• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

The problem with Soul Memory is you will probably be PVP'ing with the same group of people for all time. Everyone will just continue to PVP and gain souls, with out gaining any new players into your 'bracket' if that makes sense.
After 12M SM, everyone is in the same post 12M bracket. That is where things start to get real ugly with the SL 400+ Mundane Havel Monsters. I just want the majority of the active PvP community to not go full hollow and constrain their build, so the world might be mended.
Does the arena PVP at the cathedral match you up based on level?
No, it's all over the place, I think it is SM mostly, but it is definitely not SL, I have fought SL 200+ and fought sub SL 70 players often.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah I messed up summoning npcs as well.
Lucatiel or whatever her name is I only found her the third time after doing sinner/flexile sentry so I only summoned her for smelter. As for that guy in the first area I did the last giant boss as an hollow so didn't see his summin sign.
:(
Benhart isn't even available for that fight. IIRC he is an option for Prowling Magus, LGKnight, Memory of Jeigh, Throne Duo.

Uthred

I don't see the point of the limited shards from vendors. They sell enough to fully upgrade a single weapon with so you're just penalized for wanting to experiment with different weapons.

Yeah a few more wouldnt hurt, at least the games much more generous than DeS or DS with dropping upgrade materials

I can't open the shortcut door in No man's Wharf. I click on the option to pull the metal hoop thing and my guy does a walk animation up to it and then stops. He never actually pulls it :/

Cyrano

After 12M SM, everyone is in the same post 12M bracket. That is where things start to get real ugly with the SL 400+ Mundane Havel Monsters. I just want the majority of the active PvP community to not go full hollow and constrain their build, so the world might be mended.

No, it's all over the place, I think it is SM mostly, but it is definitely not SL, I have fought SL 200+ and fought sub SL 70 players often.
Hrm... that's a bit worrying. I also definitely preferred the SL of 120 that I tended to play in via Dark Souls 1. Due to this game being longer and more spread out though, SL 135 does seem more reasonable.

Can you explain how Soul Memory works?
Also are Bellkeeper Areas the primary PvP spots? Or are there others?

Benhart? I was on about Mild-Mannered Pate whom I heard you could summon for the giant.

Yes, that is the fight for Pate and you will get his armor and spear later on if you summon him and win, Pate must survive. He got it confused with Benhart because... reasons that are easy to mix up.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Benhart? I was on about Mild-Mannered Pate whom I heard you could summon for the giant.
Ah yes, Pate. I think you get his gear if you summon him but I don't recall if you need to summon him to complete his story, so you might still be okay if you can find him in Earthen Peak. He's tied in with another NPC you see, so their stories are utterly inextricable without your expert intervention at a certain point in the game.

Zafir

Ah yes, Pate. I think you get his gear if you summon him but I don't recall if you need to summon him to complete his story, so you might still be okay if you can find him in Earthen Peak. He's tied in with another NPC you see, so their stories are utterly inextricable without your expert intervention at a certain point in the game.
Ah ok thanks. I'll have to go exploring for him in earthen peaks then see if I can find him. I know he did disappear from his first position.

Sullichin

Yeah. While I'm not overly concerned about hard capping my build at a specific level, fuck leveling to 400 just so you can have the same OP build that's the current flavor of the week.

Sitting comfortably at SL140 with my current STR guy. I'll probably bring him up to 150. Since I'm only using the lion greataxe I took STR a little past 40 cause why not. WIll probably round that off at 45 and get slightly more END and VIT. Should have started as a Bandit instead of a Knight for more efficient min-maxing but I suppose it doesn't matter with SM.

Mother FUCK the Sea Bow. It won't drop for me. Going to have to ascetic No Man's Wharf. Am I right in thinking that there's only 4 Vangarian Archers (including 2 on the ship)?

Levyne

Banned
For Pate I found him
In a fight with the other guy and killed him and got his stuff that way. I guess in NG+ I'll save him and kill the other dude.

Booshka

Hrm... that's a bit worrying. I also definitely preferred the SL of 120 that I tended to play in via Dark Souls 1. Due to this game being longer and more spread out though, SL 135 does seem more reasonable.

Soul Memory is the overall amount of souls you have gained through gameplay, regardless of whether you spent them, or lost them. There is a stat for it in player status screen, next to your Soul level and souls to level stat at the top of the page. The matchmaking for online interaction relies heavily on this Soul Memory number. In NG, SL and SM are taken into account for player matching, in NG+ and beyond, SM is the only matchmaking factor. There are different brackets of matchmaking that depend on what range your SM is.

Not sure on the actual numbers, but it's usually with 3 million SM up to 6 Million I think, then it goes up to 12. After 12M, everyone matches together post 12M Soul Memory. So a player with 100M SM can play with someone at say 15M. That 100M player could have never spent those souls on leveling and still be at a low level, or they could have spent all those souls on leveling and be nearly unkillable because of how insane defense scaling gets as you continue to grind out levels all the way up to the max of 838.

This mechanic breaks the notion for a PvP meta because everyone matches with everyone regardless of Soul Level, it's also similar for PvE co op, you can summon any SL for co op, as long as you match together based off SM. In past Souls games, Invaders could always invade up infinitely in Soul level, but never way below their level, and co op always had to be within a certain range. Most players decided on constraining builds to around 120 because of soft caps on stats and build diversity and fairness. With SM, a lot less player are inclined to do that, and because of how strong you get as you continue to level, players that keep themselves at lower SL will be at a severe disadvantage against really high SL players. In the past games you could always compete against insane high SL players with your 120-130 build. With how insane defense scaling works, and the inclusion of the Mundane upgrade path, it becomes less likely that you can even compete with a few hundred SL difference between players.

HoosTrax

For the achievements that say "learn all [spells/miracles/pyromancies]" etc, does "learn" mean possess them in your inventory?

As far as the usage of soul memory for matchmaking, I don't know if I like that. It kind of forces min-maxing, and building characters specifically for online interactions. With your normal character, you kind of try not to obsess about dying and permanently losing souls, and you don't want to obsess about only upgrading a single set of gear, and using all of the rest of your souls for leveling.

impact

Banned

135 is definitely not enough in this game imo. I'm at 160 and feel no need to go higher, but anything lower and I felt like I was gimping my build.

Booshka

135 is definitely not enough in this game imo. I'm at 160 and feel no need to go higher, but anything lower and I felt like I was gimping my build.

135 is enough, you just don't want to make sacrifices or haven't optimized your build well enough.

Most starter classes are at about 10 SL's higher than they were in Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 1 PvP meta was pretty much 120-130 most of its life, so add 10 levels to that and 135 is a good DkS2 PvP meta imo. There are more stats in DkS2 than DkS1, but a well optimized build will completely ignore plenty of those stats and min/max the ones their build focuses on.

Grief.exe

I think I just missed out on the
Pilgrim's of the Dark
Covenant due to having my little torch friend with me.

For Pate I found him
In a fight with the other guy and killed him and got his stuff that way. I guess in NG+ I'll save him and kill the other dude.

I did the same. After reading Pate's gear I feel like he was innocent in all of this.

Cyrano

Soul Memory is the overall amount of souls you have gained through gameplay, regardless of whether you spent them, or lost them. There is a stat for it in player status screen, next to your Soul level and souls to level stat at the top of the page. The matchmaking for online interaction relies heavily on this Soul Memory number. In NG, SL and SM are taken into account for player matching, in NG+ and beyond, SM is the only matchmaking factor. There are different brackets of matchmaking that depend on what range your SM is.

Not sure on the actual numbers, but it's usually with 3 million SM up to 6 Million I think, then it goes up to 12. After 12M, everyone matches together post 12M Soul Memory. So a player with 100M SM can play with someone at say 15M. That 100M player could have never spent those souls on leveling and still be at a low level, or they could have spent all those souls on leveling and be nearly unkillable because of how insane defense scaling gets as you continue to grind out levels all the way up to the max of 838.

This mechanic breaks the notion for a PvP meta because everyone matches with everyone regardless of Soul Level, it's also similar for PvE co op, you can summon any SL for co op, as long as you match together based off SM. In past Souls games, Invaders could always invade up infinitely in Soul level, but never way below their level, and co op always had to be within a certain range. Most players decided on constraining builds to around 120 because of soft caps on stats and build diversity and fairness. With SM, a lot less player are inclined to do that, and because of how strong you get as you continue to level, players that keep themselves at lower SL will be at a severe disadvantage against really high SL players. In the past games you could always compete against insane high SL players with your 120-130 build. With how insane defense scaling works, and the inclusion of the Mundane upgrade path, it becomes less likely that you can even compete with a few hundred SL difference between players.
How does defense scaling work in this game? Is it based on level or something?
Is it just me or does the mastodon halbertlose durability way faster than any other weapon? It breaks so incredibly fast, while my starter mace with less durability would last incredibly long.
Yeah, certain items break much faster for some reason. The rings that prevent durability loss help a lot with this mid-end game.

I think I just missed out on the
Pilgrim's of the Dark
Covenant due to having my little torch friend with me.

I did the same. After reading Pate's gear I feel like he was innocent in all of this.

You can always joing that one. Are you talking about
Agdyne? That's not the one. Have you run into Darkdiver Grandahl 3 times yet? He is hidden in Black Gulch, Shaded Ruins and Drangleic Castle.

uB9TcpW.jpg

I managed to do this somehow.

Just met this character and thought "God damn it, Japan."

Booshka

How does defense scaling work in this game? Is it based on level or something?

Yeah, certain items break much faster for some reason. The rings that prevent durability loss help a lot with this mid-end game.

Nearly every stat increases a couple defense stats along with its primary function. The headline quote I I have heard is that every 60 or so Levels is like adding another level of Havels to your defense. So a player that is SL 500 is far more durable and resilient than a lower level player, along with having a ton of HP, damage, spells and options at their disposal. In previous Souls games, player defenses didn't scale up as hard, you could get a ton of HP, more damage and options, but your general defenses were pretty comparable to a lower leveled player.

impact

Banned
135 is enough, you just don't want to make sacrifices or haven't optimized your build well enough.

Most starter classes are at about 10 SL's higher than they were in Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 1 PvP meta was pretty much 120-130 most of its life, so add 10 levels to that and 135 is a good DkS2 PvP meta imo. There are more stats in DkS2 than DkS1, but a well optimized build will completely ignore plenty of those stats and min/max the ones their build focuses on.

Yea I'm just gonna disagree. If ADP wasn't a thing you might have a point, but anything less than 30ADP just feel off to me. And that's 30 points into something that was non-existent in Dark Souls.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Not a big deal, but I just noticed I didn't get the Supreme Weapon achievement after upgrading the Heide Knight Sword to +10 a couple days ago. Am I missing something?

Edit: Looks like I'm missing a bonfire one too. Oh well.

Booshka

Yea I'm just gonna disagree. If ADP wasn't a thing you might have a point, but anything less than 30ADP just feel off to me. And that's 30 points into something that was non-existent in Dark Souls.

95 agility is all you need. Anything more is just a preference that you should have to sacrifice for. You can get Agility with ATT or ADP, so casters, hybrids and pure melee builds alike can all get to 95 agility without too much investment.

I'm amazed at how some you folks are going through this game. I suck it at but am still enjoying it very much. I did most of the Forest of Fallen Giants area (though there is still some stuff to do there) and beat the boss there. I did some of the Heide's Tower of Flame area and got murdered by that
Old Dragonslayer
boss. I can't do a thing to him! I did get past the
Dragonrider
with no issue.

Right now I"m just exploring the No Man's Wharf area and so far so good. I have yet to upgrade any weapon's or pieces of armor though I have some shards. Most of the armor I'm finding are just too heavy (I'm a bandit).

I do have one question and its about as noob as it gets. How do I light a damn torch? I don't see any in my inventory.

Never too late.
Use bonfire ascetic so boss respawn. Summon NPC and win !
(boss will be a bit harder though)

What happens if I got to
Aldia's Keep
and a certain NPC disappeared? Can I still use ascetics in earlier areas with their summon sign, summon them and eventually complete their story?

some ups and downs today

Ups :

- Joined the BellBros and managed to take out the first guy I invaded. You got fists? Come at me, bro.
- Beat
gargoyles
the first try. Shit there were a lot of them. How many total, like 5 or 6?

Downs :

- I found out how just fantastic PvP is. I got backstabbed from the front. That was interesting. Then got summoned in and the dude bowed. Didn't do anything until I bowed. And then threw a lightning spear that didn't hit me, yelled killed me.

BellBros : Can you get summoned to help from anywhere in the game as long as you have the ring on? If so, that's awesome.

I'm amazed at how some you folks are going through this game. I suck it at but am still enjoying it very much. I did most of the Forest of Fallen Giants area (though there is still some stuff to do there) and beat the boss there. I did some of the Heide's Tower of Flame area and got murdered by that
Old Dragonslayer
boss. I can't do a thing to him! I did get past the
Dragonrider
with no issue.

If you are having trouble with a boss, throw down a large summon sign and co-op it. Unless you really NEED to do the game solo, there isn't a reason to not team up and keep playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom