• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
With all this DS4 talk I will probably be the only one using a Wii U Pro Controller, lol.

Nah, I'll be using it as well. Love it for Dark Souls and pretty much any other game I can get it to work with. Plus digital triggers will work better than analog ones in a game like this.

Grief.exe

Ha, don't want to judge too harshly but it seems he did play it "wrong" if he is not kidding. There is no need to grind and storywise there is as much as you allow yourself to take in.

EDIT: But I guess the ;) should indicate he's joking, at least I hope he is.

Confirmed he wasn't kidding. He was grinding to beat the game lol.

He sends me horrible opinions consistently, so not surprising.

impact

Banned
Oh yea guys, without spoiling anything. Don't ignore the other armorsmith/blacksmith guy in Majula. He gets good stuff, you just have to help him get his swagger back.

I only found this out after I beat the game.

JLeack

Banned
I have a feeling you guys are more read up on Dark Souls 2 than I am. I have a question...

What is so good about Human Effigies? I know they allow you to go to 100% health, but what else is beneficial?

The Demon's Souls/Dark Souls formula has undergone quite a few transformations from game to game so I'm always confused.

Oh, and do players invade when you're hallow or human?

aravuus

I have a feeling you guys are more read up on Dark Souls 2 than I am. I have a question...

What is so good about Human Effigies? I know they allow you to go to 100% health, but what else is beneficial?

The Demon's Souls/Dark Souls formula has undergone quite a few transformations from game to game so I'm always confused.

You regain your humanity with the effigies.

Which is basically 100% max HP and the ability to summon other people to help you. You can only be invaded when you're human

e: also you use human effigies to
access an optional boss later in the game, i believe. never went after it myself.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Players can invade you even when you're hollow. There's a higher chance if you're human though. In my experience on ps3, this doesn't happen much. I hardly ever get invaded (with no sin level ofc).

The use of a human effigy is just that: to get your health back, and allow you to summon other players. You can also burn effigies at a bonfire to stop invasions in that area for a certain time.

So USE the effgies if you want to get health, don't burn em! Early on there were people treating these things like DkS humanities, but you have to consume them to become human.

You can only be invaded when you're human

Not true, you can get invaded while hollow as well. You're just higher on the priority list as a human.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

They have three uses (not real spoilers but tagging just in case):
- Use as consumable to
revert to human, which restores your max HP and allows you to summon players for help (you can also revive by completing a coop session as a phantom or a shade)
;
- Burn them at a bonfire, which will
block invasions for that area but also block coop (or restrict them, not sure)
;
- Covenant offering,
there's a PvE covenant sidequest where you need to offer an effigy to access that dungeon (and if you die inside that dungeon you need to re-offer one every time you try). Those dungeons are not trivially easy, so effigies are rather precious for this side-quest.

Both. Invasions are rare in NG though.

aravuus

Players can invade you even when you're hollow. There's a higher chance if you're human though. In my experience on ps3 though, this doesn't happen much. I hardly ever get invaded (with no sin level ofc).

You can get invaded even if hollow? And that's everywhere,
not just bell and rat covenant stuff
? Damn, didn't know that, I haven't been invaded once
outside the two areas I mentioned,
and I've been human practically all the time

Guess it only makes sense since it literally never happens anyway lol. My bad!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You can get invaded even if hollow? And that's everywhere,
not just bell and rat covenant stuff
? Damn, didn't know that, I haven't been invaded once
outside the two areas I mentioned,
and I've been human practically all the time

Guess it only makes sense since it literally never happens anyway lol. My bad!

Yep, the distinction is gone. When this was first announced, a lot of people were panicking about this, thinking they would get invaded constantly, but the exact opposite is true. In NG you will rarely get invaded, even when you're human.

alazz

Does GMG usually send out keys early? I pre-purchased the XCOM expansion from it and there was some major screw up with that for a lot of people so I'm hoping that I just had an atypical experience with XCOM through GMG.

I didn't read what you posted, because I did my research before playing Dark Souls 1 (how to properly upgrade, how to use spells etc) and to be honest, it kind of wish I didn't. To figure stuff out and go in blind in your first playthrough is what I am doing with this game - as blind as I can go after having mastered Dark Souls 1 :p

That's exactly how I feel. I've read some plot spoilers, but I still have huge gaps that I can't wait to fill, and then I really only know what's been advertised with respect to locations, enemies, and weapons. If I hadn't read through a lot of wiki stuff on my first play through of Dark Souls 1 I probably would have given up instead of playing for another 230 hours; but, knowing that I love the hell out of it now, I'd redo it all with zero knowledge if I could. Going in blind is exhilarating -- playing through Metroid Prime blind is possibly my fondest gaming memory.

aravuus

Yep, the distinction is gone. When this was first announced, a lot of people were panicking about this, thinking they would get invaded constantly, but the exact opposite is true. In NG you will rarely get invaded, even when you're human.

I kind of wish I'd get invaded once in a while to be honest.

I'll probably go for NG+ and possibly NG++ on my PC playthrough tho, so I guess I'll be getting what I want then

e: also HOW i wish i could go in blind again

Clott

I am all good to go on the PC front to enjoy the game, except I don't have a dedicated gaming controller for the PC. With the release of the new consoles who holds the crown for best controler?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I kind of wish I'd get invaded once in a while to be honest.

I'll probably go for NG+ and possibly NG++ on my PC playthrough tho, so I guess I'll be getting what I want then

e: also HOW i wish i could go in blind again

You won't, probably. I'm in NG++ on PS3 and I never get invaded. When I want pvp I just do sentinels/bellbro

smashism

I am all good to go on the PC front to enjoy the game, except I don't have a dedicated gaming controller for the PC. With the release of the new consoles who holds the crown for best controler?

This logitech controller has been serving me real well for pc gaming. Wireless, solid build, doesn't burn through batteries. Also can switch between direct input and x input for older games. Been using it for a couple years now. Very happy with it.

GMG is pretty good about key distribution. 4 days is more than enough time for me to preload.

So they have a strict release date? VPN's won't allow me to access it earlier like Arkham Origins?

Grief.exe

Does GMG usually send out keys early? I pre-purchased the XCOM expansion from it and there was some major screw up with that for a lot of people so I'm hoping that I just had an atypical experience with XCOM through GMG.

It really depends on the publisher when GMG gets keys. Varies every time.

360 controller is still the king.

DS3/DS4 have excellent xinout wrapper options. I am contemplating picking up a DS4 abd retiring the 360 controller.

So they have a strict release date? VPN's won't allow me to access it earlier like Arkham Origins?

Depends on if they do regional release or just unlock for the entire world at one time.

So will it be easy to set up PVP sessions with friends in this game?

DaS1 had red soapstone item but you were limited by how much humanity you and your friend have, if your soul levels are 5 numbers close to each other, and if the challenger didn't beat the boss of the area yet.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hey guys, how close to 1080p/60fps will I get with my rig:

i5 2320 @ 3.00ghz
GeForce GT 545
6 gigs ram

I'm definitely turning off camera motion blur and probably AA to squeeze as much as I can. Usually AO is a fps killer for me though, but it looks sooo good in Dark Souls using DSFix that I take the hit and just cap @ 30.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This time I'll make sure not to play it like Dark Souls 1 where I started as a Pyromancer and then accidentally killed the main person who teaches you pyromancy!

I want to double dip but the I don't. Already about 60 hours into my 360 version as a knight. I could roll an alt character as like a Mage or sorcerer.

What's the best deal to get the PC version?

Garcia

Nuuvem Pre-order update:
I sent an email to Nuuvem's staff with 3 of the most asked questions by the community. I just got them answered back:

Q: How does the region lock work? Is it bound to Steam's IP address detection?
A: According to the publisher, Darksouls II will be region locked only for Japan, so if you live in Japan, don't purchase this game because you'll be unable to play.

Q: Is it possible to cancel my pre-order and get a refund?
A: It's possible to ask for a refund at any time before receiving the serial key.

Q: Will you release the game keys before the 25th?
A: It's expected that Preload will start on 23rd April at 00:00 CEST

Regards,
Nuuvem Staff

So, there you go GAF.

JLeack

Banned
Hey guys, how close to 1080p/60fps will I get with my rig:

i5 2320 @ 3.00ghz
GeForce GT 545
6 gigs ram

I'm definitely turning off camera motion blur and probably AA to squeeze as much as I can. Usually AO is a fps killer for me though, but it looks sooo good in Dark Souls using DSFix that I take the hit and just cap @ 30.

Eh... that's a laptop. You may be able to run it on low settings but that puppy is gonna get hot.

MilkBeard

As for invasions, in my playtime I seemed to get them most in Hunstman's Copse. I was also summoned as a Blue Sentinel there as well.

I need to get to NG + so I can engage in that goodness more often.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Eh... that's a laptop. You may be able to run it on low settings but that puppy is gonna get hot.

Well, that's depressing. Hmm. If its better optimized than Dark Souls, which it is, maybe I can squeeze it to 40fps @ 1080p if I tweak AO & shadows. Hopefully. *fingers crossed*

Nuuvem Pre-order update:
I sent an email to Nuuvem's staff with 3 of the most asked questions by the community. I just got it answered back:

So, there you go GAF.

this is fantastic news. Thanks dude!

UrbanRats

Nuuvem Pre-order update:
I sent an email to Nuuvem's staff with 3 of the most asked questions by the community. I just got it answered back:

Q: How does the region lock work? Is it bound to Steam's IP address detection?
A: According to the publisher, Darksouls II will be region locked only for Japan, so if you live in Japan, don't purchase this game because you'll be unable to play.

Q: Is it possible to cancel my pre-order and get a refund?
A: It's possible to ask for a refund at any time before receiving the serial key.

Regards,
Nuuvem Staff

So, there you go GAF.

thank you for this!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
wow, just realized PC version has interface and subtitles support for 10 different languages
KWArqRN.png

Agauos

Neo Member
As a KB/M user, I'm kinda bummed that I'm gonna be looking at controller prompts in the game. It's not a big deal though.

I've not played Dark souls, would you suggest I play the first or do right into the second?
You can just dive right on the second game - specially to fully enjoy the online mode from the get go.

You can always go back to the first game - and I highly suggest you do so eventually.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've not played Dark souls, would you suggest I play the first or do right into the second?

Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time.

It's absolutely worth playing.

If you're on PC, make sure you grab DSFix so you can play with stunning graphics and high framerates.

You can just dive right on the second game - specially to fully enjoy the online mode from the get go.

You can always go back to the first game - and I highly suggest you do so eventually.

Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time.

It's absolutely worth playing.

If you're on PC, make sure you grab DSFix so you can play with stunning graphics and high framerates.

right ok, so you're saying play the first one first then? I hate going in at the wrong one and then not liking ones before because they feel unfinished because you've had better. also i've heard that DS2 just wasn't 'as good' :S

BadTaste

right ok, so you're saying play the first one first then? I hate going in at the wrong one and then not liking ones before because they feel unfinished because you've had better. also i've heard that DS2 just wasn't 'as good' :S

I haven't played a Souls game before and am gonna play DS2 first, just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom