• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was playing alongside a friend, but we soon weren't able to summon each other because of the soul memory limits. We were both about level 17 or so.

We then both equipped the ring that makes summoning easier, and enjoyed another battle together, yay!.....

So not long after that, my friend is waiting for me in the next area.. he gets invaded, and after a long battle, kills him.. The invader drops 500,000 souls..

So thanks to soul memory, even if my friend died and spent none of those souls, losing them all, we can never play together again, as far as I can tell. Not until I get another 500,000 souls or so. Psh. This sucks and I'm not sure how to deal with it other than him starting over.

xBladeM6x

I've been trying to get the HBAO+ to work in game, but it doesn't seem to be turning on. I'm not using GeDoSaTo when I try, and if I turn the game's AO on and off it doesn't matter. Someone help? D:

Elixist

This is the first Souls game I've played on PC, it is just far far too smooth.
I need a 15fps cap. Not even kidding.

if your not joking i think Durantes geodosato thing has a triple v sync option which may give u a 30 fps lock? take this with a grain of salt i am a dumbass.

Binoculars. You can find them
as you get out of the things betwixt on the way to the majula, there's a little cliff you can drop off and there's a few items you can get.

Thanks, I found the binocs already but I had no idea they could be used for longer range spell casting.

rybrad

The Pursuer
keeps beating my ass into the ground, its getting old. I feel like I'm not fast enough. I have a Mace + 3 and I feel like it dispatches foes pretty quick, but the standard mobs are much nastier than DS1. Also is there a curse like effect on HP when hollow now? my bar slows gets caped at 1/2 when I'm hollow, also annoying.
For the boss, I would recommend doing it naked and just two-handing your weapon. Speed makes a big difference for the fight and with low weight I find the fight pretty easy. I beat it this playthrough with an un-upgraded Mace so you should be set for a weapon.

For the missing HP, you are correct. There is a ring you can get easily to cut the amount in half.

PvE90zF.jpg
clearer than console

Look what FedEx finally delivered!

(Ignore the penny and the stains on the carpet.)

The statue looks and feels cheap. Pretty meh about that. I don't plan on looking at the map until I play the game. Likewise with the artbook. The Black Armor case is AWESOME.

I ultimately wouldn't recommend the CE for anyone, unless you were really into that statue (and it's really not worth it). But I got it for $45 with some gift certificates I've had lying around, so it was worth it for me.

(Now to excercise self control and finish some homework before playing.)

Zemm

The first area (forest of giants?) plus boss look like shit. Reminds me of lost izalith, although not as bad as that nor as annoying.

IndustryX

Anyway I can get find the game for cheaper then $50? Is it stable enough to buy now?

Here's my specs

Lenovo Y580
1080P Display
GTX 660M 2GB
i7 3630
8GB RAM

Hey DarkSoulsGAF,

Really interested in this game, played a bit of Dark Souls on PS3 once it became a greatest hit, beat the first boss, felt like a stud and then couldn't figure out where to go and just set aside the game, and never got back to it.

My question is would this game be worth it? Any tips for a noob player to get started? What class to use, tips/tricks etc?

Not if you didn't finish DS1.

Yeah, the best advice would be to go back to Dark Souls really:) Some people maintain that DS2 might actually be easier, but, from what I've played so far, I do think a newcomer would have a harder time with DS2 compared to DaS. Mostly because of common grunts being tougher.

I actually had a similar experience with Dark Souls, started out not knowing anything about it, struggled for hours, beat the gargoyles, had no idea where to go next, kept dying against the Hydra in Darkroot Basin and finally quit, still having no idea that upgrading weapons would have been a pretty good idea and that what I thought was damage reduction for shields was actually the damage they inflict. After a while I came back, this time with directions: knowing where you're supposed to go, the pain of death actually became tolerable. By the time I reached Sen's Fortress, I was confident I could face anything in my way and clear the game. I did and loved every minute of it. So yeah, my advice is: go play Dark Souls 1 (make sure you know the basics of equipment upgrading and weapon scaling) and then be ready for the sequel. It'll be cheaper at that point too!

Anyway I can get find the game for cheaper then $50? Is it stable enough to buy now?

Here's my specs

Lenovo Y580
1080P Display
GTX 660M 2GB
i7 3630
8GB RAM
The game is beautifully optimized really, it might not be a technical marvel, but it runs great on all kinds of rigs. Which is pleasantly suprising, since the first game was a mess on pc.

Thrakier

So are you guys playing as human or as hollow most of the tine. 50 % less health is huge but I'm dying all the time so I feel like I'm wasting these human thingys.

So are you guys playing as human or as hollow most of the tine. 50 % less health is huge but I'm dying all the time so I feel like I'm wasting these human thingys.
Me, I'm playing hollow all the time, never used a effigy so far. There's a ring you can get early on in the game that rises your minimum health to 75%, it's in
Heide's Tower, in a chest just before the Old Dragonslayer boss

npa189

Try going the other way through Majula to Heide's Tower of FLame and lvl up if you havent already. The binding ring is there which helps with your health while hollow as well.

I had to go tag team on his ass, bitching out of the covenant of champs helped too. Off to the tower of flame now.

Ilive1up

what with enemies tracking you hard when you try to roll around them?

it's like they are on a pole and have full 360 motion when attacking.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
question about the "correct" way to go
I killed pursuer and the bird took me to the bastille, is that the best place to go next or should I try somewhere else? Im SL 35 atm

AkuMifune

Banned

Don't waste the effigies. They can be tough to come by and you might need to summon help for a boss that you're having trouble with.

There's an item you can get that will help, similar to DeS. The
Ring of Binding is in the Cathedral just after (before?) a boss in Heide's Tower

Edit: Beaten like Crestfallen Saulden

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why not? Is the first a must play to be able to understand or what?

No, but if you haven't played the last one, why not play that and see if you really like Souls games? If you're willing to look things up in a guide, what's stopping you from going back to DS1 and figuring out where you should go?

wickfut

Banned
Just a heads-up.

Boris at ENBSeries (skyrim ENB fame) has put up a Dark Souls ENB .dll which crashes on my 64bit OS and only seems to work under windows XP.

If you're a member of his forum, please go and give some support for DS2 otherwise it's looking like it won't be continued.

This is probably the best chance we have of getting Dark Souls 2 lighting back to close to the pre-release footage.

question about the "correct" way to go
I killed pursuer and the bird took me to the bastille, is that the best place to go next or should I try somewhere else? Im SL 35 atm

You can do a bit of exploring in that area now, but the path of least resistance will take you elsewhere.

Just a heads-up.

Boris at ENBSeries (skyrim ENB fame) has put up a Dark Souls ENB .dll which crashes on my 64bit OS and only seems to work under windows XP.

If you're a member of his forum, please go and give some support for DS2 otherwise it's looking like it won't be continued.

This is probably the best chance we have of getting Dark Souls 2 lighting back to close to the pre-release footage.

Hot damn, everyone go now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can do a bit of exploring in that area now, but the path of least resistance will take you elsewhere.

so...where exactly, I dont care about area spoilers (although others might so still tag it), hence why I was asking :D

There are soft caps again, yes. I can't remember them all of the top of my head. VGR growth slows slightly after 20 points but is still valuable until 50, I think. END slows at 20, and after that it's up to you to figure out how many attacks you want to be able to get in before recovering. I'm not sure about VIT.

You'll want some points in adaptability. Otherwise it depends on what weapons and armor you want to use. Remember that starting classes are really just starting points in Souls games because every class can do everything. The more important question is whether you intend to go pure physical or mix in some magic.

Oh that's good, I took a chance and already put some points into ADP, but I plan on going physical 100% on this character.

Grief.exe

Just a heads-up.

Durante and ENB working on this release? Going to be amazing.

J4g3r

Having played a ton on console, I sped through the game in 5 hours and made a SL135 build.

Loving the PC version so far, though I've came across quite a few modders in the BoB arena.

One guy was swinging a Zweihander as fast as a dagger...

EDIT:

A friend uploaded his experience with a "speed hacker" on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgxWFKskGSk

so...where exactly, I dont care about area spoilers (although others might so still tag it), hence why I was asking :D
I think
No Man's Wharf
is the way to go, it's an optional area that will only get you back to the Bastille, but you can get some loot and level up a bit. It's not a cakewalk though, be wary of ugly thingies lurking in the dark.

edit: I assume you've already been to Heide's Tower, but if you haven't, well that's actually the way to go.

Alright, I'm in need of a bit of help regarding the second boss.

Pursuer. I've figured out that the trick is to parry him. The first time he charges I can parry pretty reliably, but after the stun wears off he beats me to a pulp. I try to parry his swings and it feels like I press the button at the right time and he just ignores it and kills me. I've done about 30 tries on him now trying out different timings, but I just can't do it. It's a shame since I feel like I've figured out how to beat him, but the game is too unreliable with it's hit detection that it doesn't let me kill him. It really put a sour note on a so far really good game :(

Also, what stats should I invest in? I've primarily put my points into strenght so far since the club scales with str so good. But what should I level up for more survivability?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Another question - are all the items for invading or joining another players game one time uses or can I use them as many times as I want? Wondering since there's a "1" by the icon.

Conezays

Didn't think I would but already put in a few hours into this since my PS3 run. Great game, made even better on PC. Can't complain. :) It's interesting just how much faster/easier these games become on your 2nd runthrough.

Conezays

Pursuer. I've figured out that the trick is to parry him. The first time he charges I can parry pretty reliably, but after the stun wears off he beats me to a pulp. I try to parry his swings and it feels like I press the button at the right time and he just ignores it and kills me. I've done about 30 tries on him now trying out different timings, but I just can't do it. It's a shame since I feel like I've figured out how to beat him, but the game is too unreliable with it's hit detection that it doesn't let me kill him. It really put a sour note on a so far really good game :(

Also, what stats should I invest in? I've primarily put my points into strenght so far since the club scales with str so good. But what should I level up for more survivability?

EDIT: Oh yeah. Another question - are all the items for invading or joining another players game one time uses or can I use them as many times as I want? Wondering since there's a "1" by the icon.

If you can pull it off, using the
ballista kills him in two hits and is mega satisfying.

Shahadan

Just lost my first 10k souls ever because I rolled by accident and fell to my death, not only in front of my last corpse, but I learned later that it was in front of a bonfire behind a door I had dimissed just seconds before T_T

...I'm in !

The trick is to
use the ballistas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom