• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to sound ungrateful, but thats a whole lot of math and I still dont know what I should do. I have no idea if elemental dmg is any good in this game compared to DS1, I was asking more for advice than "here, go read a spreadsheet" :/

For infusing, I generally just consider that stat scaling. If the str/dex scaling is really high and my stats match those, leave it as normal. Otherwise, infuse with an element. Elemental infusion also scales off Int/Faith depending on which one, so definitely worth if you're a hybrid build if the elemental scaling ends up at S.

Gestahl

Finished the game but that limp-dicked ending left me so underwhelmed that I'm not sure if I'll bother killing the optional bosses. The world just wasn't as fun to explore as Lordran, everything felt so by the numbers and pedestrian. Black Gulch was literally just a shitty little hallway which was a bummer since The Gutter was essentially a worse version of upper Blighttown already. The introduction of warping from start seemed to compromise the level design as well since it meant the developers gave less of a crap on whether a player can traverse both ways from a location (what was funny was finding the little nub of death at the end of Amana on top of the tower and seeing all these messages about Death and Sadness, I'm guessing you can survive that with the cat ring but still why have that lip there in the first place if you can't get back up).

The story also seemed really strained and forced most of the time, like at the beginning and everytime someone uttered the word DARK. Like that had some meaning in Dark Souls because of the deliberate dichotomy between light and dark but here they just never stop using that one fucking word and it winds up feeling completely meaningless.

Multiplayer is way better at least, summoning can be near instantaneous depending on your soul memory and there's simply more variety to it.

sixghost

I dont want to sound ungrateful, but thats a whole lot of math and I still dont know what I should do. I have no idea if elemental dmg is any good in this game compared to DS1, I was asking more for advice than "here, go read a spreadsheet" :/

Why not just test it out? You can always just remove the element if you don't like it. It's impossible for someone to just tell you which is better for your character as every situation is different. It's not like Dark Souls where you keep the weapon normal if your STR/DEX is high and go elemental if not.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Falling of ledges is BY FAR the #1 cause of death for me.

Also, dieing when an enemy drops an item will make that item dissapear forever. Died after killing a crystal lizard, died to the Pursuer after he dropped the Ring of Blades+1...now I can only get that in NG+...lame!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why not just test it out? You can always just remove the element if you don't like it. It's impossible for someone to just tell you which is better for your character as every situation is different. It's not like Dark Souls where you keep the weapon normal if your STR/DEX is high and go elemental if not.

because im super low on souls all the time lately, and even lower on the stones needed for infusing (I cant even do lightning for example) :/

another thing, when I go to a bonfire now, all of the zones and bonfires in the game show up with the ones I dont have being blacked out (but I can hover them), whats up with that? o_O

Superflat

Ugh. Got invaded like 8 times in the last ten minutes. Held my own though, only died once by getting double teamed. Fuck that belfry >:l

Gazoinks

Every soul you get regardless of how you acquired it or if you even used it at all is added to your soul memory.

That's what I thought. That's a really bizarre decision. I see what they were going for with Soul Memory, but penalizing you for souls that you haven't done anything with or lost is just baffling.

Superflat

That's what I thought. That's a really bizarre decision. I see what they were going for with Soul Memory, but penalizing you for souls that you haven't done anything with or lost is just baffling.

It works out for players who died a lot and are having trouble, so they can summon potentially stronger phantoms I guess. If you're pretty consistent with cashing in souls and you haven't lost a whole lot, then it potentially gives you an easier time with invaders too, since you'll likely be a higher soul level.

The longer people play though, i can see the system falling apart, eventually you won't be able to be matched with anyone because the pool gets so much smaller.

Mistel

Banned
Go get weapons that have the infusions already on them and try them out.

It works out for players who died a lot and are having trouble, so they can summon potentially stronger phantoms I guess. If you're pretty consistent with cashing in souls and you haven't lose a whole lot, then it potentially gives you an easier time with invaders too.

The longer people play though, i can see the system falling apart, eventually you won't be able to be matched with anyone because the pool gets so much smaller.

Don't think that works out for those people either seeing as it still has the Soul level restriction as well.

Sullichin

Physical scaling isn't as good as Dark Souls.
DEX scaling is worse than STR scaling.
Still, weapons with good scaling are generally not the best fit for infusing: the Sun Sword has A/A STR/DEX scaling. Making it lightning would add some crappy lightning scaling and lower the good scaling it has.
Meanwhile if you take a weapon that already has base lightning damage and infuse it with lightning, like the Heide Sword, you are adding lighting scaling to what already exists and you'll get a greater bonus. It can bring the scaling class from C to B for example.

So it really depends on the weapon. You want to lean in with whatever the weapon already scales with and how you set up your build. If you want to go pure melee pick a weapon with good scaling. If the weapon has bad/no scaling you might want to look into the raw/mundane paths.

Until I find a good katana for my dex build I have 3 - 4 weapons to choose from:
falchion +2 , ricard's rapier, notched whip, Drangleic Sword
which is the best for you?

En-ou

Falling of ledges is BY FAR the #1 cause of death for me.

Also, dieing when an enemy drops an item will make that item dissapear forever. Died after killing a crystal lizard, died to the Pursuer after he dropped the Ring of Blades+1...now I can only get that in NG+...lame!

why dont you create checkpoints? i do it all the time so i can mess around like killing the NPCs etc and then i revert back.

here is a program you can dl that will automatically create checkpoints for you at specified intervals. http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/26/?

Gazoinks

It works out for players who died a lot and are having trouble, so they can summon potentially stronger phantoms I guess. If you're pretty consistent with cashing in souls and you haven't lost a whole lot, then it potentially gives you an easier time with invaders too, since you'll likely be a higher soul level.

Yeah. It's a good idea in theory, but the implementation is iffy.

Anyways, what's a good place to stop on Int for a mage build? Are there any spells that require more than 40?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Physical scaling isn't as good as Dark Souls.
DEX scaling is worse than STR scaling.
Still, weapons with good scaling are generally not the best fit for infusing: the Sun Sword has A/A STR/DEX scaling. Making it lightning would add some crappy lightning scaling and lower the good scaling it has.
Meanwhile if you take a weapon that already has base lightning damage and infuse it with lightning, like the Heide Sword, you are adding lighting scaling to what already exists and you'll get a greater bonus. It can bring the scaling class from C to B for example.

So it really depends on the weapon. You want to lean in with whatever the weapon already scales with and how you set up your build. If you want to go pure melee pick a weapon with good scaling. If the weapon has bad/no scaling you might want to look into the raw/mundane paths.

my +10 greatsword has A in STR scaling, any infusing I do, even raw, drops the scaling. so I should leave it?

Jathaine

my +10 greatsword has A in STR scaling, any infusing I do, even raw, drops the scaling. so I should leave it?

It would depend on how much STR you have and how much the raw infusion increases the base damage by.
Raw trades scaling for base damage and can be good for some weapons. Probably not something with A scaling though.

nbthedude

Until I find a good katana for my dex build I have 3 - 4 weapons to choose from:
falchion +2 , ricard's rapier, notched whip, Drangleic Sword
which is the best for you?

Dagger for the win. Dagger is A scale with Dex and you can rack up combo bonus damage way faster than any other weapon. You can hit twice and roll in the same amount of time it takes you to swing once with another weapon.

ronny_1

Neo Member
Why From software why?!!!
Belfry Gargoyle
are a pain in the ass, I'm a fool thinking I was ready for this after solo
The Sentinels

PC Build Question re: Invasions.

I often have Steam online but in "show friends you are offline" mode. So I still can shop, download patches etc.. but I appear offline to my friends. I'm anti-social like that.

I have played 9+ hours of DS2 and have not been invaded yet by anyone, nor seen any summoning signs etc... I do see orange messages and my messages are getting rated.

Is playing in "appear offline" mode what is preventing any invasions? I have been hollow the whole time, but I thought you would still get invaded in DS2.

I joined the
Crestfallen guy's blue knight
covenant, hoping that would lead to some PvP action but no.

Also: is there a way to go human without burning a
eiffigy? I understand that burning an effigy will increase difficulty and respawn enemies, which I don't need right now.

Trying to not dig into wiki's and stuff so I can discover the game at my own pace but also want to make sure I'm not missing out on PvP stuff. Thanks!

AU Tiger

It took a few tries but I absolutely WRECKED the
3 Sentinels
last night.

Only got hit once and that was because of that absurdly long reach of that
spinning attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSGT13UQx4

^ Spoiler video for the boss fight. If you didn't click on any of my spoiler tags, I'm not really sure how to warn you what boss it is without spoiling it?? I guess it's the first boss that everyone is bitching about being the first really tough boss fight.

Sullichin

I often have Steam online but in "show friends you are offline" mode. So I still can shop, download patches etc.. but I appear offline to my friends. I'm anti-social like that.

I have played 9+ hours of DS2 and have not been invaded yet by anyone, nor seen any summoning signs etc... I do see orange messages and my messages are getting rated.

Is playing in "appear offline" mode what is preventing any invasions? I have been hollow the whole time, but I thought you would still get invaded in DS2.

I joined the

eiffigy? I understand that burning an effigy will increase difficulty and respawn enemies, which I don't need right now.

Trying to not dig into wiki's and stuff so I can discover the game at my own pace but also want to make sure I'm not missing out on PvP stuff. Thanks!

Burning an effigy is what did it. That's not how you become human. That limits multiplayer interactions for a while. You just use the effigy as a normal item to turn human.

Also, you can't summon people unless you're human. And you won't get invaded much in NG anyway.

Jathaine

I joined the

Invasions rarely happen in NG because obtaining a good few cracked red eye orbs is kind of annoying until NG+.

Expect invasions at that point, until then you'll want to hit up the Belfries and/or arenas if you want PvP action. Burning an effigy also stops most multiplayer temporarily.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Isn't the bracket "set" after 12million souls in memory to where SL and stuff doesn't even matter? You can be invaded as a SL 1 12 million SM by a SL 140 12 million SM?

Rhaknar

so...boss spoilers
Mirror Knight, the npc he summons is just a npc right, not an actual player like it was supposed to be once upon a time?

also quick question about a late zone, im scared!
in the Shrine of amana, is all this water a trap or is it shallow enough to walk on?
:(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
so...boss spoilers
Mirror Knight, the npc he summons is just a npc right, not an actual player like it was supposed to be once upon a time?

It'll try to summon a player, but someone has to have a red sign down or be using a cracked red eye orb while you're fighting him, so odds are very very slim of it ever not just being an NPC phantom.

is all this water a trap or is it shallow enough to walk on?
:(

Yes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So put the rapier in the left hand when you dual wield. You really don't have that many choices if you want an offhand weapon that can parry. You cannot parry if you are powerstanced.
Okay... well I don't want to use the rapier at all, but I didn't really think there were any besides the parrying dagger, which is why I wanted it. If there are I'd be interested, but for now it's still what I want. I'll have to play around with powerstancing. Also:
Very effective if you can master it; after a successful parry, if you hit RB/R1 before the enemy falls to the ground you will execute the guard break critical instead of the riposte critical, inflicting even more damage.
That alone sounds like it's worth using the parrying dagger for...

kanuuna

I reached Iron Keep on PC today and I've got to say that ENB works miracles, especially on that lava.
25-1-1398893093.jpg

eot

Banned
Iron Keep
After beating the area I went back and got the key in the first room now that I'd turned off the fire statues (the Iron Key). It says it opens the Iron Gate inside the keep, but I've looked everywhere and haven't found a use for it. Can someone please give me a hint :D

bobawesome

Iron Keep
After beating the area I went back and got the key in the first room now that I'd turned off the fire statues (the Iron Key). It says it opens the Iron Gate inside the keep, but I've looked everywhere and haven't found a use for it. Can someone please give me a hint :D

It's actually not in the Iron Keep at all. Think back to Forest of Fallen Giants.

Vuze

So I had a short-ish internet outage today and thus put steam into offline mode. I played "a bit" of DS2 (~2h) and made some good progress I might assume. It was the first time I had to use Steam in offline mode and wasn't quite sure how it would handle game tracking and achievements and apparently it didn't track anything :(

I'm confident that I've gotten at least one cheevo since I found a new covenant. Do you know if there is a way to get the achievements now? I tried to start the game again being logged on but no luck, they wouldn't pop.

Would be stupid if I had to miss out on some now. Minor issue, but you know, I like when the achievement progress bar slowly fills on my profile.

AU Tiger

I haven't had any luck parrying or backstabbing the Heide enemies, though I'd love to know for sure.

I coudln't manage to do it either. Initially I thought that they were simply too big or that their attacks do too much damage to be able to parry but there's a youtube video of a guy parrying
The Pursuer
so I'm not 100% sure if it's my shield I'm using (large leather shield +2) or just one of my stats aren't high enough to pull it off?? Or maybe my timing just sucks.

I'm also disappointed that I can't backstab the hedie enemies. Maybe because they're so easy to get behind? Same with the
big mummie guys in lost bastille
. no backstabbing action for them either :(

Kalnos

Banned
but there's a youtube video of a guy parrying
The Pursuer
so I'm not 100% sure if it's my shield I'm using (large leather shield +2)

I used that shield and chain parried him both times I fought him. It's really easy to do on the attack where he charges.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I coudln't manage to do it either. Initially I thought that they were simply too big or that their attacks do too much damage to be able to parry but there's a youtube video of a guy parrying
The Pursuer
so I'm not 100% sure if it's my shield I'm using (large leather shield +2) or just one of my stats aren't high enough to pull it off?? Or maybe my timing just sucks.
I tried for a while... I don't think what you're using to parry should matter, just the timing. But no dice for them. I wish there was some way to be sure.
I'm also disappointed that I can't backstab the hedie enemies. Maybe because they're so easy to get behind? Same with the
big mummie guys in lost bastille
. no backstabbing action for them either :(
Yeah, disappointing, but it would be pretty OP against them (the former, anyway).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Doing this seems exceedingly scummy to me but I'm unsurprised people would be interested in being able to do that automatically.

Nothing wrong with wanting to experiment. Also, if a game has the possibility of bugging, being hacked, or screwing you over in some way that's not a direct consequence of your own action, it's absolutely understandable to want to have a backup to fix any unjust action that might have happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom