• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

2AdEPT

First controller to have ever gotten destroyed for this game. It truly is a piece of shit C-tier shitfest. Honestly, From Software made a one-hit wonder with Demon's Souls because the company itself is abysmal-tier and comparable with turds like Konami PS3-era.

It's almost as if I don't want to buy their next turd, because they've made two anus games out of three. Why risk it?

M92bjaB.jpg

I have to admit I cant stand the lock on swithching that goes on with the xbox 360 controller and clones on PC...they cant even get the most common gamepads coded right? First they cant get mouse support for DS1 PC, which I could care less, but then with DS2 you cant you use a regular game pad properly? Now with the PS4 controller software out you can use it, but it thinks its a friggin 360 controller so it has the SAME ANNOYING LOCK ON ISSUES?!?!?! Just in case I totally did something wrong are there any PC users that got the lock on system to work right?

Just saw Lobos get a seppuku kill on Sir Alonne, NG+7 Champions Covenant. Crazy.

I'm not sure I know of anybody better at Souls PVE than Lobos.

Um yeah no he's pretty much the best at PVE and bosses....so funny that he said that he is "not good at , nor do[es he] like PVP." Until someone else beats the game rolling with the Kirk armour thorn damage only he's the best in my books.

Booshka

Lobos is the most dedicated Dark Souls PvE Challenge run player. Santzo84 is probably the most skilled PvE Dark Souls player, he is a top tier Speedrunner, and is starting to beat Lobos' challenge runs. If he wanted to, I bet he could best all of Lobos' runs.

Anustart

I have to admit I cant stand the lock on swithching that goes on with the xbox 360 controller and clones on PC...they cant even get the most common gamepads coded right? First they cant get mouse support for DS1 PC, which I could care less, but then with DS2 you cant you use a regular game pad properly? Now with the PS4 controller software out you can use it, but it thinks its a friggin 360 controller so it has the SAME ANNOYING LOCK ON ISSUES?!?!?! Just in case I totally did something wrong are there any PC users that got the lock on system to work right?

Um yeah no he's pretty much the best at PVE and bosses....so funny that he said that he is "not good at , nor do[es he] like PVP." Until someone else beats the game rolling with the Kirk armour thorn damage only he's the best in my books.

What's wrong with lock on system? I'm playing on pc, haven't noticed any problems with my 360 pad.

bobawesome

First controller to have ever gotten destroyed for this game. It truly is a piece of shit C-tier shitfest. Honestly, From Software made a one-hit wonder with Demon's Souls because the company itself is abysmal-tier and comparable with turds like Konami PS3-era.

It's almost as if I don't want to buy their next turd, because they've made two anus games out of three. Why risk it?

M92bjaB.jpg

So it's the fault of From Software that you have the emotional maturity of a small child?

Covenant of Champions NG+7 Elana is absurd. RIP Lobos-chan, BibleThump 7

This game has also messed up my rolling timings and directions for the first game. Getting rolled by NG+2 Artorias rolling early against horizontal attacks and forward against thrusts.

Anustart

I take back what I said earlier about this game missing an area on the level of Anor Londo. Drangleic castle has a great vibe to it. It's pristine but broken all at the same time. And the rain makes it look great. Too bad we didn't get the visuals from the early trailers as that walk to the looking glass knight would have been amazing.

Zocano

It's okay Yoshichan, I'm here to give you "Demon's Souls shits on its predecessors from a great height" support.

I also think Dark Souls 1 post O+S ranges from trashy to "meh" (and I don't even like O+S that much either).

2AdEPT

What's wrong with lock on system? I'm playing on pc, haven't noticed any problems with my 360 pad.

despite turning off auto lock on I always get a toggle between any two or more enemies...it wont stay locked on to the enemy I want. Here is a video of it in action during my Mirror knight fight. It also does a hyper toggle when I try to read messages. I see it happen to Jeff Green a lot so I thought it was the same for most people, but in his case the messages dont do it so it must just be that he does not turn off auto toggle. I guess its the logitech controller then (I dont have a 360 controller) but it continues when I try to play with the dualshock 4. I hate the layout of the 360 pad also though, so even if I bought one that worked I would not like it.

edit: guess it has to do with GEdo SaTo...cant downsample...others have said it is fixed by changing the mouse settings, but I tried all configurations and the only way it worked i to turn off gedo sato and run in 1280 by 720. (I assume i could run in 1080P with GEDO SATO and it would still work), but that downsampling is real nice...I just never lock on much and might just live with it.

ilium

can't wait for scholar of the first sin, i'm so excited!

i bought AC black flag and borderlands 2 during the last sale on PSN to play something besides Souls but all i can think of is my sacred chime hammer + longsword build. :<

black flag combat system is so bad, holy shit.

I have. And yes, that is indeed on par with Demon's Souls. I've always said this - <50% is so, SO fucking good.

O, so you don't like the fighting of the Four Lords & Gwyn? I can see that. With the exception of Four Kings, the other bosses weren't very well done imo. Seath was supposed to be strong against magic, but at that point in the game your magic does such a ridiculous amount of damage that you can slaughter him with it. Nito I hated the fact that you needed a divine weapon to stop those skeletons from coming back, and Bed of Chaos was a platformer...at least with Four Kings they took a long time to spawn another one, and the others don't attack you if you're currently attacking one of the Kings. Then there was Gwyn parryparryparryparry ded.

I've always liked the fight with Gwyn.

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment that the game is much better pre-Lordvessel. The DLC is a good incentive to keep going after that point, but the other content is a bit meh IMO. I always get a bit bored after getting the Lordvessel.

neoism

Eh, it's not like I gave DkS(1) twenty other chances. I've played approx. 400 hours of it and still consider it absolutely trash (after >50%) - so I think it's fair that I can say whatever I want about the game. My opinion is the valid minority - but I can't blame most people who hold it as the greatest thing ever. For most people (probably 90%), it was their first Souls.

They patched Lost Shitalith? What're the changes?
Just 100 more hours and it can be a good game.

I take back what I said earlier about this game missing an area on the level of Anor Londo. Drangleic castle has a great vibe to it. It's pristine but broken all at the same time. And the rain makes it look great. Too bad we didn't get the visuals from the early trailers as that walk to the looking glass knight would have been amazing.

Too bad we wont see them.

FROM trailers are always like that

I've always liked the fight with Gwyn.

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment that the game is much better pre-Lordvessel. The DLC is a good incentive to keep going after that point, but the other content is a bit meh IMO. I always get a bit bored after getting the Lordvessel.

Pre-Lordvessel is a Masterpiece in terms of game design, pacing and difficulty scaling. No other segment of Souls is even close. The last half of DS1 kind of coasts with 3 decent areas and 1 clearly unfinished area. DLC is amazing, not quite masterpiece level for area design and pacing, but by far the best set of Bosses in the game.

DS2 is far more consistent from beginning to end. It never reaches the highs of any previous Souls, but the lows aren't that bad either. Bosses are most disappointing overall. If you were to rank the top 10 bosses in all of Souls, I can't think of a single one that would come close to making the list in this game. The Fume Knight in the dlc would be the only one I would even make a case for.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bosses are most disappointing overall. If you were to rank the top 10 bosses in all of Souls, I can't think of a single one that would come close to making the list in this game. The Fume Knight in the dlc would be the only one I would even make a case for.
Darklurker melee is harder than almost anything in the other games, honestly. But he can be cheesed with pyromancy, so I guess he's kinda like the Maneaters in this regard. xD The downside is that he's really annoying to get to and/or retry if you die.
Honestly most bosses in the past games aren't that amazing either. Dark Souls had plenty of weak bosses like Firesage Demon, Priscilla, Gaping Dragon, Iron Golem, etc.
In terms of gameplay, I'd probably put Alonne, Fume, Velstadt, Sinh, Executioner Chariot, Ruin Sentinels, Darklurker and Vendrick among my favourites from 2. Smelter would have made the cut but he has too many iffy hitboxes and I hate how he a) recycled the Sentinels music and b) is recycled himself in the DLC, heh. Lost Sinner pre-patch was a contender, but she's been nerfed so badly she's not even a threat anymore. ;_;

My top 10 Souls bosses (gameplay-wise)... hmm, let's see, here's a tentative one:

1- Bed of Chaos.... just kidding. Artorias, of course.
2- S&O
3- Kalameet
4- Ruin Sentinels
5- Executioner Chariot
6- Sinh
7- Fume Knight (I raged so hard against him, but damn if he's not epic and legit hard instead of just having shitty hitboxes)
8- Flamelurker
9- False King
10- Belfry Gargoyles (from DkS1, they're easy now but I did struggle early on and it's an epic and memorable moment)

Anustart

Figured since I've been in the blue sentinels forever I might as well try out these cracked blue orbs. Took a bit, but I found me a sinner in the Shrine of Amana. I dispatched him quite easily. He committed a ton with 3 swings of his huge sword with little bating. I shall now cleanse the worlds of sinners.

Darklurker melee is harder than almost anything in the other games, honestly. But he can be cheesed with pyromancy, so I guess he's kinda like the Maneaters in this regard. xD The downside is that he's really annoying to get to and/or retry if you die.
Honestly most bosses in the past games aren't that amazing either. Dark Souls had plenty of weak bosses like Firesage Demon, Priscilla, Gaping Dragon, Iron Golem, etc.
In terms of gameplay, I'd probably put Alonne, Fume, Velstadt, Sinh, Executioner Chariot, Ruin Sentinels, Darklurker and Vendrick among my favourites from 2. Smelter would have made the cut but he has too many iffy hitboxes and I hate how he a) recycled the Sentinels music and b) is recycled himself in the DLC, heh. Lost Sinner pre-patch was a contender, but she's been nerfed so badly she's not even a threat anymore. ;_;

My top 10 Souls bosses (gameplay-wise)... hmm, let's see, here's a tentative one:

1- Bed of Chaos.... just kidding. Artorias, of course.
2- S&O
3- Kalameet
4- Ruin Sentinels
5- Executioner Chariot
6- Sinh
7- Fume Knight (I raged so hard against him, but damn if he's not epic and legit hard instead of just having shitty hitboxes)
8- Flamelurker
9- False King
10- Belfry Gargoyles (from DkS1, they're easy now but I did struggle early on and it's an epic and memorable moment)

I don't mean to imply the other games didn't have weak bosses, because they most certainly do, but the DS2 bosses lack a lot in the presentation department.

I rank my top 10, not just on gameplay, but presentation and atmosphere.

1. Kalameet
2. O&S
3. Artorius
4. Manus
5. Tower Knight
6. Flamelurker
7. Gargoyles (DS1)
8. False King
9. Maiden Astrea
10. Fume Knight

I would give Executioner Chariot and Smelter Demon honorable mention. I probably have more coop on SD than any other boss. Sinh is also a fantastic boss, but it's more or less a carbon copy of Kalameet which I already have acounted for.

Mirror Knight (his real name) was nearly a top candidate had it not been for the graphics downgrade. Seriously, the lighting it used to have put it on another level. Gameplay is always more important than graphics, but this is a clear example where graphics do matter. Such a shame it got knocked down a peg.

Figured since I've been in the blue sentinels forever I might as well try out these cracked blue orbs. Took a bit, but I found me a sinner in the Shrine of Amana. I dispatched him quite easily. He committed a ton with 3 swings of his huge sword with little bating. I shall now cleanse the worlds of sinners.

There is a covenant dedicated to this. Might as well get some credit to your rank for your troubles.

Anustart

The one with a pharros key?

I dont think I saw a lock in the room. Someone left a message saying listen.

^I'm in the sentinels, I think they rank up by killing sinners, right? Dunno if ill get the 500 kills needed for rank 3 ever, but ill use up my orbs at least!

Edit: Is there a good pvp guide out there? Wanting to know how to maximize my dex, straight sword and scimitar wielding sin hunter.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

It's not identical, but that area looks really, really great with ENB.

darksoulsii_2014_05_03_17_53_15_996_downsampled_by_aloooo81-d8dg1mw.jpg

Beat Dark Souls last night, time to get started on this!

I don't want to temper your enthusiasm, but be advised that an upgraded version of the game with all DLC is being released on PS4/XB1 and PC. Note: The PC version will not be compatible.

Supposed to come out in April.

2AdEPT

I should look into modding it. Will the graphical stuff get me banned? Best to be cautious.

nope... I know of no one that was banned for the graphics...our own community member Durante made the GEdosato and DSfix before that and I not only use these mods but also gamesave manager, which is advertised on steam and recommended on steam as well...very unlikely that they will care if you use these things. Gamesave manager helps you save your progress in case you get hacked, and unless you are doing way worse than that by being a hacker yourself and messing up PVP and then get reported, I doubt that you will have any issue with these mods. Here is my first nice looking looking video after YT went HD60....even though its only 720P by the time its downsampled from 2560 x1440 and with the 60FPS it looks just fine imo.....it also happens to have Mirror Knight. When I am playing it actually IS 2560 x1440 quality and 60 fps.

Just saw Lobos get a seppuku kill on Sir Alonne, NG+7 Champions Covenant. Crazy.

I'm not sure I know of anybody better at Souls PVE than Lobos.
I've been dipping in and out of his NG-NG+7 run archived on youtube and it was what kind of got me itching to replay DS2. I agree, I love his challenge runs etc - as mainly a PvEr myself I enjoy watching and get inspired by others who do PvE runs.

Mistel

Banned
I dont think I saw a lock in the room. Someone left a message saying listen.

^I'm in the sentinels, I think they rank up by killing sinners, right? Dunno if ill get the 500 kills needed for rank 3 ever, but ill use up my orbs at least!

Edit: Is there a good pvp guide out there? Wanting to know how to maximize my dex, straight sword and scimitar wielding sin hunter.
You rank up either via arena wins, killing red invaders for way of the blues, and via blue orb invasions. For getting the most out of your build either you stick with DEX and keep raising that and finding weapons that scale well with it or you switch to STR for better returns. Other than that it is just raising your VIT,VIG,END and ADP.

Soulhouf

Watch this.

On another note, it's been a while I last played this game. I didn't even beat the 3rd DLC.
I need to stop pretending this game is fantastic I guess. It's strange to say this but I think there is too much stuff. I said it multiple time but DS2 favors quantity over quality and that's what killed it for me. Perhaps I will go back to it when the PS4 version comes out.

I will rather go back and replay Demon's and Dark 1 in preparation for Bloddborne.

Mistel

Banned
On another note, it's been a while I last played this game. I didn't even beat the 3rd DLC.
I need to stop pretending this game is fantastic I guess. It's strange to say this but I think there is too much stuff. I said it multiple time but DS2 favors quantity over quality and that's what killed it for me. Perhaps I will go back to it when the PS4 version comes out.
Depending on how well they actually do the new content there is going to be a lot more content story wise also the new areas too that may or may not work all that well which might not bode well for you. .

I feel like starting a slvl1 run (on PS3), but not sure what kind of rules to set myself.

What's the common setup people do for these ?

Do I start naked ? Can I summon ?

Mistel

Banned
There is no good starter gift now, except for the pretrified item
That and probably the healing wares which would come in handy right at the beginning before you get estus upgrades and more VIT. Life ring is like a 5 minute walk through the forest of the fallen giants to get, and homeward bones you can buy straight away.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just now figured out how you are supposed to avoid the Scorpioness' underground attack. Now I feel stupid for thinking that attack was cheap.

Anustart

I just now figured out how you are supposed to avoid the Scorpioness' underground attack. Now I feel stupid for thinking that attack was cheap.

How? I dodged it like twice with a telepathically placed roll but otherwise I got hit

Edit: Nevermind, read up on it. I thought of that during the fight and tried it but she still got me. Must have positioned poorly.

Soulhouf

Depending on how well they actually do the new content there is going to be a lot more content story wise also the new areas too that may or may not work all that well which might not bode well for you. .

If Bloodborne is as good as I hope I think I will pass for the time being. It will be hard to come back to DS2 while BB is still fresh but I will get it for sure.

Did they release any new patches since the DLC? Balance/gameplay tweaks that fixes some of the issues such as the scaling/multi buffs?
I can dream but did they change the soul memory mechanic?

Mistel

Banned
Did they release any new patches since the DLC? Balance/gameplay tweaks that fixes some of the issues such as the scaling/multi buffs?
I can dream but did they change the soul memory mechanic?
Nah the balance stuff along with the changing of matchmaking with less stringent requirements will be in the April patch apparently.

neoism

Ok what's up with this upcoming patch? People say february and then april. Which is it?

There well be two versions of the game because FROM hates us....
The version out right now on ps3/360/PC is the "old gen" DX9 only. Its getting a patch to change a few thing and add a little mo balance and what not, its really not know for sure what though... this patch will be free. Last I heard its coming in Feb...

In April the GOAT edition will come out on Ps4/Bone/PC ( you still have to buy it again on PC even if you own it already) and will be DX 11 with better graphic and will have different enemy placement and a bunch of other stuff the OG version wont have it will also come with all the DLC. Also 3v3 PVP coop ... the OG gets none of this...

Anustart

How much remains for me? I'm currently in the area past the dragon aerie. Still loving it and beginning to toy around with pyromancies and some other stuff to be more well rounded in pvp. Anything recommended for optimal pyro in pvp matches?

wolfhowwl

Banned
I don't want to temper your enthusiasm, but be advised that an upgraded version of the game with all DLC is being released on PS4/XB1 and PC. Note: The PC version will not be compatible.

Supposed to come out in April.

Yeah I really didn't feel like waiting and it was just fifteen bucks in the Steam sale as well. Eight hours in and liking it so far.

Although if I hear "Bearer of the Curse..." one more time...

How much remains for me? I'm currently in the area past the dragon aerie. Still loving it and beginning to toy around with pyromancies and some other stuff to be more well rounded in pvp. Anything recommended for optimal pyro in pvp matches?
You're winding down the end game now. If you have the DLC there's still all that to do - they're all quite sizeable in area and the level design is some of the better in DS2, though initially confusing because of branching paths and shortcuts back. Enemy and boss design leaves a lot to be desired.

Re: the new update. Last gen/DX9 gets all the new content and adjustments for free except the vague graphical upgrades, enemy placement rejiggles and 6-player pvp (which sounds like a freeforall mess of spells and staggering hits to me, but whatever).

Yeah I really didn't feel like waiting and it was just fifteen bucks in the Steam sale as well. Eight hours in and liking it so far.

Although if I hear "Bearer of the Curse..." one more time...

Nothing wrong with that. If you just want to play through it and not deal with circus of releases you got a good deal.

Top Bottom