• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Hypron

It's weird. I stopped playing the game a month+ ago because I had lots of stuff to do for uni. The only boss that was left on my current (melee) playthrough was Darklurker and I kinda gave up after trying a couple of times. Today I go back to the game and beat it on my second try with a build that I've never really used before (dual-wielding clubs). Now, as opposed to what I read on a wiki the clubs don't stun the boss but they still do a lot of damage. Maybe playing Bayonetta 2 made my reflexes better, because I didn't have an issue dodging both Darklurkers' attacks - something that I totally wasn't able to do before.

The speed run method of killing ancient dragon is just auto pilot. A pathetic boss. And no, using the gyrm shield isnt the correct way to cheese him.

Why? It's 100% foolproof, whereas you can fuck up your placement when you do the leg technique.

SRTtoZ

I'm trying so hard to switch weapons from the great club +10 to something else but its damage is just so goood. My biggest gripe is I can't even go 20 minutes without it needing to be repaired, so I also carry that starter mace +10 with me, its pretty decent for being a starter mace. I also just tried some pyromancy instead of miracles because I want something ranged without having to go dex/bow/xbow etc. Gonna see how this goes in NG+, so far so good.

I have both Pyro gloves, the normal and the dark ones, am I correct in assuming the normal one is the better one NORMALLY, unless you are seriously hallowed?

I'm trying so hard to switch weapons from the great club +10 to something else but its damage is just so goood. My biggest gripe is I can't even go 20 minutes without it needing to be repaired, so I also carry that starter mace +10 with me, its pretty decent for being a starter mace. I also just tried some pyromancy instead of miracles because I want something ranged without having to go dex/bow/xbow etc. Gonna see how this goes in NG+, so far so good.

I have both Pyro gloves, the normal and the dark ones, am I correct in assuming the normal one is the better one NORMALLY, unless you are seriously hallowed?

Unless you're planning on running around at half HP and doing no invading, then the regular Pyro flame is the better choice. You should also try just carrying another Great Club around ;)

---

I was playing some Dark Souls 1 tonight and I had forgotten about partial parries.

http://a.pomf.se/ntdsov.webm

It's great to be able to go for parries and not be punished severely for being just a hair off with your timing. Also, at least in PVE, parries are ridiculously easy in DS1! I was parrying absolutely everything without a second thought, and at this point I've played more DS2 than I have DS1.

the starter mace qwns. i've beaten the game twice maining that weapon. its just so hard to switch away from considering how light and fairly quick it is.

i can parry anything in DS1 but i don't even bother trying in DS2, it's a joke, i can't parry anything, it's not fun to even try

After 300 hours I've finally been able to parry certain types of enemies with certain weapons in Dark Souls 2 with a decent level of success.

But not the Alonne Knights. I don't think I'll ever manage to parry them consistently. Ugh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... I guess I wasn't paying attention and somehow didn't transfer my save files when reformatting my computer.

Guess I'll have to start up a new character!

Any suggestions on fun builds? I haven't touched the DLC yet, so will probably tackle it during or after this newest playthrough.

Damn... I guess I wasn't paying attention and somehow didn't transfer my save files when reformatting my computer.

Guess I'll have to start up a new character!

Any suggestions on fun builds? I haven't touched the DLC yet, so will probably tackle it during or after this newest playthrough.

You cant go wrong as a caster class, (join the mage frank class)

Well mage classes from what I heard cause
the DLC to be considerably harder. Although, it does make the base game a joke.
Depends on your playstyle. If you can dodge roll really well, focus on a character that hit really hard, but doesn't have lots of health or armour. If you want that cushion in case you get hit, get someone with medium armour and sufficient health, like 1500 or so. If you suck at dodge rolling, like me, go full havels with tons of health and the UGs Greatsword that's what helped me through NG and NG+.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I almost always go melee, so that might be refreshing.

I thought I remember hearing on AGermanSpy's channel that they nerfed magic in one of the updates? Or was that just Miracles and Faith builds?

RedSwirl

The Fume Knight is the first boss I've seen that almost no one on my server can beat. Every time I've tried to help someone beat him, one of us dies, and I've tried to help some people multiple times. What's funny is, I do just as well whether I fight him co-op or alone. In either case I manage to get him to around half healh. The only time I've seen him defeated was against three human players.

Well mage classes from what I heard cause
the DLC to be considerably harder. Although, it does make the base game a joke.
Depends on your playstyle. If you can dodge roll really well, focus on a character that hit really hard, but doesn't have lots of health or armour. If you want that cushion in case you get hit, get someone with medium armour and sufficient health, like 1500 or so. If you suck at dodge rolling, like me, go full havels with tons of health and the UGs Greatsword that's what helped me through NG and NG+.

The bad thing to be a caster is coop, the bosses got high resistances against a certain type of casting but mostly sorcery, if you enter full team then your casting is severy tune down so you have to go melee

SRTtoZ

Unless you're planning on running around at half HP and doing no invading, then the regular Pyro flame is the better choice. You should also try just carrying another Great Club around ;)

---

I was playing some Dark Souls 1 tonight and I had forgotten about partial parries.

http://a.pomf.se/ntdsov.webm

It's great to be able to go for parries and not be punished severely for being just a hair off with your timing. Also, at least in PVE, parries are ridiculously easy in DS1! I was parrying absolutely everything without a second thought, and at this point I've played more DS2 than I have DS1.

the starter mace qwns. i've beaten the game twice maining that weapon. its just so hard to switch away from considering how light and fairly quick it is.

i can parry anything in DS1 but i don't even bother trying in DS2, it's a joke, i can't parry anything, it's not fun to even try

Thanks. Well I just found an even more amazing weapon IMO* which is the GIANT warrior club +10. Holy shit this thing owns and I love its moveset! I pair this with the starter mace +10 (which hits hard) and I'm having no issues in NG+, its actually quite easy. I had to give up my Smelter Demon set which I only used because the look but whatever, its wroth the tradeoff. I'm going with an upgraded Vengarl set which is lighter and still has good stats. Oh and for my durability problem I'm just gonna switch out my Ring of steel protection +1 for the Bracing Knuckle ring +2 (the one that adds durability). I'm loving this build so far, 60 STR, everything else balanced and some pyromancy for good measure. I gotta upgrade my glove though.

I'm loving this new drawing from Carson:

tumblr_ndv45vlY5I1rcfcwlo1_500.jpg

His art is so good. You should all check out his Tumblr, if you haven't:

http://carson-drew-it.tumblr.com/

Bonus Manus:

tumblr_ne7yk47W341rcfcwlo1_500.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FROM should've made it easier to get the Lizard Staff, the drop rate on that thing is horrendous. Been farming Black Hollow Mages for a good hour in Undead Purgatory and no drop.

Yes I know the Wisdom Staff is the best sorcery staff but you get it so late in the game, and I want an upgrade over the Sorcery Staff.

Seriously FROM wtf!?

And apparently they patched the red tearstone ring and it no longer buffs magic (just physical attacks) in the game, shitty. I liked the glass cannon build I did in the original DS, dude could go out in one hit sure, but it could also one-shot almost everything in the game.

And apparently they patched the red tearstone ring and it no longer buffs magic (just physical attacks) in the game, shitty. I liked the glass cannon build I did in the original DS, dude could go out in one hit sure, but it could also one-shot almost everything in the game.

One shotting bosses with a hypermode setup was really fun.

Mistel

Banned
Why not get a pilgrim's spontoon as the spells and hexes you cast with it get a very high counter bonus added to the spells.

Mistel

Banned
And yet the boss down there, possibly more than any other, is absolutely fucked-up without player phantoms.
The trio are really unbalanced for a solo player by a fair margin with some of the summon you can do it sort off but they don't last long really.

RIP that first day or so when there were like ~80,000 people playing DS2 on PC ;_;

It was so beautiful!

I wish their development was more dynamic. I could see why they had SM and NG can't play with NG+ when there was a huge population but now that's it's mostly the hardcore playing they should just let it be done by level again. Not being able to get help really sucks.

And yet the boss down there, possibly more than any other, is absolutely fucked-up without player phantoms.

What I did was power-stance KUGSs while wearing full Havels (with the exception of the gauntlets, I had Engraved Gauntlets). With every LT I'd break their poise, then I'd kite them to a stalagmite, get my stamina back, and do it again. They are really annoying without a phantom though, sucks more when you're doing it in NG+ since very few care enough to face them again.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ancient Dragon is super lame as a boss in tactics and overall design. Just a big clunky idiot with a insta-kill fire attack. He was SUPER easy back when the Gower's Ring was still useful, which is now deemed Gomer's Ring (pointless).

All you gotta do is either A) attack his feet and follow the tail whenever he's in the air, or B) stand between his two back legs with the camera facing his head and swing away at his feet until he does the stomp then go to the other foot, rinse and repeat, reason to keep the camera adjusted toward his head is he'll often do a under his body fire breath so you'll need to see it coming and just move to the left or right of whatever leg. Then continue. Beat him at Bonfire Intensity +10 using a +10 Heide Knight Sword, full hollow/half health (Red Tearstone always on just in case). Either tactic he's weak to lightning and Dark buffs/infusions.

Really sad to see From go from the amazing Kalameet boss to these lame as hell Dragon's in #2. Not even any incentive to get more creative and add extra challenge with a tail cut weapon or "beat this way = item". Just, sad. I loved the Kalameet fight, and hoped to see more of that awesome design done in different ways, but nope.

Edit: And a few other retarded annoyances this games has. I'm sure we're all aware of the utterly broken mechanics in many ways and I've already been over this ground so I'm not going to just add to that fray. But here's some things that were obvious things to do, small things that were just neglected for the sake of it.

-Being able to despawn all enemies into extinction, whoever thought that was a good idea was obviously the same guy who thought giving the boss intro's that bloody stupid pulse was a "good idea". They tried to make a excuse for this with Bonfire Ascetics, but that's a super weak excuse, why not just have the Ascetics function like "Soul Tendency" from Demon's so rather than respawning the enemies, you just make them harder, open up more Tendency events, and get far higher loot drops. SM obviously BADDD idea, P2P SL-matchmaking was way better in Dark1, that whole stat should have just been the Item Discovery stat, but now we don't even get that visibility... Just a hope and prayer that gear and Luck coins will pull through...eventually. Stupid, RNG should be replaced by increased drop rates for skillful play, NOT randomization. That's always been a gripe for me with the whole series and why I never got Plat in Demon's. And don't let it carry over to NG+ so you can up the challenge even further this way.

-Repairing and Upgrading weapons/armor. Easy fix here, just make the player use the Blacksmith's until they obtain their hammers, then at any Bonfire you can repair broken shit or upgrade anything you want, aside from Infusions. This was such a simple reward that it baffles me they thought it was a good idea to make the player go out of their way ALL THE TIME to repair/upgrade. Same for leveling, you should have had the choice of some kind to be able to level up at any Bonfire from the start, maybe by killing the Maiden and getting a item, but they had the shoehorn her into the plot so that wasn't doable, but since she's in fact a illusion anyway, it still makes sense to allow players to kill her at the start in Majula and lvl from any Bonfire, could have done some good for alt story stuff too, but too much to ask I guess, or too creative?

-Promo items - W T F! Seriously, WTF. Why can From not do a simple rename for these weapons? Or god forbid maybe a slight move set and/or stat effect and scaling changes? Moonlight Longsword coulda' been awesome, got tons of ideas in my head, does From...no. Just a Blue/Green Longsword. Yeah, just lazy PR development and a lack of real investment into the creativity of any of it.

-Lack of variety in the "weapon type" move sets overall had me really disappointed. Especially when they totally retconed and nerfed the almighty Reinforced Club with zero Bleed effect! WTF! Same for the Great Scythe...no Bleed Effect, are you kidding me? Mace move set same as Morning Star same as Club same as Reinforced Club (what happened to the awesome Club/Reinforced Club/Giant Blacksmith R2's) and so on, Spears, Halberds, Greatswords, Straight swords, list goes on with very few exceptions. Possibly the worst offender is the terrible step back the Zweihander got in it's R2...geez! Not to mention the overall total order of magnitude step back in all types of character animations and weapon animations. It's really just a shame to see the lack of real work put into it. Stone Soldiers are a good example in how they sort of swing their spears around attacking, yet the player just gets the exact same move set of most other spears... Just, amazing to see that. Probably the best weapon and move set added was the Bone Fist imo, Santier's Spear and maybe Twinblades. But overall, it just sucks.

Anyway, enough of me abusing DkS2.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Sinh is an awesome dragon fight.

Yeah, maybe if they didn't make it where I'm tossing Repair Powder around like fairy dust every 30 secs. Maybe it's different on consoles, since weapon durability is halved at 60fps, which is another issue of developer incompetence entirely. But yeah, still not on the level of Kalameet, but def one of the better bosses.

Yeah, maybe if they didn't make it where I'm tossing Repair Powder around like fairy dust every 30 secs. Maybe it's different on consoles, since weapon durability is halved at 60fps, which is another issue of developer incompetence entirely. But yeah, still not on the level of Kalameet, but def one of the better bosses.

I've read that it's to do with his skin being toxic or corrosive... but that might just be some fan-made lore nonsense :p I could only hit Sinh around eight times before my Pursuer's UGS nearly broke.

---

Just had this pretty perfect invasion. I saw his estus flask come out eight times, which is the most I've ever seen in a single fight. Can anyone beat that? And that damn Red Iron Twinblade! If you get caught in a handful of successive attacks you're pretty much done for.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've read that it's to do with his skin being toxic or corrosive... but that might just be some fan-made lore nonsense :p I could only hit Sinh around eight times before my Pursuer's UGS nearly broke.

---

Just had this pretty perfect invasion. I saw his estus flask come out eight times, which is the most I've ever seen in a single fight. Can anyone beat that? And that damn Red Iron Twinblade! If you get caught in a handful of successive attacks you're pretty much done for.

Man what a fucking shithead.

NEO0MJ

Well, he is a poison dragon who polluted an entire city when he was stabbed.

I prefer him over Kalameet. Kalameet struck me as kinda artificial difficulty, not sure if anyone else feels the same way though. I will say that, defeating Kalameet gives you the greatest ring in all of the Soul Series. As for the weapon durability, surprisingly I beat him on NG+ without my weapons breaking. Power-stanced KIUGSs too stronk.

---

Holy shit! Someone ACTUALLY used Splintering Lightning Spear in PvP? I love the RITB, I pull mine out whenever I get invaded. It's super helpful considering it also hits people behind you, so you don't need jesters as much. That ending though
Karmatic Justice! He tried to kill you by pushing you into lava, only to die by the lava himself heh.
As for healing, I don't get peoples hatred against a host healing, you invaded their world and are trying to murder them, they just want to stay alive ;~;.

I guess he managed to heal safe because you were too bond on your primary weapon and dont use your other easy-to-stagger weapons but damm he had huge health to just squessh him to death.

Well, he is a poison dragon who polluted an entire city when he was stabbed.

RIP the dragon on the Gultch

Why not just kill them instead of letting them heal 8 times?

They had weapons that were capable of doing that yet didn't use them for that purpose and let them heal.

They've got a pursuer's ultra greatsword and a alonne greatbow either of those would of sufficed.

Punishing healers is much, MUCH easier said than done. When you have to consider some latency on healing coupled with managing stamina regen, it's basically impossible to keep on top of someone who is that trigger happy with the Estus and wearing the Jester Chest. Would I really have fared better if I had chosen to just fire great arrows and swipe at him with my UGS? They're all much slower and easier to dodge than the lighter weapons I had (all of which broke his poise because he had very little) and if anything I would have given him even more chances to heal because of the enormous stamina drain they both have. He also would have potentially had more chances to attack with his crazy damaging red propellor, which I was very keen to avoid.

As someone who has come across a lot of backstab-proof, high damage dealing estus chuggers (I've only seen a couple others as bad as this one), they're just not that simple to deal with. Someone running away will always be on top of someone who is chasing purely because the chaser will be trying to attack and will have less stamina as a result. The only thing that really works to punish healing is a bonk from a great hammer; and that's only because they do so much damage in a single hit. Even if you go that route you might "miss" them due to latency or you might just simply not be able to close the gap in time to get the heavy attack off.

Saying things like "why did you let them heal?" is silly because it's just not that simple. Everyone who wants to heal will likely be able to do it because it's fast, it comes out of nowhere and is hard to punish in most cases. Unless you are totally on the ball and ready for it the moment it happens, the host will unfortunately get their health back. Basically what I'm saying is that I really miss healing with Humanity in DS1 PVP; It was a lot more balanced than what we have now in DS2.

Sanctuary

Verdict on the DLC counted as a whole? Put almost two weeks into the main game on PS3, but then only played it for a few hours when it was released on PC, and haven't been back since. Which sucks, when you consider I put around 500 hours into Demon's and Dark. Playing Lords of the Fallen just had me thinking about how much better Dark Souls 2 was, even if it was slightly disappointing. Kind of want to play it again, and curious if $30 for the DLC is worth it and about how many hours it gives.

Durante

The DLC absolutely is worth it. It has some fantastic level design, great enemies, and is really meaty.

Also, it has some of the best co-op content in the entire Souls series (which is unsurprising considering that it's the only content specifically designed for co-op).

Top Bottom