• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

If Shulva had interesting mobs, better lighting (darker) and decent textures, it would have been great.

The thing about DkSII is that it looks flat, bland and empty. The previous games looked more "full" (vegetation, assets, corpses, dead animals..etc) and bleak; DkSII kinda look cartoon-y and generic.

The mobs are very similar in moveset, strategy and AI patterns; their placement is bad as well. Also, where the heck are NPCs (merchants and side quests)?

Nevertheless, the DLCs were much better than vanilla DkSII but they are still lackluster IMO. I liked the addition of puzzles though.

An interesting thing that I found was few mods in the nexus. It would be great if we could mess around with stage design and mobs AI; FromSoft should release a modkit and both online and offline modes fir custom games.

I can't honestly see how having better lighting and textures would improve an area that in terms of game mechanics is actually pretty good and one of my favorite areas in the whole Souls series.

I've seen this complain many times regarding the behavior of enemies in DS2. Crowd control in DS was always possible because of the short attention span the enemies had, you could actually approach to just one guy to fight one on one, while in DS2 a group of enemies is more aggressive... and somehow people didn't like that approach and tend to forget how you could exploit the AI stupidity to get rid of enemies.

Also, I said that it was clear to me that Fromsoft did have to change some areas because of the lighting system but that doesn't mean I think the areas are bland and generic, some of them are actually impressive in terms of aesthetics (Lost Bastille, huntsman copse, Iron Keep, Drangleic Castle... etc), even Shrine of Amana is a very nice place. I just think those areas might've been different in earlier stages of game development, and they would pribably look the better if it wasn't for the pressure they had for releasing the game.

Now that I think about it, Shrine of Amana is a very good example of what the game would play if they kept the lighting system: the enemies would detect you from very far and would go all their way to fight you, the same way the enemies do in that area. That may be one of the reasons why the current levels are full of corridors.

Also, where are all the NPCs and merchants in DS2? Well, aren't all of them scattered around the game world, the same as in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls?

Anyways, I know this post seems like the DSII's defense that nobody asked for, but I'm a little bit tired of reading all this harsh criticism that usually ignores the flaws of the first DS. I mean, I think that DS one is a better game too, but I'll never ignore the bad things about the first game and rant about everything DSII related.

I can't honestly see how having better lighting and textures would improve an area that in terms of game mechanics is actually pretty good and one of my favorite areas in the whole Souls series.

I am talking about the area as a whole (aesthetically and mechanically); the lighting system would definitely affect your visibility, ability to use shields and damage output (two handed). I found the area weird from an aesthetic point of view; it is a BRIGHT cave over 500ft below. I used SweetFX and other post-processing shaders to improve a lot of areas in case you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSR9fnVd7A

I've seen this complain many times regarding the behavior of enemies in DS2. Crowd control in DS was always possible because of the short attention span the enemies had, you could actually approach to just one guy to fight one on one, while in DS2 a group of enemies is more aggressive... and somehow people didn't like that approach and tend to forget how you could exploit the AI stupidity to get rid of enemies.

The A.I is still stupid; just as stupid as DkS1 enemies. Some mobs are just more aggressive, and NPCs are completely borderline batshit broken roll-cancel poise tanks. I am talking about the enemy placement in Shulva and DkSII as a whole. Enemies are just thrown randomly into groups or traps instead of reasonably sized groups where each member is placed in a meaningful place.

I have never stated having problems fighting groups of mobs or exploiting their A.I. In fact I did complain about having to only cheese their A.I for a clean fight. The problem with DkSII is the stupid slow attacks that have a lot of active frames, which in conjunction with good tracking and more than one enemy to swing, it makes fights tedious and forces the player to invest in ADP (which is a stupid STAT).

I've fought mobs on SL1 with 50% HP naked and other restrictions (challenge run). The game is clunky (especially with bad hitboxes and input storing) and slow, and you have to run around A LOT. All of this have nothing to do with enemy placement because mobs will bum rush you either way; they are thrown randomly in most cases unless it is a trap.

Also, I said that it was clear to me that Fromsoft did have to change some areas because of the lighting system but that doesn't mean I think the areas are bland and generic, some of them are actually impressive in terms of aesthetics (Lost Bastille, huntsman copse, Iron Keep, Drangleic Castle... etc), even Shrine of Amana is a very nice place. I just think those areas might've been different in earlier stages of game development, and they would pribably look the better if it wasn't for the pressure they had for releasing the game.

I don't find the said areas impressive, especially Iron Keep. The game does have bad textures, and its lighting system is still fine but weird at times. Regarding the Lost Bastille, it is one of the most boring places aesthetically due to its low polygon count, bad textures and the way the place is lit. The place has a lot of potential, but it was ruined with the nerf of the lighting system and textures. AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ENEMIES AND GAME MECHANICS HERE.

Now that I think about it, Shrine of Amana is a very good example of what the game would play if they kept the lighting system: the enemies would detect you from very far and would go all their way to fight you, the same way the enemies do in that area. That may be one of the reasons why the current levels are full of corridors.

You are supposed to use a torch in Amana to avoid cliffs, but you can easily avoid them in the game. With my mod, it is impossible to tell whether it is a cliff. Also, Shrine has a stupid ambient lighting that I got rid off (or decreased) in my mod; now it has better contrast with the bright rays that go through the branches

Also, where are all the NPCs and merchants in DS2? Well, aren't all of them scattered around the game world, the same as in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls?

NPCs around Demon's souls and Dark Souls had side quests, and they are related to the place they are found in (in most cases). I found the game lacking when it comes to NPCs and side quests.

Anyways, I know this post seems like the DSII's defense that nobody asked for, but I'm a little bit tired of reading all this harsh criticism that usually ignores the flaws of the first DS. I mean, I think that DS one is a better game too, but I'll never ignore the bad things about the first game and rant about everything DSII related.

I only compared DkSII to some of its predecessors' aesthetics and NPCs. I simply think that DkSII needs refinement in the said areas for a better experience, and I went as far as to mod it. Also, I am not ignoring any issues that DeS and DkS had; I do have complaints about both games and they should have been addressed in DkSII. Justifying a sequel's "issues" by claiming that the said issues existed in the predecessors is always a bad argument, especially when the sequel had a larger budget to help address the said issues.

What's a good strategy for NG+ for a 32/32 STR And DES build?

My great sword+10 isn't strong enough anymore. I need to get stronger...

Get the Chaos Blade, the Mirrah greatsword or the Black iron Katana for extra crit damage unless you want to go full strengh and go for the greataxes

Mistel

Banned
What's a good strategy for NG+ for a 32/32 STR And DEX build?

My great sword+10 isn't strong enough anymore. I need to get stronger...
Raising your STR would make more mileage out of the S STR scaling your greatsword has. If you've got the king soul get a kings ultra greatsword which is stronger and deals strike damage.

Mistel

Banned
Storm what spears are good (not lances)?
Pate's it's a big winged spear and scales S with DEX, Partisan pretty good moveset decent scaling, gargoyle bident does strike damage and has STR scaling, and yorghs is double b scaling with high damage.

I am talking about the area as a whole (aesthetically and mechanically); the lighting system would definitely affect your visibility, ability to use shields and damage output (two handed). I found the area weird from an aesthetic point of view; it is a BRIGHT cave over 500ft below. I used SweetFX and other post-processing shaders to improve a lot of areas in case you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSR9fnVd7A

Still can't see why making everything so dark would benefit the gameplay. Granted, it looks nice but as others and myself have pointed out a game so dark you cannot see well is not exactly what I would call fun. Specially in a game where the combat mechanics are the core of the experience. I prefer my shield over a torch (even more in DS2 since there are a lot of nice looking games comparing to the other games), and even though I understand why would someone use that particular mod I don't share your point of view and I'm totally ok with Fromsoft abandoning that lighting system.

The A.I is still stupid; just as stupid as DkS1 enemies. Some mobs are just more aggressive, and NPCs are completely borderline batshit broken roll-cancel poise tanks. I am talking about the enemy placement in Shulva and DkSII as a whole. Enemies are just thrown randomly into groups or traps instead of reasonably sized groups where each member is placed in a meaningful place.

I have never stated having problems fighting groups of mobs or exploiting their A.I. In fact I did complain about having to only cheese their A.I for a clean fight. The problem with DkSII is the stupid slow attacks that have a lot of active frames, which in conjunction with good tracking and more than one enemy to swing, it makes fights tedious and forces the player to invest in ADP (which is a stupid STAT).

I've fought mobs on SL1 with 50% HP naked and other restrictions (challenge run). The game is clunky (especially with bad hitboxes and input storing) and slow, and you have to run around A LOT. All of this have nothing to do with enemy placement because mobs will bum rush you either way; they are thrown randomly in most cases unless it is a trap.

You see, talking about a stat and just saying is "stupid" don't help the discussion. I actually like what they did with Adaptability, it's ok to have an stat tied to certain actions like rolling and using healing items, that way when you're invading someone and they try to heal I can actually have a chance to prevent that, it's the same with rolling: you want to have more iframes?, good, then level up and invest in this stat. As I see it the more difficulties a low level character has, the better, that way it makes difficult for experienced players to mess with new players during invasions early in the game.

Regarding enemies, I don't know what to say here to be honest. The way I see it I've been playing DS and DS 2 the same way and don't find any meaningful differences other than the aggressiveness of some enemies, and some of them having a lot of poise was not problematic at all in my opinion, I suppose I just dealt with it. I recognize it did affect the way other (arguably) more experienced players would play, so I understand the complains in this regard even though those didn't ruin the game for me.

I don't find the said areas impressive, especially Iron Keep. The game does have bad textures, and its lighting system is still fine but weird at times. Regarding the Lost Bastille, it is one of the most boring places aesthetically due to its low polygon count, bad textures and the way the place is lit. The place has a lot of potential, but it was ruined with the nerf of the lighting system and textures. AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ENEMIES AND GAME MECHANICS HERE.

You are supposed to use a torch in Amana to avoid cliffs, but you can easily avoid them in the game. With my mod, it is impossible to tell whether it is a cliff. Also, Shrine has a stupid ambient lighting that I got rid off (or decreased) in my mod; now it has better contrast with the bright rays that go through the branches

Well, I do. Specially because I tend to pay more attention to the artistic design instead of the quality of the textures, particle effects, quantity of polygons, etc. Yes, having better textures and a better lighting system (among many other things) will always enhance the experience of playing a good game I will not argue about that. The best looking games I have ever played are from previous console generations, though. I hope that that statement helps to make clear why I don't exactly agree with you when it comes to how great or terrible are some of the areas in DS II.

NPCs around Demon's souls and Dark Souls had side quests, and they are related to the place they are found in (in most cases). I found the game lacking when it comes to NPCs and side quests.

Well, that's because a lot of people have analyzed those 2 games a lot, which is proof of how good they are. In the case of DSII there are a lot of theories already, one of my favorites is about Magerold being Jester Thomas based on many things, one of the arguments is actually related to the locations where you met those 2 characters.

I only compared DkSII to some of its predecessors' aesthetics and NPCs. I simply think that DkSII needs refinement in the said areas for a better experience, and I went as far as to mod it. Also, I am not ignoring any issues that DeS and DkS had; I do have complaints about both games and they should have been addressed in DkSII. Justifying a sequel's "issues" by claiming that the said issues existed in the predecessors is always a bad argument, especially when the sequel had a larger budget to help address the said issues.

I am not justifying the issues DSII have by saying that the other games had problems too. They clearly addressed some of the problems the previous games have and many of those solutions modified the game in ways many fans found disappointing. As I said, I just find most of the negative criticism to be a little bit unjustified at times.

You see, talking about a stat and just saying is "stupid" don't help the discussion. I actually like what they did with Adaptability, it's ok to have an stat tied to certain actions like rolling and using healing items, that way when you're invading someone and they try to heal I can actually have a chance to prevent that, it's the same with rolling: you want to have more iframes?, good, then level up and invest in this stat. As I see it the more difficulties a low level character has, the better, that way it makes difficult for experienced players to mess with new players during invasions early in the game.

Did you perchance play the game at release? Because lemme tell you, that was quite a good showing on why adaptability is a terrible way to go around designing things. Detaching rolling iframes from the act itself, and making it rely on a stat without the corresponding visual representation is also quite high on the "for fuck's sake, the fuck are you doing" list of shit you aren't supposed to do. Disconnect between action and consequence is never good.

Want to make adaptability better? Great, excellent, make the roll actually change as it gets better, don't have it be the same exact fucking thing, only now you're far less likely to get roflstomped while performing it in the exact same manner as before. Otherwise, you'd have to actually tell the player that the more adp you have, the more agility you'll have (which the game does, obv), and OH HEY, that also increases, at set intervals, the amount of iframes your roll will have. What's iframe? Oh, that's the parts of the roll during which you don't actually take damage.

The game does none of that, of course. Which is why it is shit design. Which is also why, during most of the release window, ADP was considered a shit stat to be skipped over completely.

On the light changes that the guy with the mod shows, it does make the game more cohesive. Aldia's looks terrific, that corridor is all darkey fear-of-the-unknown like. Problem is, obviously, that the game sure as heck wasn't balanced around that.

v1perz53

Did you perchance play the game at release? Because lemme tell you, that was quite a good showing on why adaptability is a terrible way to go around designing things. Detaching rolling iframes from the act itself, and making it rely on a stat without the corresponding visual representation is also quite high on the "for fuck's sake, the fuck are you doing" list of shit you aren't supposed to do. Disconnect between action and consequence is never good.

Want to make adaptability better? Great, excellent, make the roll actually change as it gets better, don't have it be the same exact fucking thing, only now you're far less likely to get roflstomped while performing it in the exact same manner as before. Otherwise, you'd have to actually tell the player that the more adp you have, the more agility you'll have (which the game does, obv), and OH HEY, that also increases, at set intervals, the amount of iframes your roll will have. What's iframe? Oh, that's the parts of the roll during which you don't actually take damage.

The game does none of that, of course. Which is why it is shit design. Which is also why, during most of the release window, ADP was considered a shit stat to be skipped over completely.

This is almost word for word my thoughts on the problems with Adp. It is almost always poor game design to have something work differently when you change something (in this case a stat) but give no visual indication that it is changing. Each iFrame roll value really needs it's own graphic, so that something looks different and your brain can process that your roll might be better. I can understand the idea behind adp, but the execution was poorly done.

On the light changes that the guy with the mod shows, it does make the game more cohesive. Aldia's looks terrific, that corridor is all darkey fear-of-the-unknown like. Problem is, obviously, that the game sure as heck wasn't balanced around that.

I did purchase the game at launch and at the same time invested some time trying to know what some stats did... I didn't want to invest points in something like "resistance" again. I was lucky when someone said "I think raising adaptability gives you more iframes" so I decided to invest some souls there.

As I said, I realize that there are many things they changed that caused other problems but for the most part I'm ok with what they did.

My own complaints with the game are not related to combat mechanics but with the world structure, which is a weird hybrid between Dark and Demon's but it's not as good as either of those games. And again, world structure and the aesthetics of some areas are not the same thing, so I don't support the idea that darker areas = better gameplay.

Zocano

I played the game on launch day and such and I was okay with adaptability then, too.

It's one of those stats that *everyone* has to have because of how it effects almost everything. Which makes it less... interesting, honestly. Universal stats like those aren't exactly the best for diversity and character buidling. It just becomes a stat you have to have.

I feel like the previous complaints are because adaptability/agility is one of those stats that works so gradually. I knew I was chugging potions faster, it's just I couldn't point at something and be like "yah that's why". I just *felt* that I could get a potion down faster. Which made me be able to survive moments that I wouldn't have been able to with lower stats.

I believe it also affected how quickly you could put up your shield? I'm just not 100% sure.

The biggest problem from that, obviously, becomes rolling and evading and how iframes work with those animations. Which also in turn affected hit box interactions and made animations look like they should have dodged when they didn't and whatnot. It just makes everything feel off and weird

Get the Chaos Blade, the Mirrah greatsword or the Black iron Katana for extra crit damage unless you want to go full strengh and go for the greataxes

Raising your STR would make more mileage out of the S STR scaling your greatsword has. If you've got the king soul get a kings ultra greatsword which is stronger and deals strike damage.

What are some of the specs for those weapons?

Should rename it katana souls. Katanas are always among the best weapon class in every Souls game. Japanese bias for their own shit.

Ohhhh, shoots fired! To be fair, katanas are pretty bad ass in real life.

What are some good leggings and gauntlets for physical defense other than havels?

I personally use Engraved Gauntlets, while they may not be the best for defenses, their 5% to land critical hits is pretty neat. I've gotten like 2 or 3 crits with my power-staned KUGSs on Elena before.

At least you can use things, faster.

I suppose, but in DaS1 everything was a lot faster, drinking of the Estus and the healing of the Estus. It would have been nice if your health regained from Estus also became faster by leveling your ADP.

I played the game on launch day and such and I was okay with adaptability then, too.

It's one of those stats that *everyone* has to have because of how it effects almost everything. Which makes it less... interesting, honestly. Universal stats like those aren't exactly the best for diversity and character buidling. It just becomes a stat you have to have.

I feel like the previous complaints are because adaptability/agility is one of those stats that works so gradually. I knew I was chugging potions faster, it's just I couldn't point at something and be like "yah that's why". I just *felt* that I could get a potion down faster. Which made me be able to survive moments that I wouldn't have been able to with lower stats.

I believe it also affected how quickly you could put up your shield? I'm just not 100% sure.

The biggest problem from that, obviously, becomes rolling and evading and how iframes work with those animations. Which also in turn affected hit box interactions and made animations look like they should have dodged when they didn't and whatnot. It just makes everything feel off and weird

I see that as a cheap way to force people to level up in order to still be viable in PvP. Before you could have low health and be a glass cannon due to you being able to roll extremely well. Now you have less iframes, and I think you roll less distance if you have lower ADP(I think, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm looking at you, Storm.). I would have preferred your AGL to increase based on the leveling of other stats, like your HP.

NEO0MJ

Had fun with an invader. I was farming the Mastadon set when someone ivaded me. I quickly hid in a room with lots of boxes and just stayed there, watching him going back and forth multiple times. Eventually I decided to jump and attack him.

Question, is there any use at all for the "rusted" sets? They seem worse than the originals in every way.

Crown of the Ivory King coming out this week! I'm excited. If it's as good as the two previous pieces, than the Season Pass will have been well worth it. Actually, I loved Crown of the Sunken King and Crown of the Old Iron King enough that the Season Pass was already worth it, so Crown of the Ivory King will almost just be a bonus for me.

Had fun with an invader. I was farming the Mastadon set when someone ivaded me. I quickly hid in a room with lots of boxes and just stayed there, watching him going back and forth multiple times. Eventually I decided to jump and attack him.

That's always fun. Did you use Chameleon or a Silver Talisman?

Mistel

Banned
What are some of the specs for those weapons?
Kings ultra greatsword has 450 damage S/D scaling.
What are some good leggings and gauntlets for physical defense other than havels?
Steel or drakekeepers.
Question, is there any use at all for the "rusted" sets? They seem worse than the originals in every way.
You can use them if you want similar but lighter armor or have a burdening urge to dress up as a hollow mastodon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Goddamn so many weapons I want use dragon bones and so many helmets I want to fashion souls with use twinkling. Curse you, From.

Also Alonne Knight best knight. And I keep wrecking people on the bridge with the bandit's axe. I dont think some of them have seen someone use a light axe.

Ruuppa

Goddamn so many weapons I want use dragon bones and so many helmets I want to fashion souls with use twinkling. Curse you, From.

Also Alonne Knight best knight. And I keep wrecking people on the bridge with the bandit's axe. I dont think some of them have seen someone use a light axe.

Armor enhancements don't really do all that much in the grand scale of things. Unless the armor gains lots of elemental resistances, the difference between a +0 and a +5 Twinkling armor is about 5% less damage taken. If it gains 30-40 in an elemental resistance, then it's a lot better. Physical resistances have bad returns.
It looks like Eurogamer is reporting that Ivory King has been delayed to the 30th. That's too bad.

Sweet, more time to play Wasteland 2 without worry then.

ilium

It looks like Eurogamer is reporting that Ivory King has been delayed to the 30th. That's too bad.

aww, was hoping to play this week :/

then again, i have an university exam on oct. 1st so thanks FROM for giving me more time to learn...

patch notes are avaible as well, but i haven't seen a translation yet.

What a bummer about the DLC delay, is there any news on when the patch or patch notes will hit? I'm assuming there are more balance changes coming along with the DLC download.

Hmmm was it officially delayed? I was quite looking forward to giving the DLC a playthrough in one go all together, sadness.

Here's the Eurogamer report.
That wrap around ad on that page that constantly cycles is the most distracting and annoying thing ever. Whoever thought that would be a good idea needs to be fired.

Danielsan

So I got back in the DS2 last week. Never played beyond The Undead Crypt and had to restart with a new character.

I see a lot of talk of builds being SL150. Is there a particular reason for this SL. What would be a reason to not progress beyond this SL?

ilium

So I got back in the DS2 last week. Never played beyond The Undead Crypt and had to restart with a new character.

I see a lot of talk of builds being SL150. Is there a particular reason for this SL. What would be a reason to not progress beyond this SL?

150 was the arbitrary meta level for the PvP crowd in the beginning. as you can see however this level is advocated by a very small minority.
200 is the new meta. if you aren't interested in organised fight clubs however, you can level up as much as you want because soul memory, not soul level is used for matchmaking.

dslevelf5lre.jpg

Danielsan

It's mostly just an agreed upon level for PVP, I think. You can exceed it if you don't bother much with PVP.

150 was the arbitrary meta level for the PvP crowd in the beginning. as you can see however this level is advocated by a very small minority.
200 is the new meta. if you aren't interested in organised fight clubs however, you can level up as much as you want because soul memory, not soul level is used for matchmaking.

dslevelf5lre.jpg
Thanks guys, good to know.

dslevelf5lre.jpg

Cool. Where did you get that bar graph?

Kings ultra greatsword has 450 damage S/D scaling.

Steel or drakekeepers.

You can use them if you want similar but lighter armor or have a burdening urge to dress up as a hollow mastodon.

Thank you for the help!

I really hate how miracles were nerfed in the last update. I used to carry a chime with me for a quick heal and a lightning spell but had to exchange it for some sorcery and a great homing arrow for the quick ranged option.

ilium

first rough patch translation from reddit

Releasing September 29 at 17:00
  • Fixing problem when Soul of Nadalia is not collected after defeating Fume Knight
  • Something about a shop getting new weapons after defeating Smelter Demon. (Majula chest weapon re-skins?)
  • Fixing issue where elevator mechanism won't start after the Iron rod is put in. Looks like you can remove it and put it back in again.
  • Fixing an issue where entering the Sihn fight with an NPC will cause him to not move.
  • Cant't understand this one, something about a progression block at Drangleic castle.
  • Fixing issue where Ancient Dragon would become hostile after assisting someone with a soapstone (I think)
  • Can't understand this one either. Something about the altar of amana not working.
  • Fixing issue where elevator in Drangleic castle won't work in multiplayer.
  • Something about a phenomenon in Shulva happening if the host leaves causing something to not move.
  • Fixing some non parryable attacks
  • Fixing a phenomenon where after being revived by Denial in online multiplayer, fall damage would not occur.
  • Something about a phenomenon that triggered spells not being synchronized.
  • Fixing Phenomenon where the "Wet state" of the character isn't correct while online
  • Fixing issue where player is stuck in the area between Drangleic catle and Shrine of Amana due to being invaded.
  • Fixing a hit issue with the 2 handed stronk attack of the Scythe class.
  • Fixing phenomenon where equipment that raises stats would also raise character Soul level.
  • Fixing hair clipping issue with "fast armor of sinners" (Penal armor?)
  • Fixing issue where blocking enemy weapons in "shield cross" stamina consumption does not change from 1 hand to 2 handed.
  • Fixing an issue where some 2 handed running attacks of certain axes would become 1 handed dash attacks.
  • Fixing phenomenon where Chaos blade would not be available. Penal set buff?
  • Looks like the rolling attack glitch is being fixed. (sorry oroboro... gotta play like us now)
  • Looks like daggers are getting nerfed is some way. (someone mentioned this already)
  • Something about a downward adjustment to parry on medium shield and "two handed small shield"
  • Adding Micheal Bay to the 2 handed Smelter Sword attacks. (increased explosions on smelter special?)

Top Bottom