

How meaty/good is the dlc?

Ok so I got all the drakekeeper drops except the ultra greatsword and the great hammer. The dragon guys dont like me however. Only got the warpick, shield and one dragon scale. Bleh. I did get all the priestess items except the hood though.

8 to 10. dark souls 1 vibes

Zocano

First DLC is on par with Demon's Souls level design (that is, it's better than anything Dark Souls had).

Second DLC is on par with Sen's and Painted World.

Mistel

Banned

They don't like anyone that's why few people use their stuff. If you get to sword which looks like Quelaag's, it does damage through 100% block like 10~20% worth.

Yessss, finally beat Fume Knight! After god knows how many attempts. I didn't feel guilty summoning for Elana and Smelter 2.0 because I felt like they were unfair, unfun fights. But Fume Knight is definitely my favorite boss of Dark Souls 2, so I needed that satisfaction of having beat him alone. Feels good.

Up there with some of the best fights from Dark Souls 1, in my opinion.

Top Bottom