• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

HoosTrax

How high does your lowest need to be in order for Mundane to be worth considering?

I think I'm around the mid 200s in terms of SL, don't remember my lowest attribute, but it's most likely 20.

Fuck the ungrateful cunts who summon you for co-op, have you help them fight to the boss, then kick you right before the battle. Now I just place my sign right before the fog gate.

aravuus

Fuck the ungrateful cunts who summon you for co-op, have you help them fight to the boss, then kick you right before the battle. Now I just place my sign right before the fog gate.

Wow, that's stupid

Thank god I haven't met anyone like that yet

e: i have literally no idea why i'm sunbro'ing at iron keep, at best i get a sun medal ever fifth summoning

but at least i get ridiculous shit tons of souls, love how much the enemies here give them

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How high does your lowest need to be in order for Mundane to be worth considering?

I think I'm around the mid 200s in terms of SL, don't remember my lowest attribute, but it's most likely 20.
20 is good for Mundane. My mundane build has all stats at 23 right now (except strength at 25 to 1h Avelyn) and my Avelyn hits like a truck.

What does mundane even do?
It strips a weapon's inherent scaling and reduces its base damage, but makes it scale with your lowest stat (that includes all stats, even VGR or ATT and whatnot). So it's good for weapons with poor or no scaling, obviously.

It's interesting that having an even stat spread is useful and worthwhile, for once. In the past two games it was really, really bad. But thanks to the Mundane infusion, a Mundane build is pretty solid and truly versatile, even at just 18-20 of each stat. Decent attunement means you can rock a few spells (and mixed with high ADP gives you very high agility), decent faith/int means you can use hexes, decent str and dex gives you access to a few weapons, decent vit means you can equip heavy armour and weapons, etc.

The only downsides is that your VGR is kinda low-ish so you're a bit of a glass canon, andother than Santier's spear and maybe the black dragon weapons, there aren't that many good melee weapons to use that I could find.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm guessing they just wanted help with the mobs and want to solo the bosses... but yes, that's a dick move, they should just summon Shades in those cases, that's what they're for.

Temidien

Neo Member

Unfortunately I had to do this the other day as I needed to go AFK shortly (no time to attempt boss without feeling pressured to fight quickly) and felt it was nicer to boot them rather than actually go AFK and let them stand around for a few minutes doing nothing.

To that magnificently ill-equipped Sunbro that shined so grossly incandescent in the face of overwhelming odds, my apologies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Unfortunately I had to do this the other day as I needed to go AFK shortly (no time to attempt boss without feeling pressured to fight quickly) and felt it was nicer to boot them rather than actually go AFK and let them stand around for a few minutes doing nothing.

To that magnificently ill-equipped Sunbro that shined so grossly incandescent in the face of overwhelming odds, my apologies.

So whatever estus they used and weapon durability they incurred helping you wasn't restored cause you kicked them.

Don't do this. Ever.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's not that big of a deal but be aware that phantoms that are forced out receive nothing, so you basically just wasted their time. Whereas if the time expires, they are usually still rewarded for their efforts (replenished flasks, durability, receive a small smooth and silky stone or sunlight medal).

So unless you have a very good reason, don't kick people from your game, it's quite rude.

Akito

Finally motivated enough to do some PvP action, I'm still terrible at this and probably will always be but I had plenty of fun nonetherless with the duels on the bridge to the Iron Keep, mostly against dragonbros. Seems like this will be my method of choice for PvP in this game, I tried the Bell areas but ganking seems like a real thing there.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know where the whole "Everything-Bro" thing in the Souls series started? (Sunbros, Onionbro, Dragonbro, Bellbros, Forestbros, etc.) Was it around during the Demon days, or did it start with Dark Souls?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Going through NG+ at high SM and I'm getting invaded CONSTANTLY. Pretty much whenever my invasion cooldown runs out, another dude jump in. Doesn't matter where I am. Unfortunately, most of them are tryhard hexers/Avelyns/Santiers. Also, the lag and hitboxes make PvP not all that satisfying.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Out of curiosity, does anybody know where the whole "Everything-Bro" thing in the Souls series started? (Sunbros, Onionbro, Dragonbro, Bellbros, Forestbros, etc.) Was it around during the Demon days, or did it start with Dark Souls?

Pretty sure it's ENB's fault. So DS1 i guess.

Zocano

VaatiVidya put out his Dark Souls 2 Ending/Story explanation video. Spoilers for the ending and subsequently the rest of the story.

It's well done and he explains the main things pretty well. I think ultimately I want to know
if breaking the cycle is a possibility or if inevitability and hopelessness are truly just that.
The curse of life is the curse of want, I guess.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
VaatiVidya put out his Dark Souls 2 Ending/Story explanation video. Spoilers for the ending and subsequently the rest of the story.

It's well done and he explains the main things pretty well. I think ultimately I want to know
if breaking the cycle is a possibility or if inevitability and hopelessness are truly just that.

Well life started as hollows, so I imagine to break the curse would require people to abandon the flame and revert to their original forms.

BadWolf

Pretty sure it's ENB's fault. So DS1 i guess.

He's the first one I heard them from personally.

Yeah, really great vids. Makes me appreciate the story and characters a lot more.

DS2 doesn't get much love when it comes to story but I like it.

Do I have to be in/near the bell tower to get summoned while wearing the seal? Or can I be galavanting around anywhere and get called?

Also can people be invaded by multiple red spirits now? I red orb invaded someone and he got invaded by Another dark spirit who I was even able to backstab him while he was fighting the host.

Also I invaded another guy who had a white summon spirit with him who was like invincible, I'd backstab him for like 5% health, he was wearing super light looking armor too. Hacker?

Odd stuff.

I didn't want to invade innocents but invaded guilty people via boue orbs is literally possible at my SM range, and the free titanite chunks via bell is tempting.

aravuus

Do I have to be in/near the bell tower to get summoned while wearing the seal? Or can I be galavanting around anywhere and get called?

Almost anywhere, most bonfire and boss rooms are an exception I believe. When the covenant logo is flashing, you can get summoned

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Black Gulch is terrible. If I'm not poisoned, I'm ate.

The Wiki said:
PLEASE NOTE: Statues do not repair themselves when the player rests at the bonfire, but DO repair themselves if the player teleports to another bonfire, or dies (basically, they come back whenever the player sees a loading screen). If you quit the game and return later while in this zone, it also seems that the statues will not respawn.

Horseshit. They respawn on sitting down. Dunno if it's a bug on the PC version but it's fucking annoying. Even with summons I can't get anywhere without SMACK SMACK SMACK POISON/TOXIC SMACK SMACK SMACK happening.

eot

Banned
Not as hard as Smelter, but definitely the closest thing so far.
iLeyqJN.jpg
If you use consumables like firebombs or throwing knives I imagine it gets way easier.

Mistel

Banned
Also I invaded another guy who had a white summon spirit with him who was like invincible, I'd backstab him for like 5% health, he was wearing super light looking armor too. Hacker?
They probably had better equipment than you considering the fact you could actually damage them. You'd be an awful hacker if you couldn't even cheat properly.

Black Gulch is terrible. If I'm not poisoned, I'm ate.

Horseshit. They respawn on sitting down. Dunno if it's a bug on the PC version but it's fucking annoying. Even with summons I can't get anywhere without SMACK SMACK SMACK POISON/TOXIC SMACK SMACK SMACK happening.

Just get Emit Force and the Binoculars and sit back blow that shit up. It is very cathartic.

Well the Undead Crypt is a real son of a bitch. I just fell through
the hole with graves and statues
. Fuck man. Really love the inconsistencies with when my weapon can and can not go through a wall.

L.O.R.D

i start to get bored of this game
i should go and finish other game and return to it another time
its been good time invading with you guys

Missed out on much of the PC OT only to find out that we've moved here lol.

Anyway, I finally finished NG, and it took me thrice as long as the average player (98 hours) because I wanted to get everything I could before NG+ and I was playing mostly blind so most of it was spent clicking "A" on every nook and cranny to make sure I didn't miss anything. Cleared out the merchants of their finite weapons and consumables and did most of the NPC quests I could find. Farmed mobs for their unique armor sets that only they drop and I think I got most of them. Some of them went extinct before I could get the whole set, which is a bummer.

It was a fun ride, once I got to grips with the altered melee combat mechanics and accepted the simplification of this sequel as compared to the first game. I outlined some of them in that other Dark Souls 2 thread. My biggest gripe was the altered and more unpredictable Parry/Riposte mechanic (which I discovered pretty earlier on the game in the tutorial area itself), which led me to use the more reliable Backstabs as much as I could instead.

It does feel like some areas were unfairly balanced in favour of casters, e.g. the Shrine of Amana which makes you feel like a sitting duck in a shooting gallery of Homing Soul Arrow casters. Rocking heavy armor in that area was not a good idea at all.

Will try a caster/faith build for NG+, hopefully it'll work out.

Well the Undead Crypt is a real son of a bitch. I just fell through
the hole with graves and statues
. Fuck man. Really love the inconsistencies with when my weapon can and can not go through a wall.

Hehehe, that was one of the highlights of my 1st playthrough. Being a pure melee build, not knowing what to expect and lacking CC killed me the first time around.

I kept one statue alive as a viable source of infinite souls from the Leydia Pyromancers and for testing damage lol

cooplefmi.png

pvpxmdj9.png

Obviously, closer to release you will see a lot more Coop going on, and then a shift towards PvP.

Really cool data. Interested to see the death count aligned data when available.

Sad to see numbers not stabilizing. PC concurrent users has yet to show any sign of leveling off.

They probably had better equipment than you considering the fact you could actually damage them. You'd be an awful hacker if you couldn't even cheat properly.

Now that I think it about it it was that npc.

The musketeers chick you can summon for sinner lol, had completely forgotten about her, and thats where I had invaded lol.

Explains why she was so tanky. Doesn't explain why she didn't attackbut w/e just bad ai I guess.

Really cool data. Interested to see the death count aligned data when available.

Sad to see numbers not stabilizing. PC concurrent users has yet to show any sign of leveling off.

Nice to see FROM's efforts in pimping DkS2 as a PC 1st effort worked wonders. We may see even more PC focused productions from them next time around.

Durante

Stabilizing at over 4 million Coop events (or over 1 million PvP) would be asking a bit much feel ;)

DS1 on PC stabilized around 4k concurrent IIRC (well, before DS2 was released), let's see how 2 does long term.

Top Bottom