• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

LiK

Oooh they "haven't" patched it out. Misread the post.

Yeah I don't really think they'd change it so they would stop spawning on their own.

You could farm the stone soldiers in the castle infinitely as well. Chance to get a titanite slab too.

I gotta admit, I never got a single friggin' slab from them. I kept getting their damn armor/shields/weapons.

Ugh that damned Darklurker keeps destroying me. Even re-specced to be more focused on magic/pyromania. At around 30 for each INT and FTH, and still, once that guy splits into two, I'm done. :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ugh that damned Darklurker keeps destroying me. Even re-specced to be more focused on magic/pyromania. At around 30 for each INT and FTH, and still, once that guy splits into two, I'm done. :(

He gave me shit even using a pyro build. I eventually got him by stocking potions to refill spell uses and staying as far away as possible while spamming Flame Swathe. Since it's a bit random when he splits, I had to get lucky and get off a Flame Swathe that explodes just as they split. I drank potions when possible and shot off another Flame Swathe every time one of the lurkers paused to wind up for an attack. Then went back to roaming and watching for incoming shit.

He gave me shit even using a pyro build. I eventually got him by stocking potions to refill spell uses and staying as far away as possible while spamming Flame Swathe. Since it's a bit random when he splits, I had to get lucky and get off a Flame Swathe that explodes just as they split. I drank potions when possible and shot off another Flame Swathe every time one of the lurkers paused to wind up for an attack. Then went back to roaming and watching for incoming shit.

The thing that's ruining me is that dark orb attack thing. The range on it is ridiculous.

Dresden

The thing that's ruining me is that dark orb attack thing. The range on it is ridiculous.

It pops up two orbs: one you see, and one behind you. Sweep the cam around until you find the second orb, and start sprinting as soon as it starts to move. Jump at the last moment to clear it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Oooh they "haven't" patched it out. Misread the post.

Yeah I don't really think they'd change it so they would stop spawning on their own.

You could farm the stone soldiers in the castle infinitely as well. Chance to get a titanite slab too.

Its really fast in the crypt. Considering you dont have to use a bonfire to respawn anything in ten minutes you can be rolling like 150 k souls deep.

LiK

It pops up two orbs: one you see, and one behind you. Sweep the cam around until you find the second orb, and start sprinting as soon as it starts to move. Jump at the last moment to clear it.
yea, just run away. He's really not that hard. The phantoms in the Chasm were more of a pain.

Kai Dracon

Agreed, it's one of the worst boss attacks in the game. I ran a lot when he was preparing for it and performed a leap roll when the attack was about to land in order to try and let splash damage pass through the i-frames.

Grief.exe

I disagree with using this OT entirely for the PC release as well.

Much of the enjoyment from the Souls series comes from the exploration and discovering things on your own. Souls isn't a Halo or Call of Duty where there are really only story spoilers to worry about, even the mechanics need to be a fresh experience.

I know many people on the PC side share the same sentiments and, subsequently, we probably won't be participating in the discussion at all. Which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to discussing the experience with fellow GAFfers.

Hopefully we can petition the mods to reopen the PC OT.

Juraash

Haven't had a ton of time to play over the last week. But I did get to the crypt and poke around a bit. The look of that place is nothing like I expected. Normally crypts in games are all beat to shit with corpses falling out of their coffins or nooks or whatever. This place is totally the opposite and really great looking. It also gives me the creeps a little, which is something that I haven't really felt in this game yet. In DS1 I got that feeling in The Depths, Londo Ruins and the arena for Four Kings, so it's weirdly nice to have that Souls anxiety again.

Been going really slow in the game though, probably have about 125 hours in it so far and I'm still working through NG.

Since I don't have much progress to report, I thought I'd at least post my character.

soxEvVwl.jpg

For those that are curious, I rock Syan's Armor, Pursuer Greatsword and the regular old Tower Shield. I planned the character around Havel's (despite starting as a Sorc), but I just got tired of looking at that set after spending so much time with it in the first game.

Agreed, it's one of the worst boss attacks in the game. I ran a lot when he was preparing for it and performed a leap roll when the attack was about to land in order to try and let splash damage pass through the i-frames.

I'll try this strategy. I did the running part, but not the jumping at the end. Thanks for the advice, folks.

LiK

Much of the enjoyment from the Souls series comes from the exploration and discovering things on your own. Souls isn't a normal game series, its not a Halo or Call of Duty where there are really only story spoilers to worry about, even the mechanics need to be a fresh experience.

I know many people on the PC side share the same sentiments and, subsequently, we probably won't be participating in the discussion at all. Which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to participating in the discussion.

I agree, could you guys open that thread back up and make it a hype thread at least?

-MD-

Much of the enjoyment from the Souls series comes from the exploration and discovering things on your own. Souls isn't a Halo or Call of Duty where there are really only story spoilers to worry about, even the mechanics need to be a fresh experience.

I know many people on the PC side share the same sentiments and, subsequently, we probably won't be participating in the discussion at all. Which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to discussing the experience with fellow GAFfers.

Co-sign. Open the thread back up.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The bonfires being so close together kind of puts a damper on invasions. Half the time when I invade, dude just runs back to the bonfire. Killing suckas is less fulfilling when you know they only have to walk 5 feet to get their bloodstain, and thats if they're not wearing the stupid life protection ring.

I'm also starting to think that killing gankers in this game is literally impossible if they know the good ganker strats. If you spawn in a world with 3 gankers spamming magic at you then there really isn't much you can do. You can't keep them all on your screen at once so you can dodge the magic, and if you get tagged once then you lose at least half your life. And just wait until more of them figure out you can farm elizabeth mushrooms.

I agree, could you guys open that thread back up and make it a hype thread at least?

Co-sign. Open the thread back up.

petition the mods..heh, read the TOS mang..but all bs aside, I would love for them to change their minds!

The PC OT will be filled with Pc-centric technical issues, whining about not being able to do everything they want with the code, and modding questions, requests and links.

I would prefer they have their own OT if only to keep all that out of the console OT.

Sullichin

I can see both sides here. It was / is pretty confusing after Dark Souls PC came out that there were/are two sets of OTs being used for the game.

Maybe for a month they should be separate threads, and the next time a DS OT fills up, the next thread will be for both console and PC?

But anyway, yeah I think we've all loosened up on spoilers a little bit because we have a general idea of where everyone's at. I'll make a point to be more conservative with spoilers for the benefit of the PC only crowd.

Sullichin

petition the mods..heh, read the TOS mang..but all bs aside, I would love for them to change their minds!

The PC OT will be filled with Pc-centric technical issues, whining about not being able to do everything they want with the code, and modding questions, requests and links.

I would prefer they have their own OT if only to keep all that out of the console OT.

I'm quite sure there's going to be a DSII PC Performance thread. That stuff should go there. It will spill into the OT though

Scher

But anyway, yeah I think we've all loosened up on spoilers a little bit because we have a general idea of where everyone's at. I'll make a point to be more conservative with spoilers for the benefit of the PC only crowd.

This thread has been getting more and more lax about what is really considered a spoiler, which is understandable. I would certainly make the effort, as well, to be more conservative with spoilers, but I think it will be difficult to really get everyone back on track with spoilers. Also, like Noir said, there will probably be a host of PC related issues that people will want to discuss and deal with. This thread will probably be a mess for the PC release, so it would be nice to have a separate OT for at least that interim period where PC users are getting adjusted and beating the game and stuff.

GulAtiCa

gankers are the worst. I got summoned into a 2-party that tried to ambush me. So I quickly WotG on the host. hehehe
When dealing with gankers, I now tend to leave quickly.

Low level gankers are the worst of them all though. Having high level build with only 65k max souls is a bitch..

On that note:......................... If someone were to have two PS3s (360s), they could literally just create new characters, pass down their previous stuff to their new creations and start all over again within like 5 minutes. Perhaps even have a dedicated PVP guy earning red items in Blood duels. With that, you have a dedicated system to always stay low level and troll low level users...

Kai Dracon

If we can have two Game of Thrones OTs for book readers and TV viewers, I think a PC OT for Dark Souls is justified. Due to what has been said about the nature of the experience.

We are already heavily spoiler tagging even the locations of boss fights in this thread. PC people forced into here right now, will be in a minefield of information most players would want to discover on their own.

Sullichin

gankers are the worst. I got summoned into a 2-party that tried to ambush me. So I quickly WotG on the host. hehehe
When dealing with gankers, I now tend to leave quickly.

Low level gankers are the worst of them all though. Having high level build with only 65k max souls is a bitch..

On that note:......................... If someone were to have two PS3s (360s), they could literally just create new characters, pass down their previous stuff to their new creations and start all over again within like 5 minutes. Perhaps even have a dedicated PVP guy earning red items in Blood duels. With that, you have a dedicated system to always stay low level and troll low level users...

How are you high level with only 65k soul memory?

You could mule yourself in Demons/Dark 1 if you wanted, too. But I suppose it's a bigger deal because of soul memory

GulAtiCa

True. I've stopped spoiling locations, esp mid level very popular locations. I'll try to be more conservative with spoilers as well.

I'm quite sure there's going to be a DSII PC Performance thread. That stuff should go there. It will spill into the OT though

Forgot all about that..then I can't see why there should be a separate OT, doesn't help that most of the ones asking have already been following this OT.

GulAtiCa

How are you high level with only 65k soul memory?

You could mule yourself in Demons/Dark 1 if you wanted, too. But I suppose it's a bigger deal because of soul memory

I mean, having items,armor,weapons that normally be found late in the game and used very early on. Like having Chaos Storm, Moon Butterfly Set (requires 2 bonfire ascetic) etc with them.

Arjen

I've been cooping in Iron keep in NG+, but everyone seems to be skipping smelter and going straight to oik.

Garcia

The PC |OT| needs to exist (at least for the first 6 weeks past release date).

The level of discussion in this thread is extremely advanced. We're speaking of people already on NG+ and above.

Most people new to the game deserve to be 100% spoiler free. It was a painful wait for them and they should have a place to vent their excitement without indirectly spoiling themselves by reading some of the names of locations and characters/bosses being thrown around here.

+1 for the reopening of the PC thread.

antitrop

I sent duckroll a kindly worded PM. I really don't want to be involved in a thread where people have been playing the game for 6 weeks and are talking end-game shit. PC will be my first time playing the game, and everyone deserves a "fresh" Souls experience.

If anything, the console OT should be moved to Community and the PC OT reopened.

GulAtiCa

I've been cooping in Iron keep in NG+, but everyone seems to be skipping smelter and going straight to oik.

That weirdly happened to me yesterday. But in reverse fashion. I was the host, clearing out Iron Keep on first time with a newer character of mine in NG, and was clearing out the area before the 1st boss. One of the people with me must have gotten the wrong message and went on beyond the area till he finally came back. heh

Good point Sullichin, I'll try to start using spoiler tags again as well because of the PC folks

I don't think you should have to. In the grand scheme of things, spoiling locations by mentioning their name or what the level is about is silly. Yet Dark Souls fan are a different breed. I would think the mods could recognize that (seeing as how they're gamers and have probably played the Souls series) and realize how important a PC OT is to those of us who are waiting to play the PC version. Not only does the hardware necessitate different discussion (mods, performance tweaking, KB+M configuration, etc) but from a content standpoint, PC players want the same experience that console players had, the ability to discover a new game together. Where's the fun in discovering things together as community if everything I've found out has already been posted a month and half before? Does having two OTs really ruin NeoGAF for other people?

Garcia

Not only does the hardware necessitate different discussion (mods, performance tweaking, KB+M configuration, etc) but from a content standpoint, PC players want the same experience that console players had, the ability to discover a new game together. Where's the fun in discovering things together as community if everything I've found out has already been posted a month and half before? Does having two OTs really ruin NeoGAF for other people?

Those are the most important factors to consider.

I'm not understanding what argument you're even making here. "Even the mechanics need to be a fresh experience" seems to be the crux of the post, which would suggest you need to stay out of the thread in general, PC-only or not, until you're more comfortable reading about shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is Ancient Dragon the Bed of Chaos of Dark Souls 2?

Top Bottom