• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Bell Keeper has the best voice acting in II. Totally mad cap insane in a good way.

Oswald of Caim is the best in 1 and is probably one of my favorite minor npcs ever. I was sad the new pardonder was nowhere near him.

The Bell Keeper has the best voice acting in II. Totally mad cap insane in a good way.

Oswald of Caim is the best in 1 and is probably one of my favorite minor npcs ever. I was sad the new pardonder was nowhere near him.

What really bothers me is how far away and hidden he is. I couldn't find him on my own. That sucks for players that may accidentally make an NPC hostile. I guess it does punish the player more for making an NPC hostile. Plus if an NPC dies you can still summon the, so there's that.

What really bothers me is how far away and hidden he is. I couldn't find him on my own. That sucks for players that may accidentally make an NPC hostile. I guess it does punish the player more for making an NPC hostile. Plus if an NPC dies you can still summon the, so there's that.

The new pardoner is weird in most of the senses, he is nowhere as overzealous as Oswald, less shady, less natural about sins and acts as a murderers of drangelic priests.

And yeah he is pretty hidden and you can easily miss him

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm kind of sad the new sin covenant isnt Velka related. I'm also sad her rapier isnt in the game, it was pretty unique.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How the fuck is summoning Velstadt even remotely fair? And how come summoned Velstadt takes longer to kill than the real deal? :(

Also how come I've had like 4-5 hits left on the boss when I stupidly drink estus just as one of the fiery balls of doom are about to explode in my face?

Edit: Dark Souls 2 pardoner is a creepy fuck. Why are there a bunch of fading souls scattered around him? :(

How the fuck is summoning Velstadt even remotely fair? And how come summoned Velstadt takes longer to kill than the real deal? :(

Also how come I've had like 4-5 hits left on the boss when I stupidly drink estus just as one of the fiery balls of doom are about to explode in my face?

Edit: Dark Souls 2 pardoner is a creepy fuck. Why are there a bunch of fading souls scattered around him? :(

Thats the trick with the boss difficulty, kill summons, easy as pie.

The pardoner killed them before they could join the congregation down there also look at his inventory, he looted their bodies too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What are the best light axes in the game? I feel Souls really need to put the same variety into the light weapon class as they do with the great class stuff.

Also just helped some guy through dragon's sanctum. Showed them a bunch of secrets. He/she desummons before Elana. Later I'm sitting around the first sunken city bonfire with my small sign down (cause might as well get stones that could be dragon bones or twinklings right) and I get summoned but them after they had won. Gifts me cracked red eye orbs and effigies then send me back. Was pretty cool.

It isn't supposed to be fair, I think they want to encourage summoning. Which is weird because if you have two summons she is guaranteed to summon him. If you're solo there's just a high chance she will, I killed her once and she never summoned him.

They didn't have enough souls to seek forgiveness. O well.
Thats the trick with the boss difficulty, kill summons, easy as pie.

The pardoner killed them before they could join the congregation down there also look at his inventory, he looted their bodies too.

Is that the real reason? It would make sense I suppose. Looting their body seems very fishy though.

What are the best light axes in the game? I feel Souls really need to put the same variety into the light weapon class as they do with the great class stuff.

Also just helped some guy through dragon's sanctum. Showed them a bunch of secrets. He/she desummons before Elana. Later I'm sitting around the first sunken city bonfire with my small sign down (cause might as well get stones that could be dragon bones or twinklings right) and I get summoned but them after they had won. Gifts me cracked red eye orbs and effigies then send me back. Was pretty cool.
Desummoning you would still make her have higher defenses and health, wouldn't it? Guess he wanted more of a challenge. I might drop effigies for my hosts, I have 89 so far. I never use them, I always wear life protection ring, or get summomed to regain humanity.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ahh I see, yea I've had that happen as well. Recently happened when getting to the repair tree but I got poisoned on the way there, used an Estus and died basically right as the animation finished, so as my body melted away I got some health back but still died. Also happened in the fire areas in Iron Keep when trying to get to some items there.
I'm guessing that the poison did something like, say, -15 HP per sec, and it ticked into negative just as you drank, so you died but the HP refilling animation continued ever so briefly until the "You died" appeared. Maybe.

Small orange burr has the exact same effect as flash sweat
Nitpick: it's actually weaker than Flash Sweat. Tested against the Ancient Dragon's breath. Flash Sweat cut his damage in half, whereas the Small orange burr cut about a third, I'd estimate, based on my HP bar.
I just thought it was a really lame way to gate items, even using full alonne items with pharos mask (makes you wet) and fire resist ring +3 from DLC with flash sweat, the lava still doesn't do absolutely no damage. Poorly designed area, should've been a lever to dump water on the rocks and make them not do damage anymore or something.
Yeah I don't like it much, but when you stack enough fire defense, the lava barely damages you anymore and you have plenty of time to open the chest to spare, so I don't mind it that much anymore.

His voice is really, really deep too. Kinda creepy and manly-hot at the same time. >_>

I'm kind of sad the new sin covenant isnt Velka related. I'm also sad her rapier isnt in the game, it was pretty unique.
I would have assumed sin would still be Velka related. She is after all the only true deity we've heard of.
I think Gwyndolin is also a true God/Goddess or at least...was :/. Whoops.
Everyone else got their power and ascended to God status through a lord soul.

Zocano

So no thoughts on light axes? Poor axes.

I've been doing an axe-only run, actually.

My character is basically
Emoticon_rage.gif

But...

I dunno. They've never been super great. The best "axe" was always the Meat Cleaver and it's only good variant was in Demon's Souls. The small axes just feel too slow and their movesets are too short and they barely beat out straight swords in terms of damage.

regular Axes as a whole are too eeeeh. Great axes are okay but the good ones are basically just like halberds. Their usefulness is the range and moveset.

Mistel

Banned
What is a good great axe?

Also all future Souls game need to have the Puzzling Stone Sword.
Grym great axe 390 damage A STR scaling at max, faster greatsword moveset not got the sweet spot issue like some others. Stone great axe with 400 damage and A STR scaling and drakekeepers (got a bit of a sweet spot issue) greataxe 380 A/E scaling are the better three. Bandit is down by its scaling and lion is better for STR/DEX builds.

Puzzling stone sword relies more on its scaling to raise damage than the relatively low base damage itself.
The small axes just feel too slow and their movesets are too short and they barely beat out straight swords in terms of damage
With 40/40 stats the the infantry axe which is the lowest in terms of AR outclasses 2 straight swords in AR. Straight swords come nowhere near the stronger axes either gyrm axe has them all beat.
So no thoughts on light axes? Poor axes.
Forget about butchers a gyrm axe is what you want only 2 units heavier has higher base damage (380 vs 280) same A STR scaling, and a more preferable moveset of the pair. Bandit axe and butchers are the other ones you should look out for they're weaker than gyrm but might be more your style. Dragon slayer crescent axe is ideal for STR/FTH its moveset is worth checking out even if you're not.

Zocano

Yah I only skimmed over the wiki cause I couldn't get on Dark Souls 2 at the moment, but in terms of raw damage yah axes are stronger.

I just think most of the great axes in the game are really eh.

Either they're the short stumpy version or the really silly almost-halberd type. And neither are really that fun to use for me.

edit: Which is why I mention the Butcher's Knife because it fits neither of those types.

ElTopo

Banned
I've finally hit the big cap for VIT at 77 (or so) points. END is at 67 or so, STR is at 55, DEX is at 50, VGR is 50, Attunement is at 27 or so, Strength build.

Going to dump 4 million worth of souls soon and level up by about 11 or so points. What should I invest in? I don't think VIT is worth it because of my current equip load is at 48% with a Dragonrider shield and with some adjustments on the fly I could run a Heavy Equip set (Alone Knight Captain armor or even Havel's) and keep it in the 50-60% range or keep a medium armor build and go from 48% to 38% once I remove the shield.

There's a possibility of investing in Faith (which is at 10 right now, also Intelligence at 8) to get better damage with my Pyromancies and get more of them to work with. Forbidden Sun is awesome and if I can get more than one of them then great.

Or I could just dump it all into Strength to get the maximum amount of damage possible.

Edit: okay, I just looked up that I would need my Attunement at 43 in order to get 2 Forbidden Sun's, I assume this applies to the other Pyromancies, right?

Mistel

Banned
Either they're the short stumpy version or the really silly almost-halberd type. And neither are really that fun to use for me.

edit: Which is why I mention the Butcher's Knife because it fits neither of those types.
The great axes themselves are actually pretty effective the longer polearm ones less so due to sweet spots the stubby ones are generally better. You should be having a gander at greatswords, giant stone axe and ultras they seem more up your alley.

Zocano

The great axes themselves are actually pretty effective the longer polearm ones less so due to sweet spots the stubby ones are generally better. You should be having a gander at greatswords, giant stone axe and ultras they seem more up your alley.

Oh, I've been rolling with greatswords/UGS since Dark Souls 1 so I'm quite fond of them. Manserpent Greatsword was my go-to weapon in DS1.

I just keep mentioning Meat Cleaver because I loved it from Demon's, but most great axes in DS1 and 2 I just never really liked

I love the greatsword and UGS movesets and yah, it's mostly the sweet spot damage thing with the longer axes that bug me.

edit: I've been doing this axe-only build almost specifically to try and get some experience on the axes/greataxes though. It's been okay? Again, Butcher's Knife is the only one I really like but I'm trying not to use it because I rolled with it a ton on my other characters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Grym great axe 390 damage A STR scaling at max, faster greatsword moveset not got the sweet spot issue like some others. Stone great axe with 400 damage and A STR scaling and drakekeepers (got a bit of a sweet spot issue) greataxe 380 A/E scaling are the better three. Bandit is down by its scaling and lion is better for STR/DEX builds.

Puzzling stone sword relies more on its scaling to raise damage than the relatively low base damage itself.

With 40/40 stats the the infantry axe which is the lowest in terms of AR outclasses 2 straight swords in AR. Straight swords come nowhere near the stronger axes either gyrm axe has them all beat.

Forget about butchers a gyrm axe is what you want only 2 units heavier has higher base damage (380 vs 280) same A STR scaling, and a more preferable moveset of the pair. Bandit axe and butchers are the other ones you should look out for they're weaker than gyrm but might be more your style. Dragon slayer crescent axe is ideal for STR/FTH its moveset is worth checking out even if you're not.

I am a faith build so I guess I should upgrade the dragonslayer because im having a really fun time with the Bandit Axe.

Mistel

Banned
I love the greatsword and UGS movesets and yah, it's mostly the sweet spot damage thing with the longer axes that bug me.

edit: I've been doing this axe-only build almost specifically to try and get some experience on the axes/greataxes though. It's been okay? Again, Butcher's Knife is the only one I really like but I'm trying not to use it because I rolled with it a ton on my other characters.
Longer axes aren't really worth bothering other than drakekeeper really. Shorter ones are better choices. Gyrm axe and great axe are really what you should be trying. The gyrm axe is basically a great axe hybrid in a normal axe.
Going to dump 4 million worth of souls soon and level up by about 11 or so points. What should I invest in?

Edit: okay, I just looked up that I would need my Attunement at 43 in order to get 2 Forbidden Sun's, I assume this applies to the other Pyromancies, right?
No it does not it varies depending on the pyromancies.

Take those points out of DEX then you can have a whole lot more to work with then you can pump up ATT, INT, and FTH so you can gain bonus pyro damage along with casts. Then you can distribute the extra 11 into INT and FTH.

ElTopo

Banned
How many points should I have in DEX for a strength build? My primary concern is getting extra damage with my main weapons. I'd like to keep Power-stance Zweihander's as an option. I like the damage I have right now with my Forbidden Sun, but if I can manage to get a 2nd one available it would help a bit.

Also, how do you access that locked door in Aldia's Keep?

Mistel

Banned
How many points should I have in DEX for a strength build? My primary concern is getting extra damage with my main weapons. I'd like to keep Power-stance Zweihander's as an option. I like the damage I have right now with my Forbidden Sun, but if I can manage to get a 2nd one available it would help a bit.

Also, how do you access that locked door in Aldia's Keep?
Bare minimum requirements for you STR weapon or power stance requirements for a pair of zweihander that's 18 SEX. The locked door with chains you use a cyclops to break down the wall.

strafer

No it's fine he doesn't really do much for you anyway. You just gave yourself pretty much a large blue greatsword that is good for raw, mundane or enchanted infusions with a pretty alright moveset.

That was a typo lol.

infusions...is that like adding fire/lightning/Frost damage to a weapon?

Mistel

Banned
infusions...is that like adding fire/lightning/Frost damage to a weapon?
Infusions is adding either different elemental damage types and scaling depending on the infusion or just secondary effects like bleed etc. There's mundane and raw which lend themselves to specific types of builds.

Just got a platinum after putting up a lot of struggle to get 30 sunlight medals :D The hosts that summoned me kept on dying so many times, so it took a lot of time to get 30 medals :(

ElTopo

Banned
Did some grinding and this time against the Giant Lord. I've come to realize that I really hate that boss fight.

His health is very low

Fireball comes down to get a cheap hit and takes a quarter life

What's more, the fireball creates a smoke cloud that drops the FPS and if you've aggro'd him when the cloud is up you can't see him

The corner you fight him in is too close to him (unlike the fight with the last Giant) and he's very easily obscured, doesn't matter if you target his legs or not.

Stupid fight. Stupid number of souls you get from it too. I have a theory that the low health is a way to balance how bad the fight is. Someone in testing said that this fight sucks for the reasons I described and to compensate, they lowered his health.

Anywho... I got my Attunement up to 43, now I'm rocking 2 Forbidden Sun's ready to smack down any invading scumbags. And I still have enough boss souls to get 4 million and level up by 11-14 points. Might invest it all in Strength. Fuck it, I want damage, I want to do the maximum amount of damage I can deal.

Just got a platinum after putting up a lot of struggle to get 30 sunlight medals :D The hosts that summoned me kept on dying so many times, so it took a lot of time to get 30 medals :(

Yeah I had that happen a lot. Or they die when the boss is really low health. I had it once where the boss was literally one hit from death and the host died, luckily I was able to kill the boss before disappearing, I got the souls but not sure if I got a medal.

Forbidden Sun used to be so broken you got more casts of it, it too fewer slots, was near instant detonation, and it did INSANE damage. They nerfed the damage(still does upwards of 1,200 though) made it take longer to explode, reduced casts and increased slots required. Just like Miracles and Sorceries it depends on the Pyromancy. You could just wear the ring that gives you three more attunment slots and get another Forbidden Sun. Or try wearing Saints Hood since that increases casts.

Bare minimum requirements for you STR weapon or power stance requirements for a pair of zweihander that's 18 SEX. The locked door with chains you use a cyclops to break down the wall.

DEATH BY SNU-SNU!

*later*

The spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised!

O Futurama you so crazy.

v1perz53

Congrats! I got my platinum fully offline (PS3 couldn't connect where I lived during the summer), and getting 30 sunlight medals offline was TORTURE. I got to NG+9 things betwixt killing the stupid falconers for medals.

Mistel

Banned
You could just wear the ring that gives you three more attunment slots and get another Forbidden Sun. Or try wearing Saints Hood since that increases casts.
Crown of the iron king may generally be more effective as it regenerates casts for all spell or you could just use amber herbs.

strafer

Just took down my first boss, The Last Giant, what a giant pain in the ass, a lot of dodging and sidestepping, died a few times but after learning his pattern and stuff he went down.

It actually feels good when you down something.

Congrats! I got my platinum fully offline (PS3 couldn't connect where I lived during the summer), and getting 30 sunlight medals offline was TORTURE. I got to NG+9 things betwixt killing the stupid falconers for medals.

Don't the dark magic throwing things in Harvest Valley also drop them? Very small chance for them to drop the, but still.

Crown of the iron king may generally be more effective as it regenerates casts for all spell or you could just use amber herbs.
True, but during a PvP fight(if you wanna be the kind of person that uses Forbidden Sun in PvP :mad: having more casts via Saints Hood or through another spell would be better. During a boss fight the crown could be more effective. Get spells back while you dodge and do damage.)

Just took down my first boss, The Last Giant, what a giant pain in the ass, a lot of dodging and sidestepping, died a few times but after learning his pattern and stuff he went down.

Yup, Dark Souls gives a beautiful sense of accomplishment when you overcome its adversities. It's one of the few games out there that really test your abilities. Now, If I could only beat Ninja Gaiden Black...

v1perz53

Don't the dark magic throwing things in Harvest Valley also drop them? Very small chance for them to drop the, but still.

Yea, but I found that even on NG+9 the falconers died to two Greater Lightning Spear (and this was after the nerf too) and were generally quicker to farm, as they are close together and died quickly. Guys in Harvest Valley are kind of spread out and a pain to farm.

Welcome to Souls games, that amazing feeling when you down a boss you have been struggling on. Also fun to watch how much better you get at the game as you play, it is crazy how different it feels running a new character now vs. when I first started, and this is coming from someone who played 100+ hours of Dark Souls 1 before 2 came out.

v1perz53

I really need to learn not to pop those healing gems all the time.

Grrr.

Once you have killed Giant Lord, if you use the "talk" option with Melentia a bunch of times she will move to Majula and sell infinite stock of Lifegems. Very useful to keep a lot around when you only need a little healing.

strafer

Once you have killed Giant Lord, if you use the "talk" option with Melentia a bunch of times she will move to Majula and sell infinite stock of Lifegems. Very useful to keep a lot around when you only need a little healing.

Oh nice! Will do that.

You cant increase the amount it heals right?

v1perz53

Oh nice! Will do that.

You cant increase the amount it heals right?

Yea, can't increase Lifegem healing, but you can find Radiant Lifegems and Old Radiant Lifegems later on which heal for more. Not sure why the Old version heals for the most but what can you do. Actually there are a ton of random healing items in the game that you get limited quantity of. I used to save them but now I just use them whenever I need a bit of healing so they don't go to waste. Stuff like Monastery Charms, Dragon Charms and Rouge Water. Some have cool side effects, like Rouge Water restoring spell casts too.

So I killed a guy and stole his blue sword..did I dun goofed up?

You killed Benhart?! You monster!

But in all seriousness, he's a pretty great NPC. You'll miss out on his sidequest and can't summon him now, so not a huge deal. But hey, play the game how you want. If you want to roleplay a coldblooded killer who murders awesome people for their swords, go ahead! =P

Joke's on you, the sword is a fake.

120v

kind of a dumb question, maybe...

but i'm pretty much done with the game and just bought the DLCs... i'm planning on playing through the DLC before killing nashandra. i don't want to bother with NG+. will this affect me in any kind of averse way? i'm not big on PvP, if that matters

Top Bottom