• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitor711

It takes a moment to get the speed for a sprint. And yeah, if you run out of stamina you need to wait a bit.

Shields are raised and then, after a brief moment, put into a blocking position. In DK2, you're committing to a block or being hit; there is no more ninja-blocking. I've got no idea if Agility affects the speed of this or whether it is shield specific.

I haven't found shields very useful in DK2 and I think these changes are part of it.

Actually you don't need to wait. Roll once and you can magically sprint again. Of course, you won't be able to sprint for long but it does mean that you don't have to wait for the bar to refill at all.

Haunted

Aldia's Keep
There's half a dozen messages saying 'pull back' that I can't rate. Are those developer messages? Does pull back mean pull the lever back or pull back from it? Also, the dragon skeleton was missing the second time I went in there, the alive part anyway.
They are developer messages and mean "go away". Maybe explore that room a bit more, and then decide...

Nothing happened heh.
oh noooooo

U5mwcPB.jpg

I did the same on my first playthrough.

Haunted

I loved The Gutter. Never really saw the amount of hate it got, honestly.
The Gutter is better than Blighttown or the Valley of Defilement, but not really for design reasons (well, it's less annoying), but only because of the torch lighting mechanic, imo.

Made that area a real journey of discovery and exploration, which is always a great feeling.

Could it be that Vendrick is
actually our character from Dark Souls 1? That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I found out he had found the four great souls before, but I don't know how that might fit in the timeline of the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
actually our character from Dark Souls 1? That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I found out he had found the four great souls before, but I don't know how that might fit in the timeline of the game.

If that's the case then why isn't Vendrick using the Great Scythe?

ElFly

This was my first thought but I have to conclude that no. My second thought was that he was
Solaire
but it fails for the same reasons.

The mention of several kingdoms with different names between Lordran and Drangleic mean that, even if Vendrick beat the 4 "old ones", the situation had changed -but it was similar- from Dark Souls 1. Vendrick probably beat a different set of bosses than we face in DkS1, and DkS2 for that matter.

Haunted

Sounds like you got hit with a laggy guard break, which opens you up for a critical hit. Unfortunate, but it'd be the same thing with a dagger.
It's still crazy to me that they introduced a third "lock animation" in this game in addition to backstab and riposte and didn't bother explaining it in the tutorial.

Definitely not. However, given that the land is stuck repeating cycles, it is implied that what the player character did back when Lordran existed was also done by other heroes in their respective cycles. So Vendrick was basically the latest hero of the previous cycle and made the same kind of journey, like the player character did back in Lordran.

aeolist

Banned
i've had some weird hitbox collisions maybe 1 or 2 times, but that's about it

my main problem with the game is that its idea of a difficult enemy encounter seems to be just throwing swarms of shitty little enemies at me at once. in a series that emphasizes kiting and getting enemies to fight you one at a time, so many contrived encounters that make you fight a crowd with no option to avoid them is really annoying.

i also don't really like the world design. DS1 was smaller but the interconnectedness was incredible and it felt like i always had a good idea what i should be doing, with some side options. DS2 is so damn big with so many different ways to go i've gotten lost and forgotten some obvious paths more than once, and it seems like i run across a locked door every 2 minutes.

it's still really great though.

If that's the case then why isn't Vendrick using the Great Scythe?
You might have misspelled Man Serpent Greatsword there. But yeah, I've been asking myself that as well.

This was my first thought but I have to conclude that no. My second thought was that he was
Solaire
but it fails for the same reasons.

The mention of several kingdoms with different names between Lordran and Drangleic mean that, even if Vendrick beat the 4 "old ones", the situation had changed -but it was similar- from Dark Souls 1. Vendrick probably beat a different set of bosses than we face in DkS1, and DkS2 for that matter.
It'd be cool if the possible DLC would be set in Vendrick's past. The very first place I went when I received the
memory thingie from the Ancient Dragon
was Vendrick's room, but alas, nothing happened.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
in a series that emphasizes kiting and getting enemies to fight you one at a time, so many contrived encounters that make you fight a crowd with no option to avoid them is really annoying.

I think you emphasize that more than the series does. I always considered something like arrowing an enemy then kiting them away as more of an exploit than intended and most times would run in and have to just handle multiple enemies.

ElFly

I think you emphasize that more than the series does. I always considered something like arrowing an enemy then kiting them away as more of an exploit than intended and most times would run in and have to just handle multiple enemies.

IMHO From could never make arrows -at least yours- work well along with the rest of the game. Amana is probably yet another iteration of wanting you to have good ranged gameplay, but I feel the results are mixed -but at least better than killing the dragons with arrows in Demon-.

Project Beast dude appearing with a shotgun make me hope they restrict it from being used as a sniper rifle.

aeolist

Banned

let me put it a different way: it's a series that emphasizes learning all of the interacting game systems and using that knowledge to overcome challenges

kiting and getting enemies alone was the best way to get past some otherwise stupidly hard fights in the first game, and was itself interesting and fun. fighting a giant swarm of skeletons/zombies/rats is tedious and not fun.

Just uploaded Episode 4 of my series cataloging all of my deaths. Editing these is a little rough, nothing worse than listening to your own voice for hours and hours.

In this episode we are blessed by the presence of the Dual Dragonriders, explore Shrine of Amana, and get to know the Looking Glass Knight. Oh yeah, and the cyclops hippos kill me about a billion times.

Thanks for checking these out guys. You the best.

Haunted

So you guys know the mushroom-looking enemies in
Earthen Peak
and the
Shrine of Amana.

I hope a picture of a regular enemy isn't too much of a spoiler.

6B86b68.png

I NEVER NOTICED THEY ARE SMALL CRITTERY BUGS WITH A BIG POISON SACK ON THEIR BACK HOLY SHIT THAT MAKES THINGS A MILLION TIMES WORSE

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
let me put it a different way: it's a series that emphasizes learning all of the interacting game systems and using that knowledge to overcome challenges

kiting and getting enemies alone was the best way to get past some otherwise stupidly hard fights in the first game, and was itself interesting and fun. fighting a giant swarm of skeletons/zombies/rats is tedious and not fun.

I can see your point more there yeah.

The only time I ever really felt like a swarm was overwhelmingly large though was
the rat gauntlet.

Earthen Peak
and the
Shrine of Amana.

6B86b68.png

I NEVER NOTICED THEY ARE SMALL CRITTERY BUGS WITH A BIG POISON SACK ON THEIR BACK HOLY SHIT THAT MAKES THINGS A MILLION TIMES WORSE

What did you think they were?

ElFly

My last playthrough of DS1 was with the aggression mod so DS2 forcing group encounters is p great to me.

Haunted

I disagree, I enjoy both types of combat. Mano a mano is nice, but cutting a swathe through a lot of enemies at once is also great.

I think the Royal Rat Vanguard fight is awesome, if it weren't for those damn statues.

Sullichin

Earthen Peak
and the
Shrine of Amana.

6B86b68.png

Actually never noticed this. Kind of thought they were just mushrooms that somehow shuffled around.

Grief.exe

Earthen Peak
and the
Shrine of Amana.

6B86b68.png

It almost looks like the bug that crawls into Lost Sinner's eye.

Gazoinks

The Gutter is better than Blighttown or the Valley of Defilement, but not really for design reasons (well, it's less annoying), but only because of the torch lighting mechanic, imo.

Made that area a real journey of discovery and exploration, which is always a great feeling.

Yeah, exactly!

Earthen Peak
and the
Shrine of Amana.

6B86b68.png

Don't worry, it took me a really long time to notice this too. I thought they were little mushroom dudes.

Haunted

What did you think they were?
Some sort of walking poisonous mushroom, like the ones in DS1, but not quite as people-like.

But I've been known to not pay enough attention to enemy designs, I thought for the longest time the two huge orbs on top of Basilisks' heads were their eyes.

Basiliskeyes.jpg

Gxgear

Can't be since Vendrick didn't link the flames or become the Dark Lord.

Levyne

Banned
Some sort of walking poisonous mushroom, like the ones in DS1, but not quite as people-like.

But I've been known to not pay enough attention to enemy designs, I thought for the longest time the two huge orbs on top of Basilisks' heads were their eyes.

Basiliskeyes.jpg

woah..

ElFly

Can't be since Vendrick didn't link the flames or become the Dark Lord.

Have you noticed that
the serpent statues in Shrine of Winter are decapitated.

Me thinks Vendrick was being saluted by the serpents for not linking the fire, and then wtfpwned them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Basiliskeyes.jpg

I've never noticed this bug head either, I thought they were like diseased mushrooms or something!

Wait so is it a bug with a fungus growning ON it, or is the fungus part of it's body?

I had thought it was some weird mushroom bug, where instead of like a body it just had this fungus body.

Haunted

Wait so is it a bug with a fungus growning ON it, or is the fungus part of it's body?

I had thought it was some weird mushroom bug, where instead of like a body it just had this fungus body.
"A species of Horn Beetle which has developed the ability to release a cloud of corrosive fungal spores into the surrounding air. These peculiar insects reside in the damp caves of the
Shrine of Amana
and represent a nominal threat to the equipment, if not the lives of passerby."

Fucking digusting either way. :lol I'd take a shuffling mushroom over those beetles any day.

Uthred

I disagree, I enjoy both types of combat. Mano a mano is nice, but cutting a swathe through a lot of enemies at once is also great.

I think the Royal Rat Vanguard fight is awesome, if it weren't for those damn statues.

I feel the same way, one on one fights, especially by kiting one guy away sort of trivialised the difficulty in the series. I prefer how DS2 mixes things up with groups of enemies, it felt a little jarring at first but then I started to enjoy the extra challenge of taking on a group at once. Not to extrapolate too much but I think it sort of exemplifies DS2' different approach to things, in DS1 the stretches between bonfires were long and the tension came from the war of attrition resrouce managment required to move between them. It feels like DS2 is trying to make each encounter tenser/more difficult and similarly make resource management more of a "per encounter" element (the warping and increased number of bonfires etc. tie into this I think). I enjoy both approaches, and both approaches have their weak points. Hopefully for the next game we get a blended and polished implementation of both.

Basiliskeyes.jpg

Whaaaaat?

Also didn't notice the bug part of the mushroom things until late in the game. Thought they were some kind of slug-like fungus that moped around.

Grief.exe

After my blind play through, the only gesture I am missing is from Agdayne.

I would have had that one too, but my little torch buddy caused them to aggro.

Moff

thats definitely what I thought, but I know nothing about dark souls lore.
then I read
that aeons have passed since the first game, so whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom