• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm osi

If you summoned two people, and the other jumped down, you can spam magic from there in safety.

yeah i don't know how many times i tanked the sentinels with the redeye ring while casters were all comfy and safe up there. lazy frail magic people, tsk

So I just decided to wander around a bit and ended up discovering and clearing all of
Huntsman's Copse
up to all the (boss) fog doors without dying. I guess I'm a bit over-leveled (30) for this area. I don't want to lose my souls or human form just yet, though, but I'll have to fight a boss eventually...

something feels awfully off with this game. I could beat artorias w/o getting hit in DS1 but can't get the
pursuer
to the half of his health.

It's also the arena in which you're fighting him. For
Pursuer
, you just have a shelf. For Artorias, you have a coliseum. Obviously you can't go back to this, but for NG+, just fight him when he gets dropped off by the eagle the first time. Fighting him there is 500x easier. You only get one shot though, so make it count!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm coming to grips with a lot of the nuance of the stat system, but I still don't understand what the letter grades on weapons mean. Can someone explain that please? Thanks.

cm osi

So I just decided to wander around a bit and ended up discovering and clearing all of
Huntsman's Copse
up to all the (boss) fog doors without dying. I guess I'm a bit over-leveled (30) for this area. I don't want to lose my souls or human form just yet, though, but I'll have to fight a boss eventually...

ring of life protection is your friend

BPoole

Judgely solely by the number of active players playing on Steam right now, I'd say DS2 has sold quite well. There are currently 68k+ people in game. I usually keep tabs on those numbers for other right when they come out, and its pretty rare to even see something break 50k.

Korezo

Is their a mod to increase texture resolution? The games texture look super blurry, I have everything set to max, doesn't look as clean and crystal clear like darksouls 1.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm coming to grips with a lot of the nuance of the stat system, but I still don't understand what the letter grades on weapons mean. Can someone explain that please? Thanks.

It's bonus scaling for the attribute next to the letter. The better the letter, the more bonus damage/defense the weapon gains based on that stat.

So an S-rank bonus in intelligence means the weapon scales like a bat out of hell as you put more points into Int.

I rolled a Cleric in this sucker off the recommendation of someone earlier in the thread.

Hope I made the right decision.

I was leaning towards either that or the Knight,

I'll see how this guy does for me. You can respec in this game, right? Does that include changing your class?

rybrad

Is there a good guide out there for which NPCs to summon at a boss to continue their storylines? I don't want to burn an effigy checking every boss to see if an important NPC is available for summons.
I rolled a Cleric in this sucker off the recommendation of someone earlier in the thread.

I'll see how this guy does for me. You can respec in this game, right? Does that include changing your class?
Yea you can respec which is effectively changing your class. Class really only matters for starting gear and early stats.

Thorgal

Not sure if already posted but Boris ( the creator of ENB) has built a version for DS2

25 april 2014
Published ENBSeries 0.253 beta for Dark Souls 2. Functionality is very limited, but it's based on Skyrim version, so external shaders may work. Do not report any bugs, i saw a lot already, but not sure if will do future updates, will see.

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

georly

Anyone that double dipped console/PC...

Worth it? Should I wait for a sale?

For reference, I had to take a break from PS3, and still haven't beaten it, though i'm about 40 hours in.

cm osi

you can respec from zero so it doesn't matter which class you chosed. Miracles are really powerful in ds2 so cleric is a good choice.

From what I know class is meaningless in Souls games, it only determines your starting stats/equipment.

deeTyrant

Enjoying the PC version a bunch, game runs great on my old ass computer.

Chose Knight this time through and am focusing on Strength/Faith and holy crap the game is so much easier compared to when I played Deprived with a focus on Dex on consoles. Rolling through the bosses and enemies this time around.

Ruin Sentinels were kids stuff this time through

rybrad

For reference, I had to take a break from PS3, and still haven't beaten it, though i'm about 40 hours in.
Absolutely worth it. The massively improved load times (biggest one for me, by far), resolution and framerate make for a much better experience. If you use Durante's mod it is even better.

AkuMifune

Banned
Wait, is this exclusive to the PC version?

Good question. Not sure if it was PSN or Character name on PS3, but I have to assume PSN ID (seems to be confirmed). Maybe they didn't have access to like the Steam API required to use Steam ID so built in Character name for use instead?

I have no idea.

Sullichin

Wait, is this exclusive to the PC version?
Yep.

Is their a mod to increase texture resolution? The games texture look super blurry, I have everything set to max, doesn't look as clean and crystal clear like darksouls 1.
Aside from some faraway badly tiled simple looking textures, they look great and they're generally much sharper than DS.

Is there a good guide out there for which NPCs to summon at a boss to continue their storylines? I don't want to burn an effigy checking every boss to see if an important NPC is available for summons.

Yea you can respec which is effectively changing your class. Class really only matters for starting gear and early stats.
Worth nothing that you can't respec an attribute to lower than what your class started with.

PS3 player here. MUCH better on PC. Waiting for a sale is something you'll have to justify yourself, as there's really no added content in the PC version. Looks better and feels better, though. I'm satisfied.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Here's a question I don't mind getting a spoilerish answer too: I'm looking to trade my dumb priest robes for some kind of thief/assassin/ninja-y armor with high maneuverability ASAP. Where and how should I be looking in the early game for it?

DukeBobby

Does anyone else find themselves overflowing with souls?

I've just finished
The Lost Bastille
and I have 70000. I don't want to level up too quickly (I'm already level 43), and I can't find anything good to spend them on.

Tecl0n

I feel so dumb now, after searching all around the starting area I realized there's a "message" menu and not an orange soapstone...

Grief.exe

2nd boss
Dragonrider
down! I took out the first two bosses in one try! Very proud of myself though I am rusty.

Both were fairly easy though, just came down to patience and knowing when to take your shot.

Judgely solely by the number of active players playing on Steam right now, I'd say DS2 has sold quite well. There are currently 68k+ people in game. I usually keep tabs on those numbers for other right when they come out, and its pretty rare to even see something break 50k.

Yes, it's very interesting to see the reception this game has gotten.

We might hit 75-100k during American peak hours tonight, that would be an achievement!

something feels awfully off with this game. I could beat artorias w/o getting hit in DS1 but can't get the
pursuer
to the half of his health.

Level Adaptability (ADP). No, seriously. ADP (and Attunement, to a lesser degree) give you Agility (AGL). Agility gives you non-scrub i-frames on your rolls. You also have to have low equip weight, but you definitely want high AGL with the low equipment weight if you primarily dodge things instead of blocking them.

Most do at least 20 ADP which gives you like 90 AGL, but I don't trust 90. I do full 38 ADP (which gives you the soft cap of 110 AGL) and roll through things that tag me without it. If you also use spells like most people, you won't need a full 38 ADP to get here because of the Agility gained from your Attunement stat.

Either way, as a melee no shield player I recommend 110 AGL. Always hilarious when you roll through an OP spell/hex and slice up somebody in PvP only to get messages like "wtf hax" or "lol high ADP?" for those in the know.

Tecl0n

2nd boss
Dragonrider
down! I took out the first two bosses in one try! Very proud of myself though I am rusty.

Both were fairly easy though, just came down to patience and knowing when to take your shot.

Yes, it's very interesting to see the reception this game has gotten.

We might hit 75-100k during American peak hours tonight, that would be an achievement!

That could dethrone the valve trinity.

I've just finished
The Lost Bastille
and I have 70000. I don't want to level up too quickly (I'm already level 43), and I can't find anything good to spend them on.
There is absolutely zero reason not to level up early often and endlessly. You're only gimping yourself by not. This isn't d s 1.

OH yeah I should've asked in the previous post:

How precisely do you respec in this game?

Is it something you can do all the time or is it more strictly limited?

I'm curious how the process works.

ElFly

I've just finished
The Lost Bastille

If you go to the depressed merchant in the Majula house and buy stuff, he will eventually start offering boss armor (and be less depressed. He has two more tiers of mood/armor beyond the starting one).

I think you need to "invest" 16000 souls for the first tier.

Adp is a shit stat, just pump up attune net as it will drag your agility up as well. Since avoiding faith and intelligence in this game is silly, and there are no level caps for pvp, attune meant is much better value and will give you plenty of I frames at 30

Sullichin

Like night and day. Will only touch the PS3 version if I'm playing with a friend who doesn't have a gaming PC.

Higher res textures really make certain areas look far better. Constant 60fps is an incredible contrast from the 20-30fps average of the PS3 version. It's not annoying to have to warp back to Majula because the game loads in 2 seconds.

I'm not using Durante's tool or any post processing stuff. It looks and runs great out of the box and i'm totally satisfied. Well, I was using GeDoSaTo to downsample, but it crashes my game when I alt tab / minimize (yes Steam overlay is disabled) so I've disabled it for now.

It's a very good port. I was able to run it at 1080p/maxed settings/60FPS the very first time I launched the game. No tinkering needed, no graphics options that kill my framerate.

Here's a question I don't mind getting a spoilerish answer too: I'm looking to trade my dumb priest robes for some kind of thief/assassin/ninja-y armor with high maneuverability ASAP. Where and how should I be looking in the early game for it?

There is a thief-ish set in
Heide's Tower of Flame
. It's either in one of the chests (by
Dragon Rider
just before
Old Dragonslayer's
boss fog). Either that or it drops in there. I was definitely wearing some light armor w/ my cleric set while fighting them and it was the first place I went.

ElFly

20 ADP is crazy talk.

I just raise it to 13 or something around that and never invest more in it.

Like night and day. Will only touch the PS3 version if I'm playing with a friend who doesn't have a gaming PC.

Higher res textures really make certain areas look far better. Constant 60fps is an incredible contrast from the 20-30fps average of the PS3 version. It's not annoying to have to warp back to Majula because the game loads in 2 seconds.

It's crazy how the better texture/resolution help the game. I used to think that the forest part in forest of the giants was butt ugly, but on PC it is actually passable.

OH yeah I should've asked in the previous post:

How precisely do you respec in this game?

Is it something you can do all the time or is it more strictly limited?

I'm curious how the process works.

I would say roughly five times per playthrough, not counting ascetics.

To actually respec, think about who already helped you become your character.

There is absolutely zero reason not to level up early often and endlessly. You're only gimping yourself by not. This isn't d s 1.
I've always felt like leveling up too much makes the Souls games a bit too easy. Granted, I'm already level 30 in DSII a few hours in (which is 5 levels higher than I ever went in DSI), so I'm sure it will be different for me this time, but I'm still wary of significantly reducing the difficulty through brute force.

I've always felt like leveling up too much makes the Souls games a bit too easy. Granted, I'm already level 30 in DSII a few hours in (which is 5 levels higher than I ever went in DSI), so I'm sure it will be different for me this time, but I'm still wary of significantly reducing the difficulty through brute force.

DS2 is MUCH more dependent on weapons than DS1 was. By the time I finished DS2, I had 40 Dex, 40 Str, fast roll, high equip load, all that. I think I was level 169 or something. Using my dex weapons (katanas w/ S scaling), I was still doing less damage than any of my friends using STR weapons. Seriously. Uchigatana +10 deals less damage than it did in DS1 by a mile. I was basically gimping myself by using it.

Then enjoy being weak when pvp happens. Bc pvp is all soul memory based so really the best pvpers will always be the ones who spend the most souls on leveling in ds2. Buying all the equipment and shit will set you back vs your peers every time you do it tbqh.

If your concern is being too powerful in pve just use less powerful, shitty weapons.

20 ADP is crazy talk.

I just raise it to 13 or something around that and never invest more in it.

I take it you use a shield for most things.

Anyone who relies on a roll to avoid damage wants high AGL. It's proven to make your dodges better in conjunction with low equip weight. Low weight alone isn't enough for a lot of enemy attacks and you get tagged on the late frames of your roll, while the enemy attack still has active frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom