• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

The Burnt King froze for both me and my housemate when we fought him. He just stood there and let us attack him repeatedly. Weird.
He shall be known as The Frozen King hereafter.
Nobody seems to be helping at the Cave of the Dead or Iron Passage anymore. They're the last things I have left to do. :(

I managed to fluke the Outskirts boss on the first try. Running along the wall to the right makes that area easy. I actually ended up liking it much more than I was expecting based on earlier impressions in this thread.
aren't there two NPCs there? If you're on Steam, in NG+ and in range of 18m SM I can lend a hand. I think 15m SM is still the highest tier, isn't it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Knew it lol, you should try a thorned greatsword out it's stronger by a smidge and pretty fun to use once you get the hang of the spears.
Hah yeah I was pissed that my faith toon got nerfed so bad, especially since he was the build I used in the Company of Champions. -_- I considered the Thorned sword, but I didn't really feel like wasting my petrified dragon bones on something that's only marginally better than what I have now. I don't care much for the spears. Can thorned greatsword be buffed with Sunlight Blade at least? Would that be stronger than the auto-buffed Defender?

Also, what would you recommend as a faith weapon with only moderate str and dex? I don't want ultra great sword or other big-ass weapons, something faster like claymores or lances. I also use a lightning infused Heide Lance and it's pretty good (especially when buffed), but the moveset sometimes suck on bosses because the hitbox is so narrow, I often whiff by like an inch. -_-

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He shall be known as The Frozen King hereafter.
aren't there two NPCs there? If you're on Steam, in NG+ and in range of 18m SM I can lend a hand. I think 15m SM is still the highest tier, isn't it?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm playing the 360 version.

I considered that, but I didn't really feel like wasting my petrified dragon bones on something that's only marginally better than what I have now. I don't care much for the spears. Can thorned greatsword be buffed with Sunlight Blade at least? Would that be stronger than the auto-buffed Defender?

Also, what would you recommend as a faith weapon with only moderate str and dex? I don't want ultra great sword or other big-ass weapons, something faster like claymores or lances. I also use a lightning infused Heide Lance and it's pretty good (especially when buffed), but the moveset sometimes suck on bosses because the hitbox is so narrow, I often whiff by like an inch. -_-
I have like 20 bones because of those shark trex things in the first DLC.

I wonder why the new greatswords in this DLC are held downwards instead of over the shoulder when you two-hand them.

screenshot_2014_10_04_12_38_36_0_by_realghostvids-d81hza7.jpg

It looks kind of awkward but also cool at the same time. When Dark Souls came out I was disappointed that all weapons were held upwards when two-handed instead of held at your side like in Demon's Souls.

JayEH

Just beat the final DLC. The setup for the last boss is quite the doozy and it strangely is best suited for co-op. I understand having a co-op optional boss but a co-op final boss? Weird.

And that thing you get for beating all the DLCs, oh man... who wouldn't ever use it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Smelter 2 is dealt with. Now all I have left is the damn Ganksquad.

Just beat the final DLC. The setup for the last boss is quite the doozy and it strangely is best suited for co-op. I understand having a co-op optional boss but a co-op final boss? Weird.

And that thing you get for beating all the DLCs, oh man... who wouldn't ever use it?

What thing do you get for beating all the DLC's? I didn't get anything...

Smelter 2 is dealt with. Now all I have left is the damn Ganksquad.

My sympathies.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thank you, Neo Human 0, whoever you are

Ganksquad dealt with. That's a wrap for DS2, I think. That was tough.

Ruuppa

What thing do you get for beating all the DLC's? I didn't get anything...

Go talk to Vendrick with all the Crowns, and he'll buff all of them to prevent you from going Hollow when dying as well as making you immune to Curse. Only works when you wear a Crown.

ilium

Go talk to Vendrick with all the Crowns, and he'll buff all of them to prevent you from going Hollow when dying as well as making you immune to Curse. Only works when you wear a Crown.

He enhances all crowns?? Huh, and i was bummed out because i thought he only enhances his crown. Because it looks stupid on my char without hair >>

Very cool. Almost game breaking, but at that point, who cares. Free's up a ring slot for folks that like to cycle through Ring's of Protection. I was kind of hoping there was something more to the crowns, like maybe having a chamber somewhere and you have to place all 4 crowns to open a new area or unlock something special. Oh well, this is still a cool perk.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good 2H build and weapon guys? Link?

Mistel

Banned
Something with say a mace, archdrake mace, drakekeeper's warpick, drangleic sword, mastodon greastsword, grand lance, and gargoyle bident. Other than the drangleic sword which is DEX orientated with C STR scaling to up the damage all of those are pretty decent STR weapons.

Basicailly you want high STR, minimum required DEX(if not going drangleic), agility between 100-110, high VIG, high END pretty much nothing really difficult.
Hah yeah I was pissed that my faith toon got nerfed so bad, especially since he was the build I used in the Company of Champions. -_- I considered the Thorned sword, but I didn't really feel like wasting my petrified dragon bones on something that's only marginally better than what I have now. I don't care much for the spears. Can thorned greatsword be buffed with Sunlight Blade at least? Would that be stronger than the auto-buffed Defender?

Pretty sure thorned can be buffed by sunlight blade. If uninfused it would be stronger as it's got higher physical and better scaling C/C/C and the same lightning amount as defenders.

Infused its got less lightning damage but still more physical and better scaling than a defenders so that's probably a smidge closer to the thorned being stronger than defenders. As although sunlight boost lightning damage thorned still has the edge for physical and scaling an to me would likely be doing the more damage than defenders.

As for a FTH weapon with moderate STR/DEX an archdrake mace a greathammer with the halberd moveset deals strike damage 175/175 split at max infused with lightning infused with B/E/B scaling. Only need 20/16 to use it and the same weight 6.0 units as your standard mace would.
I respecced to use a Dark Crypt Blacksword +5. Have 50 str and 30 int, 50 FTH. I also buff with Sacred Oath and resonant weapon. Dark doesn't seem to scale much more with pumping int up so not sure what would give more damage.
Up your INT as that's what its scaling of as it's lower that will give you more damage.

ElTopo

Banned

Curved Dragon Greatsword and Red Iron Twinblade are really good. The greatsword has a fireball if you use the hard attack but it consumes TONS of durability. The damage on both are fantastic and the Twinblade is really good for PVP as well.

What's up with people summoning you and then sending you back?

Also Grand Cathedral boss, I'm getting such a low rate of summon. I'm on SM 1.6m, are most other people outside of this band or something?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What should I infuse my nil greatsword with? I'm a faith build but I could also go fire. Also what INT/FTH stat should I aim for on a dark melee build?

Also Chariot Lance or Grand Lance?

I re-jiggered a Hex build I used ages ago and turned it into something I'm really enjoying:

screenshot_2014_10_04_22_12_44_0_by_realghostvids-d81jbhn.jpg

Drakekeeper's Greataxe (aka the best greataxe) and the Pilgrim's Spontoon for buffing, casting Dark Orb, and sneaky pokes when no one is looking. I've also got Caitha's Chime in the second right-hand slot for some Hexes that'll help me if I get ganked (Scraps of Life and Lifedrain Patch) as well as a shield in the second left-hand slot in case everything starts going to shit. It also has Flynn's ring and Ring of Blades +2, so the damage on the axe with Dark Weapon is alarmingly good.

Hypron

I finally managed to kill the optional bosses of the third DLC. I spent about 3 hours coop-ing to learn all the paterns and get comfortable two-handing my weapon against those
tigers
. After that I killed them solo on my fourth try. A greatsword +10 infused fire proved to be quite helpful. Those electric
reindeer
were a pretty major pain in the ass though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pretty sure thorned can be buffed by sunlight blade. If uninfused it would be stronger as it's got higher physical and better scaling C/C/C and the same lightning amount as defenders.

Infused its got less lightning damage but still more physical and better scaling than a defenders so that's probably a smidge closer to the thorned being stronger than defenders. As although sunlight boost lightning damage thorned still has the edge for physical and scaling an to me would likely be doing the more damage than defenders.
Interesting, thanks. So Thorned should be uninfused? That's weird. I was guessing it'd be stronger at, say, 50 faith with an infusion, especially if buffed with SLB and with the lightning clutch ring?

Guess I should spend those bones and try it, hah.

As for a FTH weapon with moderate STR/DEX an archdrake mace a greathammer with the halberd moveset deals strike damage 175/175 split at max infused with lightning infused with B/E/B scaling. Only need 20/16 to use it and the same weight 6.0 units as your standard mace would.
Up your INT as that's what its scaling of as it's lower that will give you more damage.
Oh, interesting. Strike damage is always good. And it's much lighter than Defenders too. Cheers.

JustinBB7

Looks like I completely despawned the Loyce knights, so only way to get it now is to co-op on my super high soul memory to get the last 25.. great.

Mistel

Banned
Drakekeeper's Greataxe (aka the best greataxe)
That's got the sweet spot issue quite severely but a nice moveset at 50/50 it's the second strongest behind the Gyrm greataxe which doesn't have the sweet spot issue and a faster version of the greatsword moveset.
What should I infuse my nil greatsword with? I'm a faith build but I could also go fire. Also what INT/FTH stat should I aim for on a dark melee build?

Also Chariot Lance or Grand Lance?
For INT/FTH 60/60, Nil greatsword gains S scaling in that respective element other than enchanted which is an A. So go with which ever one suits you if you're going HEX then dark would work well.

As for lances grand preferably it's longer and lighter although the rampart golem one might be worth it if you're going STR/INT it's got A STR scaling at max with C for INT. Heide or grand are probably the best of them chariot is alright but really lacks on versatility.
Interesting, thanks. So Thorned should be uninfused? That's weird. I was guessing it'd be stronger at, say, 50 faith with an infusion, especially if buffed with SLB and with the lightning clutch ring?
That's not what I said I said thorned greatsword at max uninfused is stronger than a maxed uninfused defenders. Thorned uninfused has the same lightning damage at max as an uninfused defenders which is 80. Thorned is stronger physically at 210 with the better scaling for STR/DEX.

The infusion raises thorned lightnig damage to 112 and gives it B FTH scaling. That coupled with sunlight, lightning clutch and blades +2 would be stronger than a defenders would be. It's still got the higher physical damage than the defender and better scaling even when infused.

Ruuppa

What's up with people summoning you and then sending you back?

Also Grand Cathedral boss, I'm getting such a low rate of summon. I'm on SM 1.6m, are most other people outside of this band or something?

They're farming Loyce Souls, and in turn, helping their summons farm them as well. Considering you have a lot bigger chance of getting Loyce Souls to drop when you're a phantom, they're doing the community an extremely valuable service. They're good people.

I was at around 3mil when I got there, and had no problem summoning or getting summoned.

Mistel

Banned
Is it worth infusing to lighting?
Heide infused with lightning loses its B STR scaling and gains B FTH scaling and a fair bit of lightning damage. It's probably better to infuse it if you want more lightning damage and FTH scaling if no then normal should suffice. Thing to remember is that it unlike the grand lance or rampart lance it's thrust only not thrust/strike.

Mistel

Banned
is it worth it to infused sanctum mace with poison?
Sort of you can infuse it so you get a higher base poison but you loose a lot of physical damage and scaling. It might be more worthwhile to keep it uninfused and use to rat ring and sanctum gauntlets to boost poison instead.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sort of you can infuse it so you get a higher base poison but you loose a lot of physical damage and scaling. It might be more worthwhile to keep it uninfused and use to rat ring and sanctum gauntlets to boost poison instead.

You can also you rotten pine then too, right?

Sothpaw

I killed the two cats! Did it first try after I despawned all of the reindeer. I used the two NPC summons; they make the second cat join the fight super early but they still are a massive help. Should I bother with getting the 50 knight souls? There a final achievement or something? Really happy that I have "fully" completed all of the Souls games and can't wait for Bloodborne.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I killed the two cats! Did it first try after I despawned all of the reindeer. I used the two NPC summons; they make the second cat join the fight super early but they still are a massive help. Should I bother with getting the 50 knight souls? There a final achievement or something? Really happy that I have "fully" completed all of the Souls games and can't wait for Bloodborne.

If you want the loyce and boss armor sets and the oracle soul without murdering her, yes.

NEO0MJ

I don't know if I have the patience to collect 50 loyce souls, as much as I want the rewards. I have a bit over half that amount but have been having troubles being summoned.

Sothpaw

I don't know if I have the patience to collect 50 loyce souls, as much as I want the rewards. I have a bit over half that amount but have been having troubles being summoned.

The rewards don't seem particularly special to me. Nothing like having the crowns prevent hollowing, which I absolutely love. Frees up a ring slot due to no more ring of binding and no more human effigies needed.

Attention Dark Souls II Crown of the Ivory King players!
We have discovered a bug that affects the Sin levels of players inappropriately after a particular boss encounter in the Crown of the Ivory King DLC. This bug will be fixed with the next patch and we will explore resetting Sin levels accordingly. Stay tuned for further information on the upcoming patch. Thank you for your understanding!

That explains that mystery.
I wouldn't really say the crowns are gamebreaking Ring of Binding already existed and made it so you only lose up to 25% of max heath. Imagine if they also caused you to not lose your souls though, infinite Ring of Protection!

They're farming Loyce Souls, and in turn, helping their summons farm them as well. Considering you have a lot bigger chance of getting Loyce Souls to drop when you're a phantom, they're doing the community an extremely valuable service. They're good people.

I was at around 3mil when I got there, and had no problem summoning or getting summoned.

But... We got sent back at the bonfire!

JayEH

Just beat new game plus and doing some clean up now. I've only played through DS1, two times (both NG) and I still think it's the better game but I like playing DS2 more. Maybe it's because I find it easier lol.

I wonder why the new greatswords in this DLC are held downwards instead of over the shoulder when you two-hand them.

screenshot_2014_10_04_12_38_36_0_by_realghostvids-d81hza7.jpg

What weapon is this?

Ruuppa

But... We got sent back at the bonfire!

As long as you pick up the Loyce Knight drops, it hardly matters. If you're actually interested in helping people beat the boss, and *not* farm the Souls, then it can get annoying. He's not a great boss for co-op for other purposes than getting the Souls, 'cos of the mechanics involved in the quest. If you just want to help people beat bosses, I'd suggest doing Aava or the Outskirts instead.
What weapon is this?
Loyce Greatsword.

As long as you pick up the Loyce Knight drops, it hardly matters. If you're actually interested in helping people beat the boss, and *not* farm the Souls, then it can get annoying. He's not a great boss for co-op for other purposes than getting the Souls, 'cos of the mechanics involved in the quest. If you just want to help people beat bosses, I'd suggest doing Aava or the Outskirts instead.

Loyce Greatsword.

We never entered the fog gate... He summoned us, and sent us home in the space of 30 seconds. Like he was... Trolling us?

We never entered the fog gate... He summoned us, and sent us home in the space of 30 seconds. Like he was... Trolling us?

Maybe there was an invader, and after he summoned you the invader saw the -summoning phantom- and was like fuck this shit and black crystaled out and since the invader was gone the host no longer required back-up.

Also I thinkif you summon someone and black crystal them out the boss still gets the health and defense boost. I've never really tested it out to see if it does indeed work, but if that is the case maybe he wanted to make the boss a bit more difficult without the use of BAs.

Mistel

Banned
Also I thinkif you summon someone and black crystal them out the boss still gets the health and defense boost.I've never really tested it out to see if it does indeed work, but if that is the case maybe he wanted to make the boss a bit more difficult without the use of BAs.
It doesn't. If they wanted that why not use champions instead?

Maybe there was an invader, and after he summoned you the invader saw the -summoning phantom- and was like fuck this shit and black crystaled out and since the invader was gone the host no longer required back-up.

Also I thinkif you summon someone and black crystal them out the boss still gets the health and defense boost. I've never really tested it out to see if it does indeed work, but if that is the case maybe he wanted to make the boss a bit more difficult without the use of BAs.

Oh the invader thing might make sense. On another occasion today it was 3 vs 1, and they just ran off side rather than fight lol.

I got invaded earlier and wasn't allowed to summon ;_; managed fine though!

Top Bottom