• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about petrification statues: Is the item to break it one time use? I found the item and used it on a sorcerer in lost bastille >.> Now I don't know what to do about the other statue near the dwarf with a blue sword.

They're single use, but you can find enough of them. Just keep going.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Backstab damage from daggers... is it dependent on the attack power of the dagger?

Is there a dagger that has a special effect, making it much stronger with backstabs?

Vuze

Is there a way to disable mouse input (or atleast mouse camera movement) for the game? I want to use the in-game ENB editor overlay but it's next to impossible to work with it since the game uses my inputs to control (yeah, open menus don't help).

Booshka

Nashandra
was a real pushover. Wtf?

If you want a challenge out of a boss, try out the
Dark Covenant, the boss of that covenant is very challenging, especially for melee.

There are some other optional fights that offer some more challenge, but ya, that fight was disappointing.

The game is great so far but clearly not on the same level as Dark Souls which is an (expected) shame.

I've just got to the Wharf area and I'm killing the enemies in two hits. Where's the challenge?

I'm not trying to act pro because parts of DeS and DS destroyed me. So far this game is a breeze...

That could still totally break your game though. When helping against (boss spoilers)
Guardian Dragon or OIK or even the final bosses
for example my miracle/hexer makes the fight already last no longer than 30 seconds. A NG+++ character could totally take those boss experiences away from you completely.

Well, ok, a happy medium then... soul memory has no impact on co-op when wearing the Name Engraved ring, that way you can still group with your friends who play less when you need to.. that's my only real concern with soul memory at any rate.

I got the game Thursday night and so far have 17 hours into it... I'm sure there are people on here with more, but that's still a much more sizeable commitment than most of my friends can make (pffff... those "normal, well-adjusted people"!). Of course all that did was make me play more, since now I have one guy hanging around The Last Giant waiting for my friends to log back in, and a (newer) guy who is 1/3 the way through the game :D

Well, ok, a happy medium then... soul memory has no impact on co-op when wearing the Name Engraved ring, that way you can still group with your friends who play less when you need to.. that's my only real concern with soul memory at any rate.

I got the game Thursday night and so far have 17 hours into it... I'm sure there are people on here with more, but that's still a much more sizeable commitment than most of my friends can make (pffff... those "normal, well-adjusted people"!). Of course all that did was make me play more, since now I have one guy hanging around The Last Giant waiting for my friends to log back in, and a (newer) guy who is 1/3 the way through the game :D

Easier solution: Just show the soul memory of the guy you're about to summon. So everybody can decide for themeselves if they want to break their game.

didamangi

Finally killed
the giant rat king
in Doors of Pharros after 4-5 tries :(

Reminds me of the Capra Demon boss in DS,
if you don't kill the rats fast enough
you'll be dead in no time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to go there, unless you are finding the next boss in bastille toooo hard.

From the bonfire before Belfry, don't go downstairs, just look for a door that's not the one you came in from the boss room.

That boss room has some secret walls, so go back and push the interact button on them.

Managed to get to the Belfry boss (lolwtf) and still have a few options left, I guess. Still searching one key for the Bastille tho, and the "lose health with every death" mechanic is kinda annoying, since you now -have- to use effegies instead of being able to practise a bit while being hollow in DS1. Really not a fan of that and only 8 or so effegies left :(

Just explored the entirety of Lost Bastille. I can see why people complain about
the sentinels because one of them is hard enough at the top, and dropping down isn't much of an option with two of them waiting downstairs.
What a bullshit battle. But I summoned two guys to help. Gais. Gais. I shit you not. I don't think I have ever had as much fun with a co-op battle as I did with this. As I finally have long range spells, I was a huge help. Which would make sense since I was the main guy haha. But seriously, I don't think I have ever clicked with two guys so much before. They got all the aggro as I attacked from far away, and when I ran out I joined them. We freaking whooped ass.

Then I went o the optional boss fight. Yes.
The Gargoyles
. Seriously fuck that covenant guarding that area. Jesus fucking christ what pricks. Like if it wasn't hard enough trying to get to the fight with life. It was worst when I only wanted to run to the bridge and put my summon name, but then I got invaded literally a second after entering the bridge. Fucking bullshit fuck you covenant.

But bringing in one more guy to help, we whooped ass. So as a thank you to the community with helping me with both boss fights since let's face it
it involved multiple enemies at the same time and that's bullshit
I helped out 4-5 guys with their run in the area. Also got more souls to level up, so it's a win-win.

So now I have unlocked two bonfires/areas
Belfry Luna and Sinner's Rise
. Which one should I attempt next? I hear doing the former will make the latter easier, but I don't know how.

Managed to get to the Belfry boss (lolwtf) and still have a few options left, I guess. Still searching one key for the Bastille tho, and the "lose health with every death" mechanic is kinda annoying, since you now -have- to use effegies instead of being able to practise a bit while being hollow in DS1. Really not a fan of that and only 8 or so effegies left :(

There are two ways to mitigate that:

1) Get the
Binding Ring from Cathedral of Blue, it will limit you to 75% of your total HP when human, instead of 50%.
It's still a penalty but it makes a world of difference.

2) Just drop the
small soapstone sign, spend 5 mins (or a boss kill) and you will return to full health, human, with your gear repaired and your estus restocked

Honestly, thanks to #2, I've not used a single effigy so far at all, and I've died a lot ;)

The game is great so far but clearly not on the same level as Dark Souls which is an (expected) shame.

I've just got to the Wharf area and I'm killing the enemies in two hits. Where's the challenge?

I'm not trying to act pro because parts of DeS and DS destroyed me. So far this game is a breeze...

Man, I see things like this and I feel like we're playing a different game. Maybe it's because I don't really play much these days but I played through quite a bit of Dark Souls and I don't remember it being this difficult at the beginning.

I'm finding it difficult to level because the enemies are so dangerous that lack of concentration for a moment gets you immediately killed.

Has anyone else run into some problems connecting with people today? I just tried laying down a summon sign in front of the lift to get to the boss Forest of the Fallen Giants and the first time I did it I was resting at the bonfire nearby when I got the summoned message, my char got up and then the game crashed. After restarting I tried it again only for Steam to say I got disconnected as soon as I enter the boos room. What's going? Is it something big or just isolated incidents?

I should mention that I have no trouble being summoned before tonight and that I've beaten bosses while summoned before with no problems.

EDIT: I should mention that I am using GeDoSaTo, could that be an issue? Although idk why it would affect online.

Has anyone else run into some problems connecting with people today? I just tried laying down a summon sign in front of the lift to get to the boss Forest of the Fallen Giants and the first time I did it I was resting at the bonfire nearby when I got the summoned message, my char got up and then the game crashed. After restarting I tried it again only for Steam to say I got disconnected as soon as I enter the boos room. What's going? Is it something big or just isolated incidents?

I should mention that I have no trouble being summoned before tonight and that I've beaten bosses while summoned before with no problems.

I've actually never been able to be summoned without inevitably disconnecting, or invade somebody else, even though I've been invaded plenty of times and can summon people easily. Just can't figure it out.

I've actually never been able to be summoned without inevitably disconnecting, or invade somebody else, even though I've been invaded plenty of times and can summon people easily. Just can't figure it out.

That sucks man, maybe it has to do with your NAT settings? You might need to forward some ports.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Asking one more time

Backstab damage from daggers... is it dependent on the attack power of the dagger?

Is there a dagger that has a special effect, making it much stronger with backstabs?

Vuze

So, I'm also having trouble with the knights (no problem if they are solo, but two at once like in the first hall... ugh) in Heide's flame tower. I followed the advice by Oracle Dragon and bought the mace which seems more effective against them, however I also think it's time to upgrade my armor as I haven't done that before and I don't want to use yet another human effigy before I meet the next boss.

Is it worth upgrading the equipment I found/got at the beginning or should I hold off?

Infantry Helm
Falconer Armor
Old Ironclad Gauntlets
Falconer Boots

I had an easy time with the wharf outside of the darkness et motherfuckers when their programming decided to ignore the fucking torch I had in my hand and they went crazy attacking me. But the boss in the area was a joke. Keep playing though, literally next area after this has 2 hard boss fights.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well I was going to explore no man's warth next but may skip that one :/

i loved it. and people actually skip zones in dark souls games? wtf

anyway,
smelter demon
is destroying me, and im not sure what exaclty I can do. I lose life when I hit him, im no a very good dodger and while blocking, I still lose life... and to top it off, I summoned someone and he didnt go in the room with me, so I wasted a effigy, great

HeelPower

EDIT 3: Oh, there is a shortcut.I just found it. That changes things somewhat.

yeah there is a shortcut.Also use a pharros stone there!
Also don't forget to use the pharros stone to light the area.It makes the black enemies go indoors.It basically clears the way from extremely powerful enemies.Navigation becomes that much easier.

Asking one more time

I think backstab damage is a hidden stat on each weapon. Some are stronger than others.

Jintor

Can you sneak up on crystal lizards? This asshole in the iron keep is giving me the shits! No matter what I do I can't catch the fucker!

Any reason to infuse a +10 Bastard Sword for a strength build? Doesn't really seem so...

Just keep it at +10 and use resins if you want some extra/elemental damage. Infusing splits your damage into two so you have to deal with two types of resistances, which can sometimes lower overall damage output.

Can you sneak up on crystal lizards? This asshole in the iron keep is giving me the shits! No matter what I do I can't catch the fucker!

Yes you can, but only from its back. If he can see you it's not easy. You have to use ranged attacks for some of them.

Well I was going to explore no man's warth next but may skip that one :/

It's definitely skippable but isn't the point of this game to challenge yourself? Skipping an area because it isn't necessary defeats one of the main missions of the game. While annoying due to only one shortcut, it isn't an extremely long area.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so... anyone wants to pop a summon sign in front of
Smelter Demon
? Im starting to have O&S flashbacks :/

Also i might exaust enemy respawns for the first time in the game, thats how many times im dying and running back to the boss :(

AHA-Lambda

I've been rocking a heide sword +4 so far, am I best just investing further in this or is there something better I should be maining?

I have got a drangleic sword I can't use yet.

Smelter Demon

Also i might exaust enemy respawns for the first time in the game, thats how many times im dying and running back to the boss :(

My policy is to help people with bosses that I had help with. By the time I eventually get there you'll be long gone, but I'll definitely give assistance to whoever needs it.

I've been rocking a heide sword +4 so far, am I best just investing further in this or is there something better I should be maining?

That's what I was investing on at first, and that's how far I got it. If you're doing a strength/faith build it's best to just focus on the mace at this point as the heide sword will be replaced later on, while the mace becomes beastly apparently when you give it an element later on.

R1CHO

So, I'm also having trouble with the knights (no problem if they are solo, but two at once like in the first hall... ugh) in Heide's flame tower. I followed the advice by Oracle Dragon and bought the mace which seems more effective against them, however I also think it's time to upgrade my armor as I haven't done that before and I don't want to use yet another human effigy before I meet the next boss.

Is it worth upgrading the equipment I found/got at the beginning or should I hold off?

Infantry Helm
Falconer Armor
Old Ironclad Gauntlets
Falconer Boots

Probably not worth, not s great idea to upgrade armor so early.

If you have a lot of problems in one area, you can always run mate, no shame, just advance without fighting those two guys.

Infantry Helm
Falconer Armor
Old Ironclad Gauntlets
Falconer Boots

I had issues with that area at first, if you haven't go to
Forest of the Giants first. Mace definitely helps, but having better armor you can find in Forest of the Giants makes Heide's tower so much easier. That combined with mace or Heide's sword,
plus leveling up your char will do a world of difference.

In short, you can find better armor, you can farm souls on the giants and get better stats, and then that area is a breeze.

A tip in fighting the giant knights:
the ones with the shield and sword are the easiest. Just circle around them counterclockwise (aka towards their shield) as their swing makes it nearly impossible to hit you. On the third swing attack once or twice, then walk away and repeat. For the long sword ones, the trick is to wait for their sideways swing as that's the one that takes them the longest to recover from. When the other two shield guys run towards you after killing this one, run away so they run back. The trick is to fight them one by one

bigol

Man, I see things like this and I feel like we're playing a different game. Maybe it's because I don't really play much these days but I played through quite a bit of Dark Souls and I don't remember it being this difficult at the beginning.

I'm finding it difficult to level because the enemies are so dangerous that lack of concentration for a moment gets you immediately killed.

Completely agree
I played 300-400 hours with Ds Prepare to die, but the beginning of the game is more difficult,enemies are much more aggressive, they follow you in group, never did that in ds1

AHA-Lambda

That's what I was investing on at first, and that's how far I got it. If you're doing a strength/faith build it's best to just focus on the mace at this point as the heide sword will be replaced later on, while the mace becomes beastly apparently when you give it an element later on.

Any particular mace or a standard one ok?

elfinke

Smelter Demon

I'm there dropping a few now, while I have a break from rats... Lol

Also, what's with the phantom (boss name)
Pursuer
appearing in the smelter room? Fuck that guy.

NEO0MJ

I was building a dex build but I feel that I wasted a lot on strength. Is 25 strength too high? I plan mostly on using Halberds and spears.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just keep it at +10 and use resins if you want some extra/elemental damage. Infusing splits your damage into two so you have to deal with two types of resistances, which can sometimes lower overall damage output.

Ah I see, thanks.

Harder than Allant (lol) or Gwyn

I dunno, Gwyn at least kept me on my toes.
Here all I had to do was circle strafe to avoid all of her attacks and walk outside of the "curse circle" every so often.

spirity

Infantry Helm
Falconer Armor
Old Ironclad Gauntlets
Falconer Boots

For the two that come together,
pull them back to the stairs at the start. Stand on those stairs. One will peel away first, so re-engage the other one at the open area next to the bonfire.

Also, re: equipment,
you are close to getting a new set of armor in the next area after the boss. It will tip you just over 70% if you equip it all.

anyway,
smelter demon
is destroying me, and im not sure what exaclty I can do. I lose life when I hit him, im no a very good dodger and while blocking, I still lose life... and to top it off, I summoned someone and he didnt go in the room with me, so I wasted a effigy, great

You can get the NPC summon to help with that, she has a lot of health and/or takes very little damage, so she's a good distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom