• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Shrine of Amana is a god-awful place. The design is fantastic and really good to look at, but fuck those Priestesses. They can attack before I even see them. I'm trying to snipe everything and even that is difficult.

It makes more sense than doing it by soul level.

It would make it more sense to have it based on souls spent. Using souls collected, you are basically handicapped when you die repeatedly.

^ And punished for doing co-op.

? SL makes perfect sense.

You're SL100 and you put it all into INT, glass cannon. I'm SL100 I put it all into HP and Endurance, I'm weak but can tank. Balance, tradeoffs, this works.

You SL400, me SL100 - How does that work? It doesn't.

There are better ways to curb low level trolling without completely fucking up the rest of the game like SM does.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Memory is just fucking stupid, hopefully the next Souls game will have nothing like it

I've got my own special brand of smut don't you worry.

Me to it really doesn't make sense to segment the population based in souls collected.

I am having a blast with Soul Memory based interactions, almost regularly in every area.
Currently in NG
.haven't explored the area below the Grave of Saints
.Iron Keep; just reached it, haven't killed the
Smelter Demon
myself (helped others to kill it)
.Drangleic Castle, just explored a bit to met the
Queen of Drangleic
from across the platform (which was weird)

Slvl 100+, SM 1.5+MIL

Its because of Soul Memory the general multiplayer interactions are good (for me), I wouldn't want Dark Soul 1 based Slvl ranges (ever).

In Dark Souls..those Slvl ranges forced me to keep my Slvl low for any multiplayer interactions, at least in the vicinity of the general player population in the Slvl range. I was also a low level red invader, where I farmed for 99 humanity in the starting areas (for bonus defense).

Edit: The only thing which hurts my game with Soul Memory, is playing with a friend (that's it).

aravuus

I'm not necessarily saying the SL limit DS1 had was that good either

All I'm saying is that Soul Memory is stupid, like Bosstones said, if it tracked your souls used, it would at least make a bit more sense. Not necessarily good then either, but it would maybe make some sense.

Mistel

Banned
In Dark Souls..those Slvl ranges forced me to keep my Slvl low for any multiplayer interactions, at least in the vicinity of the general player population in the Slvl range. I was also a low level red invader, where I farmed for 99 humanity in the starting areas (for bonus defense).
So you were decked out by that point? So you were a dickwraith.
Which didn't punish you for co-op or farming for upgrades. It allowed for some level of comparison between those you could summon not having huge gaps like now based on memory.

In Dark Souls..those Slvl ranges forced me to keep my Slvl low for any multiplayer interactions, at least in the vicinity of the general player population in the Slvl range. I was also a low level red invader, where I farmed for 99 humanity in the starting areas (for bonus defense)
Basically confirming why anyone who thinks SM is a good thing thinks that - they want to tip the balance in their favour by not having a fair fight.

Jathaine

Soul Memory is bothersome because I want to keep my character at SL120 but I know if I keep playing her... once I hit that 12mil SM range I'll be fighting people of levels in the 400-500 ranges often.

I get invaded by blues all the time and I don't want it to be super overpowered Havelynmancers all day.
All SM is going to do is make me have to delete and keep regrinding my characters and that's certainly not fun.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Which didn't punish you for co-op or farming for upgrades. It allowed for some level of comparison between those you could summon not having huge gaps like now based on memory.

Personally, I found that invasions in DS were always from people with wildly more powerful equipment than I had at the time, whereas I think DS2 puts you on a far more level pegging. I rarely meet people in the early game with fully upgraded equipment from the late game, unlike DS.

Co-oping with friends is a nuisance but it always has been in the Souls series. Aside from a few concessions in DS2, they've never really been designed to accommodate co-op with friends at all. In that respect, they seem more like how I imagine Journey's MP works (at least, I assume so. Never played it).

Jathaine

Personally, I found that invasions in DS were always from people with wildly more powerful equipment than I had at the time, whereas I think DS2 puts you on a far more level pegging. I rarely meet people in the early game with fully upgraded equipment from the late game, unlike DS.

This has absolutely nothing to do with SL or SM!
It has to do with how long the game's been out. People are already beginning to do it on DS2 like the guy whose red sign I saw on my new character just now with jester body and other assorted gear on. I quite literally just made this character and saw his sign down at the door to the Cardinal Tower bonfire.
Expect more of this as the game gets older.

This may be a silly question, but do we know HOW exactly SM works?

Is it banded (i.e. 0-1mil, 1-2mil, etc.) or is a % of your SM (i.e. you can only deal with people within 15% of your SM)?

This may be a silly question, but do we know HOW exactly SM works?

Is it banded (i.e. 0-1mil, 1-2mil, etc.) or is a % of your SM (i.e. you can only deal with people within 15% of your SM)?

I think I remember someone posting something about tiers. The last tier basically includes everything past a certain SM (I think it was something like 16m + soul memory). And the summons and invasions operate within a few tiers of the one you're a part of. So you can summon people, say, two tiers below you and one tier up (Not saying that's true, just as an example).

Not sure if it was accurate or not though.

Edit: The tiers are in the wiki, but again its a wiki. But usually it seems pretty reliable.
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator#.U3YbNfldVqA

Edit2: and apperantely is was a post from reddit.

aravuus

Hmm, wonder if getting DEX to 18 on my STR/FTH build to use the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword was a mistake

Whatever, guess it doesn't matter, I have two soul vessels already. I'd just like to get rid of the original mace already lol

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It has to do with how long the game's been out. People are already beginning to do it on DS2 like the guy whose red sign I saw on my new character just now with jester body and other assorted gear on. I quite literally just made this character and saw his sign down at the door to the Cardinal Tower bonfire.
Expect more of this as the game gets older.

The question is: How did this guy get to IK, killing all the bosses and a large number of enemies, whilst only being within range of your SM? What was your SM at the time?

EDIT: I don't even know how SM works... XD

Hmm, wonder if getting DEX to 18 on my STR/FTH build to use the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword was a mistake

Whatever, guess it doesn't matter, I have two soul vessels already. I'd just like to get rid of the original mace already lol

I've read that the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is a pretty good wep throughout the game so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus the extra dex gives you a bit more flexibility to try out other weapons.

Jathaine

The question is: How did this guy get to IK, killing all the bosses and a large number of enemies, whilst only being within range of your SM? What was your SM at the time?

EDIT: I don't even know how SM works... XD

I don't know what my SM was at the time but I guarantee it was very low. I had just started the game and only run through the forest.
As to how he got it..? Who can really say? But the fact is that he did!

I think I remember someone posting something about tiers. The last tier basically includes everything past a certain SM (I think it was something like 16m + soul memory). And the summons and invasions operate within a few tiers of the one you're a part of. So you can summon people, say, two tiers below you and one tier up (Not saying that's true, just as an example).

Not sure if it was accurate or not though.

Edit: The tiers are in the wiki, but again its a wiki. But usually it seems pretty reliable.
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator#.U3YbNfldVqA

Edit2: and apperantely is was a post from reddit.

Awesome thanks. Looks like I was pretty close.

I would say not a mistake for two reasons.

a) the Pursuer's sword is pretty sick. maxed out has 390 attack + A scaling on STR.
b) More Dex lets you use a wider range of weapons, mainly bows. My character is basically a meat hammer, but having the option of a longbow has saved me more times than I can count.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what my SM was at the time but I guarantee it was very low. I had just started the game and only run through the forest.
As to how he got it..? Who can really say? But the fact is that he did!

Well, he can! XD

I think this is the exception rather than the rule (at least, from my experience with both games). As I understand it, the idea of SM was to stop/minimise twinking and I think that it's worked really well so far.

Time will tell if you're right, of course.

aravuus

I've read that the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is a pretty good wep throughout the game so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus the extra dex gives you a bit more flexibility to try out other weapons.

True enough

And if nothing else, it just looks fucking insanely awesome. The sword is as big as my character!

That extra Dex gives you some nice bow options.

I plan to get 18-20 dex in my faith/str build so I can use the Faith bow (bow of want) or the dragon rider bow.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lucatiel stuff:
I just realized, I totally forgot to summon Lucatiel for Flexile Sentry. What's the best course of action for me? I've already talked to her at No Man's Wharf and Lost Bastille and want to give myself the best chance of finishing her storyline.

Mistel

Banned
Lucatiel stuff:
I just realized, I totally forgot to summon Lucatiel for Flexile Sentry. What's the best course of action for me? I've already talked to her at No Man's Wharf and Lost Bastille and want to give myself the best chance of finishing her storyline.
Summon her at the other bosses or ascetic the bonfire.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
? SL makes perfect sense.

You're SL100 and you put it all into INT, glass cannon. I'm SL100 I put it all into HP and Endurance, I'm weak but can tank. Balance, tradeoffs, this works.

You SL400, me SL100 - How does that work? It doesn't.

There are better ways to curb low level trolling without completely fucking up the rest of the game like SM does.

SL doesn't make sense because souls are a universal currency. If I'm SL 10 with starter gear and you're SL10 because you've spent all your souls on upgrading your equipment to max instead of leveling, that sounds like a fair match to you?

I do sort of like the suggestion that it be based on souls spent instead of souls gained, though.

Sullichin

SL doesn't make sense because souls are a universal currency. If I'm SL 10 with starter gear and you're SL10 because you've spent all your souls on upgrading your equipment to max instead of leveling, that sounds like a fair match to you?

Actually..yes. I wish it worked that way.
You're never going to be able to strike that perfect balance. If it only counted souls spent: what if I spent a ton of souls on the armor merchant in Majula just to unlock more armor, or I bought a bunch of lifegems or arrows? What if I bought a weapon that you found lying around? Souls spent would be almost as bad as current SM in the long run. I'd go out of range of people from buying consumables and stuff after a while. Cracked orbs are 10k a piece!

SL is something that you can actually consciously control.

The condition for matchmaking should not be something out of the player's control. Keeping track of /being paranoid about how many souls you've spent / gained for the purposes of playing with others is ridiculous.

I do sort of like the suggestion that it be based on souls spent instead of souls gained, though.
Right this was the problem in DS1, they were meant to be sorting that out in DS2 - they didn't, they just delayed the unfair matchmaking until later on.

I get it - in DS1 dickwraiths were a big problem the older the game got, it was ridiculous, but SM as it works now is just switching one problem for another. There are other, better ways to solve both problems. Even souls spent doesn't really cut it because I could've spent everything on leveling up and weapon upgrades and you could've spent it all on pharros lockstones and green blossom. Same problem as before.

It still needs to be based on SL because that's the qualifier that determines your character stats. Said it before, but having SM work for a portion of the game would be better. Most people say NG only, this sounds better to me, it stops early game dickwraithing and once you switch over to SL matchmaking you won't be able to be invaded by people several hundred levels above you. Allowing you to stay at a decent SL for balanced play and pvp, and people who want to make all 99 stat characters still can, but they will only be invading others who do the same - fair fights all round.

Sullichin

Right this was the problem in DS1, they were meant to be sorting that out in DS2 - they didn't, they just delayed the unfair matchmaking until later on.

I get it - in DS1 dickwraiths were a big problem the older the game got, it was ridiculous, but SM as it works now is just switching one problem for another. There are other, better ways to solve both problems. Even souls spent doesn't really cut it because I could've spent everything on leveling up and weapon upgrades and you could've spent it all on pharros lockstones and green blossom. Same problem as before.

It still needs to be based on SL because that's the qualifier that determines your character stats. Said it before, but having SM work for a portion of the game would be better. Most people say NG only, this sounds better to me, it stops early game dickwraithing and once you switch over to SL matchmaking you won't be able to be invaded by people several hundred levels above you. Allowing you to stay at a decent SL for balanced play and pvp, and people who want to make all 99 stat characters still can, but they will only be invading others who do the same - fair fights all round.

I agree with you (my post above is very similar) but I'd go a bit further and only have SM for the first few starting areas. Once you get to Iron Keep or something, make it SL matching please.

But honestly I just want it removed completely. I was fine with how matchmaking worked in DaS. I understand people hating getting griefed by OP players though.

Minamu

Where would be a good levelling spot for me? I'm currently trying to use the BellBros for levelling but it's far too empty and unreliable to use pvp for grinding at this point. I'm at ng+ endgame at SL 269 and SM 20m almost. I just want to reach skx spell slots before ng++ :(

Edit: even above the highest SM tier, the game is a wasteland and Belfry Luna is emptier than usual.

Blinck

So I probably missed something very obvious...

But, who is the Saint that the NPC's are constantly referring to as having been buried down below the well long ago ?

Sullichin

Where would be a good levelling spot for me? I'm currently trying to use the BellBros for levelling but it's far too empty and unreliable to use pvp for grinding at this point. I'm at ng+ endgame at SL 269 and SM 20m almost. I just want to reach skx spell slots before ng++ :(

You do have clear bluestone ring+2 right? Adds 3 spell slots. SL269 is really high. Can't respec any of that and make it work?

Draenor

Banned
Just upgraded my graphics card and was considering purchasing dark souls 2 on steam.I have never played a dark souls/demon souls game before and was wondering was there any thing from the previous games that i need to know?

Minamu

You do have clear bluestone ring+2 right? Adds 3 spell slots. SL269 is really high. Can't respec any of that and make it work?
You mean the southern ritual band+2 I think? Yeah got it, but I would prefer real slots so I can use other rings. I think I sold all soul vessels xD

knitoe

I think you meant Southern Ritual Band +2. Clear Bluestone Rings shortens cast time.
You mean the southern ritual band+2 I think? Yeah got it, but I would prefer real slots so I can use other rings. I think I sold all soul vessels xD
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Soul+Vessel

Check. Maybe, you missed one.

Sullichin

Just upgraded my graphics card and was considering purchasing dark souls 2 on steam.I have never played a dark souls/demon souls game before and was wondering was there any thing from the previous games that i need to know?

- Absolutely use a controller
- You don't need any mods for it to run great out of the box but Durante's GeDoSaTo is really cool.
- Look at the tips post linked in the OT
- Try not to spoil yourself looking at walkthroughs. I think it's better to look up specific stuff online/ask here if you get stuck

I agree with you (my post above is very similar) but I'd go a bit further and only have SM for the first few starting areas. Once you get to Iron Keep or something, make it SL matching please.

But honestly I just want it removed completely. I was fine with how matchmaking worked in DaS. I understand people hating getting griefed by OP players though.
Yeah, I think I suggested I'd like to see SL kick in at Drangleic Castle earlier in the thread. I don't know how they'd communicate that in game, so I can see why people say at the switch over to NG+ where there's a message about matchmaking any way.

Blinck

Play Dark Souls 1 first if possible ( personal opinion )
Get a shield.
Get a bow. Then later get poison arrows.
If in doubt put points in Vigor ( more HP ).
Play slowly and carefully. Shield always up.
Don't worry about losing souls. You will lose a lot of them.
Talk to every NPC until they start repeating their dialogue again.
After defeating some bosses talk to the NPC's again.
Don't attack friendly NPC's.
Upgrading your weapons/shields is extremely important and you will notice the effects more than leveling up.
Make sure you don't fat roll ( keep your weight below 70% )
If you are having a lot of trouble you can summon help through co-op if you are in human form.
If you are having trouble and need to look something up ask here. If you go to a wiki or something similar you will end up looking through everything and spoiling yourself.
Prepare to die.
Have fun.
Best series of this generation!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Your barely going to understand a whole lot of story stuff without having played Dark Souls.
Then again, you'd probably woouldn't if you did play it either.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
It has to do with how long the game's been out.

I disagree.

Basically SM mentions how much time you have spent gaining souls, which is much better option than just having SL ranges for multiplayer.

SM Includes
.how much souls one utilized to level up
.how much souls one utilized to spend on purchases/upgrades from merchants
.how much souls one wasted by dying (souls lost)
..indirectly is related to how much
...time was spent in the game with that char, killing monsters/gaining souls
...further a char had proceeded in the game (there by drawing a sort of line for item acquisition)
Note: in the case of NG

If only SL were to be considered, the one only needs to follow
.character level
..while complete ignoring
...how much souls anyone would have collected
....and spent on purchases/upgrades
....and acquired item from which location in the game (during progression)

-----
Edit
It acts like that in water, you do not yet have the true Santier spear so go break it.
Isn't this the weapon that turns crazy when you've broken it?
e: late, apparently it is

Wow, the Santier Spear became an insanely fast hitting weapon when wielded in two hands (holy shit) and there is no durability bar for it

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah. So you too have succumbed

It would appear so.

The thing is, the moveset makes me feel like Darth freakin' Maul (my character has red skin...), but it is taking some getting used to. I'd never seen anyone use it before, but the first time I tested it out in Belfrey Sol... the other guy was using it too. Needless to say, he gave me a thorough pranging. XD

I'm thinking of making all my Hex/Miracle spells utility ones, so I can go for a kind of Dark Warrior/Jedi-esque type of character. Recommendations for the best utility spell line up? I have 5 slots available, I think.

Levito

Banned
So, that Ring Of Life Protection is a bit overpowered, isn't it? For those that don't have it: It's a ring that makes it so you don't lose souls OR become hollow when you die. It breaks each time but it only costs 3000 souls to repair.

Beat the Belfry Gargoyles AND the Lost Sinner last night. Kind of think the Lost Sinner fight isn't nearly as tough as some people made him out to be. I got him on my second attempt.

Undead Crypt perhaps. Thanks. I need the slots for hex spells during my no bonfire run next playthrough.

Edit: Granted, I probably won't need the silver serpent ring in ng++ considerig how difficult it'll be to level up, hmm.
Do coop, on the later bosses. Tons of people need help, and each trip yields about 200k.

Top Bottom