• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

You guys talk about roll-parries and backstep-parries as if they're actually part of the moveset... They're exploits, right? I mean, surely From's "B-Team" didn't introduce an animation-less super-parry.

Yeah it's an exploit. Would be great if they patched them out in the future, but even if they didn't I've actually learned how to parry in PvP for real from learning to abuse the backstep parry.

edit: Felt I should elaborate. The parry animation cancelling stuff still actually requires your parry to be activated at the correct time; the cancelling just removes the risk involved in a whiff. If you can parry often using a cancelling technique you've actually learned how to parry for real.

Jaeger

Intended or not, they are part of the general moveset. PvP games have been all about who can exploit the best since Street Fighter 2.

I was gonna say this. With the exploits, and certain weapons having vastly different properties, this reminds me of SF2 (and Street Fighter in general).

edit: Felt I should elaborate. The parry animation cancelling stuff still actually requires your parry to be activated at the correct time; the cancelling just removes the risk involved in a whiff. If you can parry often using a cancelling technique you've actually learned how to parry for real.

Sure. I get that. I might have to start experimenting with it. I'm assuming it alters when the parry frames kick in?

You guys talk about roll-parries and backstep-parries as if they're actually part of the moveset... They're exploits, right? I mean, surely From's "B-Team" didn't introduce an animation-less super-parry.

if you were ever into fighting games, canceling is actually very common. developers dont patch it because it is usually hard to pull off and everyone is able to do it. nothing unfair about it, therefore its not an exploit.
as a matter of a fact, canceling is so common in fighting games, developers intentionaly make it part of the game. ex: FADC, Focus Attack Dash Cancel In Street Fighter 4.

Minamu

It caps out at five giant souls so more will do nothing to Vendrick so you can kill him now. But you need to do the Giant lord as their kingship is required of Nashandra and it is key so you can't carry it over to a new game cycle
Ah yes, I forgot about that, thanks :) I became a rank 3 Brodent last night, time for some monastery scimitar and BellBro farming before I go to ng++!

Edit: Also, besides the gold ring, which clothes up my item discovery for farming?

The Watchdragon Parma (found in the Dragon Shrine) also ups item discovery. The description doesn't really say it, just mentioning it brings "great fortune in battle" - apparently that refers to item discovery. :)

Jaeger

I got greedy and fucked up my no death run on NG+.
Feels bad man.

I did that too. I wasn't even prepared. I need to load up on items that will help me with it, and also properly set out a plan. I went way to the wrong place super early and it hurt me.

maomaoIYP

I did that too. I wasn't even prepared. I need to load up on items that will help me with it, and also properly set out a plan. I went way to the wrong place super early and it hurt me.

I was so prepared. I had everything ready. And then I was in the gutter and thought I'd kill the red phantoms for the lovely dingy gear. Fuckers tag teamed me and wiped out half my life with a great lightning spear.

Soulhouf

I was so prepared. I had everything ready. And then I was in the gutter and thought I'd kill the red phantoms for the lovely dingy gear. Fuckers tag teamed me and wiped out half my life with a great lightning spear.

That and and Iron King are no go for a no death run for me so I will try to avoid them.
Iron King is easy but he can be so cheap. I can't go with such a risk.

Damn, those two can be tough, I cheese them with poison arrows to be safe.

Are you going to try in NG++ ? edit - yep! I'm about ready myself, but I intend to get the 3m to open Shrine of Winter, I do not want to take any risks I don't have to!

maomaoIYP

Damn, those two can be tough, I cheese them with poison arrows to be safe.

Are you going to try in NG++ ? edit - yep! I'm about ready myself, but I intend to get the 3m to open Shrine of Winter, I do not want to take any risks I don't have to!

It's kind of difficult farming 3m to open the shrine isn't it? Asectic and farm a whole bunch of bosses?

It's kind of difficult farming 3m to open the shrine isn't it? Asectic and farm a whole bunch of bosses?
Yep, my Rotten is on something like bonfire intensity 10 and Iron King on 15 ish. After failing so early in NG+ myself, I didn't want to take any more risks in NG++ than needed. Feel like I paid my dues by doing no bonfire run in NG+. I also needed to get rid of some ascetics before NG++. Had 99 on hand and in the item box just by end of NG+.

Upside is I used to often have trouble dodging the Rotten's attacks, but after all the practice - no longer the case.

Minamu

Jesters cap and prisoners tatters.

The Watchdragon Parma (found in the Dragon Shrine) also ups item discovery. The description doesn't really say it, just mentioning it brings "great fortune in battle" - apparently that refers to item discovery. :)
Wish I had seen this post. 9 ascetics later, had no idea I had to kill the boss each time before hand, and I finally got it! got almost 10 levels worth of exp as well, and got over the 15m SM limit. Unfortunately, Lost Bastille is pretty empty at that range it seems. I've only managed the parry on the LB soliders, never in pvp so far. Got it up to +9 for no reason :) A bit sad that parrying is hard even with auto...

maomaoIYP

Wish I had seen this post. 9 ascetics later, had no idea I had to kill the boss each time before hand, and I finally got it! got almost 10 levels worth of exp as well, and got over the 15m SM limit. Unfortunately, Lost Bastille is pretty empty at that range it seems. I've only managed the parry on the LB soliders, never in pvp so far. Got it up to +9 for no reason :) A bit sad that parrying is hard even with auto...

You were farming the monastry scimitar? I got it on my first kill in NG+ lol.

edit: I didn't understand why people were saying it's OP, now I understand LOLOLOL

Booties

Banned
Bosses are so low aggro in this game. Kinda of lame. Still fun to play, but most of the bosses are way too easy to beat without getting hit much.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I was gonna say this. With the exploits, and certain weapons having vastly different properties, this reminds me of SF2 (and Street Fighter in general).

PvP in Souls games is incredibly fighting game-esque.

I wish From would make an offline fighter based on Souls PvP. I'd play the shit out of that. It's unfortunate that lag destroys what would otherwise be a very intricate spacing game.

Ulthwe

Just got to the Doors of Pharros area... My bet is that, every time someone uses a lockstone there, From receives an "one more fool" email. I've got 6 of them and no way I'm gonna spend them here.

Btw they really hit the nail with the art direction in this area, really like it. But first lions and now elephants and crocs? Just drop one of the hippos from the tutorial area and we'll have a Dark Zoo!

Minamu

My gf has reached the forest now with three deaths so far. That tutorial newbie thread is pretty spot on, she's not a gamer and needs a lot of help :/

Soulhouf

Yeesh. This Grandahl fool is sucking my Effigies dry. Only have three left to finish the Chasms with.

...make that two...

I ran into the same problem in my first run because the boss kept kicking my ass.
What I did is burn bonfire aesthetic in Majula. The skeletons in the mansion (there are 6 of them) have 100% drop rate.

Soulhouf

Weird, I only saw one. Good to know, though. How bad is
the Darkseeker compared to say, Vendrick or Nashandra?

The number increases when you burn aesthetic.
As for the boss, he is a nightmare for melee fighter but becomes a joke against lightning. You can kill him with only 4 or 5 Great Lightning Spears.

Cat Party

I decided to start doing some PvP last night, so I joined Dragon Remnants. I'm a PvP noob but I did pretty well. I got my first 10 scales in 15 matches or so at SL 150 on NG.

It was interesting seeing the different "rules" people play by. A few people waved, so I waved back. But a bunch of people decided to be cheap assholes. One guy timed his hex just right, so that it hit me just as I became vulnerable. No chance.

After hearing so many people talk about not using estus in duels, I was surprised to see most people use them. I was able to catch them in the act sometimes, but not consistently. I didn't use them.

Also, one guy rushed me with huge swords, which I rolled past, and I then killed him with a single sunlight spear. He immediately messaged me that "miracles and shields are for noobs."

How does one keep track of all the varying, arbitrary rules?

Mistel

Banned
Just got to the Doors of Pharros area... My bet is that, every time someone uses a lockstone there, From receives an "one more fool" email. I've got 6 of them and no way I'm gonna spend them here.
One of them will get you a nice new weapon if used in the correct location. You get an infinite durability weapon with a twinblade moveset with some effort.
All is fair in love and war...

Minamu

Btw they really hit the nail with the art direction in this area, really like it. But first lions and now elephants and crocs? Just drop one of the hippos from the tutorial area and we'll have a Dark Zoo!
It's fun to put stones in there. I've completely filled out the whole area AND the first Brodent area, that's what they're there for. And I still have over 20 lockstones left thanks to 35 Brodent wins. Fucking other players over with tough enemies and traps is the whole point of the area, it's really great pvp :D

One of them will get you a nice new weapon if used in the correct location. You get an infinite durability weapon with a twinblade moveset with some effort.
Yep, I've been using it ever since I got it and most of my Brodent wins are thanks to that spear.

cj_iwakura

I'm somewhat bitter that Sorcerers got the Covenant shaft, again. Couldn't they throw us a bone for once?

I guess I'll settle for Blue Sentinels.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I decided to start doing some PvP last night, so I joined Dragon Remnants. I'm a PvP noob but I did pretty well. I got my first 10 scales in 15 matches or so at SL 150 on NG.

It was interesting seeing the different "rules" people play by. A few people waved, so I waved back. But a bunch of people decided to be cheap assholes. One guy timed his hex just right, so that it hit me just as I became vulnerable. No chance.

After hearing so many people talk about not using estus in duels, I was surprised to see most people use them. I was able to catch them in the act sometimes, but not consistently. I didn't use them.

Also, one guy rushed me with huge swords, which I rolled past, and I then killed him with a single sunlight spear. He immediately messaged me that "miracles and shields are for noobs."

You dont. Just do you. There's plenty of assholes online who try to play like assholes and then send you asshole messages when they lose a match and fail at being an asshole.

You might be able to make out from my blurry phone pic that I have now joined the lofty ranks of people desperate enough to go for both Illusory rings. \o/

killmenow75k93.jpg

After failing at the first hurdle (Dragonrider!) on my NG+ no death/no bonfire run. I finished it off as just a no bonfire run for the first ring and then went for no deaths on NG++.

My nerves were absolutely frazzled the whole time from the second I unlocked Shrine of Winter until the final cutscene. I almost died to the Mirror Knight, in Undead Crypt, Throne Defenders came VERY close and the giants in Memory of Jeigh decided they wanted to play when usually they just ignore you. I was an absolute wreck and I'm still shaking, but I did it!.... Now what?!

Wow.

I feel a bit dirty typing this, but I love the backstep-parry.

I committed to it last night with the Monastery Scimitar (lolgitgudscrub) and my successful parry attempts have gone up about 6000%. Killing someone without stabbing their defenceless body on the ground just doesn't do it for me anymore :).

I guess why I've done a bit of a 180 on it is because this "exploit" is by no means easy to pull off. The synchronicity between button presses is seemingly more strict than both the lunge attack and guard-break manoeuvres; it also seems to seldom not register at random times, but that could just be my skills going to shit in the heat of battle, which would explain why I can pull it off 95% of the time in PvE, but not in PvP.

And you guys were right in saying that it improves your understanding of parrying in general, which is a boon for anyone inexperienced in the art.

Weird, I only saw one. Good to know, though. How bad is
the Darkseeker compared to say, Vendrick or Nashandra?
Beware.
there's one miracle, you can only obtain by invading the lady that sells miracle. What happened to me was I burned bonfire twice, on Ng+ (bonfire intensity level4), she one shots me no matter what I bring to battle. She also has like 30k hp. I had to cheese her by using a poison dagger.

cj_iwakura

Beware.
there's one miracle, you can only obtain by invading the lady that sells miracle. What happened to me was I burned bonfire twice, on Ng+ (bonfire intensity level4), she one shots me no matter what I bring to battle. She also has like 30k hp. I had to cheese her by using a poison dagger.

Jesus. Just got done taking her(!?) on. I had no idea it was going to
multiply!

It was going so well before that. (Sorcerer build, 60INT/40ATT)

Platinumed, started a new game, and I'm about to be done with this fucking garbage forever.
These are the thoughts behind the ds2 developer team
1. Agility stat: fuck new players. Let's give fresh start new characters no invincible frames during a roll, you wanna roll during enemy attacks? Well, fuck you and eat shit! let's give new characters extreme slow animations for parrying, blocking and using items too.
2. Mob mentality: yep, let's gank our consumers. Fuck you for buying our game.

Worst game in souls series. Fuck you ds2 team and go to hell.

maomaoIYP

Platinumed, started a new game, and I'm about to be done with this fucking garbage forever.
1. Agility stat: fuck new players. Let's give fresh start new characters no invincible frames during a roll, you wanna roll during enemy attacks? Well, fuck you and eat shit! let's give new characters extreme slow animations for parrying, blocking and using items too.

You know if you hate it so much you can just stop playing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

83675-Im-not-a-smart-man-gif-Imgur-F-W5IO.gif

Top Bottom