• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how she says "I'm always here..."

I was just going to post that. Although, that is something that feels a bit off for a Souls game. That being said, since she's there, might as well play dress up. I am planning to give her Desert Sorc set, but dammit if that shit won't drop for me.

akaoni

Banned
I'm amazed at how some you folks are going through this game. I suck it at but am still enjoying it very much. I did most of the Forest of Fallen Giants area (though there is still some stuff to do there) and beat the boss there. I did some of the Heide's Tower of Flame area and got murdered by that
Old Dragonslayer
boss. I can't do a thing to him! I did get past the
Dragonrider
with no issue.

Right now I"m just exploring the No Man's Wharf area and so far so good. I have yet to upgrade any weapon's or pieces of armor though I have some shards. Most of the armor I'm finding are just too heavy (I'm a bandit).

I do have one question and its about as noob as it gets. How do I light a damn torch? I don't see any in my inventory.

You can light a torch at any bonfire, do the swap option thing instead of resting at it.

Be sure to use your White Soapstone, basically you are summoned to other people's worlds and help them defeat enemies with no penalty on your end for failing, and you get rewards and learn the area to do it yourself. Help them beat a boss and you become human, and then you can summon other players with their signs and they can help you beat a boss and you have yourself progress. You can also use human effigy to become human at any time but these are limited. Summon spots are usually at a bonfire or outside the boss door. Don't do it TOO much for 1 area, even try to limit it to one time placing your sign and winning, then doing it yourself or you mess up your matchmaking abilities in the long run.

Grief.exe

I'm amazed at how some you folks are going through this game. I suck it at but am still enjoying it very much. I did most of the Forest of Fallen Giants area (though there is still some stuff to do there) and beat the boss there. I did some of the Heide's Tower of Flame area and got murdered by that
Old Dragonslayer
boss. I can't do a thing to him! I did get past the
Dragonrider
with no issue.

Right now I"m just exploring the No Man's Wharf area and so far so good. I have yet to upgrade any weapon's or pieces of armor though I have some shards. Most of the armor I'm finding are just too heavy (I'm a bandit).

I do have one question and its about as noob as it gets. How do I light a damn torch? I don't see any in my inventory.

Light a torch at a bonfire You have to press Y/Triangle to flip the menu until it comes up.

Every time I get to a new boss battle, I throw down my sign a few times to help other people out as I learn the attack pattern of the boss. If you succeed you return to full health, human form, weapons repaired, and have your spell/estus charges restored.

The experience isn't all that indicative of what you will experience when you face the boss yourself. I have never seen someone summon just one person, they tend to summon two and just zerg the boss fight. This will give you a general idea on how to proceed and the layout of the area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Backstabbing seems really finnicky. Makes me afraid to try parrying most enemies.
Backstabbing is unrelated to parrying, you mean riposte?

I actually find the backstabbing animations relatively generous in this game once you get the hang of it, and the counter multiplier on daggers seems outstanding.
I don't even bother parrying in this game. The riposte animation is so slow and not satisfying. Wish they didn't make all ripostes involve stabbing down on a fallen enemy.
Just wanted to disagree, as someone very riposte-centric since about halfway through Demon's Souls, I am really enjoying this. It's different and takes getting used to but I find all the animations I've seen so far very satisfying and the new way parrying/riposte works makes it possible to use parry to deal with multiple enemies in ways I never would have considered before. Want my parrying dagger badly.

Haunted

apparently a few npcs you need to summon for bosses to complete their storyline. Lame!
missable content in videogames continues to be the bane of my existence!

Sooo this was my summon picture yesterday.

i52fcxUmN32mG.jpg
I mean, I know From's character creation tools get a bad rep, but that's just uncalled for. :p

Just wanted to disagree, as someone very riposte-centric since about halfway through Demon's Souls, I am really enjoying this. It's different and takes getting used to but I find all the animations I've seen so far very satisfying and the new way parrying/riposte works makes it possible to use parry to deal with multiple enemies in ways I never would have considered before. Want my parrying dagger badly.

I must just suck at parrying. I had a hard enough time in DeS and DS1 pulling it off that I just gave up on them, DS2 is even less forgiving so I don't even bother. I wish I could since it is really fun and cool when you pull it off. I probably just suck at it though and don't have the patience to practice it.

So i used the stone on the naked chick and pulled the switch

How are you supposed to survive what happens next? Between being swarmed and then poisoned and then swarmed again I can only get off a few swings before death approaches. Tips?

LiK

Backstabbing is unrelated to parrying, you mean riposte?

I actually find the backstabbing animations relatively generous in this game once you get the hang of it, and the counter multiplier on daggers seems outstanding.

I prefer ripostes in Demon's and DkS1. Hate the way they did it in DkS2

zkylon

zkylewd

How are you supposed to survive what happens next? Between being swarmed and then poisoned and then swarmed again I can only get off a few swings before death approaches. Tips?

yeah you're not really supposed to

i just caught a message saying ambush and just looked around and saw the doors

you can shoot one of the doors down with a bow and trigger the mutated dick monsters to pop out and you can maybe beat them one at a time as they go through the entrance

i personally just had a rush moment and somehow killed them all and there's a bonfire close on the other side so never had to come across giant mutated dick dudes ever again

fortunately

they're gross

Cyrano

Its durability seems to decrease when you hit objects, the wall or the ground as well, which basically means that you'll often have double/triple the durability loss when attacking the enemy. How they haven't patched that out or how they never even noticed that is beyond me.
It's intentional, not a bug.

DukeBobby

I must just suck at parrying. I had a hard enough time in DeS and DS1 pulling it off that I just gave up on them, DS2 is even less forgiving so I don't even bother. I wish I could since it is really fun and cool when you pull it off. I probably just suck at it though and don't have the patience to practice it.

I've never learnt to parry properly either. I don't do much PvP, so I've never really needed to.

I prefer backstabbing.

Haunted

Really depends on your weapons and what kind of build you have, but some general tips for one-handed melee characters when the game tries to overwhelm you with numbers:

Keep your distance, don't let them surround you, circle around the outer confines of the room, take single shots at enemies that have just finished their animation or are slightly away from the group, don't overcommit or get greedy.

Alternatively, and if it's that exact situation I'm thinking of,
run into one of the cells and get them stuck in one of the opened doorways so you can hold them off one at a time there.

kanuuna

If you get yourself an Alluring Skull, you can throw it in the center of the room right after you pull the lever. It'll distract them from aggroing you, and they will bunch up. This should give you time to swing (weapons with wide attack patterns) it or fling it (spells - a single Lightning Spear can be enough to kill one), whichever way you play the game.

Haunted

Do you spend your souls often in fear of loosing them? Should I?
Spend your souls early and often. No sense in hoarding them, except if there's something really specific you're aiming for.

Also, bank your souls items and use them as a boost if you're just missing a little bit for a specific purchase.

Anyway, you can tell if you're summonable when your covenant sign in the top left corner will pulse.
oh I didn't know that. Interesting.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you get yourself an Alluring Skull, you can throw it in the center of the room right after you pull the lever. It'll distract them from aggroing you, and they will bunch up. This should give you time to swing (weapons with wide attack patterns) it or fling it (spells - a single Lightning Spear can be enough to kill one), whichever way you play the game.
This is a good tip. Also anywhere you can bottle-neck the enemy and use a thrust weapon is a good strategy as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's really different than either of the others. The goons in the
Forest of Fallen Giants
(early area) are great for practicing if you do want to. You have to wait until they're on the ground sort of paused to riposte.
I prefer ripostes in Demon's and DkS1. Hate the way they did it in DkS2
Well DkS1 seemed really forgiving to me so I liked it the most so far, but I find this way very satisfying too. The dagger stab looks like it aptly deserves to be a one-hit kill.

It's really different than either of the others. The goons in the
Forest of Fallen Giants
(early area) are great for practicing if you do want to. You have to wait until they're on the ground sort of paused to riposte.

It isn't the riposte I have trouble with. I understand you have to wait till they fall on their ass to attack, I can't land an L2 parry to save my life in this game.

eot

Banned
Lost Bastille
I discovered that throwing knives are amazing against the guys who leap at you and explode. Regular ass throwing knives 1-shot them.

kanuuna

Re-posting from the Steam thread:

I got mine from Nuuvem. This was my first purchase from their store, and it was breeze. Made an account, paid with PayPal and the CD-key was available in an instant. I didn't have to do any of that identity confirmation stuff a lot of sites use when you're a first time customer.
I would definitely buy games from their site in the future. Only site where I've found to be this quick, aside from the obvious GMG is cdkeyhouse.com.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm really happy with the damage I'm getting out of my Mastodon Halberd, if I was to apply a status effect to it, which is the best way to go? I was reading that the Dark Mastodon Halberd is badass, but I was worried about how it would do against characters that do dark damage, such as
Nashandra.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It isn't the riposte I have trouble with. I understand you have to wait till they fall on their ass to attack, I can't land an L2 parry to save my life in this game.
Gotcha. Apparently this becomes easier the more ADP you have in this game, so that's something to consider I guess- if you have a bunch more points into it later on, could revisit it.

Really depends on your weapons and what kind of build you have, but some general tips for one-handed melee characters when the game tries to overwhelm you with numbers:

Keep your distance, don't let them surround you, circle around the outer confines of the room, take single shots at enemies that have just finished their animation or are slightly away from the group, don't overcommit or get greedy.

Alternatively, and if it's that exact situation I'm thinking of,
run into one of the cells and get them stuck in one of the opened doorways so you can hold them off one at a time there.

Just clear the smaller rooms beforehand and then run into one of those when the ambush occurs. Stand at the entrance and beat them when they try to enter.

Great, thanks guys. Some good shit to try when I get home. I like the skull idea, didn't even consider that.

Cyrano

If that's the case, then it's a pretty terrible idea. Also, not all large weapons have this.

I mean I brought it with full durability to the
rat vanguard
boss battle and it broke within thirty seconds for fucks sake. It's already bad that practically every enemy hit reduces durability, but adding environment collision to that, especially when the weapon hits in large arcs or is smashed against the ground and especially when the world is cluttered with objects everywhere (and has tons of tight spaces), is beyond stupid.
I think that it in addition to the fact that Strike seems to be a lot better than slash in this game in PvE was part of attempting to make more of the mechanics relevant directly to playstyle (in particular, armored enemies are very weak to strike damage which is trying to relate that a "Striking" weapon crushes armor... or at least that seems to be the line of thought). The reducing durability on weapons sort of requires considering a secondary or tertiary weapon but they also worked out a nice way of handling it in that as long as the weapon doesn't break it repairs automatically at bonfires.

Also yeah, not all weapons function in terribly similar manners. There seems to be a LOT more specificity with weapon function in various situations. Thrust weapons degrade super quickly if they're blocked by a shield, as an example.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Lost Bastille
I discovered that throwing knives are amazing against the guys who leap at you and explode. Regular ass throwing knives 1-shot them.
Yeah throwing knives are godlyk in this game. I don't remember them being great in Dark Souls 1 so I never bothered, but on new runs before I have a plethora of ranged options I always carry around a stack of them along with some firebombs (for the AOE). They do great damage in this one and are good for dangerous enemies like the ones in your spoiler text.

I'm really happy with the damage I'm getting out of my Mastodon Halberd, if I was to apply a status effect to it, which is the best way to go? I was reading that the Dark Mastodon Halberd is badass, but I was worried about how it would do against characters that do dark damage, such as
Nashandra.

Depends on your build. Magic is so good for int builds it does like 150+ more dmg then regular +10. Got two of them maxed one magic and one regular for magic resistant enemies.

Gotcha. Apparently this becomes easier the more ADP you have in this game, so that's something to consider I guess- if you have a bunch more points into it later on, could revisit it.

I have the parrying dagger and I think it has a larger parry window so I think I will try to practice with that.

My Str is 50 and my Dex is 25. I've put nothing into Int or Faith.

Well most of the infusing like magic, fire, and lightning stack with faith and int. So if you go with any of those you won't get as much dmg out of those. It could still be stronger than regular +10 but not sure. If your going a str/dex build I would recommend some other weapons that scale well with both stats since you have 25 dex.

If that's the case, then it's a pretty terrible idea. Also, not all large weapons have this.

I mean I brought it with full durability to the
rat vanguard
boss battle and it broke within thirty seconds for fucks sake. It's already bad that practically every enemy hit reduces durability, but adding environment collision to that, especially when the weapon hits in large arcs or is smashed against the ground and especially when the world is cluttered with objects everywhere (and has tons of tight spaces), is beyond stupid.

Perhaps they mean for you to use a weapon better suited for tight spaces. The whole point of durability is to force you to use more than one weapon.

cm osi

I think I just missed out on the
Pilgrim's of the Dark
Covenant due to having my little torch friend with me.

I did the same. After reading Pate's gear I feel like he was innocent in all of this.

i think that counts as a sin, so you can probably fix it by paying souls

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Chameleon turns you into a barrel... or well, an "object" in the game world. I said my first char was a Sorc after all... and there are reasons behind that. :p
Oh lul, my bad. That's cool. There is also a barrel armor item that isn't in the game yet, which is what I confused it for.
http://i.imgur.com/oyA6ZCJ.jpg?1?3395[/IG]
Trying to pull off some Sauron cosplay :D[/QUOTE]That's awesome!

Cyrano

This durability decrease doesn't seem to work based on weapon type however. Greatswords that are also slash/thrust do not receive damage when hitting the floor, despite being of a similar type. I understand that they might have mixed things up based on weapon type, but it does make things vastly unbalanced when one weapon of similar type and strength can endure a lot of hits, while the other breaks within seconds.

Also, I accidentally bolded the boss instead of putting spoiler tags. Could you also edit that out in your post?
Yep, edited.

Well again, weapons in this game are much more unique than in the past games. It kinda seems like almost every weapon has some kind quirk associated with it now, and that even weapons of the same type don't all function similarly. Even some of the Katana's various movesets are slower or faster with certain Katanas, despite all still being of the same weapon type and even animation type. Durability loss also functions differently for all of them.

So yeah, I don't actually think it's that bad of a thing. It does force the player to be more considerate of their weapons, for better or worse.

Cast Time and AGL are the biggest black boxes in this game that haven't really been figured out nearly so much as "generally understood."

zma1013

Supposedly they made the twinblades better but those things would destroy themselves within a couples of enemies due to it hitting the ground like 10 times while swinging.

Zeliard

ADP/Agility has no effect on parrying whatsoever. That's going to be dependent on the parrying window of the particular shield/weapon you're trying to parry with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom