• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

gblues

Banned
I've been away from this game for awhile. Have they fixed the glitch where weapons break faster if the game is running at 60fps vs 30?

Mistel

Banned
That's not how you do balance. You don't just make something completely useless because it was good before.
How is it completely useless by having reduced casts along with reduced damage? They shouldn't be able to deal as much damage as they did before it furthers the divide which is present between melee and FTH/INT/HEX builds which was and still is present.

Mistel

Banned
Because it's shit for PvE, the thing I actually play? Feels like PvE suffering because of dumbass PvP is the story of Dark Souls 2, really.
Then how would you have balanced it with regards to that of a melee build? it already has further range, and you can get large number of replenishable casts of it. You could even count the 120% damage it deals from a direct hit. It's the lowest member of the lightning spear group it has no reason to compete directly with melee.

Might want to quote/link those screenshots Havel.

Havel

Then how would you have balanced it with regards to that of a melee build? it already has further range, and you can get large number of replenishable casts of it. You could even count the 120% damage it deals from a direct hit. It's the lowest member of the lightning spear group it has no reason to compete directly with melee.

Might want to quote/link those screenshots Havel.

Yeah, good point.

So why is Lightning Spear still garbage?

Melee crybabies.

Because casters were overcoming melee players so hard, LS was demolishing every other type of spell since you could get 35 uses nearly instant high damage spell which was insane compared to pyromancy and corcery without any risk.

Then FROM decided to nerf sorceries in PVE , nerf casting time for pyros and of course FROM decided to ignore their baby Hex class and buff it.

Raide

Urrgghh. £11.09 on Steam. Kinda tempted but the lack of included Season Pass is annoying. Very tempting at that price.

I've played a decent amount of the DLC's, and

Sunken Crown: Best, most consistent one. First boss fight is kind of lame. Area looks cool, enemy encounters are manageable except the triple ghost warrior stuff in an optional area. Main boss is pretty neat but constantly screws me up because his attacks look like but have different timings than Kalameet's. Gank Squad is so ridiculous I imagine they wanted people to summon and do a 3 on 3, otherwise it's a terrible idea.

Iron Crown: Thoroughly okay. Enemies are a little overpowered and the "puzzle battle" where you have to push the barrel hollows into the pit or else the fight is nearly impossible is kind of dumb. Fume Knight's fireball attack shouldn't be able to kill you instantly, but other than that he's pretty much a typical Dark Souls 2 boss. Stand back, wait for him to use a heavy attack, roll straight through it and chop the back of his knees. The very bad, though: Iron Corridor is horrific and all you get for struggling through it is a reskinned boss. No thanks.
Sir Alonne
is cool, but the path to get to him is awful. I've had more than enough of these Alonne bastards and their hyper anime speed when the game is running at 60 fps.

Ivory Crown: I know I'm pretty negative about Dark Souls 2 already, but this is just everything that went wrong with Dark Souls 2. A boss who's a total damage sponge and kills you in 2 hits (my weapon almost broke, so I had to switch weapons and remove my armor to finish because this thing has so much health), the game punishes you for advancing the plot, enemies that do huge damage, do 3 hit combos that are constantly tracking you and only stagger after 2 hits, constant mob battles. Even the final boss of the dlc is
a mob battle specifically designed to be unfair until you backtrack and find some allies... who do barely any damage and only exist to draw aggro.
. Bad bad bad.

I'm back at the DLCs too right now in fact, still leaving the Iron Passage for last, otherwise DLC 2 all done. I get completely turned around in that place, a couple of times I had to go back to the very first bonfire and make my way down to familiarize myself with the layout. I like it though, but I think DLC1 is my favourite in terms of level design.

DLC1 all done except for Gank Squad, seriously terrible boss. Don't care if it's optional, it's existence is offensive. If they wanted people to do this fight co-op I think they went the wrong way about it, I've been sat at the bonfire for ages and not seen a single summon sign, where as I was getting summoned non-stop for Sinh.
On the top of, I don't see why people cream over Sinh and Kalameet - because they're dragons? All the fights seem to be is chasing them down. I find it more tedious than fun, I really like Sinh's boss theme though, easily one of the best in the game.

DLC3 I've yet to do other than touching the first bonfire - this was the one that made me feel I'd had enough the first time around, I just couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for it, the enemy types are just more of the same boring, slow combo-ing dumb humanoids. It's certainly a pretty area, but so is DLC#2.

Overall I like the level designs of all 3, but not the actual gameplay and enemy encounters, and the bosses of all 3 do very little for me. I think Sir Alonne is another favourite? Again I get very little from that first, more chasing down, get in a hit if you're lucky before he jumps out. I guess he doesn't have a team of minions so that's something I suppose, but that boss run, jesus - and the bonfire is outside the area because what everyone loves about DS2 is the additional loading screens they built in to the game (to level up, repair, upgrade etc)

edit - Now I realise why there's no summons at the gank squad bonfire. I'd forgotten it had one of those summon areas and another stupid gauntlet between the bonfire and boss. This fight is hilarious, I went for a backstab on the archer, I was behind him he fired an arrow the exact opposite direction to me and I got hit with it. He was still facing away from me as I got knocked down, behind him. Dark Souls 2.

Mikey Jr.

I have no idea if this series is for me...

I bought ds1 yesterday and have been playing it for a while. I got up to the gargoyle fight.

I get why people like the series, and I enjoyed playing it. I'm ok with dieing, but fuck man, I'm on the verge of quitting every time I have to trudge back to where I died. Playing the same section over and over and over don't think is for me.

Especially how slow paced you have to be sometimes. And yes, I know about the shortcuts.

Sucks because I want to be hyped with everyone else for bloodborne, but I just can't. I got to the gargoyle, I feel like I gave the game a fair shot.

Is there any mods out there that will allow save States?

Tarkus

I'm getting a big time Demon's Souls vibe from Shrine of Amana. I've only lit the bonfire as of yet. Maybe it's the music.

I have no idea if this series is for me...

I bought ds1 yesterday and have been playing it for a while. I got up to the gargoyle fight.

I get why people like the series, and I enjoyed playing it. I'm ok with dieing, but fuck man, I'm on the verge of quitting every time I have to trudge back to where I died. Playing the same section over and over and over don't think is for me.

Especially how slow paced you have to be sometimes. And yes, I know about the shortcuts.

Sucks because I want to be hyped with everyone else for bloodborne, but I just can't. I got to the gargoyle, I feel like I gave the game a fair shot.

Is there any mods out there that will allow save States?

Did you get your weapon upgraded to +5 at least? It will really mess up the "gargoyle" then.
Yes, uhhhh, "gargoyle." I won't spoil anything.

The first playthrough can be a slog sometimes. Pretty much everyone is going to have a "This game is really fundamentally repetitive" moment at some point during the whole Undead Burg-Undead Parish stuff.

There's a DS1 community thread too Mickey Jr., head on over if you need more help :)

Sometimes getting over a hurdle in Souls can be as simple as upgrading your weapon (which is far more important in this series than leveling up is, which is the opposite way round to a lot of games) or finding equipment that better suits your playstyle.

Tell us what weapons you're using and your stats. A 100% physical block shield is a must, and stamina management is very important - if you've ever been staggered by an enemy hit it means it completely depleted your stamina bar, dodging hits rather than blocking them is usually better and there are fast and slower rolls and running speeds depending on your equipment burden - below 25% of your total gives you the fastest roll/run and makes dodging easier because of the i-frames during the roll, you can roll through an attack animation and it won't hit you, allowing you to attack immediately as the roll finishes. Try taking off some armour ro using lighter pieces and see if you prefer the faster movement if you aren't already.

When (if?) it clicks, Souls can one of the best gaming experiences ever. :)

KaneU

Where do I summon Lucatiel of Mirrah? I really need her help at that boss at Sinner's Rise, I already helped some people beat it as a white phantom and they already had Lucatiel with them...

Where do I summon Lucatiel of Mirrah? I really need her help at that boss at Sinner's Rise, I already helped some people beat it as a white phantom and they already had Lucatiel with them...
Summon sign is at the bottom of the lift down to the Last Sinner. Did you talk to her in the tower before McDuff's bonfire, I think you need to talk to her before her summon sign shows(?)

KaneU

Summon sign is at the bottom of the lift down to the Last Sinner. Did you talk to her in the tower before McDuff's bonfire, I think you need to talk to her before her summon sign shows(?)

Oh... thanks! Yes, I already talked to her. Funny thing is that I was never in a human form at the elevator, I was only in human form in the area in front of the boss door after I helped others beat him...

Oh... thanks! Yes, I already talked to her. Funny thing is that I was never in a human form at the elevator, I was only in human form in the area in front of the boss door after I helped others beat him...
Try to make sure lucatiel survives the fight, since you need her to do so 3 times. Can just ascetic the rotten if you didn't do it through all the fights she's available for tho

KaneU

Try to make sure lucatiel survives the fight, since you need her to do so 3 times. Can just ascetic the rotten if you didn't do it through all the fights she's available for tho

thanks for the tip!

I am patiently waiting by the boss door with Lucaitel by my side for another summon sign to appear so that we all make it out alive, and I don't lose my 40k souls... just hope there is a bonfire after this boss!

KaneU

I wanna fucking die right now!

Lucaitel fell into the deep water while I was waiting for a summon sign to appear, and now her summon sign is also gone... is she gone for good?

Mistel

Banned
I wanna fucking die right now!

Lucaitel fell into the deep water while I was waiting for a summon sign to appear, and now her summon sign is also gone... is she gone for good?
Save and quit then her sign will pop back up. Just run straight to the fog door then once you enter she'll come in after you, saves her from offing herself with her awful pathfinding.

KaneU

Save and quit then her sign will pop back up. Just run straight to the fog door then once you enter she'll come in after you, saves her from offing herself with her awful pathfinding.

yeah, luckily I could summon her again. I just met her at the completely different place too :D

Elyeum Loyce - why did they make such a lovely looking area so shitty to play? It has great level design, is one of the best looking areas in the game - but the enemies and bosses are rubbish. The Frozen Outskirts and the Old Chaos is just unforgivably poor judgement on the dev's part. I feel like they've fundamentally misunderstood what makes the series so great, it's about as far from Souls as I want to ever see the series go.

I plan to take this character into NG+ and beyond but I'll be skipping the whole of DLC#3. I had more fun with Sunken City and DLC#2 even with their own shortcomings.

Mistel

Banned
DLC 3 has some pretty decent equipment in it. Other than the bosses I didn't think it was that bad, there were some spots that were a bit dire though like the bit with not so friendly maldron and killer rabbits.

The first dlc I thought was the worst one overall.

I think the first DLC tells you more about "Yup, you are screwed if you dont play they way we want you to play" for the incoming DLCs

I don't have an issue with that for the DLC. I kind of like how each DLC turned certain conventions on their heads and challenged specific playstyles to break out and do something different. Each one also had a unique environmental/level design mechanic to mix things up. As an entirely optional part of the game, this is refreshing and fun.

I don't have an issue with that for the DLC. I kind of like how each DLC turned certain conventions on their heads and challenged specific playstyles to break out and do something different. Each one also had a unique environmental/level design mechanic to mix things up. As an entirely optional part of the game, this is refreshing and fun.

Is not entirely optional since is tied to Vendrik and retcon parts of the core game.

I think the first DLC tells you more about "Yup, you are screwed if you dont play they way we want you to play" for the incoming DLCs
I see this too. It seems to me they aimed them at high level character say at least SL200 and up, which is nuts to me but whatever. I'd never want to do a SL1 run of DS2 including the DLC!

I can't get my head around the Old Chaos boss fight though, what a clusterfuck. It's like the exact opposite of what I want from Souls. I think this would be a decent preview of what the increased player PvP will be like in the upcoming GOTY edition, just a mess of spells and staggering hits from every which way. Strange that they would go in such a direction for the series, but I guess it's where they want to take it.

Mistel

Banned
I can't get my head around the Old Chaos boss fight though, what a clusterfuck. It's like the exact opposite of what I want from Souls. I think this would be a decent preview of what the increased player PvP will be like in the upcoming GOTY edition, just a mess of spells and staggering hits from every which way. Strange that they would go in such a direction for the series, but I guess it's where they want to take it.
It is definitely one of the strangest boss fights it took all the negative things with the gank squad with the multiple chared knights before you even got to the ivory king to fight them. PVP is probably going to be spears, lances, and hexes unless there's some rebalancing.
Least the others didn't really have any puzzles.

KaneU

I think I am kinda lost / out of options where to go next...

My progress so far: I beat the boss at Sinner's Rise, I got there through The Last Bastille, after that I went through Heide's Tower of Flame, killed the boss at the Cathedral too, then went through No Man's Wharf, I killed the boss in the ship, and then I ended up at the Last Bastille again... I was able to pull the lever in the area with 2 dogs in front of them so I ended up in the same area where I was long time ago... I noticed a locked door there tho, and also another bonfire, but I have no idea how to get the key... So I got back to Majula to check another road up north where the statue is blocking the lever... Now the thing is, I had that item that that recovers people who became a statue, but I already used it on that petrified sorcerer in The Lost Bastille, and I have no idea where to get another one of those...

Any tips?

Tarkus

My progress so far: I beat the boss at Sinner's Rise, I got there through The Last Bastille, after that I went through Heide's Tower of Flame, killed the boss at the Cathedral too, then went through No Man's Wharf, I killed the boss in the ship, and then I ended up at the Last Bastille again... I was able to pull the lever in the area with 2 dogs in front of them so I ended up in the same area where I was long time ago... I noticed a locked door there tho, and also another bonfire, but I have no idea how to get the key... So I got back to Majula to check another road up north where the statue is blocking the lever... Now the thing is, I had that item that that recovers people who became a statue, but I already used it on that petrified sorcerer in The Lost Bastille, and I have no idea where to get another one of those...

Any tips?
From Majula, go back toward Heide's Tower on foot and speak with an NPC. Or buy an expensive item from a cat and venture into the hole in Majula.You could also unpetrify the woman blocking the statue if you have a Fragrant Branch.

Any tips?

Mmmm, did you exhausted the dialogue with the cathedral lady? she later moves to majula and open a new area for you or like SourShoes said you can buy the cat boots and venture into Majula's pit

KaneU

Oh... I was wondering if that woman from the Cathedral area came back to Majula, I chose to go to her first, those poisoned woods tho... :S

also, is it just me or are the bonfires way more often in this game compared to DS1?

Any tips?

Did you roll that auspicious barrel down the stairs in Last Bastille?

Tarkus

Oh... I was wondering if that woman from the Cathedral area came back to Majula, I chose to go to her first, those poisoned woods tho... :S

also, is it just me or are the bonfires way more often in this game compared to DS1?
Yes. You can almost predict where they'll be on your first playthrough. I don't mind at all though since dealing with the mobs is way harder and it's nice to save your souls, especially early on.

Top Bottom