• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Well, I don't see any other option here. I'm leaving GAF forever.

EDIT: I'm reading that the significantly faster save times on the 360 make the fog door trick a lot... Trickier. I guess I'll give it a go at some stage and find out for myself.
Not really much of a final post there then :p.

I've only done it twice just barely out of about 15 tries myself it's hard to consistently do. Unless I am doing it wrong.

Mistel

Banned
Shhhhh.

Every failed attempt = another ascetic, right?
Not unless you want to reset the whole drop table. Just farm the mad warrior till he drops everything. If you die for a drop and don't get it and the legs where the last thing left then ascetic the bonfire again.

Wear a jesters mask, prisoners tatters, gold covetous ring +2, and a watch dragon parma to boost your item discovery.

maomaoIYP

A short list of every useful/OP/annoying strategy I've come across in PvP.

- Santier's spear
1H roll R1, R1, R1 combo is probably the best spell casting punisher with a melee weapon
2H attack spam
easily beaten by parries (delay your attacks to beat parries)
2H running R1 gives lots of push back, great for knocking people off ledges

- power stanced avelyns
full havels set can tank pure physical avelyn shots pretty well
long recovery, high stamina usage and can be punished by rolling attacks or power stanced avelyns

- bat staff + dark fog
instant poison, get someone poisoned twice then turtle your way to an easy victory

- monastery scimitar
easy parries, parry cancelling
running attack is great since it's an unexpected way to end fights

- great heal, wrath of god
great heal is a must have for invasions
once you've let the host see that you have it you can run away to pretend to heal, but cast WoG instead
great for mixups post riposte

- katanas
running R1 is faster than the lag, strafe (or easy parry) to avoid

- dual weapon infinite stunlock combos
self explanatory
no easy way to deal with this except not get hit.

- upgraded dagger
for ripostes, some variations can do over 2k to full havel users (not sure if old leo ring boosts ripostes)

- profound still
cast before climbing ladders if you know the other player is waiting above with a spell (often seen in undead crypt, players camp in the alcove above the 2nd bonfire)
good for countering dark fog players

- lifedrain patch/greatbows
knock players off the ziplines in dragon aerie for easy victory

Not unless you want to reset the whole drop table. Just farm the mad warrior till he drops everything. If you die for a drop and don't get it and the legs where the last thing left then ascetic the bonfire again.

Wear a jesters mask, prisoners tatters, gold covetous ring +2, and a watch dragon parma to boost your item discovery.

Sorry, I was referring to Aurous. I'm 99% certain I've not died when MW has dropped something; and it feels as if he hasn't dropped something in 20+ spawns. His spawn rate is just the goddamn worst.

Have been wearing all that, too.

Mistel

Banned
Sorry, I was referring to Aurous. I'm 99% certain I've not died when MW has dropped something; and it feels as if he hasn't dropped something in 20+ spawns. His spawn rate is just the goddamn worst.

Well that sounds like so much fun no drops for 20+ kills. Aurous knight is really annoying like that.

I'm trying to finish the Pate/ Creighton storyline, but they aren't appearing at Tseldora. I talked to Pate in
Earthen Peak
and Creighton in
Shaded Woods
(spoilered in case people want to figure it out themselves, I guess), but they aren't appearing anywhere else. I thought they next appeared fighting in Tseldora.

I'm on NG+ and never summoned Pate for any boss fights.

Just finished my no-death run. Only took me two tries! Death on the first attempt was to...
Royal Rat Vanguard
=/ Final few bosses were pretty intense... my hands were shaking. Next up is the no bonfire run in NG+!

ds2_conqueror.jpg

ds2_stats.jpg

I'm trying to finish the Pate/ Creighton storyline, but they aren't appearing at Tseldora. I talked to Pate in
Earthen Peak
and Creighton in
Shaded Woods
(spoilered in case people want to figure it out themselves, I guess), but they aren't appearing anywhere else. I thought they next appeared fighting in Tseldora.

I'm on NG+ and never summoned Pate for any boss fights.

You need to go around the other side of the door near Pate and get the hidden item in a chest then open the door and talk to him.

Just finished my no-death run. Only took me two tries! Death on the first attempt was to...
Royal Rat Vanguard
=/ Final few bosses were pretty intense... my hands were shaking. Next up is the no bonfire run in NG+!

Wow! Nice job...

I tried no death runs in DS1 for a few weeks. Probably about 20 failed attempts. ='( The furthest I ever made it was to Kalameet's arena. I was going for the Titanite Slab, and then was going to Homeward Bone out. I had run in and looted that chest without dying to Kalameet's breath probably 10 times before and never even been touched by it. But for some reason this time I was too slow and got killed. I was sad. Never had the heart to try them again after that.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Immigrated from the PC thread

Just reached Doors of Pharros, killed the
Rat
King's challenger and switched my allegiance to an eminently noble being.

Opportunity to kill trespassers is indeed unique, water slows them down and few of the traps above throws
(some) infinite number of axes

Is lighting spear supposed to do insane damage to anyone in water, even if they are blocking? (I have a feeling that I am killing players super quick when they are in water and my lightning spear connects to them)

I also came across a Santiers Spear while unlocking random doors, its got insane amount of durability for a weapon (Appears that my durability problem is solved). But its got low damage..and a bit slow with no stats scale? (what the..). May be I can offset the low damage with a
Dark Weapon
buff.

Immigrated from the PC thread

Just reached Doors of Pharros, killed the
Rat
King's challenger and switched my allegiance to an eminently noble being.

Opportunity to kill trespassers is indeed unique, water slows them down and few of the traps above throws
(some) infinite number of axes

Is lighting spear supposed to do insane damage to anyone in water, even if they are blocking? (I have a feeling that I am killing players super quick when they are in water and my lightning spear connects to them)

I also came across a Santiers Spear while unlocking random doors, its got insane amount of durability for a weapon (Appears that my durability problem is solved). But its got low damage..and a bit slow with no stats scale? (what the..). May be I can offset the low damage with a
Dark Weapon
buff.

When your char is wet you get an increase in Fire def and a decrease in Lightning def

Wow! Nice job...

I tried no death runs in DS1 for a few weeks. Probably about 20 failed attempts. ='( The furthest I ever made it was to Kalameet's arena. I was going for the Titanite Slab, and then was going to Homeward Bone out. I had run in and looted that chest without dying to Kalameet's breath probably 10 times before and never even been touched by it. But for some reason this time I was too slow and got killed. I was sad. Never had the heart to try them again after that.

Thanks. Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt dying on my first attempt. Such an easy boss... just got greedy and tried to get that last hit even though I had no stamina. Bad idea.

I never tried a no death run in Dark Souls. I always felt like I would be able to if I tried, but with no reward I had no motivation to do so.

I have a feeling if I tried to PvP with these rings I'd get reported for cheating by basically every person I killed either because they don't know the rings exist and they think I'm somehow hacking to make my weapons invisible or they think I'm using a hacked save.

You were going after the optional bosses too?

Kind of. I was too scared to attempt the jump to skip RRV. On my successful attempt I didn't even go down the well. I just used two Bonfire Ascetics on
Old Iron King
to put me over 1m souls. I did do a few optional bosses/areas though.
Ornestin, No Man's Wharf+Flexile Sentry, Gargoyles, and Smelter Demon

Thanks. Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt dying on my first attempt. Such an easy boss... just got greedy and tried to get that last hit even though I had no stamina. Bad idea.

I never tried a no death run in Dark Souls. I always felt like I would be able to if I tried, but with no reward I had no motivation to do so.

I have a feeling if I tried to PvP with these rings I'd get reported for cheating by basically every person I killed either because they don't know the rings exist and they think I'm somehow hacking to make my weapons invisible or they think I'm using a hacked save.

Yeah, I didn't actually know there was a reward for it until your post. (Still on my first playthrough.) That's really cool, since I always liked the idea of no death playthroughs of games.

It's really impressive that you managed it on your second try (especially since I failed about 20 times in DS1 trying to do it)...out of curiosity, how many times had you completed the game before your no death attempts?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Believe me, if you haven't got it yet, he'll still drop it. Last piece took ages to drop for me (then we killed each other... So I lost it!).

Mistel

Banned
It acts like that in water, you do not yet have the true Santier spear so go break it.

maomaoIYP

Bate Havel down the broken bit of the then go back up top. With an ultra great sword then knock them off with that.

Unfortunately good players have no problems consistently avoiding that attack, it has a long start up time.

Also once you get them down there you could just push them down with a great arrow shot.

Mistel

Banned
Unfortunately good players have no problems consistently avoiding that attack, it has a long start up time.

Also once you get them down there you could just push them down with a great arrow shot.
That's probably why you have them down there so they can't avoid it without platforming.

It can technically all be done in NG with bonfire ascetics and a crap ton of PvP, but the easiest path is to get to NG++ and pickup a few of the spells that can be bought there that are covenant awards.

Ugh, I wanna platinum this game, but I don't know if I can go through the story a 6th time. So burnt out on this game.

Is there any easy way to get the hidden weapon spell without having to level up the bell cov??

^ It can be quite quick to farm Mad Warrior if you are listening for the loading at the bonfire. Probably a lot quicker than PvP if you're at a high level and facing people hundreds of levels above you. (No, I will never rest re: SM)

- great heal, wrath of god
great heal is a must have for invasions
once you've let the host see that you have it you can run away to pretend to heal, but cast WoG instead
great for mixups post riposte
loooooooool, this sounds fun!

The few times I've tried WotG in PvP it's been death for me, or run and away and chug for the other person.

aravuus

Dark Weapon
buff.

Isn't this the weapon that turns crazy when you've broken it?

e: late, apparently it is

Hayabusi

Stupid question, but can I see how many times I died somewhere? I only know where to look at total deaths. (PS3, if that is important)

Soulhouf

That said I fought a Havel player yesterday who cast GMB and that spell that slowly recovers health. It was freaking annoying.

It always amuses me when these dudes start with casting GMB and the other hex that prevents casting spells.
Dude, you're wasting your time, I don't use any magic whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzsnTBEABus

How to beat Havels. Time to get that Zwei ready.

That's why I love my Zwei.
I hope it won't become an over used weapon though :/

Arjen

^ It can be quite quick to farm Mad Warrior if you are listening for the loading at the bonfire. Probably a lot quicker than PvP if you're at a high level and facing people hundreds of levels above you. (No, I will never rest re: SM)

loooooooool, this sounds fun!

The few times I've tried WotG in PvP it's been death for me, or run and away and chug for the other person.

My WotG trick.
Invade in eathen peak, area before Covetous.
Use chameleon, hide between the pots at the entrance.
WotG when they walk by.
Once got a host and 2 phantoms in one blast.

aravuus

Best place to farm sun medals and be an all around great sunbro? I'm up to Earthen Peak myself, 280k SM. Not getting summoned much.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, I'll check those areas out later

I'm just not seeing other people's summon signs though, it's getting really annoying.
It is when sunlight farming that take priority to progress for me start low then farm as many at covetous then move onto Iron king and the twins to get all 30. Soul memory really annoying like that.
Nothing wrong.
I just feel dirty when I use the same weapons that everybody else use, especially these Havelynmancers assholes.
Well nothing wrong being a bit dirty.

aravuus

It is when sunlight farming that take priority to progress for me start low then farm as many at covetous then move onto Iron king and the twins to get all 30. Soul memory really annoying like that.

Soul Memory is just fucking stupid, hopefully the next Souls game will have nothing like it

I have to ask though, does anyone here have a fist-fighting character named Little Mac on PC? Cause he's been super helpful, I've summoned him twice today and I think twice yesterday

Soulhouf

Thanks, I'll check those areas out later

I'm just not seeing other people's summon signs though, it's getting really annoying.

You can blame the respec option combined with SM for that.
Less and less players create new characters now that the option to respec exists.

Starting from NG+ and at high SM I'm seeing way more online action than with my new characters who are still in NG.

Finally got the Mad Warrior leggings using the 'console quit trick'! A big thanks to all who chimed in with any info/advice.

Now, before you go, an important PSA regarding the 'console quit trick':

Firstly, it works like a charm, so don't worry about that. What you do need to know, however, is that any item that you pick up does NOT stay in your inventory if you do the CQT again immediately after (required) i.e. go to the dash without the game triggering another save, which is what the CQT is, basically. I stupidly thought - for whatever reason - that the items would remain and that I had been racking up dupes the whole time, so when I finally got my leggings, I figured I'd do a few more rounds for the heck of it. Big mistake; back to square one.

Luckily, all that was lost was an ascetic and another half an hour or so, but yeah, it was annoying.

All is well and good now, though. It's a great looking set. Not so sold on the mask, as it's a bit too on the nose with the Predator homage, but it goes nicely with a lot of other helms.

One last question: is there any reason why the CQT wouldn't work with the Aurous fellow? It seems a lot easier than the 'fog trick'.

aravuus

Oh wow, I got invaded by some other player. Like genuinely invaded outside the rat or bell places, in NG, by someone else playing the video game somewhere else.

This literally never happened on my PS3 playthrough

Top Bottom