• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

This thread is moving way too fast. :( also all these item stats...how am I supposed to know what is what!? There is no explanation provided.

Press Select (not sure what the keyboard control is) to go into a mode that lets you hover over the symbols and see what they mean.

loving it so far. i have a question though. i'm the sorcerer class and i found this fire sword in the land of giants (there is a dragon or something spitting fire in the cave and you have to go in the door to the left where there is a chest). anyways is this sword worth leveling up a bit in strength and dex? i'm a few levels short in both to be able to use it. i've been using a dagger as my left hand weapon and its working ok but it takes like 6 or 7 hits to kill some of these losers.

also is it normal for enemies to eventually disappear completely after you go to a bonfire? at the beginning of the forest giants level they stopped spawning after i had to go through it a few times. not sure if that was a glitch or if its a new feature in the game

georly

Absolutely worth it. The massively improved load times (biggest one for me, by far), resolution and framerate make for a much better experience. If you use Durante's mod it is even better.

PS3 player here. MUCH better on PC. Waiting for a sale is something you'll have to justify yourself, as there's really no added content in the PC version. Looks better and feels better, though. I'm satisfied.

Like night and day. Will only touch the PS3 version if I'm playing with a friend who doesn't have a gaming PC.

Higher res textures really make certain areas look far better. Constant 60fps is an incredible contrast from the 20-30fps average of the PS3 version. It's not annoying to have to warp back to Majula because the game loads in 2 seconds.

I'm not using Durante's tool or any post processing stuff. It looks and runs great out of the box and i'm totally satisfied. Well, I was using GeDoSaTo to downsample, but it crashes my game when I alt tab / minimize (yes Steam overlay is disabled) so I've disabled it for now.

It's a very good port. I was able to run it at 1080p/maxed settings/60FPS the very first time I launched the game. No tinkering needed, no graphics options that kill my framerate.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely pushing me towards double dipping now. I know I will eventually, I just don't know if it'll be tonight or if it'll be when it's on sale!

Grrr. I'll think about it some more while i'm stuck at work (staring at my ps3 limited edition statue, lol)

Drop your summon sign outside her door and help someone else. You'll restore your humanity when you defeat her and return to your world.

I haven't played in well over a month, did they make that a real thing now? You always get humanity back after helping? On ps3 it hardly ever worked.

yatesl

I decided to splash some cash at the shop (as I'm currently level 45 already, and only just beat the
Three Sentinels
) and, well... Girls, check out my dope helmet.

ibk0Nc5phbNhsT.jpg

i0t4vJUpyuVjq.jpg

Soktos

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (this thread moves way too fast), but I know several people had questions about HDMI to your TV. I have been doing it since release with no issues at all...

But I run the game windowed and basically drag the screen over to my 3rd monitor, which is my TV. Works great for me, even though you have to deal with the blue bars on the screen... but couch wins every time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I love how stupid you can get with the new message system. 'Give it up but Don't give up' is one of my favourite dumb ones. My cash cows are 'hurray for something!' and 'Try rolling then guts!'. 'Be wary of bleeding but hole ahead' was funny for five immature minutes before deletion.

IndustryX

Hey DarkSoulsGAF,

Really interested in this game, played a bit of Dark Souls on PS3 once it became a greatest hit, beat the first boss, felt like a stud and then couldn't figure out where to go and just set aside the game, and never got back to it.

My question is would this game be worth it? Any tips for a noob player to get started? What class to use, tips/tricks etc?

Are you guys playing co-op? I just beat
The Pursuer
and
Three Sentinals
, but both times I was with 2 other people. The first one took 10 seconds, as I'd already co-oped that boss before my go so I knew the trick.

It's a lot stress free, and also fun... but I feel like I'm cheating.

Also, whycantiholdallthesesouls.jpeg

I am. It's fun so I'm gunna keep doing it.

impact

Banned
The Pursuer
and
Three Sentinals
, but both times I was with 2 other people. The first one took 10 seconds, as I'd already co-oped that boss before my go so I knew the trick.

having help really ruins (hehe) the threat of the
sentinels.

bad boy

I'm helping a lot of people though. My character name is my GAF name, hope I can help some GAF bros

Lynq

Banned
I'm so happy I haven't watch any gameplay video or video review and haven't read threads about DS2 after console debut. It's so awesome now, I'm exploring new world...

Before starting DS1 I made a mistake of doing a research.

Arkanius

Are there an optimal stats like in DS1 where for example, Endurance started to fall of after a certain level? I want to know when top stop investing in VIT or VGR

What's a good value for adaptability? I don't understand what it's even doing.

Just reached the
Lost Bastille from No Man's Wharf
, there's no delaying the inevitable now, time to man up and face the
Sentinels
again.

loving it so far. i have a question though. i'm the sorcerer class and i found this fire sword in the land of giants (there is a dragon or something spitting fire in the cave and you have to go in the door to the left where there is a chest). anyways is this sword worth leveling up a bit in strength and dex? i'm a few levels short in both to be able to use it. i've been using a dagger as my left hand weapon and its working ok but it takes like 6 or 7 hits to kill some of these losers.

also is it normal for enemies to eventually disappear completely after you go to a bonfire? at the beginning of the forest giants level they stopped spawning after i had to go through it a few times. not sure if that was a glitch or if its a new feature in the game

That sword isn't a long-term solution for you (although some people use it for a while), but the few points you'll need in strength and dex to use it wouldn't be wasted -- there are lots of good general use items (armor and bows, for example) that want a bit of strength or dexterity. I don't feel comfortable giving an up or down recommendation, though.

Unlike in previous games, enemies in Dark Souls 2 respawn a limited number of times. If you've killed an enemy fifteen times (killed, mind you, not just avoided and then rested at a bonfire), then it will not respawn unless you use a bonfire ascetic.

yatesl

Is the Wharf optional? I only know of it from this topic, but I've never stepped there I don't think? And I'm at Bastille.

Zeliard

What's a good value for adaptability? I don't understand what it's even doing.

ADP matters insofar as the Agility stat, which Attunement also raises, albeit at a slower rate.

You ideally want to get Agility to around 95-100, using a combination of those two previous stats depending on whether or not you'll be using Magic.

Makes roll-dodging feel a lot nicer since it adds i-frames. Rolling into an attack that was previously hitting you no longer does. It also increases the speed of your estus chug and lifegem usage a bit.

Is the Wharf optional? I only know of it from this topic, but I've never stepped there I don't think? And I'm at Bastille.
You get there from
Heide's Tower
, and all I got from the place (other than a nice
equipment load increasing
ring) was another entry point to the
Bastille
, so I'd guess so.

ADP matters insofar as the Agility stat, which Attunement also raises, albeit at a slower rate.

You ideally want to get Agility to around 95-100, using a combination of those two previous stats depending on whether or not you'll be using Magic.

Makes roll-dodging feel a lot nicer since it adds i-frames. Rolling into an attack that was previously hitting you no longer does. It also increases the speed of your estus chug and lifegem usage a bit.
Seems a bit unnecessary to have a stat for that? It worked just fine in Dark Souls 1. Oh well, I guess I'll sink a few more points into adp, my agility is at 90 now, and it does feel a bit sluggish compared to DS1.

Sober

Wouldn't that mean you need like somewhere between 10-12 ADP then?

I put a few points into it and I felt like it made a huge difference. Or placebo. Well, I started off as a Deprived so it's my fault.

That sword isn't a long-term solution for you (although some people use it for a while), but the few points you'll need in strength and dex to use it wouldn't be wasted -- there are lots of good general use items (armor and bows, for example) that want a bit of strength or dexterity. I don't feel comfortable giving an up or down recommendation, though.

Unlike in previous games, enemies in Dark Souls 2 respawn a limited number of times. If you've killed an enemy fifteen times (killed, mind you, not just avoided and then rested at a bonfire), then it will not respawn unless you use a bonfire ascetic.

i think i'll put the souls into getting dex/str up to use it for a bit. thanks for the tips brotha!

npa189

The Pursuer
keeps beating my ass into the ground, its getting old. I feel like I'm not fast enough. I have a Mace + 3 and I feel like it dispatches foes pretty quick, but the standard mobs are much nastier than DS1. Also is there a curse like effect on HP when hollow now? my bar slows gets caped at 1/2 when I'm hollow, also annoying.

I made some great progress today after getting in a slump last night, I have beaten 4 of the bosses so far and I'm at soul level 44 with a dope as fuck upgraded Mace.

Cerity

No man's wharf is a nightmare for sorc's, lock-on range is so limited in that first part. Luckily we have some form of aiming now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
friend of mine just told me he had to stop playing the game because of mouse click delays. Known issue, and if so, fixable? (he doesnt have any controllers)

edit: looking at the cesspool that are the steam forums, I did find people complain about mouse click delay, so I guess its a known issue. well that sucks

Teknoman

The Pursuer
and
Three Sentinals

Co-op survival is the best thing about Souls.

EDIT: I'm thinking about trying to make a Paladinish character with Knight as a base. But...I want to use curved swords. So hopefully there are a decent amount / cool looking curved blades.

Are there an optimal stats like in DS1 where for example, Endurance started to fall of after a certain level? I want to know when top stop investing in VIT or VGR

There are soft caps again, yes. I can't remember them all of the top of my head. VGR growth slows slightly after 20 points but is still valuable until 50, I think. END slows at 20, and after that it's up to you to figure out how many attacks you want to be able to get in before recovering. I'm not sure about VIT.

Anything I should be putting points into for a Knight besides, strength, vitality and endurance?

You'll want some points in adaptability. Otherwise it depends on what weapons and armor you want to use. Remember that starting classes are really just starting points in Souls games because every class can do everything. The more important question is whether you intend to go pure physical or mix in some magic.

Having a rough time against
Scorpioness Najka
, but it looks like I blew my only chance to get an AI summon to help :(

Trying to avoid getting assistance from other players so I'm in a real pickle here.

don't lock on. it's a great way to get caught by her
tail attacks

when she goes
underground, stand on the little bit of stone ruins on the ground. she won't surface there and you can take a minute to heal and watch where she goes. when she summons her orbs, back off and wait for them to fire and roll-dodge out of the way.
it's possible to
knock her tails off,
but that can actually make the fight harder since most of your attack opportunities will be
after her tail attacks.
if you're mostly melee, it can be a bit of a long fight. just be patient and wait for your opportunities to strike.

Man, this game is so good. Just spent the last hour helping people with the first boss. Up to a level 44 Cleric strength/faith build. I wish I liked the maces more, just crazy small range even for a mace it seems sometimes.

I do agree though about the mobs. Didn't really play Demon Souls, but I'm having more trouble with the DS2 mobs than I did the DS1 ones.

fade_

The Pursuer
keeps beating my ass into the ground, its getting old. I feel like I'm not fast enough. I have a Mace + 3 and I feel like it dispatches foes pretty quick, but the standard mobs are much nastier than DS1. Also is there a curse like effect on HP when hollow now? my bar slows gets caped at 1/2 when I'm hollow, also annoying.

Try going the other way through Majula to Heide's Tower of FLame and lvl up if you havent already. The binding ring is there which helps with your health while hollow as well.

Thrakier

Hey DarkSoulsGAF,

Really interested in this game, played a bit of Dark Souls on PS3 once it became a greatest hit, beat the first boss, felt like a stud and then couldn't figure out where to go and just set aside the game, and never got back to it.

My question is would this game be worth it? Any tips for a noob player to get started? What class to use, tips/tricks etc?

Not if you didn't finish DS1.

Tecl0n

So i got the white soap and in five mins got summoned twice boss fights for a boss i've yet to encounter (probably the first). So smoooth.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
don't lock on. it's a great way to get caught by her
tail attacks

when she goes
underground, stand on the little bit of stone ruins on the ground. she won't surface there and you can take a minute to heal and watch where she goes. when she summons her orbs, back off and wait for them to fire and roll-dodge out of the way.
it's possible to
knock her tails off,
but that can actually make the fight harder since most of your attack opportunities will be
after her tail attacks.
if you're mostly melee, it can be a bit of a long fight. just be patient and wait for your opportunities to strike.

Cool, thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, I tend to be pretty bad at boss fights that require lots of patience (Artorias!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom