• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
right ok, so you're saying play the first one first then? I hate going in at the wrong one and then not liking ones before because they feel unfinished because you've had better. also i've heard that DS2 just wasn't 'as good' :S

Dark Souls is a really fantastic game. Whether you play the sequel or not, missing it is a big mistake. To be brutally honest, I envy anyone who gets to play it for the first time because I'd give my left testicle to get to do it over again.

I did a soul level one run, friend challenged me no pyromancy. Beat S&O (if you can beat S&O imo, you can beat any boss in the base game) and called it good :p. Its not as hard as it sounds, the only thing that will give you lots of trouble is the expansion bosses.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, I really gotta finish up Dark Souls, I'm at O&S so I gotta do that stuff, and the DLC and then finally beat Gwyn. I hope I can do that in a weeks time, I wanna get in on DS2 while it's hot :). Found a fantastic deal for DS2 on a Swedish shop. 324 SEK for the retail edition. That translates into roughly 35 EUR. Beats the GMG deal by a longshot. For any Swedes who haven't bought it yet, it's Spelbutiken.

I did a soul level one run, friend challenged me no pyromancy. Beat S&O (if you can beat S&O imo, you can beat any boss in the base game) and called it good :p. Its not as hard as it sounds, the only thing that will give you lots of trouble is the expansion bosses.

4 kings is a better test imo, skill beats S&O but if you lack DPS you will never take down the kings.

Dark Souls is a really fantastic game. Whether you play the sequel or not, missing it is a big mistake. To be brutally honest, I envy anyone who gets to play it for the first time because I'd give my left testicle to get to do it over again.

You had me at testicle! I'll go for DS1

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I always had trouble with that asylum demon boss when you go back to the beginning of the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
right ok, so you're saying play the first one first then? I hate going in at the wrong one and then not liking ones before because they feel unfinished because you've had better. also i've heard that DS2 just wasn't 'as good' :S

This is the way I'd put it.

You don't need to play Dark Souls 1 in order to play Dark Souls II.

You should play Dark Souls 1, because it's one of the greatest games I've ever played - regardless of if Dark Souls II ends up being better or worse.

To back up what the other poster said, sacrificing a nut to be able to go into the Souls series fresh again sounds like a really appealing bargain.

You had me at testicle! I'll go for DS1

You lucky bastard =D

Not that hard w/ +10 fire reinforced club and red tearstone ring. I think O&S is harder.

Sure, but that's really my point. The 4 kings is a pure DPS check fight, and understanding how to maximise your DPS without relying on stats is pretty much the key to pulling off the sl1 run. Wolf and the fat man is a skill check fight, so a player with good reflexes should ace it either way.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
also i've heard that DS2 just wasn't 'as good' :S

Opinions vary, some say DeS is the best, some say DaS and some say DaS 2. Regardless which one is the weakest to you, the weakest game of those three is still better than 80% of the current games out there.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Thanks! :)
Here's hoping they transfer some of my Playfire Rewards before then, heh.

NEO0MJ

Sure, but that's really my point. The 4 kings is a pure DPS check fight, and understanding how to maximise your DPS without relying on stats is pretty much the key to pulling off the sl1 run. Wolf and the fat man is a skill check fight, so a player with good reflexes should ace it either way.

What do you mean by DPS? And yeah, the Four Kings were pretty terrifying during later playthroughs. First time I fought them they weren't too difficult but afterwards that changed. It's so easy to lose time fighting them and end up with multiple kings on your ass.

So any consensus on what is best class to start with?

It doesnt really matter at all, but if you want an easy melee start go with Warrior or Knight, invest a bit more in strength and buy a Club or a Mace as soon as you can.

After 2-3 hours the starting class really doesn't matter at all anymore, since you level very fast in the beginning and can put stats wherever you like.

Well, I've sorta been forced to put down DS1 NG+, because the Four Kings are utter bullshit. I mean seriously, for some stupid reason, you can't activate pyromancies or miracles while you're in the Abyss, meaning I can't use Great Magic Barrier or Power Within, which is complete bullshit.

Guess I'll have to wait till DS2, then...

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, I've sorta been forced to put down DS1 NG+, because the Four Kings are utter bullshit. I mean seriously, for some stupid reason, you can't activate pyromancies or miracles while you're in the Abyss, meaning I can't use Great Magic Barrier or Power Within, which is complete bullshit.

I've used Power Within numerous times while being in the Abyss.

daniels

you have to wait until Transient Curse wears off because it counts as a buff ;)

you have to wait until Transient Curse wears off because it counts as a buff ;)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Damn iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I can't believe I didn't realize that. Especially since getting past the ghosts and the darkwraiths are a pain in the ass without it. I have a ghost dagger just in case, but... Argh.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I either going to do a Hajime no Ippo build
uLSNaYA.gif
MZMVmdK.gif

or a Guts build for this PC first run
berserk28.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Damn iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I can't believe I didn't realize that. Especially since getting past the ghosts and the darkwraiths are a pain in the ass without it. I have a ghost dagger just in case, but... Argh.
You can just run past everything if you use the shortcut to the right of the first two ghosts. No need for Transient Curse.

Gbraga

I either going to do a Hajime no Ippo build

or a Guts build for this PC first run

I was ready to do a Guts build on my first run, but dual wielding man... I don't care if DEX sucks in this game, I need it.

Instead of going to new game + though I'll just make a Guts character and then go to NG+ with it.

Dark Souls is so polished and has such a fantastic level design that it's not possible for a sequel to make it dated. I didn't even play Dark Souls II but I don't expect the level design to match the first game at all.

Play whatever you want, just make sure to play them both.

Durante

Dark Souls is so polished and has such a fantastic level design that it's not possible for a sequel to make it dated. I didn't even play Dark Souls II but I don't expect the level design to match the first game at all.

Play whatever you want, just make sure to play them both.
Even in the small part of DS2 I've seen so far, some levels are pretty damn awesome. Some are ... not quite as good. But it's not like DS1 doesn't have its fair share of mediocre levels.

Anyway, I fully agree with your suggestion.

Gbraga

Even in the small part of DS2 I've seen so far, some levels are pretty damn awesome. Some are ... not quite as good. But it's not like DS1 doesn't have its fair share of mediocre levels.

Anyway, I fully agree with your suggestion.

Oh, definitely. Every time I reach Demon Ruins I feel like just giving up and starting a new character. Demon Ruins was actually fun on my first playthrough, but Lost Izalith is just garbage.

Making the DLC post-lordvessel definitely helps to keep the player motivated for the second half. Some amazing boss fights there.

Hypron

Yeah, Artorias is a major pain in the ass to beat at SL1 due to his high defense. I did almost no damage to him even when two handing my weapon. The fight was long and tense but I got him in the end. Manus and Kalameet weren't that bad since they're slower and leave you bigger openings.

DS2 has some really high highs, but there is plenty of Izalith-tier fart party design to go around.

Mmh... I disagree with that. The only area that I'd put on about the same level as lost Izalith is the black gulch. Everything else is better.

Garcia

Some are ... not quite as good. But it's not like DS1 doesn't have its fair share of mediocre levels.

You're being so generous, man. The lowest lows of DS2 are significantly worse than those of DS1 by quite a long margin. It's really weird. By the time you reach
Earthen's Peak
you will understand how truly bad it can get (don't forget to look at the roof and walls
inside the windmill
).

This game is screaming for so many texture packs already.

Got myself a DS4 for DS2 for Friday. There's a noticeable difference between the DS4 and DS3 for DS1 but I can't put my finger on it, but I have a suspicion that it's latency. This is the wrapper that I'm using (it now has DS4 controller support and gives me freaking LED/light bar settings!): http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

That... and the rumble. I also noticed this in Fez, too. Landing on the ground in-game makes a hard rumble for DS3, but a very light movement in DS4. I wouldn't conclude that it's broken because the DS4 rumbles like a champ when you're traversing crumbling platforms, for example. Same goes for Monaco. There's a lighter rumble when you get smacked in the face by a french policeman but there's a heavier rumble when you successfully use a health pack.

Feindflug

Yeah, Artorias is a major pain in the ass to beat at SL1 due to his high defense. I did almost no damage to him even when two handing my weapon. The fight was long and tense but I got him in the end. Manus and Kalameet weren't that bad since they're slower and leave you bigger openings.

Mmh... I disagree with that. The only area that I'd put on about the same level as lost Izalith is the black gulch. Everything else is better.

Even Black Gulch is not as bad as Lost Izalith, it helps that BG is pretty short too with no butt-dragons.

The thing about DSII's level design is that it never matches the pure genius design and complexity of Sen's Fortress or Blighttown for example but overall DSII level design is very consistent quality-wise.

So any consensus on what is best class to start with?

Based on the last two games its usually the magic classes you want to play (in DeS it was royal, in DaS it was pyro). I think playing the highest vit classes (knight in both) is best for new melee players. They usually come with alot of health, stam, and good armor/shield. Strength means nothing besides meeting weapon requirements when you first start out.

I would probably stay away from swordmaster if you're new. Low vit and no shields to start with. Also anything that looks like it has high dex.

Cleric might be good choice as well, now that healing is limited.

edit: I guess knight doesn't start with shield but you can find one quick enough. Traveler might be worth looking into as well, starts with a very expensive item that is used to unlock doors, and also starts with twice as many healing items.

masterkajo

Got myself a DS4 for DS2 for Friday. There's a noticeable difference between the DS4 and DS3 for DS1 but I can't put my finger on it, but I have a suspicion that it's latency. This is the wrapper that I'm using (it now has DS4 controller support and gives me freaking LED/light bar settings!): http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

That... and the rumble. I also noticed this in Fez, too. Landing on the ground in-game makes a hard rumble for DS3, but a very light movement in DS4. I wouldn't conclude that it's broken because the DS4 rumbles like a champ when you're traversing crumbling platforms, for example. Same goes for Monaco. There's a lighter rumble when you get smacked in the face by a french policeman but there's a heavier rumble when you successfully use a health pack.
I am using this one for my DS4: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

It is a modified version of what you are using especially for DS4 which has a lot of options like changing rumble, using Touch Pad etc.

Styles

Pre-ordered! Contemplating on whether to focus on magic or faith this time around. I've had enough of melee on consoles!

Man, I really gotta finish up Dark Souls, I'm at O&S so I gotta do that stuff, and the DLC and then finally beat Gwyn. I hope I can do that in a weeks time, I wanna get in on DS2 while it's hot :). Found a fantastic deal for DS2 on a Swedish shop. 324 SEK for the retail edition. That translates into roughly 35 EUR. Beats the GMG deal by a longshot. For any Swedes who haven't bought it yet, it's Spelbutiken.

I bought two copies from Electroworld when they had* a "50SEK off when buying for 350SEK or more" deal so we got it for 300SEK each. It's 325SEK there usually.

*Deal available until 2014-04-21 kl. 23:59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom