• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

Pretty much a newbie to the series and enjoying my time with DS2. My one complaint though is that I don't understand the purpose of losing max health every time you die. Does this system exist just to piss people off?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can get the NPC summon to help with that, she has a lot of health and/or takes very little damage, so she's a good distraction.

finally did it with a dude helping, not even ashamed, fuck that boss!

Also, I found my blck knight armor in this game, and its the Alonne Captain armor, so sexy. The gloves and legs refuse to drop tho

Im thinking about dropping some points into DEX, it seems a lot of weapons need between 16-20 dex to use, even if they are STR scaling. my STR is already 40 so its either get more dex so i have some weapon versatility, or go back to pumping up end/vit/vig. thoughts?

Kalnos

Banned
Pretty much a newbie to the series and enjoying my time with DS2. My one complaint though is that I don't understand the purpose of losing max health every time you die. Does this system exist just to piss people off?

It's supposed to be a risk reward thing. If you're human then you have full hp and can summon people to help you but also run a higher chance of being invaded by other players.

sprinkles

While I really love the weapon animations and the playstyle while Dual Wielding, I had to switch to a Large Club +3 for the
Gargoyle Fight
and have stuck around with that since. It just was to hard to deal any meaningful damage to bosses with your max 2 swings until rolling back out. Well it does not hurt that the heavy attack of the Large Club knocks down pretty much every enemy it hits.

Will there be better Dual Wielding weapons later on (I am at the
Charriot
now) because I really want to switch back some time? Or maybe some hints how I could play differently while Dual Wielding? I wore Leather Armor and was under 50% equip load and relied pretty much on rolling as a defense.

Levyne

Banned
Just now learning that I completely missed an area.
Belfry Luna
. Gonna have to go back and see if I can find it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Couldn't get through the Pursuer fight (kept making stupid mistakes, suck at rolling and i'm way too tired) so I summoned some help. Boss went down in two minutes. :p
I've played both Dark and Demon's Souls, but this is the first time I really make use of the online-functionality. The community seems pretty cool.

You can get a 100% block shield...
right after the Pursuer fight
FINALLY!

Is it just me or is leveling waaay faster then before? Already level 42 after two bosses.
The weight limit seems way more forgiving as well. Still got the mid-roll at 65%.
iwRF5HmLjBOJi.png

Hypron

Beat the sentinels on my sl1 company of champions run! It wasn't too hard but it still made for a tense fight because their attacks do a lot of damage and have a huge reach. I made a big detour all the way to the iron keep to get an ember to infuse my mace before facing them, and that proved to be really useful. I killed each of them really quickly. Doing a drop attack for ~700 damage on the second sentinel was pretty useful too.

So far I'm finding this SL1 run harder than a SL1 run in Dark Souls 1, and I don't really see that changing. The fact that you can't equip any 100% physical shield combined with the fact that you need to hold all the weapons that do any damage with two hands just to be able to use them make things quite a bit harder. You can't turtle at all, you need to dodge everything. It's a nice challenge though, I'm quite enjoying it.

Since I got past the sentinels I think beating the 4 old ones shouldn't be too bad. I'm not especially looking forward to what comes after, when bosses start to have heaps of health and do heaps of damage (I'll probably start getting one shot after the
drangleic castle
...).

Covetus Demon u even tryin bro?

Yeah he's really easy. Although its grab move has an interesting effect:
it put all equipment back in your inventory lol. Last time I fought it I got careless and got pretty surprised when it spit me out and I wasn't wearing anything anymore
. I still managed to beat it but it was quite fun.

Levyne

Banned
Finally done with the iron keep. Lot of fretting about getting the items. And I found a surprise
miniboss
that I could barely damage and had to outlast.

R1CHO

Stefan™;109675726 said:
FINALLY!

Is it just me or is leveling waaay faster then before? Already level 42 after two bosses.
The weight limit seems way more forgiving as well. Still got the mid-roll at 65%.

Much, much faster. The increase in exp requiered every level is much lower now, less exponential progression.

FUCK that
Chariot
boss. First one that gives me a lot of trouble. Like, you have those hiding spots but sometimes he still hits you. What's up with that shit.

Couldn't get through the Pursuer fight (kept making stupid mistakes, suck at rolling and i'm way too tired) so I summoned some help. Boss went down in two minutes. :p
I've played both Dark and Demon's Souls, but this is the first time I really make use of the online-functionality. The community seems pretty cool.

FINALLY!

Yup you level really easily in this game and you can fast roll till 70%. Much more lenient.

Styles

Yeah he's really easy. Although its grab move has an interesting effect:
it put all equipment back in your inventory lol. Last time I fought it I got careless and got pretty surprised when it spit me out and I wasn't wearing anything anymore
. I still managed to beat it but it was quite fun.

LOL. That happened to one of the guys I co-oped with,
he ran around aimlessly for 20 or so seconds, it seemed like he was caught off guard, or something. By the time he had equipped everything back on, the boss was almost dead.
It was hilarious.

You can do that fight in like 10 seconds with help by using the ballistae. I was quite baffled when I summoned help for the fight and he suddenly just died :)

I've summoned help for quite a few fights (and helped other people), I don't feel like hitting my head against a wall for hours on end. If a boss straight up destroyes me or it seems like I'd need to keep up perfect execution for 10 minutes due to the damage I'm dealing I'd rather just do it with other people.

FUCK that
Chariot
boss. First one that gives me a lot of trouble. Like, you have those hiding spots but sometimes he still hits you. What's up with that shit.
I found that the hiding spots on the inner side of the curve are always safe. Unless there's a skeleton in there with you.

Gregorn

Has anyone else been in the 'Company of Champions' covenant without knowing what it does? I don't know if I should leave or keep playing the game this way.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Much, much faster. The increase in exp requiered every level is much lower now, less exponential progression.
Yup you level really easily in this game and you can fast roll till 70%. Much more lenient.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Don't get me wrong, I like it, especially combined with the higher stat-requirements for equipment, but after finishing Demon's Souls at level 58... it feels pretty weird.

I have to say I like the vanishing enemies more then I would have thaught. Drops feel more special, you can't grind endlesly and it makes the losing of souls feel like just that; a real loss. Running back to a boss just to get kicked in your behind in a matter of seconds is less frustrating as well.

I am having so much trouble with the
heides tower of flame
, what is the best strategy against the
knights?

I am slowly starting to enjoy the game though despite getting my arse kicked, I need to level up so I can use this halberd then I think I will be more competent. It feels weird using short reaching weapons compared to my Zweihander in DS1.

kanuuna

Any idea how to disable mouse look in Dark Souls? I was thinking of trying to tweak the default ENB a bit through the in-game menu, but I find it impossible to do because the game register's my mouse movement even when a controller is attached - therefore keeping it centered, unless I go into a menu. Menus that go away if you click anywhere outside the portion of the screen they cover.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wastes time farming alonne captains, finds out there is no alonne captain leggings and gauntlets, only helm and chest (which I have)

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage (good souls at least)

How do I use a token of fidelity to duel?

Go to the bonfire in the cathedral of blue. There will be three statues in the same room as the bonfire. Go in front of a statute and it should give you an option to search for a sparring partner (each statue gives a different venue, I think but the same rules apply)

Rhaknar

whats up with
Pursuer
popping up again where
Smelter Demon
was? took me ages to kill him >_>

Its "that torch guy"! He'll happily follow you around
The Undead Crypt
without ever attacking apparently. Guess you never know when some enemies are kill on sight.

08769222376E086D83C385E91CDF6DF1BAD519A4

The rest are hidden behind links in case of spoilers.

Best area in the game:
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/469808166709518623/E3CEABD854D1966DBC75C090069D4B5515A65FF6/

What is going on with this NPC? It seems so out of place with everything else.
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/469808166709509940/58683E8C20CC11E866E88B914569D81185FE6328/

Firebrand

Fuck The Pursuer. That's all. Really though, he shouldn't be very difficult, but I'm just so bad at rolling. I'm trying to actually get out of the way just before he strikes rather than use invincibility frames, and that doesn't do much.

I know there's the
ballistas
, but eh, I need to learn this. Just a shame about the constantly dropping HP and despawns, I really dislike both mechanics. The HP drop is more of a money sink that anything else.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Don't get me wrong, I like it, especially combined with the higher stat-requirements for equipment, but after finishing Demon's Souls at level 58... it feels pretty weird.

I have to say I like the vanishing enemies more then I would have thaught. Drops feel more special, you can't grind endlesly and it makes the losing of souls feel like just that; a real loss. Running back to a boss just to get kicked in your behind in a matter of seconds is less frustrating as well.

DeS was more punishing iirc.

I mean 1st boss gave you 1,500 souls meanwhile the first boss in Dark Souls 2 gives you 10 000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom