• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audette

Considering it hard... so... how is the PC port of number 2? better than the first I gather, but are the requirements high? one person was talking about chugging in certain places curious how it runs for people. Am I going to be able to achieve silky smooth gameplay with a gtx 680 and 1080p?

Edit:
Let me start by saying that the game runs flawlesly, even with my 6 year old PC. Fantastic in that regard, but there are a few problems with the controls and graphical settings.

That's encouraging!

But what does Durantes Tool do then though!? That is the way I downsampled before...

Durante's tool is adding that resolution to the game's list of resolutions. It's just doing so in a different way than your graphics card control panel does.

You still need to pick the desired resolution in the game.

Grief.exe

Considering it hard... so... how is the PC port of number 2? better than the first I gather, but are the requirements high? one person was talking about chugging in certain places curious how it runs for people. Am I going to be able to achieve silky smooth gameplay with a gtx 680 and 1080p?

I'm getting some slowdowns in the river in Forest of the Giants and near the giant hole in Majula, otherwise the port has been perfect.

It's obvious that the port is very well done and optimized, Durante said that the CPU is doing much more work with less performance impact this time around.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wait, what? so why am I wasting all this money getting weapons fixed? Fuck. I just used them until they broke because I figured it was like the first game.

If you let the durability drain all the way you have to get a blacksmith to fix it, but as long as there is any durability left, a bonfire will do it.

nbthedude

Edit:

That's encouraging!

No question. 680 will max this game's in game settings. You may even want to consider playing with Durante's downscaling mod.

2AdEPT

Guys, I don't know if you are aware but there goddamn new DARK SOULS AREAS in this Dark Souls game.

That is like the best thing in the history of videogames right there.

yep, that alone has made this experience the best in the series, simply because I was waiting the longest for it. The reality is that there are things that this iteration did right and kicks ass on all other iterations, but several things that suck...and there are going to be small disappointments as well.

Overall? the new areas trump all....awesome feeling!

Audette

I'm getting some slowdowns in the river in Forest of the Giants and near the giant hole in Majula, otherwise the port has been perfect.

It's obvious that the port is very well done and optimized, Durante said that the CPU is doing much more work with less performance impact this time around.

is my first gen i5 going to be a problem then?

Garcia

So I was playing for about 2 hours... until my came and got me saying I was playing for the past 7 hours. Holy Shit even after beating the PS3 version I can't put this down as it's like a completely different experience.

Same feels over here. It's like night and day.

nbthedude

If you let the durability drain all the way you have to get a blacksmith to fix it, but as long as there is any durability left, a bonfire will do it.

So if I stop using it when it says 'at risk" then it will replentish at bondfire?

Damn I just wasted SO MANY SOULS because of this.

And I'm a deprived so I need all I can get. Just now crawling out of the Deprived hole you start in.

alazz

I haven't seen a single summon sign yet. :( I'm not usually in human form, but I was when I had hung around the
Pursuer's
door for a while--like a good ten minutes--and didn't see a single one. I was human in Flame Tower for a while too and didn't see a thing either, except for the Rogue's.

But I was able to beat
Old Dragonslayer
Dragon Knight (or whatever)
and
Flexile Sentry
in one life! Felt really goddamn great.

nbthedude

No i5s are still really good. And I believe Grief is using Durante's mod for downsampling stuff. If you are just running it out of box (which has a healthy set of options as it is) you're fine. People are playing it fine on laptops with several year old moble cards w/o trouble.

Mkilbride

Banned
Not liking it at all so far.

DmS & Dark Souls, hundreds of hours.

This? A fewh ours in. I get ghost hit by enemies attacking the opposite direction with spears, but their attack hits me 3 feet away in the OPPOSITE direction(NPCs, not players.)

Constant ambushes, enemies attacking super fast / in succession. Lack of souls, lack of good items that drop.

This one is so much harder than the previous entries into the series, what the hell happened? They said this one would be more welcoming to new players, yet it's the hardest in the series due to clunky mechanics?

WHere is the smoothness of combat we had? Gone.

Audette

No i5s are still really good. And I believe Grief is using Durante's mod for downsampling stuff. If you are just running it out of box (which has a healthy set of options as it is) you're fine. People are playing it fine on laptops with several year old moble cards w/o trouble.

Wonderful to read! Just probing to see if they are pushing games towards those GPUs with insane video memory yet

Grief.exe

You mean like a 760? Are you kidding, those processors are still beast.

I'm running it on a OC'd 2500k, of course that processor will probably go down as one of the best all day in terms of price/performance/longevity.

Frodo

Very mild game mechanics spoilers:
There's 2 soapstones. The large one summons you until you clear the boss, and gives you a token of fidelity, or later on a different covenant item if you've joined it. The small one summons you as a shade with a short time limit, and you only have to clear a few enemies. The reward for a shade is spells and estus refilled, as well as reviving to human.

If your weapon is at risk, it also restores it. Basically, it is just like using a bonfire without having the enemies to respawn if you fulfill your duty. Can be very useful.

nbthedude

I take it that regular downscaling methods don't work then? (adding custom resolutions to my nvidia panel?)

No they do. But Durante's tool is easier and has some other bells and whistles. It has an automatically built in custom profile for Dark Souls 2. You simply extract it, right click the .exe. and run as administrator and "Activate White List." Dark Souls 2's exe is already linked to it.

The only downside to it is that you do have to disable Steam overlay or you'll get weird graphical glitch when someone sends you a message or you bring up the overlay.

But again, Durante's mod is definitely not required. The game has a very good set of options on it's own. THat's only if you want to push it even further. IT's stunning looking, in my opinion. Absolutely loving this game.

Thrakier

Durante's tool is adding that resolution to the game's list of resolutions. It's just doing so in a different way than your graphics card control panel does.

You still need to pick the desired resolution in the game.

I see, so it does nothing for me I guess. Already had the res there.

Hagi

Was excited to finally play the PC version after slumming it with the PS3 copy only to be met with a white screen and crash on start up, not sure what i was expecting to be honest. From everyone's impressions and the screens I've seen it looks ace as well.

tumblr_mqwprpwvBY1qelwalo1_500.jpg

MutFox

Banned
How are mouse and keyboard controls in DS 2?

Awesome, well sorta...

Took a bit to get the binds the way I wanted for quick access.
There's commands I can do while running around, that wouldn't be as easy with a pad.

Still, the game shows the pad commands on screen for everything,
so you'd have to memorize your binds, as the game won't help you there.
(Pretty lazy on their part)

Mkilbride

Banned
K+M controls have input delay on attack & block, so unplayable at current.

I tried KB+M for an hour or so, and everytime I clicked to bring up the shield or attack there would a noticable 0.2s delay. With my controller, wireless no less, that delay is gone and everything is much more fluid.

Sullichin

Also, for anyone struggling with gear getting broken fast. Put down your sign, if you furfill your duty, gear will be repaired spells and estus refilled.

Also, strike weapons are very good in this game. If you don't feel like using one as your main weapon, it's still a good idea to pick up the morning star or a cheap mace/club as a backup if your weapon breaks. They'll do good damage early game even unupgraded, have good durability and are great for staggering enemies.

MutFox

Banned
K+M controls have input delay on attack & block, so unplayable at current.

I didn't notice any delay and I've tried both KB/M and Controller.
KB/M is fine, but you def have to change the binds, as the default ones are terrible.

There would be a delay for strong attacks, cause the default is a double click,
but changing the bind fixes that. ;P

Grief.exe

Was excited to finally play the PC version after slumming it with the PS3 copy only to be met with a white screen and crash on start up, not sure what i was expecting to be honest. From everyone's impressions and the screens I've seen it looks ace as well.

tumblr_mqwprpwvBY1qelwalo1_500.jpg

Try updating Windows Media Player and setting your scaling to GPU over display in drivers.

Also make sure all injectors are turned off. Fraps, Afterburner, Steam overlay, etc.

Mkilbride

Banned
No, for me there is a delay with KB+M. It's slow. I click block and it takes time to bring it up. With my controller, there is none.

cm osi

And the Japanese people who didn't think PC gaming was worth investing in...

it's not like every game is dark souls...

I'm getting constantly invaded right now. Why do people do this? It's such a prick thing to do.

you get invaded more if you committed sins too

also i don't get why you guys say ds2 is harder, some stage were indeed harder
no man wharf and sanctuary of amana
but the bosses were all easier

I thought I heard adaptability was a crap stat like resistance in DS1. Is that not true?

Yes

adaptability raises a stat called agility. Not only will this allow you to drink estus faster, but it will also add i frames to your rolls, increase the speed of parrying, and reduce the time it takes to raise the sheild.

By level 20, you'll be doing a lot of actions faster than you did in the first.

Gvaz

Banned
Try updating Windows Media Player and setting your scaling to GPU over display in drivers.

Also make sure all injectors are turned off. Fraps, Afterburner, Steam overlay, etc.
Frags and playfire works fine for me with hdmi. I had to go to my 39 inch tv though because letterboxing on a 24 inch monitor was shit.

Mkilbride

Banned
Belfry Luna.

I mean, I am literally having two people invade me every time I step foot inside.

This is awful.

This is PC. lol, thisi s what people complained about in the first, it's funny.

DKS1: "Not enough invaders, co-op/ summon, ect"

DKS2 "SO MANY INVADERS, SO MANY SUMMON SIGNS!"

From must be scratching their head :p

Sullichin

Belfry Luna.

I mean, I am literally having two people invade me every time I step foot inside.

This is awful.

That makes sense. That's the whole point of the
Belfry areas
. That's basically a dedicated PVP zone
with an optional boss

I'm sad most of the PVP in NG is jailed off into the covenant stuff :(

For those of you looking for borderless windowed mode in Dark Souls 2, here is a solution!

Thanks to RadTT on the Steam Forums for finding this simple fix.

There's a config file ("userconfig.properties" open it in notepad) in the Dark Souls 2 folder that seems to only contain the position of the game window. So if you put the game in windowed mode and then put negative values in that config file, the window will shift up and to the left, essentially giving you a borderless window.

The values I used were App.Window.X = -5 and App.Window.Y = -28
Much thanks for posting this.

Belfry Luna.

This is awful.

It's bad in the Belfry's, no doubt. You'll get through them, I just...wouldn't come in there with a full wallet, if you know what I mean.

Edit: Oh dammit. Just got the heads up that I might have to go and be social tonight. Sister in law's place, and her husband WILL be playing DS2 tonight, because I bought it for him as a B-Day present. If I've gotta sit by and watch someone else play...

This is PC. lol, thisi s what people complained about in the first, it's funny.

DKS1: "Not enough invaders, co-op/ summon, ect"

DKS2 "SO MANY INVADERS, SO MANY SUMMON SIGNS!"

From must be scratching their head :p

Invasions are unbalanced though, outside of a few small covenant specific areas where it's non-stop invasions, there's barely any invading at all in every other area of the game in NG. I'd prefer moderate invasions throughout instead of the non-stop pain train of the Bellfry and Rat areas and then nothing at all everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom