• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Grinchy

Banned
Finally beat it!

I really like how they handled the progression into NG+. They made it really easy to do whatever you wanted to do before moving on. I was scared for a bit that I accidentally went into NG+ before doing a ton of things I wanted to do first.

Risible

Bah he was summoned along myself to kill another bell invader and he was just there standing.

I killed the invader so he got a free chunk!

Fuck everything.

What's with the Bell Defenders lately who spawn in and then do a "M'lady" and hang back so that it's not a two on one fight? We are here to defend the motherfucking bell, get in the mix and help me out motherfucker! This isn't an honorable duel it's a bloody guts in my teeth battle to defend the tower you fucking pansy!

RyanDG

Wow. So, I thought there was a minimum HP that you can get to win your life was hollowed. I noticed that I was well below 50%, so I kept dying just to see what would happen. I don't know what my actual percentage is, but I'm definitely under 10% of my maximum HP pool?

I guess this may be my punishment for reaching wretch status?

Mentok

Banned
Wow. So, I thought there was a minimum HP that you can get to win your life was hollowed. I noticed that I was well below 50%, so I kept dying just to see what would happen. I don't know what my actual percentage is, but I'm definitely under 10% of my maximum HP pool?

Seriously?? That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm loving the red phantoms in NG+ as there are times I think "Ok, I'm safe here", only to see this red phantom come charging at me. Like
The two that spawn on your way to the skeleton lords. I saw the one, but didn't realize another spawned behind me!

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, so I went to Belfry Sol to grab a few titanite chunks. The rare phantom with the berserker blade was there, and it was the first time I've seen him since my first time going into the area. He dropped the katana right away. That is so awesome.

Son of a....Just did a bonehead thing. Beat the Pilgrims of Dark portal in the Gulch. Beat it, warped out, and in my haste to get the hell outta the entire area, Ancient Feathered back to the bonfire....

And, it turns out, once I did, it didn't register me completing that portal. So, another Effigy is about to be wasted to go back in and clear it out again. Sigh.

I did this same thing by accident, on the 2nd portal, but when I beat the third and ranked up there, I went back to where the 2nd was and talked to him again and it let me rank up, giving me credit for beating it initially

Is there a non spoilery way to explain to me on how to avoid going to NG+ after beating the last boss?

Some random thoughts.. I just finished the giant memories part, I think I played enough to say that DaS level design is very much superior than 2's. The only part of of this game where I felt really lost was the first time I got to majula. Almost all levels are pretty straight forward.

There's a large door in central drangelic castle(The area just after the dual dragon riders)In a courtyard where you fight a mastodon warrior. Is there any way to open that? WHat's back there?

Is there a non spoilery way to explain to me on how to avoid going to NG+ after beating the last boss?

Some random thoughts.. I just finished the giant memories part, I think I played enough to say that DaS level design is very much superior than 2's. The only part of of this game where I felt really lost was the first time I got to majula. Almost all levels are pretty straight forward.
I don't think it's really a spoiler to say it won't take you there until you choose to start a 2nd journey at the bonfire in majula

Scher

I'm not sure what would be considered non spoilery, but I will say that you don't need to worry about that. Just play like you normally would and it will be very obvious.

Leunam

I only learned about this the other day but yes you can go below 50% based on how much you've sinned.

It's optional, and you won't be forced to choose right away.

LiK

Halfway done with NG+ already. Managed to beat all 4 Old Ones in one evening. First try with all of them. I think I died more to some of the regular enemies cuz I underestimated how strong they are now. Gonna try and get to NG++ asap to Plat the game.

Btw, is NG++ much harder than NG+ or just a slight difference?

Scher

Halfway done with NG+ already. Managed to beat all 4 Old Ones in one evening. First try with all of them. I think I died more to some of the regular enemies cuz I underestimated how strong they are now. Gonna try and get to NG++ asap to Plat the game.

Btw, is NG++ much harder than NG+ or just a slight difference?

I didn't really think NG++ was any more difficult. The amount of damage enemies did wasn't exactly a significant increase, and most enemies still died about as quickly as they did on NG+. There are certain enemy types that caused a little bit of an issue due to increases in health (mostly just those spear guys in Drangleic Castle), but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

LiK

I didn't really think NG++ was any more difficult. The amount of damage enemies did wasn't exactly a significant increase, and most enemies still died about as quickly as they did on NG+. There are certain enemy types that caused a little bit of an issue due to increases in health (mostly just those spear guys in Drangleic Castle), but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yea there's very little difference in NG++

Great, I'll just level up my gal more and beeline it to the end. Don't care to collect anymore stuff.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Got summoned as a sunlight bro, game goes into the loading screen, loads and...i spawned with my legs buried in the ground?? aaaaaaaahhh.. tell me straight. Will I ever dance again? Seriously odd. I've never encountered clipping glitches in a souls game before. So weird.

Deitus

Does the Mad Warrior seriously have a finite number of respawns? If so, that is seriously fucked. I just did about 30 runs of Belfry Sol, and not a single spawn. I'm not going to use 5 Bonfire Ascetics just to farm this asshole.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hmm, where do I find a fire defense ring to help me in iron keep?
Also what do I do with this third fragrant branch of yore? Got the merchant and woman blocking that door already

LiK

You can buy one from Rosabeth. there's a stronger one but it's a pain to get.
the Salamander pit under Cardinal bonfire

Also what do I do with this third fragrant branch of yore? Got the merchant and woman blocking that door already

get the
Fang Key from the petrified Lion guy on a ramp near the Shaded Ruins bonfire.You'll need it to free another very useful merchant.

Deitus

Actually, the woman blocking the door is the one who sells the fire defense ring.

Edit: Beaten

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You can buy one from Rosabeth. there's a stronger one but it's a pain to get.
the Salamander pit under Cardinal bonfire

get the
Fang Key from the petrified Lion guy on a ramp near the Shaded Ruins bonfire.You'll need it to free another very useful merchant.

Ohhh thanks. Didn't know about thus fang key business...

Does the Mad Warrior seriously have a finite number of respawns? If so, that is seriously fucked. I just did about 30 runs of Belfry Sol, and not a single spawn. I'm not going to use 5 Bonfire Ascetics just to farm this asshole.

Chance to spawn every time you sit down at the bonfire. Did the entire bit today very painlessly and got the full set.

Deitus

Chance to spawn every time you sit down at the bonfire. Did the entire bit today very painlessly and got the full set.

Yeah, I know that. I've killed him many times, but all of the sudden I couldn't get him to respawn anymore.

You are very fortunate that it was painless for you.

Yeah, I know that. I've killed him many times, but all of the sudden I couldn't get him to respawn anymore.

You are very fortunate that it was painless for you.

Oh I killed him around 20 times, it was just that he was respawning quite frequently for some reason.

Don't think he disappears but I can't confirm.

Feltrol

Banned
Out of curiosity, do you guys know how much has the game sold? I really hope it sells well enough to continue the franchise.

Planning to get it for PC. I'm ready!

Killed the final boss last night. Well THAT was disappointing to say the least... (the boss, not the game. The game is GOTY at the moment. :) ).
She went down in ~4 Sunlight Spears and 1 Great Lightning Spear.

Still can't manage to kill the Ancient Dragon. God dammit. :/
I managed to get him to ~25% health and then I "missed" the proper side to run from his AoE attack. Uggghhhh.

Grinchy

Banned
Holy phantom range on pvp batman lol

PvP has been like half awesome and half terrible overall, but it was horrible earlier for me. Some guy with a greatsword was swinging and I was like 3 or 4 of his sword lengths away but still took the hits. I wished I was on PS4 so I could make a gif of it.

maomaoIYP

Thoughts on ultra greatswords and great hammers.
I like both categories of weapons for their range and power. Lots of fun in PvP. However ultra greatswords win by a mile because 1) stats required tend to be lower, 2) much more variation in movesets and 3) ultra greatswords have lots of knockdown attacks.
The good old greatsword is the best example of this, horizontal swings when 1H, vertical when 2H. Great to keep people guessing. The greatsword, zweihander, smelter, black knight ultra, king's ultra, etc etc all have different movesets. There are at least 4 great hammers which have identical movesets (large club, great club, demon hammer, dragon tooth), and for all purposes they are identical. Ironically, between great club and large club, the one with the lower scaling gives more damage at 50 STR.
There's no real point in power stancing weapons of the same class for PvP (if at all), preferably abuse the greatsword/ lion greataxe or the great club/ claymore combos.
Power stancing great club and large club in PvE is fine though, but may not be entirely worth the weight.

Do bonfire ascetics reset at the start of a NG+? Been trying to farm the Heide Knight set, and the armor won't drop for jack. Now I'm worried that I've screwed myself difficulty wise in NG+ lol.

Note to miracle based PvP players: don't use lightning spear or their variants, you're going to get stomped on.

...Unless you manually aim it at the ground in front of you and zing them as they roll into you, anyway.

But yeah, don't lock on and throw it. They'll roll through it and beat you down.

Darksheik

Got the platinum yesterday evening and I really have to say that the game surprised me positively. Normally when I'm hyped for a game it always disappoints me somehow. Dark Souls 2 however, was for sure the best game I've played in years. I even liked A LOT the pvp and I normally am not a fan of those competitive things.
Many of the new gameplay mechanics, like the Bonfire Ascetics and the capability of respec the character, widen enormously the depth of the game too.

Not many times I'm still willing to play a game after I got the platinum on it but in DS2 I have so many things left to do. Outstanding game.

Top Bottom