• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Platinumed, started a new game, and I'm about to be done with this fucking garbage forever.

I laughed.

Anyway got my plat as well and enjoyed the game but its definitely the weakest souls games with a lot of flaws and problems but I’ll focus on the good points instead.

Love the variety of weapons/armour in the game and there are some great areas to explore especially Iron Keep, Drangelic Castle, Black Glutch, The Gutter, Unearthed Peak, No Mans Wharf etc.

While all the bosses were pretty easy and fell for the same ‘circle block and attack’ tactic there was some good boss designs at least that I liked such as Executioner's Chariot, Looking Glass Knight, The Duke's Dear Freja, The Rotten and the Demon of Song.

From tried to combine Demons and Dark souls with the way you lose health when you die and return as a hollow and having Majula as a kind of Nexus equivalent where you can level up with the Emerald. Some stuff worked and some didn't.

All in all i had fun so roll on Beast Souls

Jaeger

Platinumed, started a new game, and I'm about to be done with this fucking garbage forever.
These are the thoughts behind the ds2 developer team
1. Agility stat: fuck new players. Let's give fresh start new characters no invincible frames during a roll, you wanna roll during enemy attacks? Well, fuck you and eat shit! let's give new characters extreme slow animations for parrying, blocking and using items too.
2. Mob mentality: yep, let's gank our consumers. Fuck you for buying our game.

Worst game in souls series. Fuck you ds2 team and go to hell.

There has been gank squads since DS1. And people should not have full invincible rolls out the gate. And for someone to hate the game so much, you sure put a hell of alot of time in it going Platinum, and starting a new game on it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've jumped off the deep end and joined the legions of santier's spear scum.

vanilla-ice.jpg

Stop. Elaborate. I'll listen.

What's so great about Santier's Spear?

maomaoIYP

Stop. Elaborate. I'll listen.

What's so great about Santier's Spear?

Infinite durability. Hits many times so damage stacks very fast. Buffed dark version does a lot of damage very quickly. Also once you hit it's hard to escape from the stunlock. Gets beaten easily by a parry though, but those who don't parry will get eaten up. If someone tries to block the hits you'll get guard crush very easily.

These are the thoughts behind the ds2 developer team
1. Agility stat: fuck new players. Let's give fresh start new characters no invincible frames during a roll, you wanna roll during enemy attacks? Well, fuck you and eat shit! let's give new characters extreme slow animations for parrying, blocking and using items too.
2. Mob mentality: yep, let's gank our consumers. Fuck you for buying our game.

Worst game in souls series. Fuck you ds2 team and go to hell.
I didn't put any points into ADP on my first couple of characters and yeah low agility sucks when you're used being a rolling evasive god in DS1. Now I pump it to 15 asap and that's my comfort level, I usually go about 30-40% equip load and I'm rolling around happily now.

Explorer class starts with 12 ADP which I think is great for new players - in fact all the items it starts with, plus if you choose the healing items bounty as your starting gift - You have so much stuff so early, I would recommend any new player start as Explorer with healing items gift as well. Grab a mace from the blacksmith and you have a great starting character from the get go.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Infinite durability. Hits many times so damage stacks very fast. Buffed dark version does a lot of damage very quickly. Also once you hit it's hard to escape from the stunlock. Gets beaten easily by a parry though, but those who don't parry will get eaten up. If someone tries to block the hits you'll get guard crush very easily.

This extremely relevant to my interests. I've been using Silverblack Spear at the moment buffed with DW (no dark stones yet) and it's been doing me nicely in PvP so far. But if a Darknight stone and DW/RW makes this spear a beast, I could happily switch over. What kind of Dark Scaling does it end up with?

Also, infinite durability? What the hell?

Minamu

This extremely relevant to my interests. I've been using Silverblack Spear at the moment buffed with DW (no dark stones yet) and it's been doing me nicely in PvP so far. But if a Darknight stone and DW/RW makes this spear a beast, I could happily switch over. What kind of Dark Scaling does it end up with?

Also, infinite durability? What the hell?
It's kind of a glitch. Once you manage to drain its 500 durability to 0, it breaks into a new weapon, sort of. But it doesn't go to broken status. Upgrade it with mundane, that's what I was recommended to do.

maomaoIYP

It's kind of a glitch. Once you manage to drain its 500 durability to 0, it breaks into a new weapon, sort of. But it doesn't go to broken status. Upgrade it with mundane, that's what I was recommended to do.

My lowest stat is 30, but the mundane version has NOTHING on a resonant weapon buffed dark version.
Once you get the santier's spear you need to break the stone attached to it first. Join the rat covenant, equip the spear and hit the mastodons in the area. You'll break it in 5 minutes flat.

Minamu

My lowest stat is 30, but the mundane version has NOTHING on a resonant weapon buffed dark version.
Once you get the santier's spear you need to break the stone attached to it first. Join the rat covenant, equip the spear and hit the mastodons in the area. You'll break it in 5 minutes flat.
Oh so darkstone and hex buff? I usually go with lightning, how about that?

That said: which chime or whatever is best for a hex character? I have the chime of want and dragon chime at +5 already.

maomaoIYP

Talk figures at me. Talk dirty, dirty figures.

Also, why is this weapon hated?
Mundane +5 gives 100 base damage. With lowest stat at 30 that's +200 bonus.
Dark +5 gives 140 physical, 140 dark. With resonant weapon (+50%) that's 140 physical 210 + 50 dark.
The 2H R1 combo is this multi hitting spam thing, so is the 1H roll attack.

Oh so darkstone and hex buff? I usually go with lightning, how about that?

That said: which chime or whatever is best for a hex character? I have the chime of want and dragon chime at +5 already.
Yup, dark stone + resonant weapon.
With lightning that would be 140 physical, 140 lightning. With sunlight blade it's 140 physical, 182 + 50 lightning.
Any of the elementals are fine actually, the staggering number of hits will shred health bars.
Chime of want is the best.

Jaeger

Twinblades aren't exactly the most sought after weapon in DS2, infinite durability or no. I imagine there is another reason.

It has moves from other weapons types. Roughly 4-5. It functions as a twinblade, spear, and a few others with phantom range and tons of stun locking ability.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It has moves from other weapons types. Roughly 4-5. It functions as a twinblade, spear, and a few others with phantom range and tons of stun locking ability.

Ah, okay. That's a pretty good reason to hate on it! I've never come across anyone using it myself.

Dark +5 gives 140 physical, 140 dark. With resonant weapon (+50%) that's 140 physical 210 + 50 dark.

Wow.

Question: once you break it does it stay broken or do you have to break it every time you leave a bonfire? Also, does the Old Leo Ring affect it at all?

Jaeger

Ah, okay. That's a pretty good reason to hate on it! I've never come across anyone using it myself.

Wow.

Question: once you break it does it stay broken or do you have to break it every time you leave a bonfire? Also, does the Old Leo Ring affect it at all?

Once it breaks, and becomes it's "true self", it stays broken. It cannot be repaired. It's one of the best weapons in the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Huh.

Well, seems like a Dark Santier's Spear will be my Hex Build's next acquisition. Seems like it'll keep me more than happy till I get hold of the Silverback Sickle and Dark Crypt Sword.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Mistel

Banned
Intrestingly the crypt black sword has the same moveset as the Gyrm axe does. Which in itself is great as the Gyrm axe has the great axe moveset whilst being just an axe.

Soulhouf

Twinblades aren't exactly the most sought after weapon in DS2, infinite durability or no. I imagine there is another reason.

It has a broken hit box. Wherever the tips of the weapon are doesn't matter. As long as you touch its giant action sphere you get hit and stunlocked to death.

I hate using it though because I have the impression of playing a bad version of Soul Calibur instead of Demon's Souls.

Minamu

Yup, dark stone + resonant weapon.
With lightning that would be 140 physical, 140 lightning. With sunlight blade it's 140 physical, 182 + 50 lightning.
Any of the elementals are fine actually, the staggering number of hits will shred health bars.
Chime of want is the best.
Then I will remove the dragon chime and lightning spells for the Chime of Want then, I always wanted to try the resonant soul spells after seeing them in speedrun videos. My stats are int 32 fth 50 I believe. The aim is 50 50 during ng++, even numbers just look good :lol I know it caps dark magic at 30 something though.

maomaoIYP

Indeed, but I read somewhere yesterday that the specific dark cap is 30 int, but who knows. It's not like I have much else to spend points on ^^

I'm a 40/40 guy myself. If you're limiting yourself to SL150 then do 30/30.
If you want to use dragon chime for miracles as well then I guess 50/50, provided you have enough points for everything else.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Was that what you were using in co-op then?

Yah.

Got most of the Dark Armour Set now, which looks pretty sweet with the Hexer Hood, just been trying to find a decent weapon with him.

Tried the Scythe of Alabalabingbam, which has a move set that is a little unwieldy for my tastes, and the Silverblack Spear, which I like quite a bit but I can tell that the damage will eventually be a bit pants. Santier's looks like it'll keep me happy till I get the SB Sickle or the Crypt Sword.

Arcayne

Yah.

Got most of the Dark Armour Set now, which looks pretty sweet with the Hexer Hood, just been trying to find a decent weapon with him.

Tried the Scythe of Alabalabingbam, which has a move set that is a little unwieldy for my tastes, and the Silverblack Spear, which I like quite a bit but I can tell that the damage will eventually be a bit pants. Santier's looks like it'll keep me happy till I get the SB Sickle or the Crypt Sword.

Why did I try to google that.

Minamu

I'm a 40/40 guy myself. If you're limiting yourself to SL150 then do 30/30.
If you want to use dragon chime for miracles as well then I guess 50/50, provided you have enough points for everything else.
I'm goin for max baby! ;) Currently SL265, preparing for no bonfire ng++, just need more int and attunement, might go for dual lightning/dark just to have backups.

Also, isn't there someone on gaf called cedone? Just died miserably to him/her in the bell tower.

There has been gank squads since DS1. And people should not have full invincible rolls out the gate. And for someone to hate the game so much, you sure put a hell of alot of time in it going Platinum, and starting a new game on it.
Pve boss ganking.
No invincible roll at beginning? That's a flawed design. At beginning your char is so weak, few hits then you are done, stamina is low too, shields have low stability and poor damage reduction. The game is way harder on Ng than Ng+, especially first half of Ng.
It should be the opposite. Full invincible roll at beginning, then as you progress further, you loose that invinciblity. By this point, Your character would already have tons of hp, defense, stamina and fire power.
If the core is flawed then the whole thing is garbage. If a girl is extremely attractive on the outside, but extremely evil on the inside, would you marry her? You probably have fun with her for one night then forget about her forever. That's how I feel about this game.

Mistel

Banned
Full invincible roll at beginning, then as you progress further, you loose that invinciblity. By this point, Your character would already have tons of hp, defense, stamina and fire power.
That is probably not a good idea to take away invincibility frames from the player.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If the core is flawed then the whole thing is garbage. If a girl is extremely attractive on the outside, but extremely evil on the inside, would you marry her? You probably have fun with her for one night then forget about her forever.
9ejypGy.gif

It should be the better your defense, the less invinciblity. Full Havel should not get invincibility at all. You want tank then tank it like a man. Don't rolling away like a pussy.

Mistel

Banned
It should be the better your defense, the less invinciblity. Full Havel should not get invincibility at all. You want tank then tank it like a man. Don't rolling away like a pussy.
So your idea means that if you wear heavy armor you shouldn't be able to roll at all because your defense is higher?
If a girl is extremely attractive on the outside, but extremely evil on the inside, would you marry her?
Sounds like great fun to me.

I broke mine using the corpses of 5 mobs from the first bonfire in Forest of the Giants, took like 2 minutes to do so. Currently only have it Raw +5 and its a damn fun weapon to use in pve :)

Minamu

There's is no one here of that name according to the search function.
Yeah I realized earlier that is was a random friend on my ps3. No idea where I met him or why I added him but funny being matched randomly with someone on your friends list. First time after three games I've met someone I "know" xD

I broke mine using the corpses of 5 mobs from the first bonfire in Forest of the Giants, took like 2 minutes to do so. Currently only have it Raw +5 and its a damn fun weapon to use in pve :)

This is incredibly interesting. Mine is at like 250 durability now. Gonna bust that thing tonight.

Top Bottom