• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
kind of a dumb question, maybe...

but i'm pretty much done with the game and just bought the DLCs... i'm planning on playing through the DLC before killing nashandra. i don't want to bother with NG+. will this affect me in any kind of averse way? i'm not big on PvP, if that matters
Not at all no negative repercussions.

You killed Benhart?! You monster!

But in all seriousness, he's a pretty great NPC. You'll miss out on his sidequest and can't summon him now, so not a huge deal. But hey, play the game how you want. If you want to roleplay a coldblooded killer who murders awesome people for their swords, go ahead! =P

Joke's on you, the sword is a fake.

Eh I felt no connection with him personally. That's the problem with the NPCs in DaS2 I feel no sympathy or have any real connection to them. So killing them mindlessly doesn't have the same effect as say killing Solaire for his awesome bucket helm, or killing Pybro.

Because basically put they're larger amount of crystallized souls hence an old radiant gem heals more its got more souls in it. Simply put bigger means better for life gems.

That bares no relevance on its usefulness or not really.
True, but still...
if you killed him with the intention of wanting a magical sword....

Oh, you were talking about voice actors and I missed the discussion :(

The only thing I can say now is that Targrey has the funniest lines in DS2: deny to join the Drangleic PD twice and you can hear how he's annoyed by that: "Gods, have mercy!"

Also I found the midget guy who leads the brotherhood of blood creepier than the marionettes "do you wish to bath yourself in blood?"

Anyways, I was exploring the Painted World of Ariamis yesterday... The more I play DS and the DLC areas the more I think Fromsoft had to cut a lot of content in DSII at some point, I wonder what made them do that... That doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing DSII, I still think that Shulva city is one of the best areas in the souls series.

The only thing I can say now is that Targrey has the funniest lines in DS2: deny to join the Drangleic PD twice and you can hear how he's annoyed by that: "Gods, have mercy!"

Also I found the midget guy who leads the brotherhood of blood creepier than the marionettes "do you wish to bath yourself in blood?"

Anyways, I was exploring the Painted World of Ariamis yesterday... The more I play DS and the DLC areas the more I think Fromsoft had to cut a lot of content in DSII at some point, I wonder what made them do that... That doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing DSII, I still think that Shulva city is one of the best areas in the souls series.

Targey is very zealous but really funny too. As for the blood dude, he's more psychotic than creepy. My first character was a very faith based character doing no sins, helping NPCs, etc. Then suddenly, decided he would like to bathe in the blood of people and have their blood pour down on him. All for a simple achievement.

That's what I really hate about games having a set release date, as the release date comes closer they have to cut out some really neat content, or upset a few fans that would cause a riot. I personally wouldn't mind a game getting delayed for a while if it meant more interesting content and a more polished game.

Like in Dark Souls 1:
Oscar was supposed to live and you encounter him throughout your journey, and he helps you various times. He is bent on being the Chosen Undead, so at the end regardless of what option you choose(to link the flame or to usher in darkness) he will turn on you and fight you. Vaati does an interesting video about if, you want: Artorias has a lot of neat dialogue that never got used and it would have really added to his character. I would have loved the whole Oscar thing, it would have made the game a lot more interesting alas it wasn't meant to be :(.

Then you don't have a magical sword?

And you viciously and ruthlessly ended the life of an innocent man who all he wanted to do was help you succeed.

Like in Dark Souls 1:
Oscar was supposed to live and you encounter him throughout your journey, and he helps you various times. He is bent on being the Chosen Undead, so at the end regardless of what option you choose(to link the flame or to usher in darkness) he will turn on you and fight you. Vaati does an interesting video about if, you want: Artorias has a lot of neat dialogue that never got used and it would have really added to his character. I would have loved the whole Oscar thing, it would have made the game a lot more interesting alas it wasn't meant to be :(.

And you viciously and ruthlessly ended the life of an innocent man who all he wanted to do was help you succeed.

Dont forget the shiva sidequest and artorias content (not the DLC).

And I dont cared about Beinhart, he is not Solaire.

kind of a dumb question, maybe...

but i'm pretty much done with the game and just bought the DLCs... i'm planning on playing through the DLC before killing nashandra. i don't want to bother with NG+. will this affect me in any kind of averse way? i'm not big on PvP, if that matters

DLC is somewhat after or just before Nashandra anyway so you are good to go

Oh nice! Will do that.

You cant increase the amount it heals right?

You can put some points on adaptability to use them faster and do double healing still estus is the main source of healing.

ZdkDzk

Souls Gaf I need some help.

So I'm going through the Iron King DLC
I've beat the Fume Knight, and I'm about to fight the Alonne knight and I can't find the Blue Smelter Demon.
I've been through every area I can find and I have no idea where he is.

Souls Gaf I need some help.

So I'm going through the Iron King DLC
I've beat the Fume Knight, and I'm about to fight the Alonne knight and I can't find the Blue Smelter Demon.
I've been through every area I can find and I have no idea where he is.

From the bonfire that's close to where you use a wedge to turn the area on(make everything start going up and down)you're going to go on the platform that has a giant statue and goes down. From there you will get to a gate which you need a key to open, which you should have if you got to Fume. Through there you will go down the stairs, wait for another platform with a giant going down, after you go down there will be an opening on the right. Then you light a bonfire and just follow the path and you'll reach him. There's two ways you can get to him, one is easier but still a pain in the ass...GOOD LUCK

strafer

Gotta love these dudes..

OldIronclad.png

the way they put their weapon above their heads and just...come here and I smack you.

Zocano

It's really a shame seeing the cut content in the Souls games.

Demon's Souls had a very obvious one in the game that they just had to leave out. It was basically the precursor to Painted World.

Dark Souls 1 also had a lot of cut content (and AotA was basically supposed to be part of the main game?)

Dark Souls 2, unfortunately, had even more cut content. It definitely feels like the crown quest was supposed to be part of the main game in some fashion.

And of course the infamous lighting engine downgrade which completely gut a lot of the atmosphere from the game.

Dont forget the shiva sidequest and artorias content (not the DLC).

And I dont cared about Beinhart, he is not Solaire.

Benhart didn't do much for me but Lucatiel is where the feels are at this time around. She's basically the Seigmeyer of this game. The embodiment of hopelessness and inevitability.

It's really a shame seeing the cut content in the Souls games.

Demon's Souls had a very obvious one in the game that they just had to leave out. It was basically the precursor to Painted World.

Dark Souls 1 also had a lot of cut content (and AotA was basically supposed to be part of the main game?)

Dark Souls 2, unfortunately, had even more cut content. It definitely feels like the crown quest was supposed to be part of the main game in some fashion.

And of course the infamous lighting engine downgrade which completely gut a lot of the atmosphere from the game.

Benhart didn't do much for me but Lucatiel is where the feels are at this time around. She's basically the Seigmeyer of this game. The embodiment of hopelessness and inevitability.

The the problem with publishers they usually want to rush a game out to meet the stated release date but are short-sighted. They think about the bottom line rather than the satisfaction of players. I really would have loved the torch aspect, it would have really contributed to the darkness of Dark Souls.

Zocano

I have a very strong feeling that if Dark Souls 2's lighting system was intact, then people would be praising the ever loving shit out of this game (barring the overabundance of bosses which dilutes the good ones).

Instead we have a giant witch hunt out against Dark Souls 2. Plenty of people are pretty rational with their discussion of the game but there is just so much "B-team is garbage" level shit that it just doesn't do much but destroy proper discourse and criticism against the game.

It's got problems, I'm very aware of that, but the amount of shit-tier attacks on the game is saddening.

I have a very strong feeling that if Dark Souls 2's lighting system was intact, then people would be praising the ever loving shit out of this game (barring the overabundance of bosses which dilutes the good ones).

Instead we have a giant witch hunt out against Dark Souls 2. Plenty of people are pretty rational with their discussion of the game but there is just so much "B-team is garbage" level shit that it just doesn't do much but destroy proper discourse and criticism against the game.

It's got problems, I'm very aware of that, but the amount of shit-tier attacks on the game is saddening.

It couldn't live up to the hype, that's the problem. It's a great game overall with the exception of boss difficulty coming from having 3 enemies to focus on. What I don't like is how they nerfed bosses when the game wasn't even out for very long. They nerfed Lost Sinner to the ground and is a joke of a fight now, and Last Giant also got nerfed. Also having the Mirror Knight randomly select you via putting down a RSS was stupid, they should have made a covenant devoted to being a squire. Alongside uping the lighting those are my major concerns with it. The other things are minimalist and don't change my view on the game as a whole.

It couldn't live up to the hype, that's the problem. It's a great game overall with the exception of boss difficulty coming from having 3 enemies to focus on. What I don't like is how they nerfed bosses when the game wasn't even out for very long. They nerfed Lost Sinner to the ground and is a joke of a fight now, and Last Giant also got nerfed. Also having the Mirror Knight randomly select you via putting down a RSS was stupid, they should have made a covenant devoted to being a squire. Alongside uping the lighting those are my major concerns with it. The other things are minimalist and don't change my view on the game as a whole.

Becoming a mainstream game have its downsides.

Yeah, the game got overhyped and then the whole lighting thing got blown out of proportion. The combination of people being disappointed that it wasn't the "GOAT!!" and the people who already hated the game because of the lighting downgrade really did bring a lot of negative attention to the game.

I'm totally fine with criticism of the game (a lot of which I agree with), but there's a lot of really strange hate for it.

All of the people already screaming "GOTY!" and "GOAT!" at Bloodborne make me worried. As good as it looks there's no way any game can live up to that level of hype, and any issues it has are going to disappoint people. Rather than them being able to enjoy it for what it is.

I wasn't into Souls when DkS1 first came out. Did it receive anywhere near the level of hype that Bloodborne is getting? I'm guessing it didn't, because while people loved Demon's Souls, it was much more niche back then.

Zocano

And most people still have not played the best game in the series. :D

But, I agree hype and expectation doomed the game. I think having played Demon's long before dark souls helped temper any criticism or zealousness I might have had.

Plus I enjoy the story beats far more in Dark Souls 2. Though that is easily the most subjective aspect of the games.

v1perz53

Am I the only one who really really did not want the lightning system they showed off? I never wanted to have to rely more on a torch, and in both Dark Souls 1 and 2 I cranked the brightness all the way up because I occasionally play in the day and like to see things. Really nothing about the old lighting system made much of a difference to me one way or the other, and I am kind of happy they abandoned it. I already hate the areas that force a torch on me enough.

I only say that because I talk a lot in here about all the aspects of this game I wish were better, and how I agree with a lot of people's complaints. I obviously still think this game is incredible, as I have put hundreds of hours into it and am still playing now, but I think there were a good deal of shitty design decision they made when making this game. And to me, lightning changes aren't even one of those shitty decisions.

And most people still have not played the best game in the series. :D

But, I agree hype and expectation doomed the game. I think having played Demon's long before dark souls helped temper any criticism or zealousness I might have had.

Plus I enjoy the story beats far more in Dark Souls 2. Though that is easily the most subjective aspect of the games.

I started in Dark Souls, if Dark Souls 1 ran like Dark Souls 2(like summoning, invasions, graphics, etc) Dark Souls 1 would have been the greatest. While I still have lots of love for Dark Souls 1 some stuff just caused uneeded anger, that's not to say it's a bad game it's still an incredible game, it just could have been improved in some areas. Boss fights, map design, and lore it excelled in. Just the way it ran in some areas(not going to mention names...BLIGHTTOWN!) was horrendous.

Am I the only one who really really did not want the lightning system they showed off? I never wanted to have to rely more on a torch, and in both Dark Souls 1 and 2 I cranked the brightness all the way up because I occasionally play in the day and like to see things. Really nothing about the old lighting system made much of a difference to me one way or the other, and I am kind of happy they abandoned it. I already hate the areas that force a torch on me enough.

I only say that because I talk a lot in here about all the aspects of this game I wish were better, and how I agree with a lot of people's complaints. I obviously still think this game is incredible, as I have put hundreds of hours into it and am still playing now, but I think there were a good deal of shitty design decision they made when making this game. And to me, lightning changes aren't even one of those shitty decisions.

Yeah some people didn't like the whole reliance on torches and it may have been a pain covering's how there's a timer on them(not sure if the trailers showed a timer, or if they added a timer afterwards since it wasn't a necessity anymore) and having to run to a bonfire to light it first. I did like it because it encouraged you to dodge roll a lot more rather than just block all the attacks. It changes up the environment and makes you switch play styles. I can see why some people may not like it though. Wasn't there also supposed to be bosses that seeked you out instead of the other way around?

Yeah, the game got overhyped and then the whole lighting thing got blown out of proportion. The combination of people being disappointed that it wasn't the "GOAT!!" and the people who already hated the game because of the lighting downgrade really did bring a lot of negative attention to the game.

I'm totally fine with criticism of the game (a lot of which I agree with), but there's a lot of really strange hate for it.

All of the people already screaming "GOTY!" and "GOAT!" at Bloodborne make me worried. As good as it looks there's no way any game can live up to that level of hype, and any issues it has are going to disappoint people. Rather than them being able to enjoy it for what it is.

I wasn't into Souls when DkS1 first came out. Did it receive anywhere near the level of hype that Bloodborne is getting? I'm guessing it didn't, because while people loved Demon's Souls, it was much more niche back then.

The whole dash canceling, the lack of stun and the self regenerative health the more you attack with no penalty is kinda bad and easy for me and It looks like more a pure action oriented game when you have fun killing things with your nearly inmortal vampire character. I am seeing a lot of people liking bloodborne for that specific action and atmospheric thematic genre but never tried a Souls series before becuase they heard the games are Hard.

Dont get me wrong, I am not expecting a Souls game in Bloodhorne but I am not quite pleased seeing being so easy to play.

I think the whole souls series was great because the game wasnt so popular, the devs could focus more into the game itself like a good old well made game rather that sells you the game as a toy forgetting what would make the game unique in the process and modifiy the game after launch to tone down difficult areas to please the demanding new audience they got.

oh my god...I just got to the Bastille area and I open a door and fell to my death...

:D

The real dark souls begins here

oh my god...I just got to the Bastille area and I open a door and fell to my death...

:D

Gravity OP please nerf. I remember that door. I opened it up with my shield up expecting an enemy, then I looked down and was like heh nice try Dark Souls. My first death was int he tutorial, where you have to jump to get that item. I made it across just fine, but the journey back didn't go over too well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

They would be complaining that the whole game ran like Blighttown is likely what would have happened.

My highest rated message in xbox is: 上、そして左 in the Sunken King DLC
for the ps3 version is: "Giant ahead, therefore eliminating one at a time" between Hyde Tower of Flame and No Man's Warf.

Regarding the old "lighting system" I don't know if it would've worked or not... the first ideas they talked about regarding the lighting system made me worry: they said that sometimes you would have to choose between lighting a torch to be able to see your surroundings and having to protect yourself with a shield and therefore you wouldn't be able to see that much... that made me think a lot about the area I hate the most in DS one (tomb of the giants) so I'm not so sure I would've liked it.

Regarding Bloodborne it seems to me that it may be a good game: it's an action game that share some of its basics with the souls series... but it's not as frenetic as DMC, ninja gaiden or Otogi, it's still kind of slow and more tactical. I don't think I'll play it soon since I don't even own a ps4 so I'd rely in your comments about the game guys. At least until I decide to buy a ps4. I like its aesthetics though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The gutter is one of the best areas in the game...so no?

The gutter...o god the memories! I wish I could avoid that place,
but they had to make the first DLC after The Rotten
WOES ME!

My highest rated message in xbox is: 上、そして左 in the Sunken King DLC
for the ps3 version is: "Giant ahead, therefore eliminating one at a time" between Hyde Tower of Flame and No Man's Warf.

Regarding the old "lighting system" I don't know if it would've worked or not... the first ideas they talked about regarding the lighting system made me worry: they said that sometimes you would have to choose between lighting a torch to be able to see your surroundings and having to protect yourself with a shield and therefore you wouldn't be able to see that much... that made me think a lot about the area I hate the most in DS one (tomb of the giants) so I'm not so sure I would've liked it.

Regarding Bloodborne it seems to me that it may be a good game: it's an action game that share some of its basics with the souls series... but it's not as frenetic as DMC, ninja gaiden or Otogi, it's still kind of slow and more tactical. I don't think I'll play it soon since I don't even own a ps4 so I'd rely in your comments about the game guys. At least until I decide to buy a ps4. I like its aesthetics though.

Well my interpretation from why they wanted to implement it was to get people to be less reliant on shields. Plus it's not like the torch didn't block at all, I think they made it block like ~70%. Something like that.

v1perz53

I pretty much hated every second of the gutter, and I now run through that entire place in under 2 minutes on any character. I didn't find a single thing about it to be good. The only area worse in my mind was Tseldora. Honestly don't get what people liked about the gutter when it is mentioned in a positive light. It has arguably the most broken (hitbox wise) enemies in the game in those dog things, poison statues are annoying and the other enemies are all generic. Atmosphere is fine I guess, but was nothing special to me.

I found gutter and tesldora pretty good. Not that great though. Shrine of amana was worse.

My favorite areas are forest of giants, lost bastille and dragons shrine.

I feel like an ultimate scrub.
I fought Pursuer on my Explorer named RectalExaminer I fought him once normally and died when he was about 3 strikes from death because my B button decided to lag on me. So I go in again, kite him infront of a crossbow and launch it, he gets stunned and I do it again and he's dead. He didn't hit me, I didn't land a physical hit on him. Ultimate cheese award :(

If Shulva had interesting mobs, better lighting (darker) and decent textures, it would have been great.

The thing about DkSII is that it looks flat, bland and empty. The previous games looked more "full" (vegetation, assets, corpses, dead animals..etc) and bleak; DkSII kinda look cartoon-y and generic.

The mobs are very similar in moveset, strategy and AI patterns; their placement is bad as well. Also, where the heck are NPCs (merchants and side quests)?

Nevertheless, the DLCs were much better than vanilla DkSII but they are still lackluster IMO. I liked the addition of puzzles though.

An interesting thing that I found was few mods in the nexus. It would be great if we could mess around with stage design and mobs AI; FromSoft should release a modkit and both online and offline modes fir custom games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can someone explain how exactly the guardian's seal works? And can I get summoned while sitting at a bonfire like with a soapstone or is it like the bell keeper ring?

ilium

Can someone explain how exactly the guardian's seal works? And can I get summoned while sitting at a bonfire like with a soapstone or is it like the bell keeper ring?

You need to be human and wear the ring.
The covenant Symbol in the left upper corner will begin to glow if you are "on watch".

Ruuppa

Do you ever get summoned?

Extremely rarely.

Edit: It might be connected to how good your latency is. If you have low ping with the guy you're trying to go protect, it's more likely that you get summoned. My internet connection is balls, so I very rarely get summoned. Of course, I've heard tons of people complain about how it takes hours to get summoned even once.

Even with good latency, you still have to fulfil all of the variables to get summoned:

1. Be in the same area as the one you're going to protect (probably? I got summoned once to Central Drangleic Castle when I was camping there for an hour or two with the ring*)
2. Be in SM range of the guy
3. There must be a human red invader in the guy's world, and no other Blue Sentinel there

So good luck.

*that one summon was my only one during my whole period of wearing the ring, about 5-ish hours total

ilium

Extremely rarely.

What he said. It was a lot better during the first months but now... Difficult.
However it also depends on where you wait. I always had pretty good results at the last shaded woods bonfire for some reason. DLC area might work ok too since they seem to be pretty active Invasion wise.
When i PvE i'm usually in the blue pilgrim covenant to help some bluebros get summoned.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gotta love these dudes..

OldIronclad.png

the way they put their weapon above their heads and just...come here and I smack you.
You streaming bro?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Extremely rarely.

Edit: It might be connected to how good your latency is. If you have low ping with the guy you're trying to go protect, it's more likely that you get summoned. My internet connection is balls, so I very rarely get summoned. Of course, I've heard tons of people complain about how it takes hours to get summoned even once.

Even with good latency, you still have to fulfil all of the variables to get summoned:

1. Be in the same area as the one you're going to protect (probably? I got summoned once to Central Drangleic Castle when I was camping there for an hour or two with the ring*)
2. Be in SM range of the guy
3. There must be a human red invader in the guy's world, and no other Blue Sentinel there

So good luck.

*that one summon was my only one during my whole period of wearing the ring, about 5-ish hours total

maybe they needed to make it so that the invaded has a ring equipped and that connects with nearby blue sentinels. I guess they cant go all the way and have no ring because then so many invasions would just turn into ganks.

ilium

maybe they needed to make it so that the invaded has a ring equipped and that connects with nearby blue sentinels. I guess they cant go all the way and have no ring because then so many invasions would just turn into ganks.

You only need to be a member of the blue pilgrim covenant to get help. You don't need to wear the ring.

Mistel

Banned
I'm not even sure that would help the mechanic is interesting no doubt, but it's let down by the way the matchmaking works. Having the ring on the other player wouldn't counter the issues it has.

Anyone got any tips for the three bosses in Bastille? The three tall ones.

Drop down, DON'T lock-on and circle around the first sentinel when he does the overhead attack. Use the mace (high strike and poise damage). After you beat the first one, drop down instantly and focus on taking the second one ASAP.

If you had to fight two of them at the same time, try to group them and run near their attack range to bait both to attack at the same time; you can safely punish one of them while the other is in recovery frames. Play unlocked and keep an eye on both while running in and out of their range.

@Wreck

I went in

With. Gold pine + rapier

Killed first on ledge waited for the next one on the ledge killed second

Then i took it to the floor for the third

Did the pumped emote after!!

If Shulva had interesting mobs, better lighting (darker) and decent textures, it would have been great.

The thing about DkSII is that it looks flat, bland and empty. The previous games looked more "full" (vegetation, assets, corpses, dead animals..etc) and bleak; DkSII kinda look cartoon-y and generic.

The mobs are very similar in moveset, strategy and AI patterns; their placement is bad as well. Also, where the heck are NPCs (merchants and side quests)?

Nevertheless, the DLCs were much better than vanilla DkSII but they are still lackluster IMO. I liked the addition of puzzles though.

An interesting thing that I found was few mods in the nexus. It would be great if we could mess around with stage design and mobs AI; FromSoft should release a modkit and both online and offline modes fir custom games.

You can see they changed a lot of areas drastically. Areas used to have different textures blood, crumbling walls, mold, etc. Those same areas are now just a single colour smooth texture. The graphics in the trailer looked like hell, in terms of the dark atmosphere. It was so fitting for the game :(.

Kill the first one on the plaftform you land, take a breath and heal, try to kite one to jump to the platform you are and try to damage it the best you can and jump off the platform later, kite them and usually one go long range while the other will try to kill you close combat.

But be careful some of their moves can hit you pretty fast or have strange hitboxes so you can die like in a breeze.

Top Bottom