• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sullichin

It would appear so.

The thing is, the moveset makes me feel like Darth freakin' Maul (my character has red skin...), but it is taking some getting used to. I'd never seen anyone use it before, but the first time I tested it out in Belfrey Sol... the other guy was using it too. Needless to say, he gave me a thorough pranging. XD

I'm thinking of making all my Hex/Miracle spells utility ones, so I can go for a kind of Dark Warrior/Jedi-esque type of character. Recommendations for the best utility spell line up? I have 5 slots available, I think.
Resonant weapon if you're not already.
Profound still is great (prevents people from casting magic)
Scraps of Life isn't a utility spell but it's great damage dealer in PVE that doesn't use souls, and every once in a while is useful in PVP
Resonant Flesh will give you a shitton of HP for a short time.

So, that Ring Of Life Protection is a bit overpowered, isn't it? For those that don't have it: It's a ring that makes it so you don't lose souls OR become hollow when you die. It breaks each time but it only costs 3000 souls to repair.

Beat the Belfry Gargoyles AND the Lost Sinner last night. Kind of thing the Lost Sinner fight isn't nearly as tough as some people made him out to be. I got him on my second attempt.

It's not really overpowered - It takes up a ring slot that you can use for something that actually improves your character. You are certainly gimping yourself in some way if you use it, although that compromise is worth it if you're dying a lot. 3K souls does seem too cheap to repair it though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Your avatar is terrifying.

Ah, he's cute. A cheeky little blood sucking scamp... Just like me!

Resonant weapon if you're not already.
Profound still is great (prevents people from casting magic)
Scraps of Life isn't a utility spell but it's great damage dealer in PVE that doesn't use souls, and every once in a while is useful in PVP
Resonant Flesh will give you a shitton of HP for a short time.

Nice one. I'm a bit wary of spending Souls though. Are there any cheap equivalents till I start earning more?

What does Scraps of Life do exactly? Also, is the Emit Force miracle any good (you know, for that extra Jedi frisson)?

Sullichin

Why the sad face, man?

Because everyone is using Resonant Weapon'd Dark Santier's Spears in PVP.
Just playing though, you should use what you want. It is a fun weapon with a great moveset. It's too good right now though, and because of lag it's really hard to accurately gauge its hitbox. This thing hits everywhere.

Hmm, wonder if getting DEX to 18 on my STR/FTH build to use the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword was a mistake

Whatever, guess it doesn't matter, I have two soul vessels already. I'd just like to get rid of the original mace already lol
Try out the move set, see if you like it. Personally I like greatsword better. Pursuers first hit is always vertical. I don't like it.

Does anyone know if ENB is working on lore videos? I know he wrote a lot of the guide, but wondering if he's planning on doing YouTube videos like he did for DS1.

aravuus

Try out the move set, see if you like it. Personally I like greatsword better. Pursuers first hit is always vertical. I don't like it.

Yeah, I'm not really sure about the moveset. And I'm going to need at least 2 more petrified dragon bones to make it worthwhile, and it's gonna take quite a while. Right now it deals less damage than my Greatsword or Mace even.

Experimenting with the weapons is fun though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Because everyone is using Resonant Weapon'd Dark Santier's Spears in PVP.
Just playing though, you should use what you want. It is a fun weapon with a great moveset. It's too good right now though, and because of lag it's really hard to accurately guage its hitbox. This thing hits everywhere.

Fair enough. I've only met one other person using it myself.

If it makes a difference I have one character who uses only BKH, Katanas (all of 'em) and the spotted whip, one who exclusively uses Caestus and Miracles, and another who only has a sword and whip at the moment. Not a Havel's (or even a regular shield) on any of them. I deserve at least one ridiculously OP item/armour/weapon! ;)

7DnlZF5.jpg

I have
three Great Souls
. I feel like I'm really, really slow at this game. I have no idea how much I have left, but I seem to think I have quite a bit still. (Please nobody tell me -- I like not knowing.)

Started as Deprived, and have done the Covenant of Champions for the entire first playthrough so far. So no summoning of other players or NPCs. (I realize that means I'll miss on some NPC storylines, but I'm okay with that. Gives me more motivation to play through again after this.) The green lady told me to seek misery, so that's what I'm doing.

Draenor

Banned
Play Dark Souls 1 first if possible ( personal opinion )
Get a shield.
Get a bow. Then later get poison arrows.
If in doubt put points in Vitality.
Play slowly and carefully. Shield always up.
Don't worry about losing souls. You will lose a lot of them.
Talk to every NPC until they start repeating their dialogue again.
After defeating some bosses talk to the NPC's again.
Don't attack friendly NPC's.
Upgrading your weapons/shields is extremely important and you will notice the effects more than leveling up.
Make sure you don't fat roll ( keep your weight below 70% )
If you are having a lot of trouble you can summon help through co-op if you are in human form.
If you are having trouble and need to look something up ask here. If you go to a wiki or something similar you will end up looking through everything and spoiling yourself.
Prepare to die.
Have fun.
Best series of this generation!

- Absolutely use a controller
- You don't need any mods for it to run great out of the box but Durante's GeDoSaTo is really cool.
- Look at the tips post linked in the OT
- Try not to spoil yourself looking at walkthroughs. I think it's better to look up specific stuff online/ask here if you get stuck

Thanks for the advice guys,think ill buy dark souls 1 first and then move onto 2.

Minamu

Do coop, on the later bosses. Tons of people need help, and each trip yields about 200k.
I'm frankly having issues finding people to play with wherever I go at the moment :lol Maybe it's the time of day. Either way, I relocated some ADP and VGR to get to 6 spell slots. It doesn't matter how much ADP I have, as long as I reach 110 AGL, right? Went down from 38 to 30 ADP, didn't really notice any difference in pvp.

I'll try more cooping outside ToW, instead of inside the castle maybe. That place is desolate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really? Is it not an AoE thingy? I'll get on that then.
Force is the AoE push and so far as I can tell it's pretty much useless most situations. Emit Force is a super awesome single target shot. Awesome speed and range. Only downside to it at all is that you take a big step forward casting it, so if you're trying to shoot something off the edge of a platform, be wary of standing a bit back before each cast.
Thanks for the advice guys,think ill buy dark souls 1 first and then move onto 2.
I haven't beaten it but I sort of don't think this is necessary, I think they could be experienced in any order as long as you understand DS1 is in the past. Then again, the performance of 2 will kind of spoil you whereas playing 1 then coming to 2 it's like "ahhhhh."

Okay, Felkin the Outcast/Soul Vessel related question- does a Soul Vessel let you
re-spend all the stat points you've allocated, or just a certain amount or what? Can I level up INT to get the stuff he gives/sells, then use a Soul Vessel and get rid of all of it again? INT is useless to my build.

Mistel

Banned
Okay, Felkin the Outcast/Soul Vessel related question- does a Soul Vessel let you
re-spend all the stat points you've allocated, or just a certain amount or what? Can I level up INT to get the stuff he gives/sells, then use a Soul Vessel and get rid of all of it again? INT is useless to my build.
A soul vessel allows you to relocate all your points for no cost other than the vessel itself and if you raise you intelligence to 10 then you can speak to Felkin.
So, that Ring Of Life Protection is a bit overpowered, isn't it? For those that don't have it: It's a ring that makes it so you don't lose souls OR become hollow when you die. It breaks each time but it only costs 3000 souls to repair.
Not really I think with the soul memory aspect all souls count so you might as well try an hold onto as many as possible.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I've been using Heide Knight Sword for my whole playthrough so far. Any suggestions for any better or just different weapons?

aravuus

Smelter Demon is skippable, right? How do you skip him again?

He's still as fucking annoying as ever

e: and when i eventually want to destroy him, what was the shield called that blocked 100% (?) of both physical and fire?

Arjen

e: and when i eventually want to destroy him, what was the shield called that blocked 100% (?) of both physical and fire?

Grym greatshield.

spliced

Wowza are the Shaded Woods dreadlock enemies ever resistant to spells. I swear I killed the Old Iron King in only about 3 more casts than it took to kill 1 single dreadlock enemy.

Mistel

Banned
Wowza are the Shaded Woods dreadlock enemies ever resistant to spells. I swear I killed the Old Iron King in only about 3 more casts than it took to kill 1 single dreadlock enemy.
Try backstabbing them.
Pretty much anything I can 1h with a shield. I used a spear in DeS and a scythe in DS1.
That's not that helpful really you can one hand everything with the right stats. What are your stats you have currently?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

All of them. You can do what you suggested.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Go through the furnace. Be sure to turn it off first! And it's the Gyrm Greatshield. Drops from Gyrm with shields in Doors of Pharros.

Also Smelter is really easy if you can roll imo. But I suppose "lern2roll" isn't a helpful tip? But srsly lern2roll.

Mistel

Banned
54 STR / 27 DEX.
You can use preety much everything with those stats try a Gyrm axe, Pursuer ultra greatsword, mastodon greatsword, Gyrm great hammer, red iron twin blade. Strength is far better scaling than dex is so make use of what you've got with some big weapons.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
You can use preety much everything with those stats try a Gyrm axe, Pursuer ultra greatsword, mastodon greatsword, Gyrm great hammer, red iron twin blade. Strength is far better scaling than dex is so make use of what you've got with some big weapons.

Alright, thanks.

aravuus

Go through the furnace. Be sure to turn it off first! And it's the Gyrm Greatshield. Drops from Gyrm with shields in Doors of Pharros.

Also Smelter is really easy if you can roll imo. But I suppose "lern2roll" isn't a helpful tip? But srsly lern2roll.

I'm not exactly new to rolling, my first playthrough was with a DEX character with no shield

My current build is pretty much a fat roller with almost zero ADP, so I don't think rolling is a viable option

Hayabusi

Just my opinion: But I started with 1 a few months back and it was just to "hard" and inaccessible for me. Now that I played DS2 around 45h I see that I am a lot better now and have more fun when I return to 1.
So I will finish 2 and then go back to 1.

aravuus

You haven't got the rings than can raise your equipment load at all like the royal solider and dragon crest rings?

I do, and actually, rolling is possible if I roll with the Mace. And I still do, cause it's still good.

Never had much problems dodge-rolling other enemies, it's just that I really really hate the Smelter Demon lol

I want to give Drangleic Sword a try, but I need Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it. And my Idol's Chime also needs it, so.. Yeah

e: and zweihander, cause damn, that reach

garath

Just my opinion: But I started with 1 a few months back and it was just to "hard" and inaccessible for me. Now that I played DS2 around 45h I see that I am a lot better now and have more fun when I return to 1.
So I will finish 2 and then go back to 1.

I actually agree with this a lot. I couldn't get into Dark Souls 1 but instantly loved Dks2. I actually feel I might circle back around to 1 and try again after this playthrough.

Mistel

Banned
I do, and actually, rolling is possible if I roll with the Mace. And I still do, cause it's still good.

Never had much problems dodge-rolling other enemies, it's just that I really really hate the Smelter Demon lol

I want to give Drangleic Sword a try, but I need Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it. And my Idol's Chime also needs it, so.. Yeah

e: and zweihander, cause damn, that reach
Upgrade your Zwei and you will not regret it. You might want to raise your vitality for higher equip load.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So for fun I upgraded and began using a +10 Murakumo last night.

First impressions: "It sure is heavy. Huh, I swing in the direction of my stick even after pressing attack? Okay, interesting..."

20 minutes later...

HOLY SHIT, the damage is so good. Raped Ancient Dragon on and Vendrick in NG+ without breaking a sweat. And I love smashing people into the ground with 2-handed R2.

This is all coming from a mainly light weapon / dex build guy that has never really tried heavy weapons before. Swings leave you wide open for abuse but it really is only a matter of adjusting your timing and being patient. At this rate with how fun the moveset is, I might actually try to make a build that uses the curved dragon greatsword.

sikkinixx

So.... I have no idea what to do from here.

I JUST got to Iron Keep (I beat the Lost Sinner by accident which I don't think was in the cards for a bit...?) and this screenshot is about 8 levels ago. I piled 5 into strength and a few into VIGR.

FD70C8092C4A6779BE1DFDF65678DAF421FB5ED7

I've been use that mace for the entire game, and use the club as my secondary since they just seem to work. I use miracles like crazy so I'm trying to keep faith high.

I'm not sure at all what I should be levelling up or items that would help advance my character. With DS it was easy... pile all points into Faith (divine weapon scaling), Endurance until 40 then Vitality. This game though seems to want me to spread all my points out across vigr, end, vit, agility/attn.

aravuus

Upgrade your Zwei and you will not regret it. You might want to raise your vitality for higher equip load.

This post is accurate. The Zwei is pure boss mode. Except in narrow quarters, then you won't hit anything but the wall.

I was gonna give up Ultra Greatswords but damn, guess I gotta give Zwei another try.

Now I've got extra 8 points I think on DEX though, tempted to respec them to FTH and VIT

Also the Mace is still somehow really really good, roll attack deals way over 400 damage on Iron Keep's mooks and it's really easy to pull off

Think I'm gonna aim for Idol's Chime + Mace + Zwei for now, and try to keep equip load under 70

e: actually the mace is dealing really high damage on them with other attacks too lol, guess they're pretty vulnerable to blunt damage

Top Bottom