• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

PvP has been like half awesome and half terrible overall, but it was horrible earlier for me. Some guy with a greatsword was swinging and I was like 3 or 4 of his sword lengths away but still took the hits. I wished I was on PS4 so I could make a gif of it.

I fought a dude with a dagger and he's like swinging a sword the way I got hit. Few times it works in my favor though. I wish from can fix that.

Random thoughts... I wish from would remove the poise in PvP. Like if you enter a duel, your poise gets to zero. A lot just relies on out poising you to land a hit. If no one has poise then it could lead to a more strategic fights.

Do bonfire ascetics reset at the start of a NG+? Been trying to farm the Heide Knight set, and the armor won't drop for jack. Now I'm worried that I've screwed myself difficulty wise in NG+ lol.

Maybe I should have read the wiki first:
Important note: Please know that any ascetic you burn WILL carry on the next playthrough! If you want to farm souls using ascetics and then wish to go to NG+, the difficulty of the area will be the number of ascetics used MORE than NG+, for example,
if you use bonfire ascetic on your first playthrough on a bonfire, it will be NG+ level, when you go to your second playthrough it will stack and will become NG+2, be very careful as this may stop you from completing NG+.

Welp, I dun goofed. At least the areas I burned them don't have any nearby bosses, and I only burned at each twice. I guess Ill just wait to complete the set in NG+ :<

Maybe I should have read the wiki first:
Important note: Please know that any ascetic you burn WILL carry on the next playthrough! If you want to farm souls using ascetics and then wish to go to NG+, the difficulty of the area will be the number of ascetics used MORE than NG+, for example,
if you use bonfire ascetic on your first playthrough on a bonfire, it will be NG+ level, when you go to your second playthrough it will stack and will become NG+2, be very careful as this may stop you from completing NG+.

Welp, I dun goofed. At least the areas I burned them don't have any nearby bosses, and I only burned at each twice. I guess Ill just wait to complete the set in NG+ :<
"What is done cannot be undone" ;)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say that
Velstadt
is one seriously cool boss.

Boss spoilers:
aegis
noun: aegis; plural noun: aegises

the protection, backing, or support of a particular person or organization.

The lead up to the fog wall, knowing that something will be guarding the King's "resting place", but not knowing what...

Then it's just... this dude. Sitting quietly on his own, solemnly facing the direction of his old master.

A disturbance... A tiny, almost insignificant blip enters the room. A threat to the King.
The way it seems this guy's concentration is seemingly broken, the way he turns his head, is so amazingly well realised. I love the fact that you get a partial glimpse of his face as well. Many of the Souls bosses are pretty "faceless", so this felt interestingly placed.

Then he gets up and hefts that eff-off bell-end onto his shoulder like it was a leg of ham.
Man, I love simple, non-flashy intros like this. To me, they are one of the many awesome hallmarks of the Souls games. No fluff, no guff. We here. Let's get it on.

The actual fight itself was great as well. No gimmicks or anything, just you and Big V (and maybe a phantom). Not that I don't love a good gimmick here and there, mind you. I just found the presentation and style of this boss to fit very comfortably into the overall pacing, and get me pumped for what was to come next.

And hoo boy, was I not prepared for what came next.
This is the essence of Souls right here. When this game shines, it can often match and even outdo its predecessor in many ways.

Just wanted to say that
Velstadt
Great read. Agree 100%.

I also love the fact the he looks
like Garl Vinland. Helmet, hammer...
Velstadt protects Vendrick, a once noble individual turned to dark and driven mad.
Garl Vinland protects his beloved Maiden Astraea, also driven to madness and decay.

Great Dark to Demon's homage, IMHO.

Persona7

Banned
iron keep + summoning invaders is so good

tytEcBi.gif

E92 M3

Got the platinum yesterday evening and I really have to say that the game surprised me positively. Normally when I'm hyped for a game it always disappoints me somehow. Dark Souls 2 however, was for sure the best game I've played in years. I even liked A LOT the pvp and I normally am not a fan of those competitive things.
Many of the new gameplay mechanics, like the Bonfire Ascetics and the capability respec the character, widen enormously the depth of the game too.

Not many times I'm still willing to play a game after I got the platinum on it but in DS2 I have so many things left to do. Outstanding game.

I agree this is keeping mw away from Titanfall and that's one of the best shooters in years.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Great read. Agree 100%.

I also love the fact the he looks
like Garl Vinland. Helmet, hammer...
Velstadt protects Vendrick, a once noble individual turned to dark and driven mad.
Garl Vinland protects his beloved Maiden Astraea, also driven to madness and decay.

Great Dark to Demon's homage, IMHO.

You are right. Best boss in DS2, so cool!

Yes! Damn, I didn't peg that reference but it certainly seems on the money.

*Weird yet profound manlove for these characters increases*
*Praising intensifies*

derwalde

9 of 10 times im getting invaded, its by blue phantoms (NG+). 9 of 10 times blue phantoms dont know how to pvp at all. everytime im seeing a blue phantom im like "ok this is a win". WHERE ARE MY RED PHANTOM BROS?

Cyborg

I have a question:

Ive raised my INT to 53 but I have doubts about this. I dont find the Soul Arrouw very affactive. It seems Lighting (FTH build) is much more powerful.

Is this true, should I use a Soule Vessel?

E92 M3

9 of 10 times im getting invaded, its by blue phantoms (NG+). 9 of 10 times blue phantoms dont know how to pvp at all. everytime im seeing a blue phantom im like "ok this is a win". WHERE ARE MY RED PHANTOM BROS?

I invaded all evening yesterday as a red bro lol.

demidar

Making Red Eye Orbs so expensive is really killing invasions. I've barely been invaded despite constantly wearing the Delicate String.

Hayabusi

Stupid question probably, but anyway:

If I have a sword that makes 100 dmg and 100 fire dmg it is better than a weapon that makes 190 dmg and no elemental, right?

I have a question:

Ive raised my INT to 53 but I have doubts about this. I dont find the Soul Arrouw very affactive. It seems Lighting (FTH build) is much more powerful.

Is this true, should I use a Soule Vessel?
My first character was sorcery and there's lots of spells but I just stuck to the strongest soul arrows as some of the others seemed unpredictable in how much damage they would do as they wouldn't always fully connect with an enemy (this was purely PvE, my first playthrough was 100% offline). But on my second character I went cleric and whilst you're limited to various lighting spears and emit force for your offense, I found them to be much more effective and I had a better time with miracles than magic - although I plan on going back to magic at some point, since that was my first run and it was just harder overall. YMMV. Miracles seem super OP this time, for a boss like
Darklurker
, I don't think I've ever died to it even on NG++ - just by blasting off great lightning spears.

I wouldn't go chucking too many lightning spears at invaders though, in terms of spells - offensive (long range) miracles seem the most limiting for PvP, although emit force is surprisingly effective and can hit hard. Buff miracles are good and chimes are more fun to me than talismans just because of the jingle-jangle when you use them! Hexes are also an option (split INT/FTH spells, equivalent of dark magic in DS1), I respeced my first dude to a hexer and I thought they were meh, but I honestly didn't play too much with them, I see them A LOT in PvP - the most common form of magic in fact.

Soulhouf

Just wanted to say that
Velstadt

Boss spoilers:
aegis
noun: aegis; plural noun: aegises

the protection, backing, or support of a particular person or organization.

The lead up to the fog wall, knowing that something will be guarding the King's "resting place", but not knowing what...

Then it's just... this dude. Sitting quietly on his own, solemnly facing the direction of his old master.

A disturbance... A tiny, almost insignificant blip enters the room. A threat to the King.
The way it seems this guy's concentration is seemingly broken, the way he turns his head, is so amazingly well realised. I love the fact that you get a partial glimpse of his face as well. Many of the Souls bosses are pretty "faceless", so this felt interestingly placed.

Then he gets up and hefts that eff-off bell-end onto his shoulder like it was a leg of ham.
Man, I love simple, non-flashy intros like this. To me, they are one of the many awesome hallmarks of the Souls games. No fluff, no guff. We here. Let's get it on.

The actual fight itself was great as well. No gimmicks or anything, just you and Big V (and maybe a phantom). Not that I don't love a good gimmick here and there, mind you. I just found the presentation and style of this boss to fit very comfortably into the overall pacing, and get me pumped for what was to come next.

And hoo boy, was I not prepared for what came next.
This is the essence of Souls right here. When this game shines, it can often match and even outdo its predecessor in many ways.

I agree 100% with your post. That part is my favorite as well and I think even that it's better than any other moment in Dark Souls.
As others said the reference to Garl is awesome.
I really wish there were more of these "pure Souls" moments in the game. Unfortunately the game fluctuates a lot in term of quality but unlike DS1 they kept the best for the second part.

Mistel

Banned

If I have a sword that makes 100 dmg and 100 fire dmg it is better than a weapon that makes 190 dmg and no elemental, right?
It's got reduced scaling and has to pass through two types of defense. So not really depending on the weapon.

Septimius

I fought a dude with a dagger and he's like swinging a sword the way I got hit. Few times it works in my favor though. I wish from can fix that.

Random thoughts... I wish from would remove the poise in PvP. Like if you enter a duel, your poise gets to zero. A lot just relies on out poising you to land a hit. If no one has poise then it could lead to a more strategic fights.

Zero poise would defeat heavy weapons. Get a dagger and stun lock everyone. It wouldn't work at all.

Making Red Eye Orbs so expensive is really killing invasions. I've barely been invaded despite constantly wearing the Delicate String.

I am really dumbfounded as to why there is no Red Eye Orb in this game. Making invasions a scarce commodity merely kills invasions. I think I've been invaded once. It's completely stupid.

This is a complex topic. The basis of what you need to know is that defense negates damage. If your sword does 100/100, it's up against two defense stats. Let's oversimplify this, and say that someone's defense will negate 50 damage in physical and fire. That means 100/100 becomes 50/50, and your weapon does a total of 100 damage. Your 190 damage weapon on the other hand does 190 - 50 = 140 damage. What then if defense only negates 20 damage? then it becomes 80 + 80 = 160 and 190 - 20 = 170.

160 or 170 is what I'd equate 100/100 to. 190 is better than 100/100. Against enemies with high defense, a single damage stat is superior. If an enemy has high defense, it'll basically have your weapon do very little of each damage, since if you imagine that 200 defense is up against 100 attack, probably something like 20 damage will end up going through, giving you 40 damage total if you use two damage types. A single damage-type of 170 will likely grant you 60 damage. But that's why it's complex, because an enemy might be heavily armored, meaning high physical defense, but it might have crappy fire defense. Then you'd do more damage. So.. It's extremely situational. A single damage type is more consistent, though, but if you meet a low-armored enemy that's weak to fire, the fire weapon will destroy it.

You can freely go through the game assuming an infused weapon is the same as a normal weapon. So a +10 Flame Uchigatana I'd consider equally good as a +10 Uchigatana. However, if you're a high int build, then you'd go magic, so the int stat scaling benefits you. If you go faith, go lightning. If you're high faith and int, go dark or flame. If all your stats are equal, go mundane. If you're a low level character, go raw.

Finalow

We should come up with a location to always go to so we're likely to run into eachother.

Maybe somewhere near the soldier's rest bonfire? Easily accessible, and it's an optional dead end.
it would be nice but I think we need a thread for that. can't really do it here.

Finalow

I am really dumbfounded as to why there is no Red Eye Orb in this game. Making invasions a scarce commodity merely kills invasions. I think I've been invaded once. It's completely stupid.
invasione are way more common in ng+, ++ etc.
the reason is that you need to win duels in order to get red or blue cracked eye orbs, or you could buy them for 10k each which is a lot. still, yeah, it sucks. I guess they wanted to 'force' people to do duels if they wanted to invade.

No. Enemies, just like players have resistances to different elements. With some enemies that weapon might be more effective, with some it won't. There's no clear-cut answer.

You should use a weapon you feel comfortable with using due to its moveset, range, or poise-breaking. Damage is relevant, but much less so than how well you can feel you can use a weapon in my opinion.

Soulhouf

Zero poise would defeat heavy weapons. Get a dagger and stun lock everyone. It wouldn't work at all.

Heavy weapons in Demon's Souls have what we call Hyperarmor. You basically can't be interrupted when you make some attacks with heavy weapons.
I quite prefer that to poise which has been introduced in Dark Souls.

Shinjica

I am really dumbfounded as to why there is no Red Eye Orb in this game. Making invasions a scarce commodity merely kills invasions. I think I've been invaded once. It's completely stupid..

My opinion is that they remove red eye Orb so people wont get annoyed by invasion in NG.
I'm pretty sure was a big (stupid in my opinion) complain in the first DK.

The price when you want a bigger audience.

Soulhouf

My opinion is that they remove red eye Orb so people wont get annoyed by invasion in NG.
I'm pretty sure was a big (stupid in my opinion) complain in the first DK.

The price when you want a bigger audience.

They could apply the same rules as in DkS1, aka you can't be invaded when hollow/boss dead.
You don't want to be invaded? Stay hollow.

The way it's working now on DkS2 is stupid. I got invaded a lot in NG (99% by Japanese players, I guess because I have the JP version) to the point where it got really annoying because I couldn't go to the blacksmith or a merchant without being invaded despite being hollow and the boss of the area dead.

demidar

They could apply the same rules as in DkS1, aka you can't be invaded when hollow/boss dead.

The way it's working now on DkS2 is stupid. I got invaded a lot in NG (99% by Japanese players, I guess because I have the JP version) to the point where it got really annoying because I couldn't go to the blacksmith or a merchant without being invaded despite being hollow and the boss of the area dead.

Tangential to your point, I would love if the game had a dynamic Red Phantom AI system for people who played offline. Every time you enter an area, there's a chance a Red Phantom NPC would invade, whose equipment, spells and AI are randomized. The chance to invade would increase the longer you go without being invaded and their strength would be based on the player's SL.

bobawesome

Just met an awesome Sunbro who helped me with
Old Iron King
and I helped him in return. So this is the joy of jolly cooperation.

Shinjica

Miyazaki told in an interview that not getting invaded in DkS1 was a mistake.
Secondly, if you dont want to get invaded you can simply play offline.

Facism

it's always a pleasure in Souls games to summon/get summoned by the same players across a range of bosses during a playthrough. The way multiplayer works in Souls games makes these occurrences special.

LiK

My only gripe with summoning is they should keep the "Summoning Phantom" alert up until the phantoms arrive. You sometimes just sit there and hope it doesn't error out.

I am glad they made the controller rumble whenever a coop guy arrives.

Jaeger

It's like any other covenant. Just abandon it with the cat or join another covenant.

Awesome. Thx. When I join I'll farm my Awestones, and get out quick. lol

EDIT - One more question, it states that the Vanquisher's Seal increases bare handed attack power. So that means it won't work in tandem with my Caestus?

demidar

Awesome. Thx. When I join I'll farm my Awestones, and get out quick. lol

EDIT - One more question, it states that the Vanquisher's Seal increases bare handed attack power. So that means it won't work in tandem with my Caestus?

Nope, it doesn't apply to caestuses.

I want to try everything I haven't so far - so my new character is going to be dual wielding, maybe mundane build(?), and I want to join the company of champions at some point.

ADP is still a mystery to me since I didn't put any points into it at all on my last character that I took all the way to NG++, it was base for clerics at 4 I think. Now people have had the game a while what are the thoughts on this stat and how far should I be looking at levelling it up considering I want to go dual wielding? I'm completely clueless about it.

Respect

Wow, FU
Dual Pursuers.
I'm mainly melee focused and figured the fight would give me some trouble, but damn, that was truly an exercise in patience for me.

Pryor

Sooo I am currently nearly finished with my first playthrough and I am thinking about builds. I have played around with hybrid builds for the most part. A little magic here, some pyro there but settled in the end mainly for a melee/faith build. The latter has been the most fun but now before I make the final push into NG+ I am thinking on going for a 40/40 quality build.

Just wondering what the general feeling is on 40/40 at the moment.

Wow, FU
Dual Pursuers.
I'm mainly melee focused and figured the fight would give me some trouble, but damn, that was truly an exercise in patience for me.
If you let one of them curse you, one will disappear, but you still get the same reward as defeating both.

Arjen

Sooo I am currently nearly finished with my first playthrough and I am thinking about builds. I have played around with hybrid builds for the most part. A little magic here, some pyro there but settled in the end mainly for a melee/faith build. The latter has been the most fun but now before I make the final push into NG+ I am thinking on going for a 40/40 quality build.

Just wondering what the general feeling is on 40/40 at the moment.

I did a quality build as my first character, and I was really disappointed, there are no good weapons that benefit from the scaling, at least I haven't found any. Sunlight sword has AA scaling and still does shut damage compared to a buffed elemental infused weapon with just the bare minimum of stats.

Respect

If you let one of them curse you, one will disappear, but you still get the same reward as defeating both.

I saw that happen once, figured it was a glitch and ran out to reset at the bonfire, thought I might lose out on the loot. Even knowing that now, I don't think I would want to down it in that manner as it sounds like a glitch, guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Top Bottom