• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
What's your opinion then? What did you contribute in this thread other than trolling?
Going to report you to a mod.
It seems like they are challenging your perception of a rotten core with polished exterior. Which they are entitled to do.
Yeah I realized earlier that is was a random friend on my ps3. No idea where I met him or why I added him but funny being matched randomly with someone on your friends list. First time after three games I've met someone I "know" xD
That's quite a coincidence lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What's your opinion then? What did you contribute in this thread other than trolling?
Going to report you to a mod.
No one is marrying Dark Souls, Valentine. I think the allegory is a bit silly in that context. Feel free to report anything you feel violates the terms of service. I think my post history in the thread speaks for itself.

There are definitely areas in which the core mechanics can be improved, and I feel like a number of boss fights were uninspired, creatively speaking. But there are as variety of methods to tackle each boss depending on whether you are a melee or magic build, and Dark Souls 2 also introduced a lot more viable range and healing options for players who want to mix it up.

People who wear Havel's have to cope with an extremely high equipment burden, and thus have to pump stat points into VIT or waste ring slots in order to still functionally roll in their armor. You can take advantage of this by punishing their limited mobility via magic and ranged attacked, using weapons that pass through shields, build up poison/bleed or set up parry attacks. I think there are very few circumstances in the game where there is literally nothing you can do to win (with the exception of someone who is hacking, and even then, using gravity to your advantage is often the best way to victory).

Some situations do feel cheap or frustrating and I hope FROM does some calibrations to counter balance things like useless dexterity scaling, poise damage, avelin dual wielding and parry backsteps / rolls. We'll see how it goes.

Soulhouf

1100+ physical defense, you hit them with a spear, they take like 50 damage. You don't think that's overpowered?

I was doing 350 damage with my normal Zweihander to a full upgraded Havel.
They are harder to kill but I'm having a good ratio of win with my naked guy and Desert Sorceress cosplay against these clones/clowns.
Parry/backstab even does between 1000 and 2000 damage with the same weapon.

Z..

~10 hours in.

The game is too similar to the other 2. Dark Souls was a needed progression and maturing of the DeS formula and actually managed to improve upon it in quite alot of ways.

DS2 brings nothing new to the table, so far it just seems to be a rethreading of what we've already seen. The same places, the same enemies, it seems a bit unnecessary, so far.

I'm obviously enjoying it, but I don't really see why this game needed to be made, yet. I'm getting an Uncharted 3 vibe from it.

Thank god they got rid of the humanity system, though.

Mistel

Banned
Thank god they got rid of the humanity system, though.
Why is that? It was far better in dark souls than it is here where you can be invaded for staying hollow and loose health with every death. Not to mention that once wretched you will be able to be decreased to 5% of your health.

So you are effectively punished for not staying human that is probably why the rings of life protection are repairable and early into the game.
Some of those phantom hits like the guy at 0.35 how did they hit them?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why is that? It was far better in dark souls than it is here where you can be invaded for staying hollow and loose health with every death. Not to mention that once wretched you will be able to be decreased to 5% of your health.

So you are effectively punished for not staying human that is probably why the rings of life protection are repairable and early into the game.

Some of those phantom hits like the guy at 0.35 how did they hit them?
The drop attack kill or the one right after? The angling on the drop attacks has always been weird, I've had drops that look like they should hit that don't and ones where the enemy is simply close to my side when I drop down that get flattened anyway. An amusing experiment I suppose would be to try a drop attack with a dagger to see the effect.

In general though, katanas are the kings of phantom range hitbox abuse.

Mistel

Banned
The drop attack kill or the one right after? The angling on the drop attacks has always been weird, I've had drops that look like they should hit that don't and ones where the enemy is simply close to my side when I drop down that get flattened anyway. An amusing experiment I suppose would be to try a drop attack with a dagger to see the effect.

In general though, katanas are the kings of phantom range hitbox abuse.
Arguably both I'd say. One up from a dagger would be to test a broken santiler's spear to see what that's like with it's rather odd hit boxes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I will say that DS2 seems like an astoundingly easy plat. You don't even have to get every accessory or rare weapon.
I had a lot more trouble with Dark Souls platinum because of the rare weapon requirement. I basically had to replay the game even though I beat it twice already just to make sure I got every single drop when I was supposed to. Also those fucking tail drops. So much rage.

Haha!

Playing games that you think are shit from developers you wish eternal and firey damnation... is your destiny?

Dude. You drew the shortest straw, methinks.
You don't know its shit till you try it. Didn't notice how bad it is till playing a second character. Too many flaws and fails. Did you plat yet?

spliced

So far online play is not really what I was expecting, it's not as busy as I thought it would be. I played DS1 2 years after it came out and pre lord vessel it was still about half as busy as this and it's only been 2 months. I went through No Man's Wharf in human form and didn't see an invader and the only summon sign I saw was the NPC. I do have to laugh at Lucatiel though, somehow they made an NPC even more of a punching bag than Solaire lol.

The Way of Blue doesn't work very good either. I assume they don't come in the bell towers, and of the 10 or so times I've been invaded outside of that I've only seen one show up. I was in Huntsman's Copse and got invaded and for about 3 minutes I never saw the invader and no way of blue member showed up the whole time. Talk about pointless.

I'm sure dueling is happening but I find that boring.

Mistel

Banned
So far online play is not really what I was expecting, it's not as busy as I thought it would be. I played DS1 2 years after it came out and pre lord vessel it was still about half as busy as this and it's only been 2 months. I went through No Man's Wharf in human form and didn't see an invader and the only summon sign I saw was the NPC. I do have to laugh at Lucatiel though, somehow they made an NPC even more of a punching bag than Solaire lol.

The Way of Blue doesn't work very good either. I assume they don't come in the bell towers, and of the 10 or so times I've been invaded outside of that I've only seen one show up. I was in Huntsman's Copse and got invaded and for about 3 minutes I never saw the invader and no way of blue member showed up the whole time. Talk about pointless.

I'm sure dueling is happening but I find that boring.
All your complaints are due to one feature soul memory. Which is very broken so that's understandable the ire it receives.

Z..

I disagree with all of that. You see those as negatives, I like it. Hated the humanity system, worst and most useless part of DaS, imo.

---

Guys, decided to go for an INT build. First time, never went INT or FAITH in either of my 6 playthroughs of the other 2 games.
Should I go DEX or STR? Which would you say works better with INT?

Mistel

Banned
I think I'm gonna need more effegies.
Ascetic the first bonfire in forest of the fallen giants 5 spawn in a chest nearby that and you can keep farming it like that.
I disagree with all of that. You see those as negatives, I like it. Hated the humanity system, worst and most useless part of DaS, imo.
Please do tell how it is the "worst and most useless part".

Now I am become troll, the destroyer of balance.

Monastery Scimitar + Shadow Dagger + BS parry... I've become what I hate. And I love it.

I think I had a string of 6 or 7 duels in Iron Keep last night that all ended identically: roll, roll, BS parry, riposte for 2.5k damage, 'I'm sorry' carving (for extra douche factor). I've become rather good at it.

What's more, I actually received a couple of messages commending me on my "tactical prowess". Bless. I was quick to reply and alert them to my bullshittery and that they, too, could join in, so give me some credit.

Seriously, though. Being an exploit-loving wang has breathed new life into PvP for me. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Mistel

Banned

Seriously, though. Being an exploit-loving wang has breathed new life into PvP for me. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
So glad you have come round to my mischievous ways in PvP. Might I suggest instead of "i'm sorry" "thank you" would be much more apt no?
Heh, I'm actually missing that fire...
It's right near the front door and you can farm the Heide knight nearby for drops. Have you brought the 13 from Agdayne?

Jaeger

Monastery Scimitar + Shadow Dagger + BS parry... I've become what I hate. And I love it.

I think I had a string of 6 or 7 duels in Iron Keep last night that all ended identically: roll, roll, BS parry, riposte for 2.5k damage, 'I'm sorry' carving (for extra douche factor). I've become rather good at it.

What's more, I actually received a couple of messages commending me on my "tactical prowess". Bless. I was quick to reply and alert them to my bullshittery and that they, too, could join in, so give me some credit.

loki-wink.gif

Welcome to the club.

Z..

Please do tell how it is the "worst and most useless part".

What do you mean, what do I mean? It was pretty much pointless, isn't it obvious? What did it add to the game? DeS and DS2 function perfectly well without it, it was a contrived gameplay mechanic that brought nothing new to the table. I'm guessing they realized and just did away with it for DS2.
It was the only addition in DaS that I felt wasn't needed.
It was only there to unnecessarily complicate everything without providing any benefits to the gameplay at all.
Maybe "hate" is a strong word, as it didn't even bother me, but I definitely do not see the need for it.

What did you like about it, if I might ask?

---

Guys, decided to go for an INT build. First time, never went INT or FAITH in either of my 6 playthroughs of the other 2 games.

*cof cof*
Gaf?

Mistel

Banned
What did you like about it, if I might ask?
The risk and reward, the thrill of the hunt being human allows you to be invaded and summon others. Being hollow does not. It also has benefits for stacking soft humanity such as increasing some weapons damage and improving item discovery.

Oh and by the way strength all the way.

I think that might be poison i'm not sure. Oh I found Rhoy in the grave of the saints.
This post on reddit was the only thing I could find about them. Poster thought that it healed you. This is the first time I've seen it so I guess it's rare.

This isn't the same as the one before the Congregation btw, it was a crimson red smoke that looked similar to the green poison mist. Got it in Earthen Peak if that matters (doubt it does).

maomaoIYP

Anyone knows which dagger gives the highest critical damage? Someone cleaned out 2k damage from a riposte from me, and I was wearing full havels. He had the invisible weapon ring so I had no idea what he used. The shadow dagger only has 130 critical. I'm using a mundane dagger and I can't seem to deal 2k ripostes to full havel wearing players. Another weapon which gives 150 critical is the mythra's blade, but it can't be infused and has low base damage.

All depends on what type of weapons you like using, because I don't think either really make a difference outside that regard.

I'd go with a lighter weapon because you ideally want to put as few points into DEX/STR as possible and put them into attunement and int or faith instead.

My preference is rapier class, I fucking love the mix of rapiers and spells. :)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I was just doing some sunbro co op and i must have helped this one guy beat the boss at least 6 times. My man must have dumped at least 10 plus ascetics in this area.

Top Bottom