• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

neoism

Ah, didn't know bonfire did it. Was used to how it was in the first game. Wonder why my sword would break so fast though, only probably hit 8 enemies.

Anyway, made it to Bastille, went back to majula and bought a ring and jumped down the well, then got kerploded by a kamikaze.
Lolol fucking From the reason is, because of the 60 frames per second some genius tide durability to the frames in the game so it does down twice as fast in the PC version. Just have a few backup weapons you can hold like 5 now if your using a shield.
Also at the start if running past enemies isn't yo thang like you pretty much had to do in ds1 and any particular area is fucking you really bad over and over just despawn the enemies. One of the greasiest things in this game is they gave you to ability to control enemy spawn. After between 10 to 15 kills the enemy doesn't spawn anymore even after you go back to a bonfire. Most DS vets didn't like this but I fucking loved it because anything that gives the player more control is a good thing in my book. Later in the game you get an item that let's you respawn them back and also make that particular area 1 more harder difficult. makes it soo much better than just running past ever thing like you did in the late game of DS...

Mistel

Banned
Most DS vets didn't like this but I fucking loved it because anything that gives the player more control is a good thing in my book.
It does in a rather round about way give you more control but the mechanic does come back around to bite you quite ruthlessly.

If you need to exhaust the enemies in an area in order to run to the boss you're probably doing something else wrong that could use some work to improve your game like upgrading, switching out gear etc. Other than Velstadt what other bosses can be tricky to run to because of enemies along the way?

Drangleic gets lonely really quickly when you despawn everything, I know the last run I did before getting back in to it again recently was to despawn every enemy and kill every NPC. It's much more fun with other hollows around!

Anustart

Oiy, I can't make it to the boss of Bastille without my weapons being at risk lol. And there's like 10 enemies en route. Sword then breaks against the boss. Gonna have to get a back up. Or, does anyone sell repair powder besides the majula smith? He's out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oiy, I can't make it to the boss of Bastille without my weapons being at risk lol. And there's like 10 enemies en route. Sword then breaks against the boss. Gonna have to get a back up. Or, does anyone sell repair powder besides the majula smith? He's out.
Try the window shortcut? Assuming you start from the blacksmith hidden bonfire.

What weapons are you using, did you get the key from the bellfry guys or summon lucatial for easy mobs clearing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm still rocking original swords that came with my swordsman. Haven't summoned anyone and where's the window shortcut lol. I am using the smith fire.
It's hard to explain, so I'll just show you this (skip ahead to about 90 secs if necessary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOCIM2j0oI#t=89
You need to open it from the inside first, obviously. When you open it the first time, it seems like it leads to nowhere, but it's actually a shortcut.

Tarkus

I'm still rocking original swords that came with my swordsman. Haven't summoned anyone and where's the window shortcut lol. I am using the smith fire.
Go up the stairs from the bonfire and kill the fatty and dogs. There's a little alcove to the right where a dog and a corpse lie in wait. Kill the pooch and look down and to left. You should see a doorway. You can walk off the ledge and land in it. Boss is down stairs and up ladder. You have to open it from the other side first before you can do this.

Don't try to run or jump because you won't land in the doorway.

Edit: Oh and there's Heide Knight that drops a decent sword 100% of the time at the beginning of the Forest of the Fallen Giants just after you climb the first ladder. There's also a Fire Longsword a little deeper into the forest. It's in the bottom area outside, below the Cardinal Tower bonfire. Run into the cave with the flame lizard thing and into a room to the left.

Mistel

Banned
By that point there's a large amount of variety of weapons that supersede those two from several different classes. Try experimenting to find the ones that suit you. But if you want some more instantaneous improvement the heide knight sword is a end game capable weapon available very early on from the sullen looking knight in the forest of fallen giants, there's also an abundance of bastard swords from royal soldier drops.

Is this the Ruin Sentinels?

If so, you might want to come back later when your weapon is stronger etc. The Ruin Sentinels can be an early difficulty ramp for a lot of players because of the way you access the Lost Bastille from more than one direction. It is actually an easy boss but only when you know it's patterns and the blinds spots in the fight. Early on it can be frustrating. I think because they didn't care about how each area connected to one another, they intended the player to go to the forest after opening up the Lost Bastile, I would definately head there next for upgrade/story/progress reasons.

Anustart

Is this the Ruin Sentinels?

If so, you might want to come back later when your weapon is stronger etc. The Ruin Sentinels can be an early difficulty ramp for a lot of players because of the way you access the Lost Bastille from more than one direction. It is actually an easy boss but only when you know it's patterns and the blinds spots in the fight. Early on it can be frustrating. I think because they didn't care about how each area connected to one another, they intended the player to go to the forest after opening up the Lost Bastile, I would definately head there next for upgrade/story/progress reasons.

Don't tell me exactly, but is there more in the forest? I reached a door that said show the sign of the king so figured I was done there for a while.

Mistel

Banned
Don't tell me exactly, but is there more in the forest? I reached a door that said show the sign of the king so figured I was done there for a while.
There's a fair bit more to the forest but you cant access it till far later on. There's also soldier's rest and the giant tree, which you can access now.

Anustart

There's a fair bit more to the forest but you cant access it till far later on. There's also soldier's rest and the giant tree, which you can access now.

Had already done soldier's rest, but I did just now kill the pursuer. And dealt with the rat king. Seems only thing I can do now is the bastille boss. Haven't come across giant tree.

Mistel

Banned
Had already done soldier's rest, but I did just now kill the pursuer. And dealt with the rat king. Seems only thing I can do now is the bastille boss. Haven't come across giant tree.
You've been to soldiers rest so you walked passed it likely it only gives you seed of the trees of the giants anyway. You can go further down far further than the rat king that is where you should have a gander.

Anustart

You've been to soldiers rest so you walked passed it likely it only gives you seed of the trees of the giants anyway. You can go further down far further than the rat king that is where you should have a gander.

Oh goody, I found Blighttown 2: The Blightening down there. Hope it's as good :3

Anustart

Dunno how far I was supposed to run down the gutter, but I found a cure for petrified lady so I went and gave her some new threads and wandered out into the great forest beyond.

I used to do a lot of level 1 runs in Dark Souls 1, and just few days ago, I decided to do one in Dark Souls 2 for the first time.

After completing the game, I decided to see how far can I go with Fume Knight. And just yesterday I killed him on NG+7 with the Company of Champions as my covenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCm41LxrKq4

It felt soooo good when I actually killed him, but there's no way I'm going to do something like that ever again.

That was impressive D:

2AdEPT

Thank you :)

I tried to do this with
Burnt Ivory King
, and those stupid gank squad killed me every time lol.
I might try again some time later.

I really hated that fight even without trying to challenge myself as the gank squad is hard to attack with such a short reach fists only. After fighting
Alonne
though the
burnt king
moveset is slower and much more manageable for some reason, so although I saved it for last it really wasnt as hard as I originally thought. The best souls bosses make you learn the attacks and gank squad is simply annoying...I understand why they do it though, i.e. trying to get more online activity, notwithstanding I hope bloodborne is balanced better such that the difficulty is a varied attack pattern and smart AI of the boss, not simply too many enemies at once.

With regard to the
sentinel
boss route..I always died more trying the short cut than simply running past all the enemies....that boss is one of the more simple ones to speed run to....just roll down the stairs as soon as you open the metal door and sprint to the ladder back up.

chunk3rvd

Dunno how far I was supposed to run down the gutter, but I found a cure for petrified lady so I went and gave her some new threads and wandered out into the great forest beyond.

Have you been to Huntsman's Copse yet? I generally find that and the 2 areas following it to be easier than Lost Bastille and Shaded Woods. Blighttown 2.0 isn't too bad either once you get all the torches lit

NixForlorn

Neo Member
I really hated that fight even without trying to challenge myself as the gank squad is hard to attack with such a short reach fists only. After fighting
Alonne
though the
burnt king
moveset is slower and much more manageable for some reason, so although I saved it for last it really wasnt as hard as I originally thought. The best souls bosses make you learn the attacks and gank squad is simply annoying...I understand why they do it though, i.e. trying to get more online activity, notwithstanding I hope bloodborne is balanced better such that the difficulty is a varied attack pattern and smart AI of the boss, not simply too many enemies at once.

With regard to the
sentinel
boss route..I always died more trying the short cut than simply running past all the enemies....that boss is one of the more simple ones to speed run to....just roll down the stairs as soon as you open the metal door and sprint to the ladder back up.
I feel like when ever DkS2 devs struggle to make a boss more difficult, they just add some enemies with the boss just to annoy you. Just like what they did with the
Royal Rat Authority
, which is one of the worst boss fights in my opinion.

Today I learned you can do plunging attack on the Mastadons (with that boar/giant rat animation in DS1) and they also drop Awestones, which I've never seen before. I am in the Company of Champions maybe that's why?

Also the chuckling hollows in Grave of Saints can drop Simpleton's Spices. I'm having a good loot day!

Mistel

Banned
Not too shabby, getting the HD version? I'm thinking of picking it up and running the DLC, since I haven't bought it yet.
Why're you interested if I am or not?
PvP is that worthwhile?
Depends if you can deal with the lag and the complete mishmash of unbalanced things in one sandbox that sorta works on the one hand yet really doesn't if you look at its issues. Some things work well others not so much.
I am in the Company of Champions maybe that's why?
That's the way the awestone drops work they will not drop unless you're in the covenant.

That's the way the awestone drops work they will not drop unless you're in the covenant.
Right. I just thought only red phantoms dropped them, didn't know Mastadons did too. Makes me wonder what other enemies do if any. I despawned Doors of Pharros and ended up getting about half a dozen from the 4 in there so the drop rate is rare but not terrible.

Mistel

Banned
Right. I just thought only red phantoms dropped them, didn't know Mastadons did too. Makes me wonder what other enemies do if any. I despawned Doors of Pharros and ended up getting about half a dozen from the 4 in there so the drop rate is rare but not terrible.
The werid dogs in the gutter, hipppo cyclops's, old kinghts, and flame salamanders do off the top of my head probably more than those I mentioned.

The werid dogs in the gutter, hipppo cyclops's, old kinghts, and flame salamanders do off the top of my head probably more than those I mentioned.
wat. I had no idea. Why am I here asceticing the Grave of Saints, I've wasted my life killing Rhoy the Explorer!

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/awestone

Rare enemy drops:

Flame Salamanders in Forest of Fallen Giants
Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame
Enhanced Undead in Sinner's Rise
Forest Guardians in Shaded Woods
Primal Knights in Doors of Pharros
Hunting Dogs in the Gutter
Razorback Nightcrawlers in Black Gulch
Coal Tar in Black Gulch
Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic Castle
Stone Knights in King's Passage
Leydia Witches in Undead Crypt
Ogres in Things Betwixt, Shrine of Amana and Aldia's Keep
Mirror Squires in Aldia's Keep
Dragon Knights in Dragon Shrine
Elite Giants in Memory of Vammar

Wow I never knew.

Anustart

I'm really digging the game, though I'm sad I haven't found an armor set similar to the one I rocked in Dark Souls 1. Was the shadow garbs I believe, looked like some kinda bad ass ninja.

I tried out some other weapons, but I went back to the starting swordsman swords. I like the quickness, stamina useage and moves.

Mistel

Banned
I'm really digging the game, though I'm sad I haven't found an armor set similar to the one I rocked in Dark Souls 1. Was the shadow garbs I believe, looked like some kinda bad ass ninja.

I tried out some other weapons, but I went back to the starting swordsman swords. I like the quickness, stamina useage and moves.
There is a set that is similar but not that much the shadow set. If you like those types of weapons the straightswords and curved swords there's more powerful options than those two. But they may not have the same moveset not that is really a big issue, powerstancing offers variety too by giving an additional moveset.

Anustart

I do have an old knight halberd that I tried out. I like the range but I have a fat roll with it. Puts me at 71.5%. I might put a point in vigor and use it for a while in my left hand.

I do have an old knight halberd that I tried out. I like the range but I have a fat roll with it. Puts me at 71.5%. I might put a point in vigor and use it for a while in my left hand.

Just try taking off an armor piece. You likely won't notice the difference in damage taken.

You need some good points on vigor to proper use heavy weapons like 30-40 with medium armor. Also heavy armor not equal a visible less damage but less stun.

Anustart

Killed the bastille trio, skeleton trio and now I'm lost again. Seems only thing I can do is kill the rotten. In Dark Souls I never really had to wander around trying to find a place to go, but here it happens a lot :/ I'm failing at finding new locations.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Killed the bastille trio, skeleton trio and now I'm lost again. Seems only thing I can do is kill the rotten. In Dark Souls I never really had to wander around trying to find a place to go, but here it happens a lot :/ I'm failing at finding new locations.
There's a passage you can enter after you defeat the skeleton lords, takes you to a whole new area.

neoism

Like just shy of three and a half weeks by like 10 hours give or take a few hours.

damn D: I'm proud of meh 225h still not really done with the game though will definitely come back for a NG++ for the pc patch not gonna buy it again... I couldn't with any of the other versions, with sweetfx and mods and all... DX 9 will have to do for me... Still cant fucking wait for TRUE next gen DS in like 2016-17 when I have an upgraded pc.

neoism

meh you'll be playing fashion souls before long ;P there is a ninja like set but its a true bitch to get..... I used the same one in DS with the flip ring it was awesome lol

Anustart

meh you'll be playing fashion souls before long ;P there is a ninja like set but its a true bitch to get..... I used the same one in DS with the flip ring it was awesome lol

I wish it were now I was playing Fashion Souls :3 My outfit sucks :(

There's a passage you can enter after you defeat the skeleton lords, takes you to a whole new area.

Oh yeah, I went down there but forgot about it since I left for some reason. Seems I need to put my rings on because I'm getting 1 shotted by fire ladies in there lol.

Oh yeah, I went down there but forgot about it since I left for some reason. Seems I need to put my rings on because I'm getting 1 shotted by fire ladies in there lol.
Fire ladies? Do you mean the cave part with the necromancers shooting magic and skeletons? That's not the passage from the Skeleton Lords boss room itself. It's a short tunnel from the boss room (to the left of the main entrance) with another big drawbridge. Bring some
poison moss!

chunk3rvd

He may be on about the pyromancers in Earthern Peak? There is one tricky room above the elevator near Pate but it's optional for now. The path to the boss has 2 pyromancers but they can be taken out sneakily by
breaking the poison jars next to them with an iron arrow. The poison will finish them off in seconds!
Behind those pyromancers is an NPC you can summon with some fire of his own all that will destroy everything in your path for the rest of the level (including the boss). He's basically this games TARKUS!

Top Bottom