• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

For NG+ I respecced my character from a full STR/melee build to a DEX/Hex katana build and I'm loving it. I'm using the Darksteel Katana, however, and it breaks before I can even clear an area. It's at +10 already, is there any way to accomdate this quick decay rate?

Soulhouf

For NG+ I respecced my character from a full STR/melee build to a DEX/Hex katana build and I'm loving it. I'm using the Darksteel Katana, however, and it breaks before I can even clear an area. It's at +10 already, is there any way to accomdate this quick decay rate?

Repair powder exists for a reason.

cj_iwakura

Going to find a couple covenants and maybe one optional boss then I'll be finished. Only thing I haven't seen... the cultists with the white masks in the early trailer. Are they still in the game?

Soulhouf

You can be given the souls for them though and the weapons themselves so surely that means you can do it in a single playthrough?

Other than demons where you need to ng+ for soul sucker and something else.

Nope.
In Demon's you can't drop a boss soul. With demon's souls such as Old Monk's which is used to make 3 different spells, you'll need 3 walkthroughs.

Mistel

Banned
You can be given the souls for them though and the weapons themselves so surely that means you can do it in a single playthrough?

Other than demons where you need to ng+ for soul sucker and something else.
Nope.
In Demon's you can't drop a boss soul. With demon's souls such as Old Monk's which is used to make 3 different spells, you'll need 3 walkthroughs.
The top part is applicable to dark souls not demons. I even said that you need to do multiple runs for demons.

Is there a weapon similar in size and moveset to the Great Lord Greatsword, in DS2?
I don't think there's something that is directly comparable I mean alot of the great and ultra's have it's slash attack but I don't know of the downward slash on any of them.

Morality isn't at all relevant to this.
Neither is approval.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I might be alone in this, but I am midway through a new character playthrough and I can't muster the courage to forge onwards. Not because of the game, but...As weird as this will sound, the constant stream of vitriol and hate being heaped upon DSII literally eroded my will to play it.

I am always feeling guilty for liking the game. I am always second guessing myself, every second of playtime, wondering why I don't dislike the game. I feel broken and dumb for not getting it, I feel like I am doing something wrong and it sucked the fun out of the game completely.

If you look at my trophies, you'll see a huge time lapse between me starting the game and finishing it because I had managed to stay outside DS topics everywhere for a while. But now that I started reading on it again, the constant barrage of messages everywhere about how bad the game is, pretty much sank it in mind. What I mean is, I think that I AM actually in the wrong here. There must be something really wrong with DSII and I am almost ashamed for not understanding what it is.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Neither is approval.

It's a question of earned or given.

I mean, regardless of all of this semantic debate, I have a hard time believing you actually think someone having someone join them and then dropping every required item to get all the achievements counts as a realistic interpretation of "You can get it in one playthrough!"

The point is that there are a lot of things that are possible if you consider completely unreasonable scenarios, but if we're being realistic you can't legitimately earn all of the achievements in one playthrough without someone else doing the brunt of the work required in order to get you that achievement.

If two people are working on a group project and one person literally does every part of it and they both get an A, you wouldn't say that the other person earned or achieved that grade. They attained it, but those are separate things.

It seems like you're just arguing for a completely unreasonable technicality when it's pretty clear everyone else is arguing from a practical standpoint.

Mistel

Banned
I mean, regardless of all of this semantic debate, I have a hard time believing you actually think someone having someone join them and then dropping every required item to get all the achievements counts as a realistic interpretation of "You can get it in one playthrough!"
What if I do?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I might be alone in this, but I am midway through a new character playthrough and I can't muster the courage to forge onwards. Not because of the game, but...As weird as this will sound, the constant stream of vitriol and hate being heaped upon DSII literally eroded my will to play it.

I am always feeling guilty for liking the game. I am always second guessing myself, every second of playtime, wondering why I don't dislike the game. I feel broken and dumb for not getting it, I feel like I am doing something wrong and it sucked the fun out of the game completely.

If you look at my trophies, you'll see a huge time lapse between me starting the game and finishing it because I had managed to stay outside DS topics everywhere for a while. But now that I started reading on it again, the constant barrage of messages everywhere about how bad the game is, pretty much sank it in mind. What I mean is, I think that I AM actually in the wrong here. There must be something really wrong with DSII and I am almost ashamed for not understanding what it is.

Saying that there's a constant stream of hate towards the game is pretty divorced from reality. I mean if you look for it you'll find it, as it was pretty much impossible to live up to everyone's expectations with the sequel considering how the first game was received, but if this is echoing in your mind enough that it's internet opinions that are causing you to not enjoy the game, and not anything within the actual game that you can personally discern, then I recommend Prozac.

You're constantly second-guessing yourself and feeling guilty for liking the game because a relatively small corner of internet strangers aren't into it? I mean yeah dude.

Ulthwe

Well, I'm a bit lost on how to keep going in the Shaded ruins. I'm in the area after the fog, and I've killed every enemy, talked to
the old man and the scorpion man, which just says "...?"
. There's a door I can't open, and I can't unpetrify those statues as I've only been given one Branch of yore in my playthrough. Any none too spoilery ideas?

Mistel

Banned
Well, I'm a bit lost on how to keep going in the Shaded ruins. I'm in the area after the fog, and I've killed every enemy, talked to
the old man and the scorpion man, which just says "...?"
. There's a door I can't open, and I can't unpetrify those statues as I've only been given one Branch of yore in my playthrough. Any none too spoilery ideas?
Go to the boss round the corner? Past the huge basilisk and go right.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Dragon Aerie is some bullshit. Fire shouldn't roast me through solid rock! Guess I will need to stay close quarters. Also I can already tell trying to get all the crystal lizards here is going to drive my OCD crazy.

Anyone know a good place to farm twinkling? Llewyn set is so sexy, but costly....I guess I will go back to Amana if I HAVE to. But I don't wanna =(
There must be something really wrong with DSII and I am almost ashamed for not understanding what it is.
The wrong is with you not the game!

Everything on the internet is hyperbole, including this statement. According to many, a game is either the best thing to have ever been made or total shit without a single redeeming quality. Feeling guilt about having fun with a game some people say they don't like? Letting some stranger's opinion dictate your experience? Ridiculous.

At this moment in time, I love this game regardless of its flaws and arbitrary future rank in the Souls series. I will play it until I change my mind and decide I don't want to anymore, not because reddit or GAF says I should but when I am not having fun anymore. This is a video game, remember? Something you do for entertainment?

Also Storm, you're being kind of pedantic. =|

Mistel

Banned
Dragon Aerie is some bullshit. Fire shouldn't roast me through solid rock! Guess I will need to stay close quarters. Also I can already tell trying to get all the crystal lizards here is going to drive my OCD crazy.

Also Storm, you're being kind of pedantic. =|
Aerie is the best place to farm. I'm being punctilious you mean?

lunlunqq

Is there a freackin' boss door I haven't seen? I can't find it! I killed that basilisk and there's just a bunch of ruins there.

That area is quite small. Have you found the petrified lion warrior that block the entrance to a destroyed house? Opposite to him is a big gate with two guard towers on each side. Go through the gate and you will find the boss.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Aerie is the best place to farm. I'm being punctilious you mean?
I learned a new word today!

Also for an experiment I tried using an ascetic on Belfry Luna to snap up the 3 skeptic's spice. NG+ Gargoyles weren't too hard but definitely scary doing it solo. My clever plan to farm the spices failed after the second ascetic though, because you have to beat the gargoyles each time you use one before you can use another.

Afraid to face them in NG++!

Jaeger

Thanks to some info that was passed to me (after I was invaded, and it was so thoroughly demonstrated to and on me), I have managed to create a build (mostly adjustments to my build I posted here earlier) that creates crazy stun-lock, and I can kill in one combo, now.

Do video games even matter?

Does life even matter??

Does anything even matter???

Feeling guilt about having fun with a game some people say they don't like? Letting some stranger's opinion dictate your experience? Ridiculous.

At this moment in time, I love this game regardless of its flaws and arbitrary future rank in the Souls series. I will play it until I change my mind and decide I don't want to anymore, not because reddit or GAF says I should but when I am not having fun anymore.

I just wanted to say I love both of these points. I have a mind to say them all the fucking time when talking to gamers. Glad at least two people get it. Cheers.

Ulthwe

There's a bit of the level right next to it go there instead? Have you not fought the scorpioness yet then?

That area is quite small. Have you found the petrified lion warrior that block the entrance to a destroyed house? Opposite to him is a big gate with two guard towers on each side. Go through the gate and you will find the boss.
Aw, silly me. Went to the top of the tower, got down and I suppose I fell into the small hole that leads to the old man, completely forgetting about that path. Thanks guys! This boss only took me four tries.

Anyway, what's up with the
scorpion guy
? Do I have to fight him? I believe I widowed him...

Leezard

Aw, silly me. Went to the top of the tower, got down and I suppose I fell into the small hole that leads to the old man, completely forgetting about that path. Thanks guys! This boss only took me four tries.

scorpion guy

Use the ring
of whispers
, bought at the cat.

Mistel

Banned
scorpion guy
There's no need to spoiler anything to talk to tark you need the ring of whispers which you by from the cat in Majula. And he's pretty happy you offed his wife.

Ulthwe

Use the ring
of whispers
, bought at the cat.

There's no need to spoiler anything to talk to tark you need the ring of whispers which you by from the cat in Majula. And he's pretty happy you offed his wife.
Great, I just bought it falsely thinking that the ring would be helpful in the fog area. Learnt the hard way that it's useless.

It's ok then to stop using spoiler tags? There might be newcomers such as me. I try not to look other people's posts.

Mistel

Banned
Great, I just bought it falsely thinking that the ring would be helpful in the fog area. Learnt the hard way that it's useless.

It's ok then to stop using spoiler tags? There might be newcomers such as me. I try not to look other people's posts.
I'm not sure myself but Tark isn't a spoiler I think really. But if you want some tips check here.

The dual wielding table I did has ended up on an Italian football site lol.

Got the Monastery Scimitar after about 8 or so Ascetics. It is truly awesome for PvE, no doubt, but I was struggling to be effective with it in PvP.

The fact that I'm not the best at parrying to begin with + omnipresent lag = me flamboyantly twirling a sword like an idiot and copping other swords to the face 90% of the time. I did manage to pull it off twice: once on a twin-blade spammer (easy enough) and another stopping a running 'spin-to-win' halberd attack in its tracks (more of a fluke).

I'd love to add parrying to my repetoire, but I feel it's detrimental to the strategies that have been working well for me thus far. Time to go back to stun-locking people with tiny swords :)

Mistel

Banned
Thanks! Regarding Tark, you might believe he is an enemy. I approached him supercarefuly just because he didn't lock on the camera.
You can kill him if that is what you desire so.
Got the Monastery Scimitar after about 8 or so Ascetics. It is truly awesome for PvE, no doubt, but I was struggling to be effective with it in PvP.

The fact that I'm not the best at parrying to begin with + omnipresent lag = me flamboyantly twirling a sword like an idiot and copping other swords to the face 90% of the time. I did manage to pull it off twice: once on a twin-blade spammer (easy enough) and another stopping a running 'spin-to-win' halberd attack in its tracks (more of a fluke).

I'd love to add parrying to my repetoire, but I feel it's detrimental to the strategies that have been working well for me thus far. Time to go back to stun-locking people with tiny swords :)
Daggers do have great stun locking abilities I'm partial to the mankins or myrtha's myself I carry a pair for backup if they don't get diced by a twirl I just stun lock them to death. If your iffy with parrying the monastery scimitar must be a real help after some more practice.

If your iffy with parrying the monastery scimitar must be a real help after some more practice.

Oh, for sure. I'm just not a fan of the amount of guess-work/inconsistency involved due to latency issues (that's how it feels to me, anyway). I don't think I have the patience to suffer through the learning curve.

Mistel

Banned
Oh, for sure. I'm just not a fan of the amount of guess-work/inconsistency involved due to latency issues (that's how it feels to me, anyway). I don't think I have the patience to suffer through the learning curve.
I personally don't bother with it I just stick to my twirls.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Monastery scimitar is for reaction parries and backdash parries. I'd prefer to use normal stuff for other kinds of parries.

Also, since the parry frames on the monastery scimitar are right in the beginning, this would make it easier to whiff punish, no?

Minamu

With 5 giant souls from ng, can I go straight to the end boss now that I've been to the Shrine? Not sure I want to go "find" the souls again, even though the boss is probably easy farming.

Mistel

Banned
With 5 giant souls from ng, can I go straight to the end boss now that I've been to the Shrine? Not sure I want to go "find" the souls again, even though the boss is probably easy farming.
It caps out at five giant souls so more will do nothing to Vendrick so you can kill him now. But you need to do the Giant lord as their kingship is required of Nashandra and it is key so you can't carry it over to a new game cycle.
Monastery scimitar is for reaction parries and backdash parries. I'd prefer to use normal stuff for other kinds of parries.

Also, since the parry frames on the monastery scimitar are right in the beginning, this would make it easier to whiff punish, no?
It does more or less depending on lag. With the monastery scimitar you can also roll parry too.

AngryMoth

I've also only really started trying to parry in pvp since getting the monastery scimitar. When someone comes at me with a big slow weapon like an ultra great sword I'm licking my lips because I can do it on reaction but for quicker weapons like katanas there's still too much lag. I have got better at anticipating attacks though. One strategy I use is to go for an attack even when I know they are out of range because they will very often try to come in and punish which is a good opportunity to parry.

You guys talk about roll-parries and backstep-parries as if they're actually part of the moveset... They're exploits, right? I mean, surely From's "B-Team" didn't introduce an animation-less super-parry.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
You guys talk about roll-parries and backstep-parries as if they're actually part of the moveset... They're exploits, right? I mean, surely From's "B-Team" didn't introduce an animation-less super-parry.

Intended or not, they are part of the general moveset. PvP games have been all about who can exploit the best since Street Fighter 2.

Top Bottom