• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterkajo

It works on DS4. (Confirmed using ds4 to Xinput Mapper 1.2.2)

You Sir are my hero. I bought a DS4 and spent the last 2 days to set it up like I had my DS3 with BetterDS3 to work as a Keyboard and Mouse to surf from couch and watch Videos. DS4 to Xinput Mapper 1.2.2 was a breeze but to get Xpadder to work exactly as you want (it can't somehow press ctrl+alt+del to open Task Manager. I guess it has something to do that it uses the OnScreenKeyboard and in Win7 that combo is disabled for whatever dumb microsoft design reason) took ages. Anyway, happy now :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you want to make a melee build, I wouldn't start with the swordsman. It was my starting class and I had to dump too many points into vigor early on. He gets two +1 swords, but those are easy to come by anyway. Plus, he has low adp, which is weird for that class. I'd pick Knight, even when you're going for a dex build. It's one of the all round best starting classes if you're not casting

I'm so sorry...

Why would you be sorry, have you ever actually used a Wii U Pro Controller? It's damn good.

I'll likely be going with my X360 gamepad I use for all my PC gaming needs since I can't be bothered to setup my PS3 controller for PC use. Six days.

masterkajo

If you want to make a melee build, I wouldn't start with the swordsman. It was my starting class and I had to dump too many points into vigor early on. He gets two +1 swords, but those are easy to come by anyway. Plus, he has low adp, which is weird for that class. I'd pick Knight, even when you're going for a dex build. It's one of the all round best starting classes if you're not casting

Hm... I was thinking of going Swordsman for my first playthrough.
I played Wanderer in DS1 with a focus on Katana and eventually the awesome Fire Glove and Dark Hand. She was a pretty lady in a hood that flip flopped around with the Uchigatana and her red and black glowing gloves.

I plan to go Dex Pyro again if that is available/possible (don't tell me, I don't want to know yet). What would you recommand as a starting class for that?

nbthedude

Deprived or bust.

Hm... I was thinking of going Swordsman for my first playthrough.
I played Wanderer in DS1 with a focus on Katana and eventually the awesome Fire Glove and Dark Hand. She was a pretty lady in a hood that flip flopped around with the Uchigatana and her red and black glowing gloves.

I plan to go Dex Pyro again if that is available/possible (don't tell me, I don't want to know yet). What would you recommand as a starting class for that?

Well Swordsman has the highest dex, but low adp and vigor. If you are doing a dex build, I would probably recommend bandit or swordsman, and then just focus on getting adp to 10-15. I have only gotten it to 10 so I'm not too big on that stat.

En-ou

clearly I am the only person on Gaf that has a wired 360 controller just for the PC o_O

nope. love mine. I hate using sony controllers for PC cause the triggers and bumper buttons are reversed and it's annoying swapping them back and forth.

Dex815

I'm going with either Knight or Bandit, I won't be needing Intelligence at all.

True men start as deprived! Do you even praise the sun?

Seriusly everyone should start as deprived, it has a huge advantage in the future of your game.

impact

Banned

Seriusly everyone should start as deprived, it has a huge advantage in the future of your game.

Not really. It's 6 wasted points into each magic slot and real men don't use magic.

Dex815

No it doesn't...?

Yes it does, at least for me.

I put it in spoiler as it could be considered as it if you have not read anything about the game. Is about a new feature and object that are not in the first game.

You can respec your skills points with an object later in the game (I think there are at least 6 of this objects) and if you are going to respec your character probably you are changing from melee to magic, or from STR to AGI, etc.

This respec is in base to your character build, so if for example you start as knight and want to change to a magic build you have a minimun of 11 STR that you cannot go under, instead if you are deprived the minimun is 6

Grief.exe

Thanks for the advice. Starting class out of the way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes it does, at least for me.

I put it in spoiler as it could be considered as it if you have not read anything about the game. Is about a new feature and object that are not in the first game.
I know about that. But as Impact said, for melee builds you're better off with those with less than 6 in attunement, faith or int.

Dr Dogg

I've never put too much stock into my starting class the first time through. I normally have used the first playthrough as a completely mish mashed build but learnt the nuances of what stats do what and how the effect the other gameplay elements. Plus without knowing first hand which equipment and weapons I like, proper stat distribution is always guess work first run without resorting to guides.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
pcgamer said to go for the seed of a tree of giants or the petrified something - is this alright?
Sounds good.
The seed is a very rare item which can be potentially useful against an invader, and the Petrified Something is also fairly rare; you trade it to the crows at the very beginning of the game and you can end up with something really good early on, so it's a nice perk. I picked that on my latest character and got a titanite slab right at the beginning. Not bad. My friend got really lucky; he planned on making a new character, a strength build, and he got a Demon Great Hammer right away.

Grief.exe

I've never put too much stock into my starting class the first time through. I normally have used the first playthrough as a completely mish mashed build but learnt the nuances of what stats do what and how the effect the other gameplay elements. Plus without knowing first hand which equipment and weapons I like, proper stat distribution is always guess work first run without resorting to guides.

Mostly just feelers to see what works. And there is no way to know what stat requirements you will need for weapons you will stumble upon.

Maybe I will do a little bit of Faith or Int to try out some cool spells along with a melee focus.

yatesl

iNBzPwlTR4T9e.PNG

My souls are ready.

yatesl

Mine wouldn't unick the dark soul trophy so I'm stuck at 950/1000

Got the plat on ps3 though

I've spent a solid... 16 hours maybe over the past 2 days (hurrah Easter bank holidays) mopping up and getting the last of the achievements and rare weapons. If it didn't unlock, I'd probably cancel my preorder for the second out of rage!

At least I didn't have to do O+S for the third time (well, fourth, as I co-op'ed someone to help)!

Dr Dogg

Mostly just feelers to see what works. And there is no way to know what stat requirements you will need for weapons you will stumble upon.

Maybe I will do a little bit of Faith or Int to try out some cool spells along with a melee focus.

My first character always ends up a mess, completely unbalanced gear and being frugal with some upgrades whilst overboard on others. Still after 2 games in the series we've got a bit of a head start in to what is what but from my limited knowledge of II there's a whole load more of stat categories now with different properties.

Really can't wait to see what causes my first stupid death!

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-order completed on Steam!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! I need it in my veins!

dreamfall

I hope the GMG keys come through properly.

And I hope there's a Pre-load SOON.

Goodness, we're so ready!

I think I'm going to jump back in Demon's to ease the transition.

I did Pyromancer in Dark Souls 1 and ended up as a Havel's Amor-wearing, Lightning Zweihander-wielding mountain of armor. I did end up using the occasional spell (Iron Flesh, in particular), but I handled most things by blocking hits and then using strong attacks in return.

Trying to decide if I want to play Dark Souls 2 the same, completely disregard spells, or go for something totally different and be a fast-rolling backstabber.

masterkajo

I hope he is kidding. This guys always tweets me horrible opinions though so I wouldn't put it past him.

Ha, don't want to judge too harshly but it seems he did play it "wrong" if he is not kidding. There is no need to grind and storywise there is as much as you allow yourself to take in.

EDIT: But I guess the ;) should indicate he's joking, at least I hope he is.

Some more mechanical information/tips, I haven't played the game, just trying to gather information so I understand the mechanics fully. I don't read area or boss spoilers, just weapons and mechanics so you better understand how to value your stats.

I saw someone mention a dex/pyro build. Pyromancy scales off of faith and int, the higher of the two, so there's no more Soul level one runs with pyromancy.

Dex stat scaling on weapons don't scale at the same rate strength does, you only get like 60-70% the value of strength per point. Assumedly to make up for the bleed and fast swinging dex weapons usually have.

S rank is barely higher then A rank on weapons, unlike Demons' Souls. You should pick your weapon based on how much you like the moveset.

Dark Magic/Pyromancy is now known as Hex magic, scales off the lower of your faith and int.

Elemental damage on weapons scale off either Faith or Int or Both, Lighting scales with faith, Fire with both, Magic with int and Dark with the lower of the two, again.

Weapon upgrades only go up to +10 on normal weapons, you can freely switch the enchantment on the weapon by consuming ores. No long any specific path line.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I can safely declare this Twitter guy to be an idiot. Complaining about a bare-bone story in Dark Souls is like complaining about Gears of War not having enough puzzles, and of course you don't have to grind if you don't want to.

i'm definitely going Int build on PC. went str/dex on PS3 and it worked out okay, but every time i've co-op'd with a magic user, they just destroy any boss in minutes.

masterkajo

Some more mechanical information/tips, I haven't played the game, just trying to gather information so I understand the mechanics fully. I don't read area or boss spoilers, just weapons and mechanics so you better understand how to value your stats.

I didn't read what you posted, because I did my research before playing Dark Souls 1 (how to properly upgrade, how to use spells etc) and to be honest, it kind of wish I didn't. To figure stuff out and go in blind in your first playthrough is what I am doing with this game - as blind as I can go after having mastered Dark Souls 1 :p

RK9039

Yeah, I was just gonna default to knight but then I looked up the stats. Bandit is the best for melee ez.

Yeah I'm planning to go with Strength+Faith, the Bandit has high Dex as well but I think 16/18 is as far as I'm going with that.

Isn't the Deprived really good for Hex builds? I will definitely try that on an alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom