• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

chunk3rvd

Just means some of the item descriptions have changed. One known example is that the description on Soul of the Last Giant now confirms that he is the Giant Lord you defeat in Memory of Jeigh

SoldnerKei

Just means some of the item descriptions have changed. One known example is that the description on Soul of the Last Giant now confirms that he is the Giant Lord you defeat in Memory of Jeigh

lol I didn't know about that, poor dude, we just screwed him up twice in the whole game then

is there any other description that changed? I don't mind getting spoiled

Mistel

Banned
I do have an old knight halberd that I tried out. I like the range but I have a fat roll with it. Puts me at 71.5%. I might put a point in vigor and use it for a while in my left hand.
Old knight weapons have very low durability so if you want to use one you really need repair powder and bracing knuckle rings. Two handing the halberd gives a useful spin attack that has pretty decent range and rather high damage with maxed halberds.
is there any other description that changed? I don't mind getting spoiled
There is probably more than a few that have changed like the last giants one. Not all of them have as the rottens and veldstadts souls are the same along with the watchdragon parma (which now has the item boost up symbol when equiped).

Killed the bastille trio, skeleton trio and now I'm lost again. Seems only thing I can do is kill the rotten. In Dark Souls I never really had to wander around trying to find a place to go, but here it happens a lot :/ I'm failing at finding new locations.

Small corridors really break the inmersion of looking for new areas, there is a small corridor in the skeletons dudes that can take you to another area but is not noticeable at first.

so reading about the new expansion, any idea what this means?

Pretty much items descriptions that connects the dots for you. I wonder who is the pale one mostly every npc was talking about.

What's the best platform to buy Dark Souls 2, and is the Collectors Edition worth it? There's a PS3 CE nearby I might nab.

PC and PS3 are the best platform to play, the LE is not really worth it unless you can find it pretty cheap aside from the figure there is nothing interesting (I bought the steelcase edition). And probably you could wait for the incoming SotfS edition that have all the dlc and exclusive extras

PC and PS3 are the best platform to play, the LE is not really worth it unless you can find it pretty cheap aside from the figure there is nothing interesting (I bought the steelcase edition). And probably you could wait for the incoming SotfS edition that have all the dlc and exclusive extras

I forgot about that one. Ok, I'll hold off then since I still have half of Dark Souls and all of Demon's to still go through. Cheers!

Tarkus

Killed the bastille trio, skeleton trio and now I'm lost again. Seems only thing I can do is kill the rotten. In Dark Souls I never really had to wander around trying to find a place to go, but here it happens a lot :/ I'm failing at finding new locations.
You can also go back to the bridge approach bonfire in Huntsman's and hang a right after crossing the bridge, then cross a second bridge to a new area. You should try luring them out one at a time. :p

Anustart

Killed the boss at the windmill. I tried stacking as much poison resist as I could because of that damn pool, luckily I burned the windmill after a while and that made quite the difference lol.

Hey guys, I've a question regarding Scholar of the First Sin.

I currently have the PC version of the game, No DLCs. Will SOTFS be avaiable as an upgrade for pre-existing owners or will it be a completely separate compilation?

Anustart

Been poking around trying to find items I might have missed. Grabbed a bunch from an area in the shaded woods. Place near the scorpion king and the huge peepers. Found a locked door I don't know how to open yet and apparently I need a ring to speak with dwayne johnson. Came upon the Iron Castle earlier as well. I think I'll go back to searching old areas for stuff missed.

Tarkus

Been poking around trying to find items I might have missed. Grabbed a bunch from an area in the shaded woods. Place near the scorpion king and the huge peepers. Found a locked door I don't know how to open yet and apparently I need a ring to speak with dwayne johnson. Came upon the Iron Castle earlier as well. I think I'll go back to searching old areas for stuff missed.
Did you get a certain halberd with a high AR or buy some excellent weapons from the head merchant?

Anustart

Did you get a certain halberd with a high AR or buy some excellent weapons from the head merchant?

I bought some stuff from the head, dunno about a halberd. Did find a ring though.

Many hours ago I went back to the cathedral in forest of giants with the intention of offing that damn fire lizard. I poison him a couple times and finally, revenge for him killing me before. I jump down to claim my prizes!

...there was another :|

Offed him after coming back, and another in the hole, then the last got stuck running in a wall so I let him live.

Tarkus

I bought some stuff from the head, dunno about a halberd. Did find a ring though.

Many hours ago I went back to the cathedral in forest of giants with the intention of offing that damn fire lizard. I poison him a couple times and finally, revenge for him killing me before. I jump down to claim my prizes!

...there was another :|

Offed him after coming back, and another in the hole, then the last got stuck running in a wall so I let him live.
If you like swords, I suggest buying a Claymore off of him and playing around with its moveset and reach. It's perfect for me, a STR/DEX build.

Anustart

If you like swords, I suggest buying a Claymore off of him and playing around with its moveset and reach. It's perfect for me, a STR/DEX build.

I'll check it out. Right now I'm using a warped sword +2 and my +4 scimitar.

So while exploring the Bastille I came across an underground area, and fought the boss there. I was surprised when it dropped a lord soul as he was quite easy. Anyone know what key I need down here to open these doors?

I'm finding this dual wielding is a lot of fun and more fulfilling thatn my shield turtling I did in Ds 1.

I'll check it out. Right now I'm using a warped sword +2 and my +4 scimitar.

So while exploring the Bastille I came across an underground area, and fought the boss there. I was surprised when it dropped a lord soul as he was quite easy. Anyone know what key I need down here to open these doors?

I'm finding this dual wielding is a lot of fun and more fulfilling thatn my shield turtling I did in Ds 1.

The key is hidden in a different side of Bastille that you can access by going to Bastille after defeating Pursuer. Now that you beat the boss, the key isn't necessary, but there are a few items to pick up if you have it and explore everywhere.

The boss used to be quite a bit more difficult, but From nerfed it way back. It is more challenging on NG+ however

Anustart

Beat those damn gargoyles in the bell tower. Got invaded a ton in there as well. The first guy who invaded tried to attack as I was doing praise the sun gesture, I rolled out of it and backstabbed him, then beat on him until he was just about dead, then he went running upstairs to wait for backup.

And another time a guy invaded I rang the bell, then me and him had a sweet gesture-off and jolly merriment til a second bell bro arrived and wanted to fight.

chunk3rvd

Beat those damn gargoyles in the bell tower. Got invaded a ton in there as well. The first guy who invaded tried to attack as I was doing praise the sun gesture, I rolled out of it and backstabbed him, then beat on him until he was just about dead, then he went running upstairs to wait for backup.

And another time a guy invaded I rang the bell, then me and him had a sweet gesture-off and jolly merriment til a second bell bro arrived and wanted to fight.

If you ran into a guy weilding a large club in the bell tower last night that might have been me! First time I've used heavy weapons so it's a bit of an adjustment for me but I had fun pancaking people with it when I could land the R2

Also, there's no reason you can't get that Scimitar to at least +7 based on where you're up to. Should bump your damage output a bit. There's an item in the first few minutes of Iron Keep that (in a roundabout way) gets you access to purchasing unlimited Large Titanite which will get you to +6. You should also have a couple of chunks by now based on where you've explored to take it even further

Anustart

If you ran into a guy weilding a large club in the bell tower last night that might have been me! First time I've used heavy weapons so it's a bit of an adjustment for me but I had fun pancaking people with it when I could land the R2

Also, there's no reason you can't get that Scimitar to at least +7 based on where you're up to. Should bump your damage output a bit. There's an item in the first few minutes of Iron Keep that (in a roundabout way) gets you access to purchasing unlimited Large Titanite which will get you to +6. You should also have a couple of chunks by now based on where you've explored to take it even further

I believe there was a club wielding maniac on the loose that I saw :3 And yeah, I got some chunks and a slab I think. Large titanite has been evading me. I read earlier that I could farm it in the gulch, but maybe I'll explore the keep some more and see what's up.

What shows up online, my character name, or steam account name?

chunk3rvd

I believe there was a club wielding maniac on the loose that I saw :3 And yeah, I got some chunks and a slab I think. Large titanite has been evading me. I read earlier that I could farm it in the gulch, but maybe I'll explore the keep some more and see what's up.

What shows up online, my character name, or steam account name?

Black Gulch is good for farming large shards and chunks but before you go there I'd get the Gold Serpent Ring +1 to increase your item discovery. It's near the start of the Iron Keep but getting it can be a little obscure
spend at least 10,000 souls with the merchant near the start then talk to him and he'll give the ring to you
. When farming you should also wear either the Jester's Hat or Travelling Merchant Hat and Prisoner's Tatters on your chest if you have them to keep item discovery as high as possible

Also, fire arrows purchased from the merchant in Brightstone Cove make farming the Black Gulch a lot easier. If you shoot a fire arrow at the tar pools they light on fire which kills the creepy hand monsters inside that drop large shards and chunks. You can kill them all from a distance that way and the only thing to watch for is the poison statues

Anustart

Been out on walkabout today gathering supplies and precious souls. Dropped another lord soul bearer and I'm one step closer to being KING OF DRANGLEIC! Screw curing the curse, I want to rule with an iron fist.

Mistel

Banned
Been out on walkabout today gathering supplies and precious souls. Dropped another lord soul bearer and I'm one step closer to being KING OF DRANGLEIC! Screw curing the curse, I want to rule with an iron fist.
Rather ironically they're not even required to collect, barely even that strong anyway not even lord souls.

Anustart

Of course not, there's only 1 lord soul in Drangleic, and it belongs to me, Moleman.

Edit: Killed Dukes Dear Freja on first try. I dunno if it was weak to fire but I assumed since it was a spider so I charcoaled up. Also found a dull ember to make that one blacksmith stop being lazy. Now if I only knew what making a weapon mundane, raw, etc did.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
First controller to have ever gotten destroyed for this game. It truly is a piece of shit C-tier shitfest. Honestly, From Software made a one-hit wonder with Demon's Souls because the company itself is abysmal-tier and comparable with turds like Konami PS3-era.

It's almost as if I don't want to buy their next turd, because they've made two anus games out of three. Why risk it?

M92bjaB.jpg

Tarkus

Of course not, there's only 1 lord soul in Drangleic, and it belongs to me, Moleman.

Edit: Killed Dukes Dear Freja on first try. I dunno if it was weak to fire but I assumed since it was a spider so I charcoaled up. Also found a dull ember to make that one blacksmith stop being lazy. Now if I only knew what making a weapon mundane, raw, etc did.
Funny, I couldn't remember fighting Duke's Dear Freja and didn't have her soul. I had to go co-op her to jog my memory. She must've been super easy. I vaguely remember Vengarl's body and his dialog had changed when I talked to him. That's what I get for playing Drunk Souls.

First controller to have ever gotten destroyed for this game. It truly is a piece of shit C-tier shitfest. Honestly, From Software made a one-hit wonder with Demon's Souls because the company itself is abysmal-tier and comparable with turds like Konami PS3-era.

It's almost as if I don't want to buy their next turd, because they've made two anus games out of three. Why risk it?

It also destroyed my lock on stick in my 360 controller but dont worry the next one is more like hit and dash canceling like there is not tomorrow

Tarkus

It's not nice to throw things. Surely you jest. The predecessor is flawed, but still, it's an undeniable masterpiece. Nowhere near turd-tier.
BTW, I absolutely crushed someone with "Yoshi" in their PSN name last weekend. It was in Belfry Sol or Drangleic Castle...might have been you :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's not nice to throw things. Surely you jest. The predecessor is flawed, but still, it's an undeniable masterpiece. Nowhere near turd-tier.
BTW, I absolutely crushed someone with "Yoshi" in their PSN name last weekend. It was in Belfry Sol or Drangleic Castle...might have been you :p
You wouldn't crush me. That wasn't me.

fuck

Anustart

I'm tired of trying to jump to the pillar in the iron castle for whatever item is on that dead body. My guy won't jump, he raises a knee but gains no height every time and I just plummet into the lava. What the fuck.

Booshka

M92bjaB.jpg

Dark Souls 1 is a masterpiece, your first playthrough was for like 50 hours straight (or more?) and you had a severe finger injury while you did it. You are also a bit crazy and overreact all the time, evidenced by your reaction to the press releases of every newly announced Souls game + Bloodborne, and this post.

Calm down, play Bloodborne in responsible chunks of time, don't break your shit, and if you injure yourself, seek medical help instead of gaming through it. Hell, if I played pre-patch Lost Izalith and ToTG with an infected finger, which was dizzying my mind, along with sleep deprivation, then I might have hated the last half of Dark Souls like you do, too.

Yoshichan

Eh, it's not like I gave DkS(1) twenty other chances. I've played approx. 400 hours of it and still consider it absolutely trash (after >50%) - so I think it's fair that I can say whatever I want about the game. My opinion is the valid minority - but I can't blame most people who hold it as the greatest thing ever. For most people (probably 90%), it was their first Souls.

They patched Lost Shitalith? What're the changes?

Booshka

Eh, it's not like I gave DkS(1) twenty other chances. I've played approx. 400 hours of it and still consider it absolutely trash (after >50%) - so I think it's fair that I can say whatever I want about the game. My opinion is the valid minority - but I can't blame most people who hold it as the greatest thing ever. For most people (probably 90%), it was their first Souls.

They patched Lost Shitalith? What're the changes?

They patched the whole game, after 400 hours you didnt notice? The aggro is toned down across the board, and Lost Izalith and its Dino Butts with aggro toned down isn't much of a problem now. It's by no means a fun or well designed area, but at least it isn't an absolute chore to get through like it used to be.

Seeing as how you hate the last half of Dark Souls, post O & S is a huge letdown I agree, you should do what I suggested a while ago. Get to O & S normally, do Painted World, get the Broken Pendant, complete the DLC, Kalameet included, and tell me it's not at least on par with Demon's Souls.

Yoshichan

Get to O & S normally, do Painted World, get the Broken Pendant, complete the DLC, Kalameet included, and tell me it's not at least on par with Demon's Souls.
I have. And yes, that is indeed on par with Demon's Souls. I've always said this - <50% is so, SO fucking good.

Anustart

What pillar? The one in the broken stairs?

It's the one in the first area with couple sniper's, the area just past the first fire-breating horse statue with the item. I got to the pillar by jumping from a different ledge, but it seems jumping from the bridge you raise/lower is glitchy. I tried countless times, got 90,000 souls in the process and cleared the area. Every jump just made me raise a knee and fall straight down, first jump off the other ledge near it first time no problem, got height just fine.

Tarkus

I have. And yes, that is indeed on par with Demon's Souls. I've always said this - <50% is so, SO fucking good.
I'll use Metallica albums as an analogy. Demon's Souls is like Ride the Lightning, where everything clicked and we definitely saw the vision the artist was looking for. Many thought this would be hard to top because it played so brilliantly. Dark Souls is like Master of Puppets in that the first half is absolute perfection, but the second half is less so. Still, the second half was great and infinitely memorable. Dark Souls II is like ...And Justice for All. Technically, it is far superior. The PVP works great except for the occasional lag. Summoning/invading is much more immediate. The movesets for weapons are much better thought out and sorcery is actually viable. It tried to outdo it's predecessors in every way, but came up short in terms of heart and content. Regardless, it bashes us over the head with difficulty and sheer numbers. It's easy to denigrate Dark Souls II when comparing to its past, but remember, the team that made it is its own entity, and IMO, they did a fine job.

If there is a Dark Souls III, it will probably be done by the so-called B team since Miyazaki is committed to Bloodborne; which looks great. I for one, will be much appreciative when it comes. This series has never let me down. My only wish is that I would have discovered it earlier.

Anustart

So far I'd say I enjoy DS 2 over the first. Only thing I wish is more of the bosses should have been out there. I haven't come across anything like the gaping dragon yet and I'm sad because of that.

And DS 2's lava area >> DS 1 lava area. I also liked The Gutter because of how damn dark it was before I lit it up like christmas. Though I also really liked Anor Londo in the first because it was some untouched holy place that not even time could destroy.

Bah, I like em both equally.

Just saw Lobos get a seppuku kill on Sir Alonne, NG+7 Champions Covenant. Crazy.

I'm not sure I know of anybody better at Souls PVE than Lobos.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Eh, it's not like I gave DkS(1) twenty other chances. I've played approx. 400 hours of it and still consider it absolutely trash
lol

If you spend 400 hours on something you consider to be "absolute trash", that says more about you than it does about the product. Ditto for any literal broken controllers, btw.

Anustart

I only noticed it while watching the spiders in the crystal area, but the way from optimized by having reduced animation at a distance is comical. So weird to watch them move around like that lol.

Top Bottom