• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Just a heads-up.

Boris at ENBSeries (skyrim ENB fame) has put up a Dark Souls ENB .dll which crashes on my 64bit OS and only seems to work under windows XP.

If you're a member of his forum, please go and give some support for DS2 otherwise it's looking like it won't be continued.

This is probably the best chance we have of getting Dark Souls 2 lighting back to close to the pre-release footage.

Good lord, the guy is an asshole.

AlterOdin

Is anybody else feeling the lighting on characters/enemy is a little of? While traversing a "pitch" black (using GeDoSaTo) enviorment in the first area (tree foggates), I can see the enemy bright as day, as they seem to not get lighted by their surroundings. While moving the camera seems to flicker from flat (none) to environment lighting.

Example:

Enemy seen clear as day in a dark environment.

comp1hek2w.png

While moving the camera in a relative high speed it "seem" to get the "correct" lighting, ie not seen it the darkness. (Although we see two headstones not seen before)

comp244jol.png

Kinda "annoying". Was wondering if anybody else was experiencing this? Seems like the angle of the scene has something to do with it????

Edit: Or maybe LOD just removing the model entirely when moving the camera "fast"?

Nibel

Played a small chunk of the game

This must be one of the better ports in the past decade - runs so smooth which is weird getting used to after playing Demon's Souls on PS3 the last month

So far so good - will play with some settings later

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Fuck whoever created the Bell Covenant.

Fuck all you guys who joined it.

FUCK the bonfire in Iron Keep forcing you to go through the Sol Belfry every time to progress through a bunch of horse shit.

And FUCK THE FINAL BOSS OF IRON KEEP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think
No Man's Wharf
is the way to go, it's an optional area that will only get you back to the Bastille, but you can get some loot and level up a bit. It's not a cakewalk though, be wary of ugly thingies lurking in the dark.

edit: I assume you've already been to Heide's Tower, but if you haven't, well that's actually the way to go.

havent been to the Tower no. I just explored a bit in forrest of giants castle now using the soldiers key you get there to open all the doors, whats up with
the door that leads to a zone with a BUNCH of those fat armored guys, I killed all of them, found another bonfire but it seems like a dead end?

ElFly

FUCK the bonfire in Iron Keep forcing you to go through the Sol Belfry every time to progress through a bunch of horse shit.

Um you skipped a boss and bonfire if you are going from Belfry Sol through Iron Keep.

But hahaha yeah, no fuckers ring the bell on my watch!

Three sentinels
giving me a bit of trouble.

Put down your summon sign and learn how to defeat them.

Then when you are human again, go to one of the cells before the boss and summon Bellclaire. That NPC is useful in that fight. Summon a human too if possible. Done.

havent been to the Tower no. I just explored a bit in forrest of giants castle now using the soldiers key you get there to open all the doors, whats up with
the door that leads to a zone with a BUNCH of those fat armored guys, I killed all of them, found another bonfire but it seems like a dead end?

It's bullshit, isn't it? I got kicked around for an hour there for apparently nothing.

The_Monk

I was to curious and wanted to go just a little further, then a little more, a little more and while I knew I had items to pick here and there I saw a
Ship arriving
and entered it and now I'm lost and I want to go back and get those items. ;_; Lol.

Bucca

Um you skipped a boss and bonfire if you are going from Belfry Sol through Iron Keep.

Then when you are human again, go to one of the cells before the boss and summon Bellclaire. That NPC is useful in that fight. Summon a human too if possible. Done.

I don't believe I am.

Last boss I fought was
Smelter Asshole Demon.

Levyne

Banned

Haha, thanks. I'm learning the shortcut jump right now.

Do you have to find the item to write summon signs?

sixghost

Alright, I'm in need of a bit of help regarding the second boss.

Pursuer. I've figured out that the trick is to parry him. The first time he charges I can parry pretty reliably, but after the stun wears off he beats me to a pulp. I try to parry his swings and it feels like I press the button at the right time and he just ignores it and kills me. I've done about 30 tries on him now trying out different timings, but I just can't do it. It's a shame since I feel like I've figured out how to beat him, but the game is too unreliable with it's hit detection that it doesn't let me kill him. It really put a sour note on a so far really good game :(

Also, what stats should I invest in? I've primarily put my points into strenght so far since the club scales with str so good. But what should I level up for more survivability?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Another question - are all the items for invading or joining another players game one time uses or can I use them as many times as I want? Wondering since there's a "1" by the icon.
Stand in front of one of the ballistas, parry the charging uppercut, run around and fire the ballista. He should be at like 5% health after the first ballista shot
Jezz, what is up with the parry timing.

It's hardly worth parrying with anything other than one of the offhand items that gives you extra parry frames like the buckler, target shield, etc.

Durante wasn't kidding that this is a great port. 3200x1800, smooth as hell on my GTX 680. Having a lot of fun with the game so far, so glad I skipped the console version. Playing this on my TV just feels right.

Gbraga

Durante wasn't kidding that this is a great port. 3200x1800, smooth as hell on my GTX 680. Having a lot of fun with the game so far, so glad I skipped the console version. Playing this on my TV just feels right.

Yup, I was expecting 1440p or 1620p at best, but 1800p at 60fps? That's DmC levels of awesome, but on a much more complex game.

Bucca

Fuck the fucking Turtle enemies.

Oh my FUCKING god they are the most annoying assholes to fight in small corridor areas.

Yup, I was expecting 1440p or 1620p at best, but 1800p at 60fps? That's DmC levels of awesome, but on a much more complex game.

Especially when compared to DS1 performance which still dropped frames (below 60) easily in some areas, even with monster hardware and mild downsampling. To be fair, they never designed it for 60fps. Proper optimization goes a long way and it shows that some devs are not even trying on PC. (Ubisoft...)

Praise the sun! Thank you FROM.

sublimit

Banned
I just saw an attempt of someone trying to play this game with a keyboard and a mouse and the guy really flipped out lol. I've been following this guy's videos for years and he is an extremely polite and laid back guy. But this was the first time he sounded really mad. It seems judging by his video that the game is fundamentally broken for traditional PC gamers.Sure you can plug a controller but i don't think that's an excuse since someone should have the option to choose which type of control he/she prefers.I don't agree with all his criticisms but it seems that most of them are valid which also makes me wonder why every PC reviewer gave the game near perfect scores.
Anyway this is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNsxd1Hv6M

It makes me wonder why FS even bothers with the PC porting themselves and not just give the games to a more experienced (in PC games) studio to do the ports.

IndustryX

Yeah, the best advice would be to go back to Dark Souls really:) Some people maintain that DS2 might actually be easier, but, from what I've played so far, I do think a newcomer would have a harder time with DS2 compared to DaS. Mostly because of common grunts being tougher.

I actually had a similar experience with Dark Souls, started out not knowing anything about it, struggled for hours, beat the gargoyles, had no idea where to go next, kept dying against the Hydra in Darkroot Basin and finally quit, still having no idea that upgrading weapons would have been a pretty good idea and that what I thought was damage reduction for shields was actually the damage they inflict. After a while I came back, this time with directions: knowing where you're supposed to go, the pain of death actually became tolerable. By the time I reached Sen's Fortress, I was confident I could face anything in my way and clear the game. I did and loved every minute of it. So yeah, my advice is: go play Dark Souls 1 (make sure you know the basics of equipment upgrading and weapon scaling) and then be ready for the sequel. It'll be cheaper at that point too!

The game is beautifully optimized really, it might not be a technical marvel, but it runs great on all kinds of rigs. Which is pleasantly suprising, since the first game was a mess on pc.

Going to give DS1 another try this time on PC :) Thanks for the tips.

Arkanius

Just successfully defeated my first victim.
That will teach him to carry around the Blue Sentinels ring.

(I failed the first 4 due the Blue Sentinels)

Grief.exe

'Transient being, you would never make a Knight of the Blue.'

Transient: lasting only for a short time; impermanent.

hhhmmm my first guess was I had to be in human form, second guess was I have to abandon my current Covenant.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's bullshit, isn't it? I got kicked around for an hour there for apparently nothing.

yeah. well, at least I found out to get to the other side of the gate there at the dead end via
the rooftops where the snipers were. I also met Cale the cartographer who gave me the key to that Majula house. Man I love the design of the levels in these games.

I think ive pretty much explored everything in Forrest of Giants really, didnt find any way to that Tower you guys were talking about :(

Kashin

Neo Member
I just can't play this game until the HUD is improved for keyboard users.
The keybinding menu does not even explain what all these Xbox controller icons are supposed to correspond to.
As someone who's never liked the Xbox controllers, this unfortunately makes the game unplayable to me.

zma1013

Eh? You don't have to go through there. Both areas are optional.

Also, what stats should I invest in? I've primarily put my points into strenght so far since the club scales with str so good. But what should I level up for more survivability?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Another question - are all the items for invading or joining another players game one time uses or can I use them as many times as I want? Wondering since there's a "1" by the icon.

Quoting myself for new page. Would really appreciate it.

Cerity

I love looking at the death stats for this game, when I loaded it up yesterday about 1/2hr after release, there were about 35k deaths worldwide, when I left there were about 70k. When I got back there were 2.5M and now There are 6.4M~.

zma1013

I just can't play this game until the HUD is improved for keyboard users.
The keybinding menu does not even explain what all these Xbox controller icons are supposed to correspond to.
As someone who's never liked the Xbox controllers, this unfortunately makes the game unplayable to me.

I dunno, I feel like playing this game without a controller would probably be like playing a Mario game without a controller, it just wouldn't play right. As for the HUD/keyboard issues, maybe some modders will fix it up.

LiK

I love looking at the death stats for this game, when I loaded it up yesterday about 1/2hr after release, there were about 35k deaths worldwide, when I left there were about 70k. When I got back there were 2.5M and now There are 6.4M~.

already? i think it was only 435k+ this morning

Wanny

Personally I think that the game isn't looking that hot. I replayed Demon's Souls recently and while it was not the most fine looking game, it had atmosphere as fuck.

Still a great game tho!

sixghost

Quoting myself for new page. Would really appreciate it.

Vigor is always good. You can never go wrong with more HP.

Endurance is also excellent regardless of whether you are mainly blocking or dodging for defense. More stamina means more attacking, blocking, or dodging without taking time to recover.

ADP is 100% essential if you are dodging often. If you are trying to dodge through attacks at ADP lower than 10, you are going to get hit a vast majority of the time unless your timing is perfect. ADP scales horribly until 8 or 9, then pretty well after.

Strength helps with heavier armor that scales based on strength. This increases the defense of the armor, but having more health or just avoiding the attack all together is always better in these games.

There is almost no reason not to level vigor and endurance up to 20. They scale amazingly well up to that point, then start to scale worse from 20-40. 1 point in vigor before 20 gives you something like 40 hp. 1 point in END before 20 gives you 2 stamina. VIG, END, and ADP are the 3 most important stats in the game if you are a melee heavy character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom