• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I never figured out the parry timing. I'd just use a greatshield but the weight is ridiculous.

also after I went to the castle a bunch of things with question marks showed up in my bonfire warp list. is that places I missed or will I be going more places later?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I never figured out the parry timing. I'd just use a greatshield but the weight is ridiculous.

also after I went to the castle a bunch of things with question marks showed up in my bonfire warp list. is that places I missed or will I be going more places later?

When you hit the castle it shows all the bonfires you don't have yet.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Iron Keep
After beating the area I went back and got the key in the first room now that I'd turned off the fire statues (the Iron Key). It says it opens the Iron Gate inside the keep, but I've looked everywhere and haven't found a use for it. Can someone please give me a hint :D

Locked door before the Last Giant in Forest of Giants

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm interesting, 35 hours in and im actually finally raging, I thought it would have been sooner. Im talking full blown, out loud cursing, grabbing my hair raging lol

Shrine of amara, fucking sorceror missile spamming cunts. its not even that hard, im just fucking up argh.

might call it here, gotta go to work soon anyway, im just sloppy atm

L.O.R.D

just beat
looking glass knight
it was very hard fight
but in the castle , there was a man tide upside down to a cage , and inside that cage is a women , tried to press on it and there is no key
should i kill him ?

LiK

just beat
looking glass knight
it was very hard fight
but in the castle , there was a man tide upside down to a cage , and inside that cage is a women , tried to press on it and there is no key
should i kill him ?

you can try
you can't kill him. he's immortal.

Trying to maximize my mobility and stamina regen. If you can't make 25% equip load should you just aim for 50 or is 30 still better than 50? 25 is a real pain in the ass to hit.

xBladeM6x

I believe I just made someone's shit list. I summoned someone for jolly cooperation for The Pursuer fight, and I shot the person with the giant crossbow, and not the boss.

mfwmycontentneverhitsthefrontpage_ae4222857983ef2e629ad35374167ec6.jpg

Mistel

Banned
I believe I just made someone's shit list. I summoned someone for jolly cooperation for The Pursuer fight, and I shot the person with the giant crossbow, and not the boss.
If you kill the pursuer just after the host dies you still get the souls. Merely a casualty they were nothing to worry about.

Haunted

Ok, here's the single most glaring technical fault I've found in the game so far. It's not the low poly environments, the sometimes dodgy texture work, the missing colour depth or lack of dynamic lighting in certain areas.

It's the goddamn animation LOD that's plainly visible when you start sniping faraway enemies with a bow. It looks fucking terrible. I guess they did that to save precious ram in the console versions as it's really simplifying the running animation of enemies (it almost looks like stop motion, as if only keyframes are animated without the inbetweens).

It looks bad, it's glaringly obvious, it happens all the time and there's no damn reason to have it in the PC version at all. ram is not a limiting factor these days, any system that can handle the game could handle a full animation cycle kicking in from farther away.

/rant

but hole

Zeliard

Do I really need to level up Adaptability? I haven't raised it at all.

You ideally want to get your Agility stat to 95-100 through ADP and/or Attunement. If you're a magic user you don't need to concentrate on ADP as much as a pure melee character since ATTN also increases your Agility, albeit at a slower rate.

So I finally beat
Smelter Demon
but I got
Lucatiel killed in the process.

Apparently I
failed her quest. Did I lose anything of value?
I'm just happy I finally beat that boss. It took me forever.

So I finally beat
Smelter Demon
but I got
Lucatiel killed in the process.

Apparently I
failed her quest. Did I lose anything of value?
I'm just happy I finally beat that boss. It took me forever.

You don't fail the quest if she dies. You have to defeat three bosses without her dying. So you can still fight other bosses, or use bonfire ascetic to respawn Smelter Demon and try again.

i just got to shaded woods. My god, im convinced now the game was rushed out. That level literally has one repeating texture for its entire ground. It looks abysmal. Theres hardly any props like grass or twigs or rocks or anything, just that one texture everywhere. Its ridiculous looking. God i hope people can mod it. It wouldve been a cool looking area if well, any effort had been put into it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so im in
Shrine of Anara
, how far into it am I? 2/3 more or less?

You don't fail the quest if she dies. You have to defeat three bosses without her dying. So you can still fight other bosses, or use bonfire ascetic to respawn Smelter Demon and try again.

Well I've
already beaten 2 other bosses that you can summon her for by myself. The only boss I beat while keeping her alive was The lost sinner.

I definitely
won't be using a bonfire ascetic for smelter demon because I could barely beat him on NG difficulty. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it just me or does armor, even extremely heavy armor such as the
havel set
not have too large an effect on decreasing taken damage? At least, not as much as in DkS1. Might just be me though.

Armor doesn't really come into it's own until upgraded. Upgrading armor has a much bigger effect in this then DkS1.

purg3

slept with Malkin
havel set
not have too large an effect on decreasing taken damage? At least, not as much as in DkS1. Might just be me though.

It's not just you, poise also isn't as effective as it used to be.

Rhaknar

Yea 2/3's is about right

do you happen to know if I passed / skipped / missed
Havel's armo
r by now? im such a STR / Tanky character I might aswell use it (I never did in DS1, I used Black knight armor)

Mman235

havel set

Heavy armour has a way bigger effect on the damage you take than the previous games, especially when it's upgraded.

tariniel

The gargoyles, and their area, is some serious shit in this game. I struggled through several hours of attempts to beat them solo. The gargoyle fight itself is hard, but the area is the real problem.

Every other run to the boss door I'd get invaded. Sometimes I could just run by them into the door, sometimes not, and I would usually die, or be out estus that I desperately needed on the gargoyles fights.

If I tried to summon help, I always got invaded by two people, who would either kill me before I found anyone to help, or killed my helper/me, AND I'd be out an effigy.

It was one of the most un-fun areas in the entire game. This will be one of those things in the future, when I feel like replaying the game, I'll think about the gargoyles and say, no, I don't think I will. Oh wait, the entire area turned out to be optional, didn't it?

I then proceeded to join the covenant, invade people and farm 30+ chunks to upgrade ALL THE THINGS. I am scum.

R1CHO

So I had a short-ish internet outage today and thus put steam into offline mode. I played "a bit" of DS2 (~2h) and made some good progress I might assume. It was the first time I had to use Steam in offline mode and wasn't quite sure how it would handle game tracking and achievements and apparently it didn't track anything :(

I'm confident that I've gotten at least one cheevo since I found a new covenant. Do you know if there is a way to get the achievements now? I tried to start the game again being logged on but no luck, they wouldn't pop.

Would be stupid if I had to miss out on some now. Minor issue, but you know, I like when the achievement progress bar slowly fills on my profile.

Just abandon and then rejoin the covenant while online, the cheevo will pop out.

HoosTrax

havel set
I don't know, Havel does mitigate damage rather noticeably imho, at least with the chestpiece at +5.

I'm kind of ambivalent about using Havel, as I find myself getting lazy. Like the Undead Purgatory boss, for example. You can basically just walk through without being too digilent about avoiding the boss, because he only does half a health bar's worth of damage, giving you plenty of time to heal.

I nearly had a heart attack. I'm at
Drangleic Castle, SL 130
, finally got to the
Looking Glass Knight
boss fight. I set up the game in windowed mode this time for reasons but I played through the rest of the game in fullscreen.

Thought he'd be a tough one but it turns out my
Mastodon Halberd +7
deals a hefty damage on him (mind you, this is my first encounter with him), so I steadily started chipping his HP. Got quite used to his attacks and just as I was about two hits away from victory, fucking Firefox decides to crash so I get a "We're sorry" window in the middle of my DS2. Started yelling NONONONONONONO like a lunatic. And then, I swear, with the swiftness of an eagle I shifted my hands on the mouse, frantically clicking on the DS2 window and clutched my controller, palms sweating, with revived determination and thanking the gods for not perishing so foolishly. Jumped right in and finished the bastard on my first try.

Feels like having a soul of a proud knight myself. Love this game.

sixghost

Ok, here's the single most glaring technical fault I've found in the game so far. It's not the low poly environments, the sometimes dodgy texture work, the missing colour depth or lack of dynamic lighting in certain areas.

It's the goddamn animation LOD that's plainly visible when you start sniping faraway enemies with a bow. It looks fucking terrible. I guess they did that to save precious ram in the console versions as it's really simplifying the running animation of enemies (it almost looks like stop motion, as if only keyframes are animated without the inbetweens).

It looks bad, it's glaringly obvious, it happens all the time and there's no damn reason to have it in the PC version at all. ram is not a limiting factor these days, any system that can handle the game could handle a full animation cycle kicking in from farther away.

/rant

but hole
It's been really surprising to see people complaining about so many aspects of the game but not this. I can take bad textures and stuff, but the animations look ridiculous when this happens.

Grief.exe

I first noticed that animation issue in No Man's Wharf with the dogs walking.

It's horrible. All animations seem to drop to 10 FPS at a certain distance.

Levyne

Banned
I see items to the right of the fog door
past all the wizards in the Shrine of Amana. I already found the path leading to an Estus Shard. I;m using a torch to see the floor. Can't find a path to these items though.

Also I'm scared to tackle the
Cyclops to the left since D:

HoosTrax

Regarding the backstory of the DS games -- I guess I missed a lot by not playing past Ornstein/Smough huh? Is everyone dead in the two games (affected by the hollowing disease)? I assume yes since everyone accepts souls as currency.

(Don't give too much away if it's explained more thoroughly in the latter half of DS1 -- I planning on replaying it and finishing it once it get changed to full Steamworks)

HoosTrax

So now I'm getting conflicting answers. So I'm guessing the armor's effect mostly comes after upgrading them, rather than being decent from the start? I simply got the feeling that having incredibly high armor (and thus >70% weight) isn't worth the loss of rolling freely, because you still take significant amounts of damage (especially from bosses, let alone if you come across a boss/enemy that can't be blocked). In other words, I got the feeling that medium armor + rolling > Heavily armored tank.
There is a ring that raises your load capacity. Also, the chestpiece gives the most defense, followed by the pants, and so on. Best results are sometimes just to put on a heavily upgraded top and go naked elsewhere, than to wear a full set of lesser armor.

eot

Banned
Shaded Woods
I rescued the Harpy lady and she said to go find her in her home, which I can't find. Is it in another area?

Haunted

somehow spoiler

stay classy , Dark souls community

edit : why the spoiler tag not working with picture ?

how to get to her ?
spoiler tags do not work with pictures. What do you want the forum to do? Show a giant black square? :D

Just link to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom