• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

After Brodenting on the GrAve of Saints I had 20+ Lockstones. After activating every device in Doors of Pharros, only one remained. God damn, that was expensive. I hope the fun I get from trolling intruders is worth it. So far four have been summoned and none have stood a chance. In Grave of Saints being a Brodent at least seemed to require a modicum of skill. Here, it seems impossible for the summoned player to win, unless the Rat Bro is a sitting duck.

Really? The one I bought from a merchant carried over.
Are you sure? Maybe you just picked up another one really early.

It's part of my early game now to go down to the Gutter first thing and grab the one there so I can open up Shaded Woods/DoP/Brightside path asap.

LiK

Are you sure? Maybe you just picked up another one really early.

It's part of my early game now to go down to the Gutter first thing and grab the one there so I can open up Shaded Woods/DoP/Brightside path asap.

I'm pretty sure. I used them all up and bought one for the road for NG+. Used it for Straid asap when I got back to him. I didn't pick up another one until I got to Harvest Valley.

You can hide as a grey there's places your pretty much safe.

If that's true, no one I have summoned gets to reach those spots. I wait on the island near the start, do the Welcome gesture as they spawn and then trap them in between myself, mammoth warriors, gyrm warriors and dog rats. Within a minute I wave them farewell.

E92 M3

After Brodenting on the GrAve of Saints I had 20+ Lockstones. After activating every device in Doors of Pharros, only one remained. God damn, that was expensive. I hope the fun I get from trolling intruders is worth it. So far four have been summoned and none have stood a chance. In Grave of Saints being a Brodent at least seemed to require a modicum of skill. Here, it seems impossible for the summoned player to win, unless the Rat Bro is a sitting duck.

I just stand in one place or don't participate until the rat bro gets bored and comes down lol.

LiK

I just stand in one place or don't participate until the rat bro gets bored and comes down lol.

I was invaded by two guys in Belfry Sol and had a good duel with one. The other one sorta went back and forth until he went to the roof and wanted to bait me into climbing the ladder. I didn't bother and he tried sniping. I got him down to very little health and eventual I just turtles and waited for him to come down. He simply left. Haha

Jaeger

Just got 25 Awestones. Farming them from Rhoy (Grave of Saints), and Archer Guthry (Pharros). What other NPC phantoms can be taken advantage of? Trying to avoid upping the difficulty anymore with Bonfire Ascetics.

Mistel

Banned
If that's true, no one I have summoned gets to reach those spots. I wait on the island near the start, do the Welcome gesture as they spawn and then trap them in between myself, mammoth warriors, gyrm warriors and dog rats. Within a minute I wave them farewell.
One of them is wedging yourself into the corner that has Gyrm's respite bonfire your not targeted unless you move out of that corner. Just equip a great shield and your fine.

Alric

Just got 25 Awestones. Farming them from Rhoy (Grave of Saints), and Archer Guthry (Pharros). What other NPC phantoms can be taken advantage of? Trying to avoid upping the difficulty anymore with Bonfire Ascetics.

Those were the two I did. Yeah, had to up rhoy to 3 with bonfire aesthetics and guthry to 2. Actually maybe Rhoy was 4, don't remember now.

Jaeger

Those were the two I did. Yeah, had to up rhoy to 3 with bonfire aesthetics and guthry to 2. Actually maybe Rhoy was 4, don't remember now.

Just found another, although I don't know yet if she respawns. Melinda the Butcher in the Gutter. One arrow, and she went right off a bridge. lol

Field

Question about NG+ , When I begin NG+ I guess I wont be able to buy the stones I have unlocked from Stone Trader Chloanne?

GulAtiCa

Got my Hex character up several levels yesterday. Now at level 100 or so with SM of like 750K. Really liking this hex play. Need to get the remaining Dark/Hex spells. I now have my Int/Faith at 30, so my Dark Bonus has reached it's soft cap, so I'll focus on other stats for now.

zma1013

It's more fun to sit up top watching and laughing like some evil villain as they try to make their way up to you through all the traps and whatnot. What you're doing there is essentially making all those trap unlocks pointless if you just kill them right away.

It's more fun to sit up top watching and laughing like some evil villain as they try to make their way up to you through all the traps and whatnot. What you're doing there is essentially making all those trap unlocks pointless if you just kill them right away.

Yeah, now that I have killed enough people to max out the covenant and don't really need to worry about the consequences should the monsters stop respawning, I'll give this a go.

GulAtiCa

I think I'm going to try to respec my my 2nd Miracle character into a pure Pyro character. Don't like the idea of having a character that is identical to my main for most part. lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I went up against the Keep for the first time last night. As a pure melee character who has used an upgraded fire longsword for most of the game, it was truly hell. It seriously felt like I was running full speed into a brick wall wearing glass armor.

Fucking Alone Knights, especially those magic sword ones, gang bang the shit out of me. Got invaded at least 3 times when trying to retrieve bloodstains much to my dismay. Smelter took at least 8 tries to beat and I eventually just ended up kiting and throwing holy water flasks at him with Lucatiel (who is surprisingly good at this fight when she bothers to actually fucking step into the room). Also that last bit with the gauntlet of traps and mother fucking TURTLE KNIGHTS. Never had a problem with these guys before now, but they have officially earned the title of giant assholes.

O.I.K wasn't too hard once I figured out what to do, reminded me of the boss that drops the fire ring in Demon Ruins. That pool and his bullshit magic laser still killed me at least four times though.

It wasn't all bad though, as I did finish and ended up picking up a blacksteel katana and the dull ember. I didn't hesitate to bring the katana to +10 and imbue it with lightning and it wrecks the knights now. My question now is, where is a good place to throw my sign down to get some souls? Currently SL 89, not sure if I am over or underleveled for where I'm at.

Heh, even when I stay out of the welcoming committee, none of the trespassers even gets past the very first area. I'm surprised I can even summon people at all. The area seems to be entirely optional. Is there any reason to go through it at all, other than to get to the Rat King?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I recently bought the Alva set and was disappointed to find that only the chest had a really good protection/weight ratio due to the scaling. Otherwise, my Drangleic armor is better and not that much heavier. I've been playing with my weight burden between 60% and 69%. Is there any benefit to going all Alva to reduce weight or does it not really matter as long as I'm under 70%?

LiK

Groups can be taken out quickly with a demon great hammer one heavy swing and they're dead.

Not everyone is a STR build. :)

They went way too far fixing Lucatiel and Benhart, they made them fucking indestructible now, wow

Luca maybe, but Bernhardt can still get dangerously close to death if you don't take out the bosses quickly enough. He doesn't block like Luca, from my experience.

I recently bought the Alva set and was disappointed to find that only the chest had a really good protection/weight ratio due to the scaling. Otherwise, my Drangleic armor is better and not that much heavier. I've been playing with my weight burden between 60% and 69%. Is there any benefit to going all Alva to reduce weight or does it not really matter as long as I'm under 70%?

You'll roll slightly slower and shorter distances the higher your weight is. It's much more subtle than the previous game.

Finalow

finally got the platinum.

1016.gif

d0nd

Heh, even when I stay out of the welcoming committee, none of the trespassers even gets past the very first area. I'm surprised I can even summon people at all. The area seems to be entirely optional. Is there any reason to go through it at all, other than to get to the Rat King?

first time i entered that area it was a surprise and i was slaughtered lol

magic users are so squishy (meaning me)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You'll roll slightly slower and shorter distances the higher your weight is. It's much more subtle than the previous game.

I thought I might have read that somewhere but couldn't remember. I'll have to experiment with being lighter then, because getting hit seems to really hurt regardless of armor.

So, given that roll distance and speed are graded rather than binary in DS2, is it correct to assume that, for a melee build, VIT is a very important stat regardless of whether you want to wear medium or heavy armor?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I use Alva chest armor upgraded, partially because it helps me stay under <50% burden and partially because fashion souls. It looks awesome with Heide Knight helm.
finally got the platinum.
Congratulations!
Alonne Knights and Captains have high fire resistance... Other than that they aren't an issue at all.
Yep. At the end of my post I explained I switched to a lightning infused weapon (instead of fire) and now they're a piece of cake. Also I always pull them one at a time now with a bow.

LiK

I thought I might have read that somewhere but couldn't remember. I'll have to experiment with being lighter then, because getting hit seems to really hurt regardless of armor.

So, given that roll distance and speed are graded rather than binary in DS2, is it correct to assume that, for a melee build, VIT is a very important stat regardless of whether you want to wear medium or heavy armor?

Yea, definitely level up VIT.

Hupsel

Why do I face people in PvP that dress robes from the XVIII century showing cleavage and I hit them with my Murakumo+10 and they only lose like 10hp? Then they hit me with a couple of attacks and Im almost dead even with the looking glass armor upgraded?

mattp

roll distance slightly increases the lower your equip burden is

also, the alva set looks cool haha

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yea, definitely level up VIT.

Oh I have been. I'm just preparing for starting from scratch when the PC version hits and I want to make more informed choices this time around. Not looking forward to abandoning 25 hours of PS3 progress, but I am looking forward to replaying the early game with more knowledge and skill. Should go much quicker.

Thanks for the tips!

roll distance slightly increases the lower your equip burden is

also, the alva set looks cool haha

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try it as a full set. I was just so shocked at how shitty I was at the game after beating DeS and DS1 without that much trouble, it scared me into rolling with the heaviest armor I could manage. On PC, with a good framerate and more responsive controls, hopefully I'll be much better at evading.

LiK

Oh I have been. I'm just preparing for starting from scratch when the PC version hits and I want to make more informed choices this time around. Not looking forward to abandoning 25 hours of PS3 progress, but I am looking forward to replaying the early game with more knowledge and skill. Should go much quicker.

Thanks for the tips!

You'll find the Soldier Ring which increases equip burden as well as some other rings and armor that also increases burden so they will help too if you need them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You'll find the Soldier Ring which increases equip burden as well as some other rings and armor that also increases burden so they will help too if you need them.

Got Soldier Ring a while ago, didn't know there were more items like that. Will keep an eye out.

Mistel

Banned
The only one that can get close to those two is Jester Thomas, the guy is a killing machine.
Him and Glencour seem to the be the most destructive of the phantoms you can summon. Glencour seems to be a royal soldier set mixed with heide knight torso armor so he looks quite nice too.
Pharos connects to brightsone tseldora which has a blacksmith in it.

Not everyone is a STR build. :)
I know... Can't stop the rock though.

LiK

Ancient Dragon, my character literally can't run fast enough to get out of the flame radius.

Is there a power up to run faster?

There is none. You need to keep track of your stamina and time the runs with when he begins to start flying. Took me a lot of tries to get it timed right.

Ancient Dragon, my character literally can't run fast enough to get out of the flame radius.

Is there a power up to run faster?

I would also reccomend doing it solo and taking off all armour. Since he kills in one shit anyways, the armor isn't going to do anything for you but slow you down.

If you fight him solo, you can stand maybe 20 feet in front of his head when he's on the ground, and bait out the forward fire breath, allowing you to run up, take a couple shots at his feet(or cast soul spear on that mofo like I did!) and then back up in front of his face again.

Being in that posisition does two things for you:
1)You can bait the normal flame attack
2) If you see him rearing to fly up, you're already far enough away to just keep booking it backwards to avoid the large AOE attack

E92 M3

Why do I face people in PvP that dress robes from the XVIII century showing cleavage and I hit them with my Murakumo+10 and they only lose like 10hp? Then they hit me with a couple of attacks and Im almost dead even with the looking glass armor upgraded?

Because #fashionsouls

Top Bottom