• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the look of the zwei and the moveset, but it just doesn't seem to be doing that much damage comparitively.

I have it at +9 Fire and my large club at +10 normal and the latter just tears through everything.

That's because so many enemies are weak to Strike type weapons. Large Club also has great base damage regardless.

I am totaly stuck in D
rangleic Castle
. I am in the area following the bonfire after the
two Dragonriders
boss battle, and I just can't seem to find the way to go forward? There's a lift located next to a lever that I can't activate and a locked door, any hint?

In the room with the lift, go up the ladder. Once you get to the room at the top you'll fight stone soldiers. Kill them near the giant statue and it will absorb their souls and activate the lift.

Booshka

I love the look of the zwei and the moveset, but it just doesn't seem to be doing that much damage comparitively.

I have it at +9 Fire and my large club at +10 normal and the latter just tears through everything.
Strike is far better than Slash damage most of the time in this game, so that is stacking on top of the fact that Great Hammers also have high Attack Rating. The Greatsword is the new Ultra Great of choice, it's really heavy, but it does great damage and has huge reach. I haven't really messed with the Zwei just because of how good Great Hammers are in this game, and my trusty Estoc.
Any particular dagger?
Dagger, the basic Dagger that you can get at the start of the game. It does a ton of crit damage. Royal Dirk is another good one, although I haven't used it.

Cyrano

Any particular dagger?
As Gbraga says, anything that can be backstabbed with the dagger, especially once it gets upgraded, pretty consistently dies in one hit. Even endgame enemies would fall to one shot of my +4 dagger if I remember correctly.

You should be able to find a room with the
stone soldiers, I think you go the opposite way of the lever.
. There's a path that eventually loops back around to the bonfire. You'll eventually be able to get a Key you need.
Yeah, should have been more clear, I had actually found the
ladder
in the locked door room and fought my way back to the bonfire, matter of fact I've been circling around the area passing through the bonfire room for like 20 minutes now :/ I guess to need to activate that
giant stone guy
somehow?

In the room with the lift, go up the ladder. Once you get to the room at the top you'll fight stone soldiers. Kill them near the giant statue and it will absorb their souls and activate the lift.
Whaat that didn't happen to me.

Cyrano

Yeah, should have been more clear, I had actually found the
ladder
in the locked door room and fought my way back to the bonfire, matter of fact I've been circling around the area passing through the bonfire room for like 20 minutes now :/ I guess to need to activate that
giant stone guy
somehow?
It works the same way as it did at the entrance.

So, two amusing things happened to me yesterday. First off, some random dude trying to be crafty (and almost killing the host amidst the confusion):

zakprj.gif

Secondly, this bug with the Chariot boss:

tfwkbp.gif

Also had some audio issues with that fight that I didn't encounter on the console version. Wonder why it's having more issues on PC for me.

Grief.exe

That's because so many enemies are weak to Strike type weapons. Large Club also has great base damage regardless.

Strike is far better than Slash damage most of the time in this game, so that is stacking on top of the fact that Great Hammers also have high Attack Rating. The Greatsword is the new Ultra Great of choice, it's really heavy, but it does great damage and has huge reach. I haven't really messed with the Zwei just because of how good Great Hammers are in this game, and my trusty Estoc.

What's another good great hammer I should try out?

Is there another boss in
Shrine of Amana
that I am missing? I swear I saw some more fog last night?

zma1013

I got antsy and peeked at a trophy guide even though I am playing "blind". It's good to know that I effectively have a second playthrough to wrap up things that I missed. Before going to NG+ and ++ though I will probably scour around for treasure and stuff. Well, first I need to beat the thing :p

You can't realistically get the platinum until NG++ though. It's pointless to look at trophy requirements on NG anyways.

Levyne

Banned
If I wanted another weapon to compliment my Heide sword, any suggestions for a STR build? I'm thinking a Halberd or spear/pike thing. There's so many weapons and I dunno what to upgrade D:

You can't realistically get the platinum until NG++ though. It's pointless to look at trophy requirements on NG anyways.

Haha, maybe I was unclear but that's what I was getting at! I have a second playthrough (NG+) which is perfect for doing what you missed in the first go.

It works the same way as it did at the entrance.
Yeah I have no clue how I did it at the entrance.

You have to kill them right next to the statue.
Oh ok, I'll try that.

edit: it worked! thanks

Damn, the next room is creepy.

Looking Glass Knight
beat! Is it just me or is the game really inconsistent when it comes to boss battles difficulty, the
Dragonriders
made me their bitch for a while, but the
Knight
was a joke.

zkylon

zkylewd
also i forgot if this got answered: is the heide knight a single instance or i can kill him everywhere?

i've been leaving him be cos he seems like a swell guy but now i kinda want his armor

Booshka

infinite chunks are only for bellbros?
Late game you Chloanne will start to sell Infinite Chunks along with Small and Large shards
What's another good great hammer I should try out?

Great Club is a straight upgrade from Large, but just weighs more. Gyrm Great Hammer is also really good, and looks Metal as hell. Giant Warrior Club is insanely heavy, and really strong as well, Demon's Great Hammer requires Twinkling but does a ton of damage too.

So far I have been sticking with the Great Club, the damage to weight ratio is excellent, it looks really cool, and matches my gear. All of them are pretty damn good though.

Levyne

Banned
also i forgot if this got answered: is the heide knight a single instance or i can kill him everywhere?

i've been leaving him be cos he seems like a swell guy but now i kinda want his armor

Each one I've met (3) drops something different. Not armor though (at least not yet for me)

Soulhouf

Zwei is pretty good weapon for its move set alone. It's light for a great sword and have high critical damage.
I honestly prefer it to the Greatsword because that one is so heavy.
With the minimum requirement 2H, imbue it to Raw path and enjoy having a powerful weapon without much investment.
It's awesome for PvP as well.

haha hey bro what's up? I was Live_Feed/Hass at the other forums. Been years, even though you're on my steam friends list. Hope things are going well for you :)

Ahh ok. Yeah I remember you, Hass. Everything's good with me, thanks.

I noticed you been playing a lot of Dark Souls 2 lately.;) No surprise there, best game around right now.

Cyrano

If I wanted another weapon to compliment my Heide sword, any suggestions for a STR build? I'm thinking a Halberd or spear/pike thing. Theres so many weapons and I dunno what to upgrade D:
I really like the Large Club, but if you're a fan of swords, maybe the Blacksteel Katana? Still has a good moveset and is one of the faster weapons both 2h and 1h.

Thrusting Swords in particular got much better movesets in this game than in the original.

Slash damage has a lot of disadvantages in this game, which is unfortunate.

Grief.exe

Is there another boss in
Shrine of Amana
that I am missing? I swear I saw some more fog last night?

Great Club is a straight upgrade from Large, but just weighs more. Gyrm Great Hammer is also really good, and looks Metal as hell. Giant Warrior Club is insanely heavy, and really strong as well, Demon's Great Hammer requires Twinkling but does a ton of damage too.

So far I have been sticking with the Great Club, the damage to weight ratio is excellent, it looks really cool, and matches my gear. All of them are pretty damn good though.

I'll give it a shot as it's a straight upgrade over large. Will need to rework my armor to stay below 50% equip.

Zwei is pretty good weapon for its move set alone. It's light for a great sword and have high critical damage.
I honestly prefer it to the Greatsword because that one is so heavy.
With the minimum requirement 2H, imbue it to Raw path and enjoy having a powerful weapon without much investment.
It's awesome for PvP as well.

I'll give it a shot with Raw.

Levyne

Banned
I really like the Large Club, but if you're a fan of swords, maybe the Blacksteel Katana? Still has a good moveset and is one of the faster weapons both 2h and 1h.

Thrusting Swords in particular got much better movesets in this game than in the original.

Slash damage has a lot of disadvantages in this game, which is unfortunate.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions!

LiK

Surprised I haven't been invaded yet. After 14 hours of Dark Souls 2, I realized no one wants to kill me ;_;

Most red invasions don't happen until you're much later in the game. Red cracked eye orbs aren't common enough to be used that much.

Garcia

Surprised I haven't been invaded yet. After 14 hours of Dark Souls 2, I realized no one wants to kill me ;_;

Invasions will start to happen once your Soul Memory rises to 1 Million. I'm at 3.5 Million right now and the invasions are beginning to be a constant. It's really amusing to see an invader getting crushed by 2 or 3 people. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Late game you Chloanne will start to sell Infinite Chunks along with Small and Large shards
thanks, that gives me some relief in that i can experiment a bit more freely

i really want to try the scythe and the uchigatana i bought, hopefully if i upgrade them they won't be complete shit :I

Each one I've met (3) drops something different. Not armor though (at least not yet for me)
ah ok ty

i've only ran into two but i guess it's hunting time...

i just want to do anything but shoot dem iron keep archers again T_T

KarmaCow

Well crap. I accidently skipped through the text in U
ndead
C
rypt
misread it and used a torch, which set off those 4 strong undead things after the initial 3 casters. Is there anyway to reset the level or do I have to deal with them now everytime?

zkylon

zkylewd
i just realized there's a lot of goodies in the steamapps folder

artbook is kind of disappointing since it's just a bunch of pictures

comicbook is actually pretty decent

soundtrack i bet it'll be totally boss

Strike is far better than Slash damage most of the time in this game, so that is stacking on top of the fact that Great Hammers also have high Attack Rating. The Greatsword is the new Ultra Great of choice, it's really heavy, but it does great damage and has huge reach.

I loved the Greatsword, it was my primary weapon on my Melee run. Lightning infused +10 felt OP, it would wreck almost every mob in 1 hit.

Cyrano

Yea, it's after you kill
Velstadt
her shop opens up. A lot of vendors start to
sell infinite items
at late game and end game.
Ah, alright. Man, wikis are unreliable. =/

Or at least they are in the beginning.

btw for pvp builds it seems like the accepted SL is 150? Or are there multiple tiers? I'm curious about that, particularly as I'm considering making a sorc PvP build.

Booshka

Ah, alright. Man, wikis are unreliable. =/

Or at least they are in the beginning.

btw for pvp builds it seems like the accepted SL is 150? Or are there multiple tiers? I'm curious about that, particularly as I'm considering making a sorc PvP build.

I am liking 135, and a lot of players are shifting from the 150 "meta" to 135 because it more closely matches the 125 Soul level of Dark Souls 1. Soul Memory is still king, but if you want to take fair and consistent duels and PvP seriously, then you should constrain your build to 120-150. Hopefully the SM issues are fixed, and if enough people just refuse to level up, then it will work out okay in the end anyway.

Grief.exe

I am liking 135, and a lot of players are shifting from the 150 "meta" to 135 because it more closely matches the 125 Soul level of Dark Souls 1. Soul Memory is still king, but if you want to take fair and consistent duels and PvP seriously, then you should constrain your build to 120-150. Hopefully the SM issues are fixed, and if enough people just refuse to level up, then it will work out okay in the end anyway.

The problem with Soul Memory is you will probably be PVP'ing with the same group of people for all time. Everyone will just continue to PVP and gain souls, with out gaining any new players into your 'bracket' if that makes sense.

eot

Banned
I don't see the point of the limited shards from vendors. They sell enough to fully upgrade a single weapon with so you're just penalized for wanting to experiment with different weapons.

Zafir

Yeah I messed up summoning npcs as well.
Lucatiel or whatever her name is I only found her the third time after doing sinner/flexile sentry so I only summoned her for smelter. As for that guy in the first area I did the last giant boss as an hollow so didn't see his summin sign.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom