• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
uwi8s8t.jpg

Been playing for a few hours and kind of unsure where to go with my build.

Some quick thoughts from about 8 hours with the game.

- Disappointed in the enemy design so far, which was a real strong suit for DS1. There is some cool stuff in there but not nearly as diverse and awesome as the last game.
- Technically, a fantastic port. Hats off to From for listening to their customers. Game looks and run beautifully for me and I haven't bothered with the graphics mods or downsampling.
- Really don't like how "floaty" the movement and rolling is compared to the last game.
- New parry system has some nice animations, but takes too long.
- Online play is 100% better. Have been getting summoned for bosses left, right, and center. It's really useful for learning a boss fight. I drop a summon sign and check out the fight a few times before trying it myself.
- Fights are easier IMO without summoning. I've only been summoning NPCs and it's a breeze since most of the time the people you summon are trying to play it safe and just survive. The health buffs the bosses get aren't worth dealing with.

eot

Banned
I hope I don't run out of human effigies.

Before I found the Ring of Binding I was super worried about running out, but since then I've barely used them. I just stay at 75% health, it's generally enough and dying is less stressful. Haven't felt like using the ring of life protection either for whatever reason.

Before I found the Ring of Binding I was super worried about running out, but since then I've barely used them. I just stay at 75% health, it's generally enough and dying is less stressful. Haven't felt like using the ring of life protection either for whatever reason.

I doubt they're talking about reviving and maxing out their HP bar... but I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Cyrano

- Really don't like how "floaty" the movement and rolling is compared to the last game.
Your AGL is really low and that's why it feels like that.

Also damage is scaled down; enemy health isn't scaled up when playing co-op.

As for the design, I pretty much disagree. I think that this is by far From's best game from a technical perspective. The mechanics in this game are definitely front and center, even if the environment design is even more nonsensical than in the first Dark Souls.

They also fixed a lot of obnoxious stuff about the upgrading system and made a lot of that stuff much more straightforward.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I admit I leaned on the ring(s) of life protection during my first playthrough on consoles to see what it would really be like. On my PC playthrough I'm changing that.

1. Repair cost adds up. 3000 and 6000 souls a pop starts to get awkward when you realize you could be putting into character levels or buying far more valuable crafting materials.

2. Once you get a nice collection of rings, wasting a slot on something that only matters if you screw up becomes a nagging concern.

So for my PC run I am going with the strategy of only using the protection rings for a soul recovery run after death, as insurance.

Garcia

The poor Pursuer got killed in less than a minute with 3 sunbros throwing their best tricks at him. Loving the NG+ co-op speedrun experience.

Cyrano

I admit I leaned on the ring(s) of life protection during my first playthrough on consoles to see what it would really be like. On my PC playthrough I'm changing that.

1. Repair cost adds up. 3000 and 6000 souls a pop starts to get awkward when you realize you could be putting into character levels or buying far more valuable crafting materials.

2. Once you get a nice collection of rings, wasting a slot on something that only matters if you screw up becomes a nagging concern.

So for my PC run I am going with the strategy of only using the protection rings for a soul recovery run after death, as insurance.
If you're careful you should never have to worry about paying for repairs. Your weapons are automatically repaired at bonfires if they aren't broken. Pick a secondary or even tertiary weapon.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

As for the design, I pretty much disagree. I think that this is by far From's best game from a technical perspective. The mechanics in this game are definitely front and center, even if the environment design is even more nonsensical than in the first Dark Souls.

They also fixed a lot of obnoxious stuff about the upgrading system and made a lot of that stuff much more straightforward.

Doubt that is the problem. Go back and try DS1 for 5 mins. Every step you take, is like "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" and feels weighted. IDK how to explain it properly, but in this game I feel like I'm walking 4 inches over the environment. Noticed it the second I started walking around.

Zeliard

I've never used that ring as there are more useful items to use slots on, as you noted, and it's particularly pointless to use it now when getting to human form is so consistent and easy through co-op.

M3z_

I don't know whether to feel pro or idiotic to of fought and killed
mythra without draining her room.
I heard about ds2 having more puzzle bosses and I haven't solved even one puzzle for a boss and I just collected my 4th primal soul.

Grief.exe

I've never used that ring as there are more useful items to use slots on, as you noted, and it's particularly pointless to use it now when getting to human form is so consistent and easy through co-op.

That's all I do. Health getting low? Just put my sign down.

Razzorn34

I've been playing through using www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/7. Basically, reveal footage look/lighting.

I hit
No Man's Warf
last night, and started running out of torch time. You run out pretty quick if you actually need to use the thing on a regular basis to move ahead. Very few enemies drop torches, and no NPCs sell them. Just an FYI for people who want to play through with reveal footage lighting.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I heard about ds2 having more puzzle bosses and I haven't solved even one puzzle for a boss and I just collected my 4th primal soul.
Wow well done! You had to have killed her pretty fast to manage that.

I hope I don't run out of human effigies.

Drop a sign and help a bro out. Takes almost no time depending on where you're at.

I don't even know why repairing is an option in the game. Repair powder : yes. Repair through a merchant : why?

Cyrano

Doubt that is the problem. Go back and try DS1 for 5 mins. Every step you take, is like "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" and feels weighted. IDK how to explain it properly, but in this game I feel like I'm walking 4 inches over the environment. Noticed it the second I started walking around.
Yeah, the roll feels very different and so does moving around because both weight and rolling are now affected by equipment and AGL. The weight system also occurs along a spectrum rather than the hard limits on rolling that existed in Dark Souls 1. The only big changes occur past 70% weight and 100% weight in this game, and even they are similarly fluid (71% feels different from 80%, etc.). Again, for min-maxers and people who like crafting characters, Dark Souls 2 offers a lot more than the original did. Both visually and systemically.

Grief.exe

I've been playing through using www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/7. Basically, reveal footage look/lighting.

I hit
No Man's Warf
last night, and started running out of torch time. You run out pretty quick if you actually need to use the thing on a regular basis to move ahead. Very few enemies drop torches, and no NPCs sell them. Just an FYI for people who want to play through with reveal footage lighting.

I don't really see the point of restricting the usage of the torch.

You are already hamstrung by not having a shield equipped, the ability to go two-handed, or use spells (I have my chimes in my left-hand now due to Sunlight Blade), but you also get a ugly UI element to boot.

It's pretty easy to avoid breaking your weapons. There is a red bar underneath the weapon logo on your hud. If it's getting low switch weapons till you reach the next bonfire. You should always have a backup weapon.

LiK

It's pretty easy to avoid breaking your weapons. There is a red bar underneath the weapon logo on your hud. If it's getting low switch weapons till you reach the next bonfire. You should always have a backup weapon.

Yea, if you love a single weapon, try to get a second one for backup.

Czigga

He's talking about repairing the life protection ring if you die.

Soulhouf

Mother FUCK the Sea Bow. It won't drop for me. Going to have to ascetic No Man's Wharf. Am I right in thinking that there's only 4 Vangarian Archers (including 2 on the ship)?

I feel your pain since I have the same issue. The bonfire is already at +4 and the damn thing won't drop :(
Hopefully a kind soul here agreed to trade his.

He's talking about repairing the life protection ring if you die.

Ah my bad. Yeah I don't use those rings. Don't see a real need for them, since I kinda find this game easy. I wish they would of kept it like the first game and made those unrepairable. Either that or bump the cost up to 10000+.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so whats the trick / gimick with the
Chariot boss
? I only tried once and got 1 shot and dont even know what I could have done, I would like to know what is going on before I try again

justjim89

Just beat the Flexile Sentry in one try. Damn that was a pushover. That pillar in the middle of the room really made it easy to avoid attacks. I only had to deal with the fast half a time or two, I figured they'd have switched around more.

Sullichin

I am completely on board with how they did repairs/durability this time. You pretty much never had to repair anything in DS1 unless you used certain special moves and it was just this arbitrary thing you did at the bonfire sometimes. Now it makes sense. It naturally nudges you to try out new weapons, and call me crazy but I like the stress of keeping track of your weapon's durability. It's another reason to be happy when you find a bonfire, and it's another reason to drop down a small sign and help people out. The old knight weapons with their exceedingly low durabilty is annoying though, but I guess the damage balances it out?

Sullichin

Just beat the Flexile Sentry in one try. Damn that was a pushover. That pillar in the middle of the room really made it easy to avoid attacks. I only had to deal with the fast half a time or two, I figured they'd have switched around more.
Just wait until NG+

I feel your pain since I have the same issue. The bonfire is already at +4 and the damn thing won't drop :(
Hopefully a kind soul here agreed to trade his.

I didn't want to read this. Also I accidentally killed
Ornifex
in his first location while killing some ballisiks. So I think I'm screwed out of getting the composite bow instead.

Oops, double post.

so whats the trick / gimick with the
Chariot boss
? I only tried once and got 1 shot and dont even know what I could have done, I would like to know what is going on before I try again

Gotta keep going till you find a
lever that shuts a gate down and makes him crash into it.

Spend your souls early and often. No sense in hoarding them, except if there's something really specific you're aiming for.

Also, bank your souls items and use them as a boost if you're just missing a little bit for a specific purchase.

oh I didn't know that. Interesting.

What do you mean by this? What a souls item?

sixghost

That's the way I did it my first time, and it was really damn fun. I almost wish that was the way you had to fight her, as it made the boss unique. Fighting her with the poison drained makes her feel like a normal boss.
What do you mean by this? What a souls item?

He means not using the consumable souls you find. They're more valuable that normal souls you get from killing enemies or bosses, because even if you die, they stay in your inventory. Doing this is really useful because sometimes you'll find a vendor who sells a ton of spells, weapons, items, etc, that you need, and having 60,000 souls stocked up in your inventory means it doesn't matter if you find that guy with 0 souls.

Sullichin

That's the way I did it my first time, and it was really damn fun. I almost wish that was the way you had to fight her, as it made the boss unique. Fighting her with the poison drained makes her feel like a normal boss.

Pretty much this game's version of fighting Gaping Dragon with the channeler still alive or Iron Golem with the firebomb throwing giant still there.. but harder. A TON of people I helped didn't drain the poison first. I'm gonna guess it's because it's obscure to do, not because they wanted the challenge though :p

Maybesew

Pretty much this game's version of fighting Gaping Dragon with the channeler still alive or Iron Golem with the firebomb throwing giant still there.. but harder. A TON of people I helped didn't drain the poison first. I'm gonna guess it's because it's obscure to do, not because they wanted the challenge though :p

I found the same thing, so I moved my summon sign to a spot covered in poison so those players couldnt summon me anymore

Also damage is scaled down; enemy health isn't scaled up when playing co-op.

To be fair, the console version has a slew of minor technical foibles that the PC version was able to gloss over through brute force.

Also, the running animation is terrible. Strafing is even worse. Lock onto a unit and do a circle strafe and focus on the feet. It looks like you are moon walking.

Sullichin

I found the same thing, so I moved my summon sign to a spot covered in poison so those players couldnt summon me anymore

Great idea! I don't have time for hosts that die one second after entering the boss fog.

Also if I get summoned for Looking Glass Knight and you still have to go up that slow elevator... I'm leaving.

Gazoinks

FINALLY beat NG+
Freja
for my MLGS. That was probably not worth the effort, but I certainly feel good finally beating it! Dark Souls! Annoyingly, I had 140,000 souls but I got killed by the spider after I beat the boss and then got killed on my way back, so I lost all that. ;_;

Zeliard

There should be achievements for stuff like this instead of "You talked to this NPC that looks like the guy from the Witcher ONE time. Congratulations!"

Yeah the achievements in the game are almost uniformly uninteresting. It's unfortunate. They could have had some neat ones in there.

Taruranto

Ugh, all prompts use Xbox360 controller icons =_= "PC version will be prioritized" my ass, FROM.

How do you switch manually between one target and another? It's driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom