• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

There's a lot to like about this game still, but it just feels so much like some other company did their best to copy a Souls game, but forgot quite a few important things.
I think what happened (besides just the usual "duh B-team!" criticisms) is that they took a lot of advice and feedback - maybe from Bandai? And it was just not the right advice. A lot of the changes they tried to impliment came from a good place - like trying to fix low level twink invaders or making critical attack more risk vs reward and such, but the way they went about it hurt other areas of the game and overall.

Any way, it's nothing I haven't said before - I should've just kept my mouth shut in the DS1 thread, but as always I can't!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta admit that I didn't know what power stancing was, let alone know how to do it, until I got to NG+2 on my main character. I kept hearing people talk about it and had no idea WTF they were going on about.

Duel Rapiers with Leo Ring (and I guess Flynns ring now?) just tears through everything in the game.

That is my favorite combo, getting Flynn ring at the lowest possible SM.

Actually you won't even need dual Rapiers, just a single Rapier in two handed strong attacks are more efficient in terms of movement and attacks (but Durability burns this way).

One of my low SM run for a Flynn ring
0ED7B39CAF61A5445E76AB6F35C7D69FBAA9F822

Sanctuary

This, so much. Love powerstancing so much. Weird how the game doesn't even explain the requirements on its best new mechanic though, lol.

It wouldn't be a Souls game if it had any kind of explanation!

trackingandhitboxes.webm

http://a.pomf.se/uzamrd.webm

Simply being out of the way of attacks is so unreliable when playing online. That particular attack is horrible (I like it on paper) because the stun from the initial leap hits you from stupidly far away and then you're unable to dodge the rest of the attack. I don't think I've ever dodged it.

I've had so many "bullshit, I dodged that moments!" that I can't even tell anymore if it's actually a hitbox issue on some enemies, or simply the game having a very long delay actually registering that I was hit, so it shows the animation seconds after I moved way out of the way. Either way it's still grossly unpolished. It was funny when the Claymore in DS1 had phantom range, but it's not so great when a large portion of the enemies do. The tracking midswing is also stupid as it negates much of the reason behind dodging in the first place.

Mistel

Banned
Duel Rapiers with Leo Ring (and I guess Flynns ring now?) just tears through everything in the game.
Estoc's instead of rapier's woulb probably make it far easier, they're longer and have better STR scaling coupled with the higher poise damage they deal.

Xiraiya

While the Combat is far clunkier than before and is really only a cheap imitation of DS1, rather than a refined improvement. I have to say, stuff like Throwing Knives doing respectable damage and being actually pretty good even in PVP certainly helps sooth the pain a little bit.

Where is the best place to grind souls in NG? Trying to earn enough to buy out all the merchants to move onto +, but I want to empty them out first. doing coop on natasha at the moment but i wonder if quicker places or methods

Mistel

Banned
Where is the best place to grind souls in NG? Trying to earn enough to buy out all the merchants to move onto +, but I want to empty them out first. doing coop on natasha at the moment but i wonder if quicker places or methods
Giant lord with soul boosting gear just asetic the bonfire right before it and farm it. As there's an astectic in the memory you can do it forever.

Wow, how come nobody ever told me how good the Dragon's Tooth was in this game? I pretty much never see anybody using it. But it has a really great moveset. That 1 handed R1 is crazy fast and super easy to chain with.

Also, managed to get my No Bonfire ring. That's pretty crazy easy on NG+ and up. I could see it being a more interesting challenge on NG, when you have to be really careful about weapon durability, and stuff. But even then, you can just light a bonfire (without sitting at it) and then kill yourself to get all your estus and weapon durability back. The strategy mainly comes from which bonfires you light. Still pretty fun though. Interesting seeing areas coming from the opposite direction. (i.e., leaving Drangleic Castle backwards).

So can people really get soft banned? I'm no longer seeing any signs or getting summoned.

It was happening awhile ago, yeah. Some people found a workaround if you were softbanned. Can't remember what you're supposed to do, but search on the Dark Souls 2 subreddit, pretty sure it was posted there.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't heard the rumors, some people are speculating more DLC. There have been some "testdlc4" things showing up on the Steam API. I'd definitely be down for more DLC if it's the quality of the Crowns trilogy.

If your link is supposed to be broken, then I don't get the joke.

I'm guessing you don't have the Chrome (or Firefox) extension that makes webm links appear in posts. Anyway, it's just a clip of a fight against a super laggy opponent and I randomly landed a hilt parry with roughly a 5 second delay.

Edit: It appears that pomf.se might be having issues.

Mogwai

I'm guessing you don't have the Chrome (or Firefox) extension that makes webm links appear in posts. Anyway, it's just a clip of a fight against a super laggy opponent and I randomly landed a hilt parry with roughly a 5 second delay.

Edit: It appears that pomf.se might be having issues.

Ah... hehe. I tried to install your link, thanks. But still just see a black box.

Lux R7

Everything? Weird glitchy hitboxes, slashing several times at an enemy and having the weapon go through the model but no damage taken (shortsword is terrible for this), agility/i-frames as a stat, the weird 'sliding on ice' when getting staggered by a hit, hitting enemies but not "feeling it" - two handing a mace on the knights in Heides tower, it feels like the weapon goes straight through the model and only the (often delayed) sound effect and the numbers on screen tell you it hit. Eternal spinning on the spot enemy AI (looks even more ridiculous when it's a huge boss like Jabba the Hut), that same delayed third or fourth hit to a combo that so many of the enemies have. Poise being useless apparently. Wear a shit ton of armour and still get chain staggered by a tiny dagger. Rolling and jumping just feels off and unreliable. The cardinal sin of attacking in different directions when locking on (if I wanted free aim I wouldn't lock on) - it's difficult not to be holding a direction in a game like this. Not stacking button commands during rolls etc (worked great in DS1, why change it?

And that's just PvE, I gave up on PvP a long time ago when I realised SM destroys not only low-level pvp, co-op and counter-troll builds but also any level pvp and co-op because soul level is now completely meaningless. Plus rubberband rollback p2p connections worse than anything I've seen in the previous two games. I get a lot of people like being SL400 and being able to equip anything and everything with only one character - that's not me, and if I'm in a niche of Souls players, I'm in a niche, but something tells me the niche isn't that all that small. I hear the exact same criticisms when listening to ENB and A German Spy's videos amongst others.

As Booshka said, there's still some great stuff in the game, I love making a new character and landing at the farfire and buying the cat ring and blasting through the Gutter to get down to the fragrent branch of yore down there to unlock the Shaded Woods asap, stuff like that. I love how you explore at low level in all the Souls games.

i pretty much agree on everything.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Everything? Weird glitchy hitboxes, slashing several times at an enemy and having the weapon go through the model but no damage taken (shortsword is terrible for this), agility/i-frames as a stat, the weird 'sliding on ice' when getting staggered by a hit, hitting enemies but not "feeling it" - two handing a mace on the knights in Heides tower, it feels like the weapon goes straight through the model and only the (often delayed) sound effect and the numbers on screen tell you it hit. Eternal spinning on the spot enemy AI (looks even more ridiculous when it's a huge boss like Jabba the Hut), that same delayed third or fourth hit to a combo that so many of the enemies have. Poise being useless apparently. Wear a shit ton of armour and still get chain staggered by a tiny dagger. Rolling and jumping just feels off and unreliable. The cardinal sin of attacking in different directions when locking on (if I wanted free aim I wouldn't lock on) - it's difficult not to be holding a direction in a game like this. Not stacking button commands during rolls etc (worked great in DS1, why change it?

And that's just PvE, I gave up on PvP a long time ago when I realised SM destroys not only low-level pvp, co-op and counter-troll builds but also any level pvp and co-op because soul level is now completely meaningless. Plus rubberband rollback p2p connections worse than anything I've seen in the previous two games. I get a lot of people like being SL400 and being able to equip anything and everything with only one character - that's not me, and if I'm in a niche of Souls players, I'm in a niche, but something tells me the niche isn't that all that small. I hear the exact same criticisms when listening to ENB and A German Spy's videos amongst others.

As Booshka said, there's still some great stuff in the game, I love making a new character and landing at the farfire and buying the cat ring and blasting through the Gutter to get down to the fragrent branch of yore down there to unlock the Shaded Woods asap, stuff like that. I love how you explore at low level in all the Souls games.

Said like a boss, 110% agree here. DkS2 is casual Souls at this point, no real reason to even take it seriously due to the "mechanics issues" and overall just a terrible step back for a great series stated above. Miyazaki may not even do another Souls game after how badly this idiotic B-Team screwed up his life's work. Not only is the game itself in every category a step back essentially aside from small trivialities that are good additions, but I honestly don't see how it can recover without Miyazaki doing the next "Souls" game. Kind of funny Miyazaki has not commented on DkS2, cause it probably wouldn't be a good opinion of the game. Might I also mention the B-Team is so incompetent they couldn't even fix a durability system for 60fps gameplay on PC while given more than enough time between console-to-PC release!

And rest assured, ALL the true high-level Souls vets agree with all of this. This game will unfortunately go down as the most disappointing sequel of the last generation, and that say's a lot, regardless of if it's still a "good game". And lest we not forget all the pre-release lies from both the B-Team dev's AND Namco about the game/gameplay itself, and the visuals which were not even a publicized downgrade until people bought it. Bravo, Scamco, you got your money, now move along to your next abonination...like placing restrictions on legit players accounts and sending them allegations of breaking your EULA somehow, which are totally retarded reasons and often target incorrect accounts. Which happens all the time, all while actual cheaters/hackers run rampant.

Edit: Just to round out my little rant here about this sorry excuse for a "Souls game". I posted this before, but it and it's content bears repeating over and over again, so hopefully From gets the fucking message.

I guess terribad hitboxes, horrible scaling/item placement, broken Poise, artificial cheap difficulty, sloppy movement calibrations, phoned in animation work compared to Demon's/Dark1, bait and switch PR on visuals that weren't even enabled on PC yet still exist in the engine code, and Soul Memory is the quid pro quo for a "awesome sequel". Sorry, but this Kool-Aid just ain't my flavor.

So in order to not have to type anything to rip anybody's suggestion that DkS2 is a "good sequel" to a Souls game to shreds, I'll let these vids which I 100% agree with do it for me. Just go ask any of the high level challenge runners/high level PvP players if DkS2 is a "good sequel". Martyrs, Foxeo, Somethodox, Vageta311, LobosJr, me, etc, etc who all did 1000's of hours of crazy challenge running and/or high-level PvP, they all at the very least are disappointed in DkS2.

I agree 110% here with Matt, although I'd argue from a challenge running and PvP perspective it's a even further step backwards.

Also, my bro Martyrs gives a perfect analysis of the issues with PvP in these two vids-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olH7ibNjHA&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5Yz1Z__ek&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ&index=30

And finally, Martyrs echoes exactly my thoughts on talking/typing about DkS2 with the context of this vid as well as it's title. That's you never see me in the DkS2 OT...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGgPdXi4k4&index=21&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ

*Also be sure to check out my bro's channel YT "Foxeogames" as he say's it a lot better than I do and pretty much echoes every complaint leveled here. He's also a straight shooter and great guy all around, so I recommend subscribing!

I've seen these same arguments go back and forth ad nauseum ever since the game was released. At this point I'm just content that I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and plan to continue playing it. I respect most criticisms of the game (and agree with many of them), but love the game regardless.

And rest assured, ALL the true high-level Souls vets agree with all of this.

Good ol' No True Scotsman!

(Lobos, by the way, has stated several times that he likes both Dark Souls games equally, but for different reasons, and that he'd rather play Dark Souls 2 these days. I'm also not sure how one becomes a "high-level Souls vet", and at what location they all came to agreement on the points you stated.)

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've seen these same arguments go back and forth ad nauseum ever since the game was released. At this point I'm just content that I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and plan to continue playing it. I respect most criticisms of the game (and agree with many of them), but love the game regardless.

Good ol' No True Scotsman!

(Lobos, by the way, has stated several times that he likes both Dark Souls games equally, but for different reasons, and that he'd rather play Dark Souls 2 these days. I'm also not sure how one becomes a "high-level Souls vet", and at what location they all came to agreement on the points you stated.)

Watch most of their YT vids or ask them yourself, I've spoken to Lobos personally, and from what he say's yes he enjoys DkS2 but finds it inferior in almost every way vs. what he was able to do challenge-wise in DkS1. Don't believe me, go take a look at his DkS1 challenge vids diversity vs. his DkS2 vids... Ask Tamashi through PM. Ask Vageta311, ask Somethodox. As I said EVERYBODY is on some level disappointed in DkS2. Only reason Lobo's plays DkS2 "these day's" is because it's in demand and he's a constant streamer with a audience... Ask him privately what he really thinks about DkS2 vs. 1. :\

Disappointment is fine (especially given people's unrealistic expectations pre-launch [which I'm also seeing in every Bloodborne thread -- if that game has any issues people are going to be mad]), but what you said was that "ALL the true high-level Souls vets agree with all of this". Specifically, that they agree with all of:

DkS2 is casual Souls at this point, no real reason to even take it seriously due to the "mechanics issues" and overall just a terrible step back for a great series stated above. Miyazaki may not even do another Souls game after how badly this idiotic B-Team screwed up his life's work. Not only is the game itself in every category a step back essentially aside from small trivialities that are good additions, but I honestly don't see how it can recover without Miyazaki doing the next "Souls" game. Kind of funny Miyazaki has not commented on DkS2, cause it probably wouldn't be a good opinion of the game. Might I also mention the B-Team is so incompetent they couldn't even fix a durability system for 60fps gameplay on PC while given more than enough time between console-to-PC release!

To say that "every high-level Souls vet" agrees with all of that is untrue. And I still don't know what qualifies for a "high-level" Souls vet. You seem to be mentioning streamers/YouTubers in particular. What about all of those that have played countless hours of both Souls games (and never streamed or made videos), and still appreciate Dark Souls 2? I have 400 hours in Dark Souls 1 and 300 in Dark Souls 2, and have done plenty of challenge runs and PVP. Do I qualify? Or do I have to reach 1000+ hours first? What about EpicNameBro? He was probably one of the biggest factors in the popularization of the Souls series in the West, and he enjoys Dark Souls 2.

If we're just talking about disappointment in some aspect or another, then sure, I agree with you. Everybody has problems with the game. That wasn't what you said in your post, though.

Anyway, I don't really need validation from "high-level" Souls vets in order to confirm whether or not the 300+ hours I've spent on Dark Souls 2 were worth it, or whether I can love and appreciate the sequel to my all time favorite game (flaws and all).

Souls games are different things to different people. Not everybody enjoys them for the same reasons, and it's perfectly valid for some players to love Dark Souls 2 despite its flaws, because they enjoy the games for different reasons then those who dislike them.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Disappointment is fine (especially given people's unrealistic expectations pre-launch [which I'm also seeing in every Bloodborne thread -- if that game has any issues people are going to be mad]), but what you said was that "ALL the true high-level Souls vets agree with all of this". Specifically, that they agree with all of:

To say that "every high-level Souls vet" agrees with all of that is untrue. And I still don't know what qualifies for a "high-level" Souls vet. You seem to be mentioning streamers/YouTubers in particular. What about all of those that have played countless hours of both Souls games (and never streamed or made videos), and still appreciate Dark Souls 2? I have 400 hours in Dark Souls 1 and 300 in Dark Souls 2, and have done plenty of challenge runs and PVP. Do I qualify? Or do I have to reach 1000+ hours first? What about EpicNameBro? He was probably one of the biggest factors in the popularization of the Souls series in the West, and he enjoys Dark Souls 2.

If we're just talking about disappointment in some aspect or another, then sure, I agree with you. Everybody has problems with the game. That wasn't what you said in your post, though.

Anyway, I don't really need validation from "high-level" Souls vets in order to confirm whether or not the 300+ hours I've spent on Dark Souls 2 were worth it, or whether I can love and appreciate the sequel to my all time favorite game (flaws and all).

Souls games are different things to different people. Not everybody enjoys them for the same reasons, and it's perfectly valid for some players to love Dark Souls 2 despite its flaws, because they enjoy the games for different reasons then those who dislike them.

Well, my subjective definition of a "high-level Souls vet" is either 1) Somebody who's done truly extreme challenge runs and proved it in either Demon's or Dark1 in some manner (because anybody can SAY I've done X or Y), but sorry empiricism requires proof and rules of evidence. Or 2) Done TONS of PvP in Demon's/Dark1 and proven themselves to be in the upper echelons of the community skill-wise, all people I've named, but there are tons more just watch the last Martyrs vid for even more names. So that's MY subjective view of what a true high-level Souls vet is, and I believe their are very good arguments in that analysis, if you'd like me to walk you through it step-by-step. And all the people I've spoken to that meet that criteria share these same opinions, period. If you know of somebody that defies this, please link me although it might be true people like this can find value in both for different reasons, go ask them specifically how DkS2 stacks up to DkS1 on the aspects I've argued.

It's perfectly fine for people to like a game for different reasons, it's also perfectly fine to point out that the vast majority of REALLY hardcore Souls players agree with my views to some extent. As for Epicnamebro, the guy is a total goof and hypocrite at best, he should have been one of the one's pointing these things out to the community along with German Spy since in fact he's coined the "ENB Challenge"...that he couldn't even finish himself, which speaks to his skill-level and dedication. He bitched out of his own challenge while everybody else who were better players cleared the game under his rule set and even beyond it. So, no I lost a lot of respect for ENB when he failed to address DkS2's issues along with Spy while having access to the game months before anyone else. But I'm sure his wallet was happy...

And THIS is why we who feel this way in the community need to keep banging this drum as loud as possible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Miyazaki may not even do another Souls game after how badly this idiotic B-Team screwed up his life's work.
Oh for fuck's sake...
And rest assured, ALL the true high-level Souls vets agree with all of this.
Hahahaha NO

Edit: Just to round out my little rant here about this sorry excuse for a "Souls game". I posted this before, but it and it's content bears repeating over and over again, so hopefully From gets the fucking message.
No, I disagree, it's really not worth reading this thread-shitting over and over again. You hate the game, fine. Why are you here?

Well, my subjective definition of a "high-level Souls vet" is either 1) Somebody who's done truly extreme challenge runs and proved it in either Demon's or Dark1 in some manner (because anybody can SAY I've done X or Y), but sorry empiricism requires proof and rules of evidence. Or 2) Done TONS of PvP in Demon's/Dark1 and proven themselves to be in the upper echelons of the community skill-wise, all people I've named, but there are tons more just watch the last Martyrs vid for even more names.
Oh boy, arbitrary criterias for what define a tr00 high level vet eh? Well no matter, I did an SL1 run in Dark Souls, and won at least 3 PvP tourneys in Demon's (easily verifiable on the Wikidot or Atlus forums if you actually give a shit). So uh, yay?

None of that stuff matters because one does not need to beat the game at level -20 using a broken straight sword-10 to have a valid, informed, and worthwhile opinion about these games, mind. At this point it's just arbitrary elitism to try to make your opinion somehow worth more than others's, which reeks of insecurity ("look ma, the pra0s agree with me, I must be right!") because an informed opinion stands on its own merit. But the fact that you're calling ENB some sort of fake just because he didn't bash the game to your desired level is absolutely hilarious, I must admit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
None of that stuff matters because one does not need to beat the game at level -20 using a broken straight sword-10 to have a valid, informed, and worthwhile opinion about these games, mind. At this point it's just arbitrary elitism to try to make your opinion somehow worth more than others's, which reeks of insecurity ("look ma, the pra0s agree with me, I must be right!") because an informed opinion stands on its own merit. But the fact that you're calling ENB some sort of fake just because he didn't bash the game to your desired level is absolutely hilarious, I must admit.

The Stark Truth of the matter.

As for Epicnamebro, the guy is a total goof and hypocrite at best, he should have been one of the one's pointing these things out to the community along with German Spy since in fact he's coined the "ENB Challenge"...that he couldn't even finish himself, which speaks to his skill-level and dedication. He bitched out of his own challenge while everybody else who were better players cleared the game under his rule set and even beyond it. So, no I lost a lot of respect for ENB when he failed to address DkS2's issues along with Spy while having access to the game months before anyone else. But I'm sure his wallet was happy...

It seems like you place "skill level" above everything else when it comes to having a valid opinion on Souls. Even to the point of calling ENB a hypocrite because he didn't finish a challenge he created.

And for the record, ENB has had plenty of criticisms of Dark Souls 2. He also happened to enjoy the game. But hey, "stop liking what I don't like", right?

I'm pretty sure even if most of these "high level Souls vets" you speak so much about agree with the valid criticisms of the game, I'm also sure most of them are not nearly as extreme as you seem to be about it. (The whole, "B-team and Scamco have forever ruined the Souls series and Miyazaki's life work with a terrible game".)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It seems like you place "skill level" above everything else when it comes to having a valid opinion on Souls.
Unless when it's a skilled player he disagrees with.

I'm pretty sure even if most of these "high level Souls vets" you speak so much about agree with the valid criticisms of the game, I'm also sure most of them are not nearly as extreme as you seem to be about it. (The whole, "B-team and Scamco have forever ruined the Souls series and Miyazaki's life work with a terrible game".)
Exactly. Hey, I'm disappointed in wonky hitboxes too. But I was disappointed in a few things in Dark Souls when coming from Demon's, as well. None of the games are perfect.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Unless when it's a skilled player he disagrees with.

Exactly. Hey, I'm disappointed in wonky hitboxes too. But I was disappointed in a few things in Dark Souls when coming from Demon's, as well. None of the games are perfect.

Stark a skilled player, come at me son... :\

And...whatever Stark, keep smashing dat keyboard as fast as possible. Like I said, come at me, we'll do PvP or challenge runs recorded win or lose, how about that? Since your such a "skilled player". LOL

But like I said, yeah whatever man. Go talk to Martyrs, I'd love to see him rip any of your arguments to shreds.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Wtf is going on in here?

It's just me challenging Stark man-to-man, he can even choose the damn rule set. Then we'll see who's opinion is valid.

Btw, got any vids Stark, check my Steam profile for vids, a guy there challenged me on the Steam forums that I could NEVER beat his ~SL char using my SL5 Knight...I think he was wrong.

It's just me challenging Stark man-to-man, he can even choose the damn rule set. Then we'll see who's opinion is valid.

Btw, got any vids Stark, check my Steam profile for vids, a guy there challenged me on the Steam forums that I could NEVER beat his ~SL char using my SL5 Knight...I think he was wrong.

So unless he can beat you in pvp or a speedrun his opinion is invalid? That doesn't make much sense.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Didn't I have to explain how a mechanic worked to you Aryn?

Not that I remember, maybe, link me the quote.

So unless he can beat you in pvp or a speedrun his opinion is invalid? That doesn't make much sense.

No, it's actually just me trying to have fun and bleed some cows Souls' style, figuratively speaking. Although, if I do beat him and/or embarrass him in a recorded vid which I'll be sure to post here, my "opinion" of "high-level skilled play" is obviously more valid. Or does logic no longer hold precedence?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
When did this thread get so bad?

Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time. Dark Souls II has some disappointing aspects but still stands out as an incredible game.

This "high level dark souls vet" bs is hilariously childish

No, it's actually just me trying to have fun and bleed some cows Souls' style, figuratively speaking. Although, if I do beat him and/or embarrass him in a recorded vid which I'll be sure to post here, my "opinion" of "high-level skilled play" is obviously more valid. Or does logic no longer hold precedence?

No. it just seems out of character for this forum and thread is all.

ArynCrinn

Banned
When did this thread get so bad?

Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time. Dark Souls II has some disappointing aspects but still stands out as an incredible game.

This "high level dark souls vet" bs is hilariously childish

Ya' know, some of us actually really liked the extremely technical skilled play of Demon's/Dark1. But I guess that "minority" is now marginal and absurd...

No. it just seems out of character for this forum and thread is all.

Where else should I issue the challenge? Through PM, better to make it public for all to see. Because experience = knowledge, more experience = a more valid opinion up and up, as so goes it. Like me understanding physics/metaphysics vs. Stephen Hawking.... :\

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ROFL. Not interested in petty pissing contests, thanks. Jesus christ, how old are you?

Edit: I should note, I haven't played Demon's PvP regularly in ages, but I'm always down for some duelling in 4-1, with anyone (who isn't a childish twit). DeS PvP was the best.
Didn't I have to explain how a mechanic worked to you Aryn?
Haha

No, [but] if I do beat him and/or embarrass him in a recorded vid which I'll be sure to post here, my "opinion" of "high-level skilled play" is obviously more valid.
So no, but, yes? xD

ArynCrinn

Banned
ROFL. Not interested in petty pissing contests, thanks. Jesus christ, how old are you?

Edit: I should note, I haven't played Demon's PvP regularly in ages, but I'm always down for some duelling in 4-1, with anyone (who isn't a childish twit). DeS PvP was the best.

Haha

So no, but, yes? xD

So no to the challenge..whodathunkit. Nice talking to you though man. xD

Go figure I did.

It seems a bit puerile to me.

Oh yeah, and thanks on the Gravestone tip. But I don't see how that invalidates any of my arguments against DkS2? Regardless and notwithsanding the "elitism" so many are going off about, I haven't seen one person invalidate the core of what I actually argued.

i beat DS1 at SL1 without using any upgraded weapons or gear. it was a herculean task that really doesn't mean anything. says more about how i spend my time than anything else.

i can't imagine the mentality of someone that rejects opinions on DS2 if you're not "hardcore" enough

i mean come on

Booshka

For all ya'll that still take PvP in this game seriously. Here is an exhaustive video going over all kinds of mechanics and minutiae.

I stumbled upon the video and thought I would share. I don't play this game anymore and don't really watch it either, but I know that this dude is one of the best players in DkS1 and DkS2, and gets really in-depth for the PvP.

http://www.twitch.tv/eiiitti/c/5535661

ArynCrinn

Banned
i beat DS1 at SL1 without using any upgraded weapons or gear. it was a herculean task that really doesn't mean anything. says more about how i spend my time than anything else.

i can't imagine the mentality of someone that rejects opinions on DS2 if you're not "hardcore" enough

i mean come on

So did I, with many different classes. Did a pure Deprived run, no rings+resins+healing+only starting equip, and cleared the game.

The issue isn't really about "my elitism" and by proxy how that somehow invalidates my arguments towards DkS2 based on my idiosyncrasies, that ain't a argument, that a softist adhom attack based entirely on another subject altogether.

But where's the cutting to the core l33t argument that totally invalidated mine and Red Lique's opinions? There are none, just a bunch of people butthurt because I don't personally consider certain types "high-level players"...which is ironic because I said quite clearly it was a subjective opinion. That alone should have closed the case, but of course the flaming ensued and ignored the real argument.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
An opinion being inherently subjective doesn't make it immune to criticism. When you come down to it, your opinion is basically, "Dark Souls 2 is complete garbage, and every skilled player (which only I may arbitrarily determine fits this category) agrees with me!". Or, basically, "Dark Souls 2 is garbage, and everyone who agrees with me agrees with me!"

Well, okay. e_e

I still wonder why someone who hates the game so much is posting so much in the OT of this game, though...

ArynCrinn

Banned
An opinion being inherently subjective doesn't make it immune to criticism. When you come down to it, your opinion is basically, "Dark Souls 2 is complete garbage, and every skilled player (which only I may arbitrarily determine fits this category) agrees with me!". Or, basically, "Dark Souls 2 is garbage, and everyone who agrees with me agrees with me!"

Well, okay. e_e

I still wonder why someone who hates the game so much is posting so much in the OT of this game, though...

You miss the point more than Mike Savage concerning Mental Illness as to why I "keep talking about it". I do believe I also made a post about that earlier.

And besides, even if a subjective opinion isn't immune to criticism why the preference to focus on that vs. a real substantive argument concerning the game itself. You choose to focus on me rather than the argument. That's what makes it so ridiculous and proves you'd rather avoid that line of inquiry vs. attacking somebody else's opinion. Let's just agree to disagree and have a real conversation about the argument which I agreed with that Red made...but no, you'd rather attack me.

Still no interest in that best 8 out of 10 fightclub vs me since you seem to enjoy focusing on ME rather than the argument so much?

Just popping in to say I love this game even with all its flaws. I put more hours in it than any other game this year and its probably my GOTY. Infusing some good vibes back into this thread, peace.

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah, and thanks on the Gravestone tip. But I don't see how that invalidates any of my arguments against DkS2? Regardless and notwithsanding the "elitism" so many are going off about, I haven't seen one person invalidate the core of what I actually argued.
Your argument is based on something which I agree with and I'm very aware of the issues within the game.

Your response is puerile and is not really offering anything upon which a discussion can be had with. You make sweeping blanket statements that neglect the opinions of others who are not in line with your own with your own.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Your argument is based on something which I agree with and I'm very aware of the issues within the game.

Your response is puerile and is not really offering anything upon which a discussion can be had with. You make sweeping blanket statements that neglect the opinions of others who are not in line with your own with your own.

Sooo, you agree with everything I've said addressing the game's issues. But you think I'm acting childish about it somehow, and making blanket statements. I can only assume you're referring to my admittedly elitist attitude toward the game series (as well as a lot of other games I feel the same way about), and possibly my calling somebody out to a challenge?

Well, my opinion IS subjective and only pertains to my own personal preference, but I also think there is a realistic argument there too. I can give many examples if you'd like. As for my challenge which was now ducked twice and counting, I've been challenged tons of times and was always happy to indulge win or lose, either way I learned something new (this also pertains to many games). So issuing "challenges" of skill is hardly anything childish or new, I mean I remember my arcade day's. And if somebody ducks a challenge after saying I did X or Y beating their chest to say "I have skill too" in a game and I'd like to test my own skills against them, I hardly see the puerile nature of that. Just to be concrete with you, since I know we're all limited by our assumptions.

But anyway, I think I've said my peace here well enough. I think everybody gets it. So, personally I'm waiting for Bloodborne and wish you guy's who enjoy DkS2 all the best. :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Although, if I do beat him and/or embarrass him in a recorded vid which I'll be sure to post here, my "opinion" of "high-level skilled play" is obviously more valid. Or does logic no longer hold precedence?

I don't get the logic. Are you saying that you believe that higher skilled player's thoughts on the game are more valid than lower skilled player's, or am I missing something? If you are (and forgive me if you're not), that's simply not true.

I haven't seen one person invalidate the core of what I actually argued.

It seems a little less like you're arguing and more like you're shouting at clouds. Without meaning you any disrespect, I don't think you're wrong about the mechanics so much as presenting your points in a belligerent and disagreeable manner. I get your enthusiasm for shitting on the game, but you're putting people's heckles up, y'know?

Mistel

Banned
Sooo, you agree with everything I've said addressing the game's issues.
No I do not I agree with what you based it on which is Red licorice's post not your "every souls vet ever" spiel which you acknowledge is subjective to your own tastes and doesn't really present much to discussion. It's puerile because instead of actually discussing what are the issues with the game you decide to go off your own showboating to answer the question instead.

Top Bottom