• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

aravuus

I just realized I've spent almost all my free time today and yesterday playing Dark Souls II

I've put over 60 hours into the PS3 version, how is this game still so goddamn addictive

e: I'm gonna have to try a fist-fighting build after this one

Durante

I'm also immigrating.

Sad fact: Ashen Knight Boyd is more competent on Bonfire level 3 than any of the people I could summon. Tried 5 times, first 4 times with randoms, then just me and good old damage sponge Boyd.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im not mad that i got mollywhopped by an invader with a whip named 'Simon Belmont'. Im mad that im not an invader with a whip named Simon Belmont

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I found the fastest way to kill V
endrick
: dual Old Whips (with a buff, preferably). :D

See, whips suck generally.... I made a whole playthrough using nothing but crossbows and whips, both powerstanced (which required me to pump dex and str both... because I like to suffer). Powerstanced heavy crossbows kind of suck: they hit moderately hard, but the reload time is sloooooow. Once I got Avelyn (and a second one from my friend who wasn't using it) and tried powerstancing them, it was absurd; you shoot 3 times as many bolts per shot, but the reload is way faster? Wot? Go figure. That said, powerstancing Avelyns is so absurd that I don't use it in PvP because it's just broken... unless someone whips out Avelyn first (or does something shitty like attacking me while I bow or chug Estus). Then I whip out mine. XD Machine Gun Souls FTW.

So anyway, I kind of struggle for most of the game with that setup but it was pretty fun. The biggest problem was durability; for some reason the Old Whip degrades really fast, not sure if it's a glitch or not, but it was so bad that before I got the Knuckles ring, it wouldn't even last against a full boss fight without becoming at risk. I used a standard Whip+10 in the left hand before I got my second Old Whip, the durability is fine but it's much weaker. Don't ever bother with the Notched Whip. Possibly the worst weapon in the game? Its damage is pitiful, the bleed takes 3-4 hits to proc (on mobs that take like 2 hits from an unupgraded fire longsword -_-), and it cannot be infused. If you want to play with whips (hurr hurr) and can't get lucky with the crows, use the normal whips sold by Gilligan instead. The Old Whip has much better damage (at +2 it outdamaged my +10 whip...) but requires twinkling and has that durability problem. Once you get the knuckles ring+2 it's better though. Also, be a Shade a lot to repair, or bring repair powder.

Back to V
endrick
: this is where the Old Whip was redeemed in my eyes. See, whips do poorly against armoured enemies (which is a significant percentage of the game's mobs :p), but do good against flesh, and of course
Vendrick
is naked. Moreover, an interesting effect of the Old Whip is that it gets a damage boost against Hollows, and of course, he's very, very Hollowed. I beat him using a Whip +10 and an Old Whip+5 and dark pine resin, powerstanced, and did 800+ damage per L2 hit. He died before my resin went out, lol. I think even my Mundane Santier took a bit longer (my weapon buff had time to expire on that one and I used the lingering crest ring+1). I really wish I had gotten my second Old Whip earlier to test the obscene amount of damage it would do. I don't know if I could have used a better buff than simple resin (spells only give a flat 50 damage bonus on non-infused weapons, right?), but I imagine that if you are a faith/dex build, infused your Old Whips with lightning and cast Sunlight Blade on it, he'd die even faster.

My character wears the Hunter hat and Saint's robe for the maximum Indiana Jones look (though she's female and Asian so... Indiana Jane :)). Wish I had a capture card to show her off.

Im not mad that i got mollywhopped by an invader with a whip named 'Simon Belmont'. Im mad that im not an invader with a whip named Simon Belmont
Edit: just saw this post, after I wrote my lengthy one about whips. Nice! I love thematic/cosplay characters. Havelyn mages are for scrubs. Style points always win for me. Too bad on PS3 it's the PSN that shows up instead of the character name. When I get the PC version later, I'm totally going crazy with cosplay themes. :D

Also, whips aren't totally bad in PvP. At least with powerstanced Old Whips, which do decent damage. I won a surprising amount of times. They have good range, and somehow hit harder the closer the enemy is. The L1 and L2 attacks are solid. I also have a poison-infused Spotted Whip which poisons in 2-3 hits usually, but if I see them chomping on moss too fast I give that up and just go for straight damage instead.

The hollow? Yes. Kill him or suffer the consequences. Player summoned phantoms don't affect the voice (Grave Warden Agdayne, you can meet him if you keep it dark) though.

Oh, I was wondering about that. What happens if the host attacks the grave wardens around him? Does Agdayne become pissed? I never dared trying, hah. And I like Agdayne (he gives good loot and he's pretty chill) and don't want to piss him off.

aravuus

I take my earlier comment back, Smelter Demon was actually very easy with lightning spears. I did have a tank-ish summon with me though.

I'm also immigrating.

Sad fact: Ashen Knight Boyd is more competent on Bonfire level 3 than any of the people I could summon. Tried 5 times, first 4 times with randoms, then just me and good old damage sponge Boyd.

Freja is so easy that I just fight her alone so I can dish full pyromancy damage.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Also, whips aren't totally bad in PvP. At least with powerstanced Old Whips, which do decent damage. I won a surprising amount of times. They have good range, and somehow hit harder the closer the enemy is. The L1 and L2 attacks are solid. I also have a poison-infused Spotted Whip which poisons in 2-3 hits usually, but if I see them chomping on moss too fast I give that up and just go for straight damage instead.

Simon knew what he was doing. I was surprised at how much damage he was netting from single hits.

Durante

Freja is so easy that I just fight her alone so I can dish full pyromancy damage.
I don't know, on NG++ level I thought it was pretty hard. Much harder of course the times I summoned 2 useless people who died almost immediately and then had to fight alone anyway, just with the boss having much more health :p

And of course, my character build is such that any hit from any of the small spiders basically kills me instantly. Doesn't make it easier.

Sullichin

I don't know, on NG++ level I thought it was pretty hard. Much harder of course the times I summoned 2 useless people who died almost immediately and then had to fight alone anyway, just with the boss having much more health :p

And of course, my character build is such that any hit from any of the small spiders basically kills me instantly. Doesn't make it easier.

Roll around like a madman casting scraps of life.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think I found the fastest way to kill V
endrick
: dual Old Whips (with a buff, preferably). :D

Oh, I was wondering about that. What happens if the host attacks the grave wardens around him? Does Agdayne become pissed? I never dared trying, hah. And I like Agdayne (he gives good loot and he's pretty chill) and don't want to piss him off.
Everyone in that room becomes aggressive.

And very cool whip post. I actually wonder about V
endrick, considering he is a giant hollow, would that spell that supposedly does massive damage to hollows be effect on him?
. I love exploring stuff like this, gives a new life to the game.

I still need to finish my NG+ run then hopefully a quick NG++ just to get to Wellager, grab the PVP spells and earn my Dark Soul!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Infusing multiple Maces would probably be better? Have one for Lighting/Fire and probably Raw? Though I guess a +10 would carry you if you have "infusion" items from stores already.

Anyway, The Gutter. Damn. I thought I was out of the woods (literally) in "so dark/obscured you can barely see shit." Gotta get Cast Light and fall all the way down here (and avoid the stupid fire zombies) again. Oy.

I wish that you could be summoned in the Covenant of Champions. I can understand why they prevent it (another way to increase the difficulty -- can't return human by being summoned). But maybe they could change the mechanics so that being summoned while in the CoC wouldn't return you human or something. I don't care about summoning on my first playthrough (I want to beat everything myself), but being summoned could be fun.

Ah well. I started an alt character a bit ago and have been having a lot of fun doing co-op with her. I'm amazed at how quickly I get summoned in DS2. Almost instantly, depending on the area. (Whereas in DS1 I would have to wait 20 minutes usually, and even then chances are nobody would summon me.)

Mistel

Banned
Anyway, The Gutter. Damn. I thought I was out of the woods (literally) in "so dark/obscured you can barely see shit." Gotta get Cast Light and fall all the way down here (and avoid the stupid fire zombies) again. Oy.
There's a bonfire in the gutter did you not light it?
So is the regular Mace +10 the best for SL1 or is infusing it with anything better?
Try raw with 270 damage and D/E scaling at max or if you've gone a character with faith lightning is 168/168 damage with B/E/B scaling at max. A normal +10 mace is 240 damage with A/E scaling.

Sullichin

I wish that you could be summoned in the Covenant of Champions. I can understand why they prevent it (another way to increase the difficulty -- can't return human by being summoned). But maybe they could change the mechanics so that being summoned while in the CoC wouldn't return you human or something. I don't care about summoning on my first playthrough (I want to beat everything myself), but being summoned could be fun.

Ah well. I started an alt character a bit ago and have been having a lot of fun doing co-op with her. I'm amazed at how quickly I get summoned in DS2. Almost instantly, depending on the area. (Whereas in DS1 I would have to wait 20 minutes usually, and even then chances are nobody would summon me.)

Thankfully you can leave/reenter covenants with no penalty. Kind of a pain to do every time you want to do some coop though.

Thankfully you can leave/reenter covenants with no penalty. Kind of a pain to do every time you want to do some coop though.

Yeah, I've left the CoC a few times here and there to join another covenants temporarily for items or whatever, but like you said it's kind of a pain to do when I just want some co-op. Not a huge deal, since I can just do co-op with my other character when I'm feeling the itch.

Speaking of The Gutter, I think that's the next place I need to go. Which scares me. I stumbled my way down there very early in the game and quickly "Noped" my way out.

I loved the eerie feeling that the giant hole right in the middle of Majula evoked from the second I started the game. It just felt so odd and intriguing, wondering what kind of horrors were lurking at the bottom of that hole.

EDIT:

The gutter is my favorite because it's super duper easy and over in like 5 minutes.

Well, apparently I shouldn't have been afraid then. Heh.

You need to have 96 agility to roll smelter demon. I soloed him, I died so many times enemies in the area stopped spawning. Smelter demon is weak against strike damage.
I used demons great hammer unupgraded, 28strength 2handed, r2+r2 combo did 1200 damage.

The gutter is my favorite because it's super duper easy and over in like 5 minutes.

I got sick of hacking the damn statues and just kept running. Suddenly was at the boss door. Only later did I realize there was offshoots with some good stuff in there, but fuck that place.

and Shrine of Amana.

You can easily kite the spiders by circling Freja. Her body mostly blocks them from reaching you. If they're still giving you grief then just kill the first wave and nuke Freja with fire before she spawns more of them.

This is coming from someone who struggled with NG++ Freja with other players until I ran out of patience and grabbed all the pyromancy spells I can wield and went after her solo.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Farming those Knights in Dragon Shrine is always an adventure when you're rolling power stance dual Bastard Swords. Just need the helm now. I go naked for max quickness but even still, dude with the hammer needs to calm the fuck down!

Last third of this game is god-tier btw. Starting with Shrine of Amana onwards is just so good.

L.O.R.D

PC users , can anyone invade ?
i am able to make duel in the blue covenant
but i am unable to invade anyone , not at the bell tower

aravuus

Maybe there's just very little players on PC right now or something

The wait between my bell invasions is like 10 minutes right now, getting a slight bit annoyed but at least I only have to get just three more chunks for now.

L.O.R.D

The wait between my bell invasions is like 10 minutes right now, getting a slight bit annoyed but at least I only have to get just three more chunks for now.

2 days ago i can invade very fast
now , i can't
also, no one is invading me

maybe there is something wrong today

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Farming those Knights in Dragon Shrine is always an adventure when you're rolling power stance dual Bastard Swords. Just need the helm now. I go naked for max quickness but even still, dude with the hammer needs to calm the fuck down!

Last third of this game is god-tier btw. Starting with Shrine of Amana onwards is just so good.
Yeah those dudes always give me trouble. I still die sometimes on them despite having farmed the whole lot to extinction in my original NG play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's a bonfire in the gutter did you not light it?

Nope. Went the other direction, fell and died.

Navigated my way through with a few torches quickly and a lot of casts. Trial and error (and breaking my armor with acid pots) I got to Black Gulch but missed the boss. How the hell are you supposed to reach the boss in that area? I saw a fog gate before I fell to Black Gluch but couldn't find another.

Oh, nevermind. Rotten is in Black Gulch so I'm heading the right direction. Go figure.

Soulhouf

Once I got Avelyn (and a second one from my friend who wasn't using it) and tried powerstancing them, it was absurd; you shoot 3 times as many bolts per shot, but the reload is way faster? Wot? Go figure.

Avelyn needs something like 5 seconds reload time and twice if you dual wield them.
That thing is broken as it is right now, that's why all the assholes are using it.

So anyway, I kind of struggle for most of the game with that setup but it was pretty fun. The biggest problem was durability; for some reason the Old Whip degrades really fast, not sure if it's a glitch or not, but it was so bad that before I got the Knuckles ring, it wouldn't even last against a full boss fight without becoming at risk. I used a standard Whip+10 in the left hand before I got my second Old Whip, the durability is fine but it's much weaker. Don't ever bother with the Notched Whip. Possibly the worst weapon in the game? Its damage is pitiful, the bleed takes 3-4 hits to proc (on mobs that take like 2 hits from an unupgraded fire longsword -_-), and it cannot be infused. If you want to play with whips (hurr hurr) and can't get lucky with the crows, use the normal whips sold by Gilligan instead. The Old Whip has much better damage (at +2 it outdamaged my +10 whip...) but requires twinkling and has that durability problem. Once you get the knuckles ring+2 it's better though. Also, be a Shade a lot to repair, or bring repair powder.

You can actually buff the notched whip but only with magic, the same as Flamberge for some reason. The only thing in common is that both have the bleed effect.
Other than that I don't think the fact that Old Whip's durability degrades so fast is a glitch. Each weapon has its own degradation speed and I guess to compensate the absurd power of that whip, they made it deteriorates very quickly.

Mistel

Banned
Nope. Went the other direction, fell and died.

Navigated my way through with a few torches quickly and a lot of casts. Trial and error (and breaking my armor with acid pots) I got to Black Gulch but missed the boss. How the hell are you supposed to reach the boss in that area? I saw a fog gate before I fell to Black Gluch but couldn't find another.
The boss of black gulch is really easy to find just literally walk out from the first bonfire and it's right around the corner next to the second one.

Durante

You can easily kite the spiders by circling Freja. Her body mostly blocks them from reaching you. If they're still giving you grief then just kill the first wave and nuke Freja with fire before she spawns more of them.

This is coming from someone who struggled with NG++ Freja with other players until I ran out of patience and grabbed all the pyromancy spells I can wield and went after her solo.
Oh, I already did it, as I said, once I didn't summon anyone other than the NPC Phantom it wasn't so hard.

I just now (well, 5 minutes ago) killed 3 stupid bellbros.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Avelyn needs something like 5 seconds reload time and twice if you dual wield them.
That thing is broken as it is right now, that's why all the assholes are using it.
I agree, that's why I save it for the assholes (or to punish Estus use).

It's fun as hell in PvE though. Machine-gunning the Throne Defender and Watcher was all kinds of LOL. Though I felt kind of sad doing that to the Guardian Dragon. The poor hatchling, locked in a cage like that and I gun it down... :(

Top Bottom